Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in Sync

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog in Sync
    Posted: January 30 2014 at 06:40

I would like to share with the prog archives community an interesting thought. 

My band's debut album has just been released and throughout it's process a lot of people that I would call my creative advisors have suggested that I look into synchronisation. These advisors are a mixture of prog enthusiasts or friends and lecturers who I know have a very broad view on the world of music. The general consensus has been that the music I write has a filmic nature to it and is very visual. (which is one reason I love listening to and writing progressive music as much as I do). 

However, I am left wondering about where Progressive music has been used for media and sync. 
So far as I know Rush's Tom Sawyer was used in a Brazilian TV programme and Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused to Sing featured in a recent Cinema advert. 

Does anyone else know of perhaps less obvious examples? Is progressive music an appropriate choice for sync? Should it feature more? 

I look forward to hearing your opinions on this. 

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 08:33
I did a search and this link will provide you with some threads that might be of interest to you.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20140130083206&KW=prog+movies

There are a few threads that discuss prog and movies and tv shows, and progressive scores.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 08:41
Almost all the output from Vangelis has been used somewhere when not explicitly written for soundtracks. In the early 70s I remember a TV spot about a sparkling water using a part of Atom Heart Mother (the violin piece). 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 10:00
Look at the work from Anthony Phillips, who has written a lot of music for TV.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 13:09
A lot of the music of Goblin and Popul Vuh have been used in movie soundtracks, particularly films by Dario Argento and Werner Herzog (I believe). Tangerine Dream is also featured in a number of movie soundtracks. I must admit I do not know what 'sync' means in this context.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 14:55
If I have correctly understood, it's music evocative used in soundtracks or other without having been written explicitely for that scope. Anyway, it would be good if Ryan gives us some samples from his album so we can have a better idea of what he means. 
If I think to music with a "filmic nature" I have in mind Senmuth's Eternal Images and the Unit Weil debut, or the very horrorific Shub-Niggurath
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
RyanElliott View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2014 at 20:33
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

If I have correctly understood, it's music evocative used in soundtracks or other without having been written explicitely for that scope. Anyway, it would be good if Ryan gives us some samples from his album so we can have a better idea of what he means. 
If I think to music with a "filmic nature" I have in mind Senmuth's Eternal Images and the Unit Weil debut, or the very horrorific Shub-Niggurath

Your definition is correct I would say. Music for Media. 'Synchronisation' is the word I have come to see people often use to describe this. I know a lecturer in this area and it's interesting how he has chosen specific music for different purposes, (he was in charge of the music for FIFA 2001). He was very intrigued when I suggested Anathema as a potential band who's music could be used suitably in some TV/films with a dark or brooding tone. 

Thank you all for the examples pointed out, Vangelis is of course a great example. We actually used a lot of the Jupiter Synth in our music. 

There is a soundcloud widget for the entire album on this website http://edenshadow.net songs such as 'Hallucinogen' and 'Stars Unfold' (As an instrumental master) have been pointed out to me. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 00:35
Thanks, Octopus and Ryan. That clarifies it. I remember watching the Olympics some many years ago and as the network rolled the credits they played Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream about four times in a row. I guess that would be Sync since the piece was not written for use as a soundtrack yet it fit the mood very well.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2014 at 09:55
Yes, Satriani's work is very suitable for being selected for various media. It is already instrumental which helps. I am sure 'Summer Song' has crept up in many places too.

It's an area where a lot of eclectic music is brought to my attention. Mogwai was brought to my attention because of a supernatural French TV series called 'The Returned' and The Staves also came along in a TV drama and blew me away.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 00:16
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Thanks, Octopus and Ryan. That clarifies it. I remember watching the Olympics some many years ago and as the network rolled the credits they played Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream about four times in a row. I guess that would be Sync since the piece was not written for use as a soundtrack yet it fit the mood very well.

1992 Olympics I believe? Can't remember. Pretty cool though.
Threshold still have all the goods that makes them one of the best classic rock/Prog metal bands in the world. 2014's For The Journey is worth a serious listen.
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJoker7169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 22:01
At first, I thought you were talking about unintentional synchronicities, as with The Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz or "Echoes" and the "Jupiter and Beyond The Infinite" section of 2001: A Space Odyssey. But if I understand your true thrust, it's tailoring visuals to fit extant music, rather than the other way around?
Rock On,
- D.J. "Slick" Jicky Rones

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 10:09

Offhand: The film "Children of Men" (a great movie!) used "In the Court of the Crimson King" to memorable effect.
Chimaera View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chimaera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 08:29
Saxondale (Steve Coogan) used House of the King by Focus and lots of other stuff by Tull, Wishbone Ash, Rush (the Necromancer) and the Who.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 17:28
Apparently, Ozric Tentacles' 'Sploosh' was used in a BMW ad.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2014 at 13:18
A short film I watched, called 'Kid Powers' had all kinds of RUSH played on it.

The Exorcist had Tubular Bells. That worked well...I believe.   
Threshold still have all the goods that makes them one of the best classic rock/Prog metal bands in the world. 2014's For The Journey is worth a serious listen.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 11:30
You start thinking about it more and you realise how many places it has been used, my friend recently told me that Tangerine Dream wrote music for the recent Grand Theft Auto game.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prog4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 16:34
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Back in the late 70s (was it at Innsbruck?), the Winter Olympics used ELP's "Fanfare for the Common Man" to great effect...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic