Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAutumn Electric (U.S.) for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autumn Electric (U.S.) for Prog Folk
    Posted: February 05 2014 at 22:05

released 10 January 2014 
Chris Barrios - drums, percussion, vocals 
Naomi Adele Smith - synthesizers, melodica, vocals 
Max Steiner - lead guitar, vocals 
Michael Trew - electric and acoustic guitar, lead vocal, flute, banjo, synth flutes, spoken word 
Johnny Unicorn - bass, alto saxophone, vocals 

with guest Joe Stormer: Accordion on "Joe The Lion, Sleeps Tonight", 
backing vocals on "The Hermit of North Pond" 

Songs written by Michael Trew with exception of "The Hermit of North 
Pond" written by Chris Barrios and Michael Trew 

Music by Autumn Electric 
Engineered, Mixed and Mastered by Chris Barrios 
Produced by Autumn Electric 
Cover Art by Louise Trew 
Inside Art by Naomi Smith 

"Autumn Electric was born on Interstate 5, in the back of a now-retired Ford Econoline, dubbed "Vandalf the Grey". Fueled by Tolkien references and gas station coffee, they built a core following on the house concert and college town circuits, producing their first two albums as well as the tour-mockumentary "Tourdeo". Some may recall meeting their travelling guinea pig at show after-parties.

In 2012, their 3rd album, Make Me a Tree's title track was culled for Seattle Metro Credit Union's "HomeGrown Summer Road Trip" compilation alongside Hey Marseilles, Ravenna Woods and the Moondoggies. Two tours followed. The first, in support of Faroe Islands (EU) artist Marius Ziska's US tour, and later, The Healing Tour in 2013. Based largely around charity concerts for Healing Centers, and Hospices, the Healing Tour fit with Make Me a Tree's theme of empathy and renewal. During this time, the band spearheaded the online music charity project RobinHood in Technicolor, with a host of independent bands.

The new incarnation of the group came in 2013 with addition of Austrian guitarist Max Steiner, drummer Chris Barrios, and long-time AE collaborator and producer Johnny Unicorn on Bass. A live recording was captured from Vera Project stage at Northwest Folklife Festival of a new 21 minute, song cycle, "Orange Stars", by Seattle's Hollow Earth Radio, while a performance of "The Hermit of North Pond" was featured on KING5 News. Plans for a follow up to Make Me a Tree are slotted for Fall 2013. The band's feelings on guinea pigs remains mixed."

Sounds Like: Sufjan Stevens, The Decemberists, Genesis, Yes (official), Flaming Lips   

http://www.reverbnation.com/autumnelectric

https://www.facebook.com/theautumnelectric

Edited by Svetonio - February 05 2014 at 22:09
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 12:51
Yam Yam?
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 14:40
Hang on a sec - sorry, we missed your post over in the dandelion patch.  I'm downloading their albums now and will check them out.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 14:44
I don't think these guys are signed Bob. I'm not sure how you guys feel about that?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 14:53
They're not signed, but four full albums in six years, with CD versions of the last two (plus other merch), an extensive tour currently in progress (see their official website), nearly 2,500 likes on facebook... I reckon they're here for the long run, and are worth hearing out. Embarrassed 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 21:38
they may not be signed, but they are on spotify.  I'm checking them out
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 17:14
Hey I like these guys! 
My first impression was that they were just another Decemberists clone, but after listening to two entire albums and part of a third I think they have their own sound.  Some folk, some tentative but ambitious attempts at wandering, old-time prog passages, and quite a bit of indie charm.  Not sure if Eclectic or Prog Folk is the right call but I'd be happy to take them into our fold.  Will wait to hear what Ken has to say...

Albert Camus
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 02:33
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 02:26
bump
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 02:55
Checking with the team.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 13:41
The Prog Folk team has reviewed Autumn Electric's biography and we've listened to their albums (which are downloadable from the band's website and two of which are also available on Spotify, at least in the U.S.).  While the band is engaging and ambitious, none of us on the PF team found them to qualify as progressive despite 'Make Me a Tree' where there are suggestions they might have been trying for a progressive approach.  In the end we feel the band is a quite good indie/alt group with some notable artistic tendencies, but we don't hear enough to merit their inclusion in PF.  We are certainly open to feedback and are willing to reconsider should additional material or cogent arguments in their favor merit such reconsideration.

Thanks!

