Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCollaborator's Top Albums of 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 10:31
Originally posted by ergaster ergaster wrote:

Just a head's up:  the Riverside album is called Shrine of New Generation Slaves, not Songs of New Generation Slaves..... 

(aka SoNGS) ...  Wink

dagnabbit...

thanks for the catch, that acronym always throws me off for some reason.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 11:34
Excellent work as usual Andy Thumbs Up

4 of my picks in top 10 Approve

#1 and #2 right on target ApproveApprove but they seemed rather predictable being one step ahead of the competition IMO. 

8 of my picks in top 30.

Edited by earlyprog - February 02 2014 at 11:41
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 12:16
Sigur at #9. I'm happy -It was my Number 1. Glad i could help Cool
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2014 at 17:02
What strikes me is how diverse our tastes are here. In the top ten I see albums I don't rate much, albums I never heard of, albums I loved and albums which I thought were good but not as good as the ones I actually voted for.

I mean that as no complaint, by the way: I think it's great that the site has such diverse tastes that acts as different as Haken, Spock's Beard, Guapo, Birds and Buildings and Sigur Ros can all get into the top 10.
Elvin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 15:14
Hello, good folks of PA -

I normally avoid posting in such places as it can be awkward/stifling etc but on this occasion I just have to.

It's immensely gratifying to see not one but two of my musical efforts gracing your top 10. Just occasionally, toiling in obscurity for years has a payoff. To see Guapo's 'History' and CH's 'Chrome Black Gold' up there melts my dark, cynical heart.

CBG took well over 2 years to assemble. The Guapo record involved 18 months of rehearsing until it finally mutated into the final artifact. That's a lot of work.

Days like this make me think that perhaps it is all worth it.

I'll bugger off now (and promise not to lurk).

Massive, heartfelt thanks to you lot for the support - and Steve & co at Cuneiform for making sure it all happened,

Emmett
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 15:23
 Heart
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 15:32
Good job Collabs Smile Pretty satisfying to see some variety up there.  Never would have thought Hubardo, Birds and Buildings, Guapo, and Sigur Ros scoring so high.  I didn't expect Mirthkon to get up to #15 either.  Awesome!
Chrome Hoof is getting bumped to the top of my must buy list.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 16:08
Nice to see you here Elvin, both albums are worthy of the plaudits, congratulations. It was great to meet you at RIO terrific performance.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 16:24
Originally posted by Elvin Elvin wrote:

I normally avoid posting in such places as it can be awkward/stifling etc but on this occasion I just have to.

It's immensely gratifying to see not one but two of my musical efforts gracing your top 10. Just occasionally, toiling in obscurity for years has a payoff. To see Guapo's 'History' and CH's 'Chrome Black Gold' up there melts my dark, cynical heart.

CBG took well over 2 years to assemble. The Guapo record involved 18 months of rehearsing until it finally mutated into the final artifact. That's a lot of work.

Massive, heartfelt thanks to you lot for the support - and Steve & co at Cuneiform for making sure it all happened,

Emmett

Posts like this make us think that perhaps it is all worth it.Clap
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 16:38

Emmett

I voted for both of those albums - they were both absolutely phenomenal albums. It's the kind of music that really makes you realize that boundaries are still being pushed in the progressive genre. 

I hope you stick around the forum - input from guys like you really make this community special. Smile
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 19:59

I thought it was going to come down to Steven Wilson and Haken, and I hoped Wilson would take it, and I'm amazed I was right, at least about the top 2.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 01:43
Top two looked set in stone although I don't rate the Haken album as much as others. Seems to be copying other artists just a little too much for me. Still its a good listen. Also I don't think BBT's uninspired follow up album should have been anywhere near the top ten but that's just my opinion. its not bad but would it have attracted as many votes as a 'stand alone' release? 
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 01:56
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Top two looked set in stone although I don't rate the Haken album as much as others. Seems to be copying other artists just a little too much for me. Still its a good listen. Also I don't think BBT's uninspired follow up album should have been anywhere near the top ten but that's just my opinion. its not bad but would it have attracted as many votes as a 'stand alone' release? 

