Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pink Floyd demos of "Animals" appear by magic...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd demos of "Animals" appear by magic...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd demos of "Animals" appear by magic...
    Posted: January 29 2014 at 15:34
Wow, this is huge if you're a Floyd fan. "Alternative" or demo versions of Floyd's Raving and Drooling, Dogs, and Pigs from 1976 are now streaming online for free over at Neptune:

Edited by jude111 - January 29 2014 at 16:10
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2014 at 16:23
They're on the tube as well. I'll just post Dogs but Sheep and Pigs are easily found in the right column.

Edited by silverpot - January 29 2014 at 16:23
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2014 at 18:17

I think I like Sheep best; Waters' voice is great on this one, what with those screams. I like Dogs the least - Roger's voice doesn't suit the song, imo.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 09:09
Yeah, I think they made an absolute right choice to not let Roger sing the whole Dogs on his own. It's really hard to listen to him. LOL 
However, my hunch is that he wanted to sing it, but this time there were no Harper to step in so David had to do it, although he didn't appreciate the lyrics that much (just like he thought Have a Cigar was hypocritical and refused to sing that one).
That's also the reason why Gilmour never plays Dogs live, even if it's his best guitar solo (IMO) and the audience would love to hear it.

In this early version of Sheep it's probably Waters on bass. On the finished album it's Gilmour. Pigs has Gilmour on bass from the start, obviously.

Anyway, it's candy for Floyd anoraks, and I wonder where these tapes come from.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 09:45
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Yeah, I think they made an absolute right choice to not let Roger sing the whole Dogs on his own. It's really hard to listen to him. LOL 
However, my hunch is that he wanted to sing it, but this time there were no Harper to step in so David had to do it, although he didn't appreciate the lyrics that much (just like he thought Have a Cigar was hypocritical and refused to sing that one).
That's also the reason why Gilmour never plays Dogs live, even if it's his best guitar solo (IMO) and the audience would love to hear it.

In this early version of Sheep it's probably Waters on bass. On the finished album it's Gilmour. Pigs has Gilmour on bass from the start, obviously.

I'm still convinced the band must've recorded You Gotta Be Crazy and Raving and Drooling in a studio in '74 or early '75, since they were playing those tracks live already. I would love to hear those, because the Floyd of WYWH sounded different than the Floyd of Animals. From what I've read, Waters tried to "punk" up Animals due to punk's emergence - therefore, there's presumably less of Richard Wright's keyboards, which were so pronounced during WYWH - and those 2 tracks were written during that same period.

I love Dogs. My favorite vocals by David are actually the way he sang it on some of the boots that are out there, when the song was still "You Gotta Be Crazy." The one that was released for the WYWH box set is excellent too. I agree about his soloing on that track, it's among my favorites by him as well. 

Edited by jude111 - January 30 2014 at 09:48
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 10:30
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Wow, this is huge if you're a Floyd fan. "Alternative" or demo versions of Floyd's Raving and Drooling, Dogs, and Pigs from 1976 are now streaming online for free over at Neptune:

These are NOT alternative. I think that Roger finally got tired of hearing about it from me (hehe!), and the fact that at least 20 bootlegs had them in 1974 and 1975. Now go take a look at your dates, and you'll go ... timewarp ... baby! But, it has a tendency to distort their history and what was and wasn't. In the "Pompeii" film, Roger even stated that they tended to play things live as a way to smooth them out for later release. However, this was not the case with many of their pieces, and I loved the 25 different versions of Echoes, and 20 different versions of Atom Heart Mother, and never fell for the "rock hit fan" mentality that you had to have the "hit" and play it exactly like it! I like the differences and the options and interpretations! Makes them human and more like you and I!

These were what they were playing along side the DSOTM tour for the first year. It was (we thought) that this would be the next album, but it wasn't because the music company wanted something closer to DSOTM. And you can tell their anger on it, in the album cover and then in 2 cuts that were quite strong in the lyrics. But rock fans do not listen to lyrics, anyway and the rest is meaningless to them, which is the harsh part of a public board.

I know I was not happy and was disapponted with their next album that was so much like the first one, it was sick! It was nice and blah and blah ... but nothing compared to the other cuts.

Nothing against what became of them later, in the "animals" album, and the stage shows and playing of them was magnificent, so all is forgiven. But the earlier versions were excellent, and Raving and Drooling was the ultimate space rock piece at the time!

Edited by moshkito - February 02 2014 at 10:34
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 10:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

These are NOT alternative.

These were what they were playing along side the DSOTM tour for the first year. It was (we thought) that this would be the next album, but it wasn't because the music company wanted something closer to DSOTM. And you can tell their anger on it, in the album cover and then in 2 cuts that were quite strong in the lyrics. But rock fans do not listen to lyrics, anyway and the rest is meaningless to them, which is the harsh part of a public board.

I know I was not happy and was disapponted with their next album that was so much like the first one, it was sick! It was nice and blah and blah ... but nothing compared to the other cuts.

Nothing against what became of them later, in the "animals" album, and the stage shows and playing of them was magnificent, so all is forgiven. But the earlier versions were excellent, and Raving and Drooling was the ultimate space rock piece at the time!

The word "alternative" didn't originate with me; it's how these tracks were described when they were posted.

Also, you're wrong about these tracks, they weren't recorded prior to WYWH. They were recorded in 1976, after WYWH ('75), and during the making of what would become "Animals." At least, according to whomever posted these. I'm inclined to agree, because they sound closer to the Animals album, and less like the earlier incarnation of the tracks the band were playing in '74. I hope the band *did* record earlier versions in the studio; I'd love to hear those, as I love the ROIO versions that are out there of Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy.

Also, I've never heard anyone in the band ever say that the album WYWH was put out because of pressure from their record company. It's clear the band has always been proud of this work. Secondly, it sounds nothing like Dark Side of the Moon. It almost sounds like 2 different bands made those albums. Third, it's many people's favorite album by Floyd, and clearly had more influence on prog than DSOTM or Animals did. (For example, Eloy made a career out of re-producing WYWH.)

Edited by jude111 - February 02 2014 at 10:46
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 10:42

Truth is not candy for anyone, other than you, it looks like! Tongue  Wink  Cool

It was history, and something they played live for over a year, and it was on at least 15 to 20 bootlegs at the time, and a very big DISAPPOINTMENT, when it was not their next album, and instead they had a kiss-ash thing for the record company, complete with album cover FU and 2 songs with lyrics that said the same thing!

In the end, the stuff that came out was way more candy for anoraks, than the original, and your comment is not timely and neither is it intelligent.

My take is that Roger got tired of hearing from me (been talking about it for almost 40 years!), that these were out there, and could be heard and found, and he wanted to take the shine off the bootlegs! I'm ok with that, but at least 3 of the bootlegs, the versions are vastly superior than what Roger brought out, that sounds like it had edits, and was not complete, or true!

Edited by moshkito - February 02 2014 at 10:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 10:51

Also, I've never heard anyone in the band ever say that the album WYWH was put out because of pressure from their record company. It's clear the band has always been proud of this work.

Of course not, if you only read the drivel and the rest that says nothing. It was out there in the bootlegs, and you really should go study the history of them. I first heard this in 1974, not  1976! In fact, they were already playing a version of DSOTM in September 1972 at the Hollywood Bowl that had what became "The Greatest Gig In the Sky" as Syd Barrett as a priest sermonizing all over everything with his famous lines that ended up on bootlegs and hidden from the public, because they sounded angry and out of line and time!

This can also be heard on many bootlegs that you don't believe in! Maybe Tinker Bell will be nice to you and get you one for Christmas!

It almost sounds like 2 different bands made those albums. Third, it's many people's favorite album by Floyd, and clearly had more influence on prog than DSOTM did. 

I don't think that WYWH was not bad, or not enjoyable. But it was very obvious, unless you do not read the lyrics, that the 2 songs that were against the machine and then the cigar were a very cynical and upset tone towards the record company, and then the cover has you shaking hands with the devil (the guy on fire -- used to be the old designation for the devil by the way!). How many more signs do you need? They were not happy, but time, probably was on their side and that album sold well, and they let it go. BUT, IT DOES NOT NEGATE WHAT I SAW IN CONCERT WAY BEFORE THAT ALBUM EVER CAME OUT! WHICH YOU ARE SAYING DID NOT HAPPEN!

