FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUkraine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 10:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^^ The idea of a global currency was discussed at the 2009 G20 summit, and was published online in their minutes of that meeting. It's not a fait accompli though.

There's too much global resistence to it from those who hold on to the idea of nation states, rather than a global community.

But the bankers have so much power!Confused We don't know if Putin is in bed with them, but I think otherwise cause their owned media is very much anti-Putin...We little guys will just sit around and observe what happens... It's interesting to think that our elites will just share the resources and the cheap labor without a lot of wars and conflicts....Greed has no end.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 10:40
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

After the Ukrainian crisis, Putin's popularity in Russia has grown a lot. That all seems catastrophic to me. After 30 minutes spent outdoors I met a few people who wear T-shirts with Putin and even Medvedev's photos printed. I've never seen before anybody with Putin T'shirt on him.

That reminds me a lot of Wag the Dog, a political satire movie. It's a shame that so much people got caught in patriotic psychosis. Because Putin is not a figure to honour. He is an oppressor who holds a bunch of brainless thieves at the State Duma who are writing more and more idiotic and oppressive laws each week.

Education is gettin worse and worse, most of the young people barely have any education at all (don't know what they're learning at school, but frighteningly lot of people here even believe that Sun revolves around Earth).

And to those who think he's more of a Soviet leader..... You might be right when it comes to his cult of personality, but you should also look to Russian history and those remembered in Russian history are people like him! I'm sorry to mention this, but if you look at guys from Ivan the terrible, Peter, Catherine, Alexander II, Lenin, Stalin and now Putin -> They all ruled with an absolute iron fist, feared secret police, national religion and a cult of personality.....I've met a lot of Russians in my time around this area and even most of the well-educated people I've met like him, even a lot of old Whites...

Yes, the truth is that all the leaders who put Russia onto wheels of progress were also oppressors, tyrants. It's a strange thing, but when a tyrant comes to the leadership, Russia starts to develop, when the leader is not a tyrant, it slowly degrades.

But Putin barely made anything for inner development, that's all I see. He put some things to the right in early 2000's (i.e. pulled down the effused criminal world etc), but afer a couple of years he and all his goverment became simple parasites. That's how I cannot understand how someone could call him a strong politician.

Millions of people were killed during the Stalin's era, but Stalin also made a world-power out of then-devastated USSR, so I can understand if someone would call Stalin a strong politician. But Putin? Huh? He's a simple parasite with despotical behaviour.
This night wounds time.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 10:48
In all of this, Obama's pacifism will be the casualty.  In principle, he is right not to want a war because wars never end well.  But the problem is the Allies were supposed to protect Ukraine from exactly such intrusions in return for Ukraine giving up their nuclear weapons.  So they are not keeping their end of the bargain.  And the knowledge that they may not will only embolden Putin.  The only 'saving grace' is he doesn't seem to be a crazed fanatic like Hitler.  He is just a cold blooded, calculating dictator moving coins on a chess board one at a time.  He is trying to gain as much of an upper hand as he can without getting into too much trouble.  But if he gets too confident, too cocksure of his ability to derive said advantage, we are going to have a massive problem on our hands, a WW III for sure.
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 11:05
Nah, nobody wants a WW III, all the WW III speculation sounds like Cold War slogans. The modern war is the informational war, and now it's in the heat.

Perhaps, only full-blown criminals like Kim Jong-un could think of starting a WW III, but thankfully they have not enough power to do that.
This night wounds time.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 11:06
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

In all of this, Obama's pacifism will be the casualty.  In principle, he is right not to want a war because wars never end well.  But the problem is the Allies were supposed to protect Ukraine from exactly such intrusions in return for Ukraine giving up their nuclear weapons.  So they are not keeping their end of the bargain.  And the knowledge that they may not will only embolden Putin.  The only 'saving grace' is he doesn't seem to be a crazed fanatic like Hitler.  He is just a cold blooded, calculating dictator moving coins on a chess board one at a time.  He is trying to gain as much of an upper hand as he can without getting into too much trouble.  But if he gets too confident, too cocksure of his ability to derive said advantage, we are going to have a massive problem on our hands, a WW III for sure.

I wouldn't go that far... Read less of the bankers' propaganda...The Ukrainian "Euro-Maidan" was definitely not organized and funded by US NGOs? The situation is much more complex than simple Western democracies vs a Russian tyrant. Putin is not a dictator, he's a Tsar. Mind you Russia is not Iraq, it's the largest country by landmass in the world..., I don't think this will be pretty in the end...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 11:11

Nah, nobody wants a WW III, all the WW III speculation sounds like Cold War slogans. The modern war is the informational war, and now it's in the heat.

Perhaps, only full-blown criminals like Kim Jong-un could think of starting a WW III, but thankfully they have not enough power to do that.

Kim Jong-Un is a puppet in the hands of the Chinese government... He's going to do what's he's told, which is not start World War III, but to create some tension in the region.

Putin is an elite, he's prone to parasitic behavior and despotic behavior.....LOL

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 11:55

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I wouldn't go that far... Read less of the bankers' propaganda...The Ukrainian "Euro-Maidan" was definitely not organized and funded by US NGOs? The situation is much more complex than simple Western democracies vs a Russian tyrant. Putin is not a dictator, he's a Tsar. Mind you Russia is not Iraq, it's the largest country by landmass in the world..., I don't think this will be pretty in the end...

It is indeed more complex.  Nor was I insinuating that it's a typical LOTR scenario so perhaps I did not make myself very clear.  My point is simply that the allies have not kept their end of the bargain.  There is no incentive hereafter for any lesser nation to abandon nuclear weapons because what's happening in Ukraine is not very reassuring.  A columnist wrote a couple of weeks back that now every nation will think they ought to have nuclear weapons so they don't get bullied and I am inclined to agree.  It is unfortunate.    And Putin has had dreams of a new TransEurasian union for sometime so Western pacifism will certainly encourage him to chance his arm where he thinks the risk is low.    Things will be ok up to the point that a more trigger happy disposition takes over power in US.  After that...my hope is Putin will beat a strategic retreat and work out a compromise and that depends on him not getting drunk with his new found power.  I don't see much of a role for Europe, militarily, in this.  They have closer ties with Russia than US and the current situation, I am sure, is not very comfortable for them. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2014 at 11:58

I am sure nobody really wanted either of the earlier World Wars save for Hitler.  But it happened.  I don't see WW III as a likely event simply because...nuclear weapons.  However, we cannot really breathe easy either with the situation being it is now.  It's an ideal situation for an opponent of Russia to exploit and drum up support for a military intervention.  I hope that long before such a scenario plays out, Russia stabilises and decides it's had its fill.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2014 at 03:12

^^^ The idea of a global currency was discussed at the 2009 G20 summit, and was published online in their minutes of that meeting. It's not a fait accompli though.

There's too much global resistence to it from those who hold on to the idea of nation states, rather than a global community.

But the bankers have so much power!Confused We don't know if Putin is in bed with them, but I think otherwise cause their owned media is very much anti-Putin...We little guys will just sit around and observe what happens... It's interesting to think that our elites will just share the resources and the cheap labor without a lot of wars and conflicts....Greed has no end.

We are back to the days where there is a clear divide between what Russia and the west want. This time it's not ideological. It's two forms of capitalism gong head to head. China is the duplicitous party; striking energey deals with Russia which may successfully mitigate the effects of many western sanctions on the Russian economy, while propping up the US economy by selling it's cheap goods over there..and owning a significant chunk of US debt, of course..

Russia wants its own 'new world order' on it's own terms. It would comprise similar economic models to that of the west, but they just don't want the US in charge of it. IMO

I do enjoy pierogies and borsch though! Thumbs Up

Edited by King of Loss - June 02 2014 at 16:52
yoshida View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 03:52
dudes, Putin is in full isolation in UN. He lost true vision of reality. He is a KGB guy who never cares about prosperity and personal freedom. He can't give nothing positive to the world around.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 07:28
Originally posted by yoshida yoshida wrote:

dudes, Putin is in full isolation in UN. He lost true vision of reality.
He is a KGB guy who never cares about prosperity and personal freedom.
He can't give nothing positive to the world around.

Does he really care about being isolated diplomatically? He still has plenty of economic allies, notably China and the other BRICS nations. He has just signed a deal with China for the supply of gas which will likely mitigate any impotent western sanctions thrown at him. The Kremlin is also considering ban on GMO's in Russia which would seriously dent the profits of western Agrochemical companies like Monsanto, Bayer et al..and while the west glorifies abortion and urges population control, Putin is encouraging Russians to get breeding. He fancies an honest shot at world domination and to be frank all there is to stop him is nuclear weapons. Economic sanctions will have negligable effect.