Albert Camus
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 17:08
New album 'Star Being Earth Child' released earlier this week. Enjoyed it tremendously myself, and I reckon it's well worth a listen if you enjoyed the previous ones. Not sure if Prog Folk is entirely the right place for them based on this particular album, but I reckon the Crossover team might well find them a home on here. It's available on bandcamp with all the others: http://autumnelectric.bandcamp.com/. Thumbs Up
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 13:39
^ Not sure about previous albums, but based on my listening of their latest album, "Star Being Earth Child" from 2015 - it's definitely Prog. However Prog Folk not the right subgenre to put it into (and bear in mind that I know just the latest album, though which is enough).

Take your pick - Crossover (most probably), Eclectric (far fetched choice, but possibly likely) and maybe even Symphonic.

But Xover would be the hottest candidate.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 22:30
Cleared in Crossover about 5 months ago: http://progfreak.com/Autumn-Electric-164133.html?path=pa/recent Thumbs Up
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 09:26
An assist with the bio would assist greatly.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 09:43
I'll bash something together for you tonight Scott, and post it here - I've got a few hours worth of other chores to take care of right now. Embarrassed Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 15:29
Autumn Electric is a progressive rock band from Seattle, WA, formed by Michael Trew (vocals/flute/guitar), and Naomi Smith (keyboards/vocals) in 2008, with the help of Jessica Eballar (banjo, vocals) and Gene Hardy (bass). 'Very Soon the Light' was released that year as the band's debut studio album. 
In 2009 Dan Desrosiers joined as drummer and Jessica Eballar departed. Gene Hardy was replaced by Kevin Gibbons on bass and the EP 'We Breathe the Same Air' was released. 
In 2010 Barton Macguire joined the band as a multi-instrumentalist, Kevin Gibbons departed and 'If You're Home' was released as the 2nd Studio Album. 
In 2012 Max Steiner joined as bassist, and 'Make Me a Tree' was released as the band's 3rd Studio Album. There was a tour of the West Coast to support the album featuring Johnny Unicorn as guest bassist.
In 2013 Max Steiner moved from bass to lead guitar replacing multi-instrumentalist Barton Macguire, Dan Desrosiers was replaced by Chris Barrios on drums, and Johnny Unicorn officially joined the band as bassist. Another tour of the West Coast followed, called "The Healing Tour". Based largely around charity concerts for Healing Centers, and Hospices, the Healing Tour fitted in well with the 'Make Me a Tree' album's theme of empathy and renewal.
In 2014 Max Steiner moved to Germany, and was replaced by guitarist Dylan Welsh. 'Flowers For Ambrosia' was released as the 4th Studio Album - this being the album that finally established The Autumn Electric as a serious progressive rock act.
2015 resulted in the 5th studio album 'Star Being Earth Child' being released. Inspired by a trip through the petroglyphs of New Mexico on their 2014 tour, this album is really rock opera which explores the mythology of Star Beings, the plight of Earth's environment, and spiritual awakening. Most of the album was recorded in Seattle, while Steiner's guitar arrangements for the album were added remotely from his new home in Germany. Autumn Electric toured extensively throughout the continental US in 2015 to promote the album, making use of specialized lights, projections and costume with the aid of Neil Willson (effects) and touring guitarist Josh Williams. 
Part of the profits from the sales of the band's first three albums on bandcamp are donated to various charities. Singer/flutist/guitarist/frontman Michael Trew also has a successful solo career alongside his Autumn Electric commitments.

Can't upload band pic because the image upload feature of the forum is screwed (and has been for a couple of days now):

"Server Error in Forum Application
An error has occurred while uploading file/image.
Please check the Asp Smart Upload Component is installed on the server.
Please contact the Forum Administrator.

Support Error Code:- err_SQLServer_create_AspSmartUpload_object
File Name:- functions_upload.asp
Forum Version:- 11.01

Error details:-
Microsoft VBScript runtime error
ActiveX component can't create object"

You can find one at:

Finally here's a couple of nice vids of the band playing live:

"Star Being Earth Child" performed live at the Royal Room in Seattle, WA on May 3rd, 2015:

And "Flowers For Ambrosia" (entire album performed live on 90.3fm KDVS):

Big smile

Edit: I forgot to include this link where you might find a little more insight into the development of the band: http://www.prog-sphere.com/interviews/autumn-electric-interview/.  Embarrassed

Edited by yam yam - January 07 2016 at 15:44
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 15:44
Thanks, David.

I'll add them when I get home from work.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 15:58
Thanks Scott. I've reported the 'Insert Image' upload problem that I've had for the last two days in the Report Bugs here area of the forum. Maybe it's just me though...no one else seems to have reported anything. Ermm
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 17:50
Autumn Electric
Thanks, David.
 Post Reply Post Reply