Topic ClosedTransatlantic Seattle Feb 2 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transatlantic Seattle Feb 2 2014
    Posted: February 03 2014 at 20:19
What a night for Seattle! First off winning the Super Bowl by nothing short of a butt-kicking of the Denver Broncos, congrats Seahawks!!

And what better way to finish off the night than with a 3 hour prog/symphonic blitzkrieg by Transatlantic. Let me start by saying this show started 3 hours late from the original planned 6pm show. When my wife and I arrived at the venue in Everett, WA (north of Seattle about 30 minutes) we were informed the show was already pushed to I think 7pm to accomodate for the Super Bowl. We then went to our hotel room, as we live about an hour and half from Everett, so were not planning on going home.
We came back to the venue at about 6pm then were told the show was pushed to 8pm, I know for a fact the band arrived to the venue at about 3:30pm, I saw them arrive.
Sound check took longer and the Meet & Greet started late......not many complained since most were watching the game on cell phones, I did see a few people get ticket refunds as they could not stay any longer citing having to go to work early the next day..
Anyhow the actual start time ended up being about 9:15pm, the band did not take an intermission, they did the whole set due to the time, the show ended at about 12:20am Monday morning!

The venue was small, probably seated 220 total and it was about 95% full I would say.....Had the concert NOT been on Super Bowl Sunday with Seattle playing it would have been sold out very early is my guess.

My wife and I were front row to the right, straight line shot of Pete and Mike, there was about 10' of open space between us and the stage. The band started playing off very tight and sounded really good for such a small venue, then about an hour into the show you can sense they were getting a liitle off kilter, I knew it was Pete...he was struggling to stay in time, he hid it very well though, just before the start of last song he admitted he had lost monitors awhile ago. I also think the sound guy cranked up the volume as the show went on as it seemd to get really loud at times.
Neal's vocals were really nice but then they started to get very distorted but as usual Neal was excellent on the keys and he gets so into the music, very expressive. Roine's guitar and vocals were too low in the mix but when he soloed it did sound real nice and fantastic playing! Pete was perfect and so was Ted Leonard, you could hear them well. Mike was stellar last night....I have to say after seeing Mike play with Neal on the last two NM tours and Transatlantic, Mike Portnoy is a much better drummer with this type of music as compared to the last couple DT albums, don't get me wrong I like that stuff too, but this is much better.

The Whirlwind suite was fantastic as well was the encore suite....brilliant stuff! The crowd I actually think was a bit tired come about 11pm, considering most probably were up early watching pre Super Bowl events or attending parties and already drinking and eating, most would stand for a bit then sit.....It was when they showed a Seahawks logo on the screen the crowd got back into it after Mike pushed a bit, he likes it when the crowd gets into it, but I think most were tired already.

Excellent show, great setlist, my first time seeing Pete Trewavas and Roine Stolt live, so I was pretty pumped and they did not let me down. My wife as usual took a bunch of pics and I will share a few below, she got some great shots of Roine.

Enjoy!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 00:57
Congrats to the Missus, Jose. Great set of picsClap

Glad it was a great night.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 20:40
Great, I can't wait to see them too next week. Too bad I haven't been able to get the album, and have only heard a few songs on You Tube. So far, Black as Sky and the title track seem nice enough, I guess I'll try to listen to them a few more times, but Into the Blue is incomplete, only the first 3 min... and for what I hear from those 3 min I believe that would be my absolute fav on the album, and I may not be able to listen to it before the concert... which would be a shame. Also, I'm rather disapointed, for what I've read, that there will be so little "Whirlwind" played, I like that better than anything else they have done.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 21:47
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Great, I can't wait to see them too next week. Too bad I haven't been able to get the album, and have only heard a few songs on You Tube. So far, Black as Sky and the title track seem nice enough, I guess I'll try to listen to them a few more times, but Into the Blue is incomplete, only the first 3 min... and for what I hear from those 3 min I believe that would be my absolute fav on the album, and I may not be able to listen to it before the concert... which would be a shame. Also, I'm rather disapointed, for what I've read, that there will be so little "Whirlwind" played, I like that better than anything else they have done.

Black As the Sky is amazing live! As well as the songs off the new album, play well.........The Whirlwind suite they play is very good as well as the encore suite is excellent.

It does not disappoint.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 22:26
Cool pics!

Maybe next time they won't play on Superbowl Sunday.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2014 at 22:48
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Cool pics!