The west will need to do a deal with Russia at some point and concede some of Eastern Europe back to their sphere of influence. The further and quicker the EU goes down the toilet, the better proposition Russia will appear to be to former Soviet states in east Europe. Their people will look at whats happening in Ukraine, specifically the successfull re-claiming of Crimea and start asking questions about their own national identity and the validity of membership to the EU which appears to be facing an upheaval in light of a rise of the far right, terrible austerity and mass unemployment in the south. Interesting times.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 10:55

Originally posted by yoshida yoshida wrote:

dudes, Putin is in full isolation in UN. He lost true vision of reality.
He is a KGB guy who never cares about prosperity and personal freedom.
He can't give nothing positive to the world around.

Does he really care about being isolated diplomatically? He still has plenty of economic allies, notably China and the other BRICS nations. He has just signed a deal with China for the supply of gas which will likely mitigate any impotent western sanctions thrown at him. The Kremlin is also considering ban on GMO's in Russia which would seriously dent the profits of western Agrochemical companies like Monsanto, Bayer et al..and while the west glorifies abortion and urges population control, Putin is encouraging Russians to get breeding. He fancies an honest shot at world domination and to be frank all there is to stop him is nuclear weapons. Economic sanctions will have negligable effect.

The west will need to do a deal with Russia at some point and concede some of Eastern Europe back to their sphere of influence. The further and quicker the EU goes down the toilet, the better proposition Russia will appear to be to former Soviet states in east Europe. Their people will look at whats happening in Ukraine, specifically the successfull re-claiming of Crimea and start asking questions about their own national identity and the validity of membership to the EU which appears to be facing an upheaval in light of a rise of the far right, terrible austerity and mass unemployment in the south. Interesting times.

While no one really cares about the suffering of ordinary Ukrainians. Western and Russian politicians like to talk a great talk about either pro-Western or pro-Russian Ukrainians, but they couldn't give a f**king rat's ass about ordinary Ukrainians. I've talked to many of them here in Boston who joined the Euro-maidan. They're idealistic about a more brighter future, but I think they've been deceived here... Ouch

I don't think Russia is diplomatically isolated... Maybe from the US and its allies..But mind some of the states that voted for the UN resolution condemining the Crimean annexation only did so in theory because it was clearly a violation of the UN charter, but what great power hasn't done something similar in the past with the UN in place? The ideas of international cooperation, but right now, it's like a great idea on a great china vase.

I think most people don't try to understand Russia or the Russia's point of view, which I think has been a significant mistake in the last 20 years. The Russians want to be treated as an equal power, which they won't get from the Western plutocrats. I've talked to some Russians -> They mostly want to be Russia to be a a global power again, not just a vassal state, even many of these people that were very much strongly opposed to Putin..... P.S. not that I believe in any of what they think and do, but a lot of them fear the West trying to separate their empire into several different pieces.

Read up on a key important policy influencer, Zbigniew Brzezinski, and his views on "separating Russia into several autonomous republics". 

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 02:33

"Russia has a really big plagiarism problem. So many businessmen, academics and high-ranking government officials — President Vladimir Putin included — have been found to have plagiarized their college and doctoral theses that Russia’s education minister just denounced the revelations, saying they were hurting Russia’s reputation.

“People not versed in this topic will get the idea that all academics are cheats and liars,” Education and Science Minister Dmitry Livanov just told the Kommersant newspaper, according to a Russian news agency. ”It’s a severe reputational problem for Russian science.” 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/03/18/russias-plagiarism-problem-even-putin-has-done-it/

Btw, it's a same thing now with Serbia's "elite" national-chauvinistic politicians who were "graduated" during '90s LOL

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 16:21
Mhmm.. I'm going to resurrect this thread..

An emergency session of the UN will commence.... Oh dear....What do you think Russia and then the West will do?Thumbs Down
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 16:24
Let's see... if it involves the UN then maybe they will make a very STRONG announcement and following that a DIRE warning and then condemn the whole thing before they go home.

Edited by aapatsos - August 05 2014 at 16:24
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 00:02
An interesting video on Putin's agression in Ukraine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2962&v=8WA1rP5WGfY
Dr. Phillip Karber, as the President of the Potomac Foundation and a veteran defense analyst as well, explained Putin's "hybrid warfare" campaign in eastern Ukraine.

Edited by Svetonio - April 15 2015 at 00:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910