It's a pretty interesting and diverse collection of albums, eh Richard?

I have to say, I do like that Big Big Train one, I think it's very melodic and mellow, but I did notice overall there was (seemed to be?) a bit of a...lack of enthusiasm for it. So I was totally shocked to see that one in there, to be honest.

The Haken one was good, but I'm actualy finding my interest in it kind of waning very quickly. Very undecided on that one so far, despite my initial excitement.

The Chrome Hoof one is interesting! I'm not sure if I've totally fallen for it, but there is no denying the talent of the band, and DAMN they show so much confidence in their sound. Just the sort of band that could bring over a lot of indie kids to give them a foot in the door of progressive music!

The Sigur Ros one....borrowed it off a friend, and while some of it was their most interesting one I've heard to date, it's still all the same to me. Many of the songs seem to follow a similar pattern, and I get quick bored with the wispy vocals before the end of each track. Lots of cool things going on with the instrumentation, especially the percussions/drums, and I liked when it got a big darker. They do manage to work in some pretty accessible melodies a lot of the time. I can also see a lot of Radiohead fans digging them.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - February 04 2014 at 01:57
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 10:19
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

Emmett

I voted for both of those albums - they were both absolutely phenomenal albums. It's the kind of music that really makes you realize that boundaries are still being pushed in the progressive genre. 

I hope you stick around the forum - input from guys like you really make this community special. Smile

I second that! 
Wow..... I just read that post and it made me so happy. I am proud to be part of a site that attracts this kind of feedback from musicians and the folks in the trenches that together make the music possible. 
Made my day, thanks.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 15:20
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It's a pretty interesting and diverse collection of albums, eh Richard?

I have to say, I do like that Big Big Train one, I think it's very melodic and mellow, but I did notice overall there was (seemed to be?) a bit of a...lack of enthusiasm for it. So I was totally shocked to see that one in there, to be honest.

The Haken one was good, but I'm actualy finding my interest in it kind of waning very quickly. Very undecided on that one so far, despite my initial excitement.

The Chrome Hoof one is interesting! I'm not sure if I've totally fallen for it, but there is no denying the talent of the band, and DAMN they show so much confidence in their sound. Just the sort of band that could bring over a lot of indie kids to give them a foot in the door of progressive music!

The Sigur Ros one....borrowed it off a friend, and while some of it was their most interesting one I've heard to date, it's still all the same to me. Many of the songs seem to follow a similar pattern, and I get quick bored with the wispy vocals before the end of each track. Lots of cool things going on with the instrumentation, especially the percussions/drums, and I liked when it got a big darker. They do manage to work in some pretty accessible melodies a lot of the time. I can also see a lot of Radiohead fans digging them.

Yes I think so although I've probably only heard about 10% of the albums in whole listLOL

on the last comment I may have to give that a go as I do like Radiohead, especially In Rainbows
AlexPilkevych View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 07:42
There's an Armenian band called Dogma. Even though they are not as popular as the guys from this list, heir 2013 album is so awesome, it deserves to bementioned here.
Karnivool's Assymmetry is also really awesome!
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 22:50
I am so thrilled to see Hubardo get #3!! That is my favorite, and The Raven was my second.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 01:55
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

(...) 

Though the one thing I definitely regret is not voting Vultress - Distance as my album of the year.  It didn't even get a single vote.  Cry

(...)
I couldn't agree more. Although Distance is not my fav album of the year, it's a great album that definitely deserves some votes.

Edited by Svetonio - February 11 2014 at 02:19
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 03:51
I am impressed with the results- BBTApprove

Great work Andy putting all together
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 20:03
Stunning results! Brilliant work Andy and The Admins (sounds like a cool 70s glam band)

I picked 1, 2 and 4, 5 respectively. No wI am off to listen to Chrome Hoof. Damn! I had no idea they were THAT good!  Cheers guys! Nice to hear from an artist too who appreciates the value of such a list.

PS thanks for including a snippet of my Raven review raves.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>