Maybe next time they won't play on Superbowl Sunday.

They can.....Seahawks just can't be in the game LOL
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 15:12
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Black As the Sky is amazing live! As well as the songs off the new album, play well.........The Whirlwind suite they play is very good as well as the encore suite is excellent.

It does not disappoint.

Yeah, I know. Most of the songs they have on the setl list are great prog songs, which I will surely enjoy. But in general, The Whirlwind was something else, it is great beyond anything else on their other albums, including what I've heard from the last one, and I would love to hear more from it.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 18:41

It does not disappoint.

Yeah, I know. Most of the songs they have on the setl list are great prog songs, which I will surely enjoy. But in general, The Whirlwind was something else, it is great beyond anything else on their other albums, including what I've heard from the last one, and I would love to hear more from it.

I hear you.....The Whirlwind is pretty special. Kaleidoscope and Into the Blue are close, but they are not epics like The Whirlwind, mini-epics yes. What I like about Kaleidoscope is how easy of a listen it is, it really flows well and the bonus LP is some of their best covers IMO, And You And I is excellent!

Regards
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 20:47

It does not disappoint.

I hear you.....The Whirlwind is pretty special. Kaleidoscope and Into the Blue are close, but they are not epics like The Whirlwind, mini-epics yes. What I like about Kaleidoscope is how easy of a listen it is, it really flows well and the bonus LP is some of their best covers IMO, And You And I is excellent!

Regards

Yeah, I really want to get that album already. Also for the covers. And how does the "Nights in White Satin" sound with them? Between "And you and I", and this other song, they have some amazing vocals to cover... and unfortunatley Transatlantic just doesn't have such strong singers.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2014 at 22:58

It does not disappoint.

Regards

Yeah, I really want to get that album already. Also for the covers. And how does the "Nights in White Satin" sound with them? Between "And you and I", and this other song, they have some amazing vocals to cover... and unfortunatley Transatlantic just doesn't have such strong singers.

Actually NIWS sounds very good, I think they did it justice......
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 12:28
Once again with a small complaint about the set-list. The ecnore songs, "All of the Above" and "Stranger in my soul" have never been among my favourite songs from them... a bit overlong for my taste, really. However, I do enjoy a lot parts of the second half of "All of the Above", as well as the first 10 min of "Stranger in my Soul"... and playing only half of one and half of the other might have been just perfect for me... in only they had chosen the right halves... as it is, they'll just be playing the parts I don't like so much. Also, I have been checking the set-list on the Whirl tour DVD, and they could almost have played the songs they are playing now, but with the whole Whirlwind, and they would have taken almost the same time as with the other tour... perhaps they might have needed to drop a pair of songs and it would have been possilbe, something like dropping "Shine" and the encore, perhaps. Or at the very least, if they had also included with "The Whirlwind" the whole overture plus the next two songs, then I might have considered it enough.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 23:26
^ I hear ya...I like the way it turned out though, had it not been 12:30am I might have a different opinion on the ending LOL.......I do have to say Shine was received very well and sounded excellent.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 09:48
Thumbs up for the Hobbit on the bass! Go Bilbo:)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 12:19
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

Dude, that is just wrong.......LOL
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 15:49

So true though. Bilbo rocks and so does Pete. He slaps that bass hard!!! He's so funny in the making of Kaleidoscope dvd. He was the first TA member I met on their Whirld Tour. Such a funny, energetic man!!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2014 at 16:16

So true though. Bilbo rocks and so does Pete. He slaps that bass hard!!! He's so funny in the making of Kaleidoscope dvd. He was the first TA member I met on their Whirld Tour. Such a funny, energetic man!!!!

There is a long story to this, which I will not tell, but I carried Pete's luggage to the green room when their bus arrived at the venue last week.....Talked to him for about 15 min, super nice guy for sure!
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 00:32
Great pics from the missus, Jose. It looks almost exactly like the show I saw, except for Morse's clothing and the Seahawks logo, that is. I congratulate them even though they beat out the 49ers.

Read my review - I agree with Alex about Trewavas.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 20:41
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Great pics from the missus, Jose. It looks almost exactly like the show I saw, except for Morse's clothing and the Seahawks logo, that is. I congratulate them even though they beat out the 49ers.

Read my review - I agree with Alex about Trewavas.

Poor Pete......no love!

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply