Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Album Genesis Discarded for ABACAB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 20:58
I don't know if what Genesis was trying to do before they went on the direction of ABACAB was a parody of themsleves... but I just can't imagine it being any worse than ABACAB ended up being. Except for the Dodo thing, there's just nothing I enjoy on that album. Even "Invisible Touch", another rather disliked album around here, had some moments I really enjoy. I guess I should be checking out those Archives box-sets, I'm rather interested in the extended version of Dodo.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 01:06
^ ABACAB is worth revisiting. Try it in vinyl and boogie with Earth , Wind & Fire on No Reply At All
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 03:48
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I always thought Yes-  Going For The One (the whole album) was exactly this. Its when bands turn in on themselves instead of growing through external influence. That's how I see it. (btw I do like GFTO)

Aye - But this is amongst their finest releases - perhaps third behing Close and Tales...and is certainly up amongst the best 20 symphonic prog albums in history! Awaken is surely in the top 10 symphonic prog sub-epics of all time also !!! (sub-epic = track less than 18 minutes long but greater than 12 minutes)

Nothing wrong with perfecting your style,sound and approach. I don't like the compression (to my ears) on the production side but Awaken represents what Yes were totally about  (or certainly that was what Anderson believed)

I have to admit that when I heard GFTO (It was my introduction to Yes) I wasn't impressed (I suppose that it would be bout 1979) - but by 1981/82 yes were my favourite band.....it took me several years to "get" the music...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 03:58
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I don't know if what Genesis was trying to do before they went on the direction of ABACAB was a parody of themsleves... but I just can't imagine it being any worse than ABACAB ended up being. Except for the Dodo thing, there's just nothing I enjoy on that album. Even "Invisible Touch", another rather disliked album around here, had some moments I really enjoy. I guess I should be checking out those Archives box-sets, I'm rather interested in the extended version of Dodo.

I quite agree with this. Abacab is imo a two star album, the only one beside their prematurely launched debut, with Dodo/Lurker as the only great song. I have heard these other songs and I think this would result in an album on par with Abacab but without any great songs. Paperlate is catchy, Me & Virgil is a nice one, You Might Recall the best of the bunch and the rest is crap.

Edited by someone_else - February 03 2014 at 03:58
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 16:57
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ ABACAB is worth revisiting. Try it in vinyl and boogie with Earth , Wind & Fire on No Reply At All

I guess someday I'll get around to listening to it again, but I really doubt I'll change my mind.
Billy 7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 16:04
Abacrap!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 18:25
Once upon a time, I had developed a severe dislike for ABACAB - when I first got it during the late-80's I liked it, it was O.K. - then I hated it for years. I came back to it and kind of found some of it good, mostly average though. I gave it a 2 star review a few years back, listened to it several times since, and may have to re-assess the 2 star and up it to a 3. It's not that bad an album.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 07:15
I liked Abacrabs when it first came out though I didn't get a CD copy until 2002.  I still don't have Genesis or Invisible Touch on CD and have no plans to add those.  I've never had a copy of We Can't Dance on vinyl or CD.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12