But it does NOT relegate what was there and already being played elsewhere, as falsities. Those 3 cuts were around for a lot longer than we know or would possibly get a handle on.

Edited by moshkito - February 02 2014 at 11:04
www.pedrosena.com
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 11:31
I know the band was playing Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy in 1974. That's not in dispute. What I'm saying is that the 3 tracks that are posted above were recorded in 1976, according to whomever posted them in the first place.

I'm also not disputing that one of the themes of WYWH was Waters' critique of the music industry and the w**kers he had to deal with at their label. But I don't buy your narrative that they wanted to make "Animals" instead, but the record label wouldn't let them - so instead, they made an album about how they hated their record label, and their record label preferred that album - the very one that attacked them. And then a few years later, the record label changed their mind and agreed to Animals being made and released. - I never read any account that this was the way things went down.

Obviously, the band had the liberty to make the album they wanted to - and when they made an album critiquing their own record label, their record label did not stop that from happening. If Waters had wanted the album to include Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy, then I have to believe that's the album they would have put out. Instead, they put those tracks they considered to be unfinished on the back-burner, and came back to them later.

Edited by jude111 - February 02 2014 at 11:35
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 14:38
When they started working on WYWH both Raving and Drooling and You Gotta be Crazy were meant to be on the album, but Roger had a better idea, to stretch out Shine On and save the other two for the future.

And now we're in for another goodie, the hoarder is releasing a vinyl with the Animals outtakes AND a proto version of Shine On...that not many people have heard.

www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/pink-floyd/pink-floyd-from-abbey-road-to-britannia-row-new-to-cd/ (can't make the link work, sorry)

Don't buy it though, it will be up for download at Yeeshkul!, and it will probably also show up on Youtube. Thumbs Up
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 04:20

Truth is not candy for anyone, other than you, it looks like! Tongue  Wink  Cool

It was history, and something they played live for over a year, and it was on at least 15 to 20 bootlegs at the time, and a very big DISAPPOINTMENT, when it was not their next album, and instead they had a kiss-ash thing for the record company, complete with album cover FU and 2 songs with lyrics that said the same thing!

In the end, the stuff that came out was way more candy for anoraks, than the original, and your comment is not timely and neither is it intelligent.

My take is that Roger got tired of hearing from me (been talking about it for almost 40 years!), that these were out there, and could be heard and found, and he wanted to take the shine off the bootlegs! I'm ok with that, but at least 3 of the bootlegs, the versions are vastly superior than what Roger brought out, that sounds like it had edits, and was not complete, or true!

Come on Moshkito, these are mostly studio takes, raw and experimental. Even the live stuff. To say Animals was a last minute rehash is ludicrous. Even listening to Water's singing, he is going through the motions. Candy for anoraks is insulting, even though I am thick skinned. Sometimes you are really frustrating with your views ( just views ) Confused BTW just look at how Animals ranks with ratings, we are not all anoraks and we are not all wrong. But keep wearing your Cool
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 04:27

I know the band was playing Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy in 1974. That's not in dispute. What I'm saying is that the 3 tracks that are posted above were recorded in 1976, according to whomever posted them in the first place.

I'm also not disputing that one of the themes of WYWH was Waters' critique of the music industry and the w**kers he had to deal with at their label. But I don't buy your narrative that they wanted to make "Animals" instead, but the record label wouldn't let them - so instead, they made an album about how they hated their record label, and their record label preferred that album - the very one that attacked them. And then a few years later, the record label changed their mind and agreed to Animals being made and released. - I never read any account that this was the way things went down.

Obviously, the band had the liberty to make the album they wanted to - and when they made an album critiquing their own record label, their record label did not stop that from happening. If Waters had wanted the album to include Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy, then I have to believe that's the album they would have put out. Instead, they put those tracks they considered to be unfinished on the back-burner, and came back to them later.

All good points, I agree for the most part. And anyways so what if PF were playing DSOTM outtakes in 1972, it was released in 73 and Pompeii showed it was a work in progress. Many bands had works shelved which became released at a later date and in other forms. Not sure what the big w**k is about that. These takes are for completionists only as far as i am concerned, give me the studio albums any day. Nice to see them on YT, or bellowing out over some mad bugger's wallSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 08:50
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

All good points, I agree for the most part. And anyways so what if PF were playing DSOTM outtakes in 1972, it was released in 73 and Pompeii showed it was a work in progress. Many bands had works shelved which became released at a later date and in other forms. Not sure what the big w**k is about that. These takes are for completionists only as far as i am concerned, give me the studio albums any day. Nice to see them on YT, or bellowing out over some mad bugger's wallSmile

Roger had made it plainly clear that they played a lot of material in concert that was in the process of being cleaned up and such. DSOTM and the material that became Animals, fits the bill.

PF, stopped experimenting and working these new things right in the middle of DSOTM, when their shows became automated and mechanical, due to the film and the lights and everything else. Thus, any free forming, of any material was already on its way out.

The outtakes in most bootlegs are all of these details you mention, but the concert versions fit in another area, because you have a DATE, for it, when it was played. Thus, you can see that "Animals" has a lifetime of 4 to 5 already, by the time it was released officially, and the fact that "Sheep" is so different, shows it. But it does not NEGATE its existence, and what it might have said about the band.

The WYWH material with the exception of "machine" and "have a cigar" was all new, but side 2 was an almost complete copy of DSOTM, and it's very visible. The record company as we know it, liking famous songs and albums, would have wanted something closer to DSOTM, and WYWH fit the bill, better than the new material that they were already playing and I saw them do it in Los Angeles. My guess, still is, that they did not argue the matter, and since they had more stuff in the vaults, like stuff they did not use for DSOTM, that they were able to come up with the next thing. 

I'm quite alright with the choice, but I can tell you that I was not the only one disappointed with the "new PF album", and it did not contain the 3 songs! It had all kinds of anything else, but! I even have the recording from KTYD in Santa Barbara, with the DJ talking about it, 3 days before it "arrived", and it was totally different! Even Jim Ladd in LA was surprised!

Edited by moshkito - February 04 2014 at 08:52
www.pedrosena.com
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 09:16
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Many bands had works shelved which became released at a later date and in other forms. Not sure what the big w**k is about that. These takes are for completionists only as far as i am concerned, give me the studio albums any day. Nice to see them on YT, or bellowing out over some mad bugger's wallSmile

I agree about these takes, except that i really like Waters' singing on "Raving and Drooling." The thing is though, the early versions that Floyd were playing of Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy - the ones that appear on bootlegs - are so awesome, and different in many ways to what they were on the Animals album, that's what fans get excited by. Hopefully more of those will come out someday soon...
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 09:20

I'm quite alright with the choice, but I can tell you that I was not the only one disappointed with the "new PF album", and it did not contain the 3 songs! It had all kinds of anything else, but! I even have the recording from KTYD in Santa Barbara, with the DJ talking about it, 3 days before it "arrived", and it was totally different! Even Jim Ladd in LA was surprised!

That's really interesting, I can see how that's true though - Floyd fans were going to their concerts, getting buzzed by these new awesome songs, and when the album comes out, it's totally something different.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there's a missing Floyd album that the band almost released, but at the last moment didn't? And that Floyd album came out now - one with Raving and Drooling and You Gotta Be Crazy, recorded in 1974 rather than 1977...

Edited by jude111 - February 04 2014 at 10:09
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 17:35

When they started working on WYWH both Raving and Drooling and You Gotta be Crazy were meant to be on the album, but Roger had a better idea, to stretch out Shine On and save the other two for the future. And now we're in for another goodie, the hoarder is releasing a vinyl with the Animals outtakes AND a proto version of Shine On...that not many people have heard.www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/pink-floyd/pink-floyd-from-abbey-road-to-britannia-row-new-to-cd/ (can't make the link work, sorry)Don't buy it though, it will be up for download at Yeeshkul!, and it will probably also show up on Youtube. Thumbs Up

f**k !!!!!!!!!!    - this'll be PRICELESS........
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 04:41
Studio demos from PF don't leak out easily. Perhaps this is a sign of an Animals Immersion and/ or Experience edition ... on the wing.

Looking forward to a lossless ROIO anyway.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 06:19
Oh well, got 'em. I'll check them out tomorrow.

Vol. 1 of 3...
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 09:43
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Oh well, got 'em. I'll check them out tomorrow.

Vol. 1 of 3...

Wow, that was quick. I'm searching for them but can't find them. my preferred method is slsk... It'll show up eventually...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>