FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTuomas Holopainen (Nightwish): Solo album soon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuomas Holopainen (Nightwish): Solo album soon
    Posted: February 06 2014 at 10:28
Another snippet obtained via UK's 'Prog' magazine (post by Martin Kielty): http://www.progrockmag.com/video/tuomas-holopainen-a-lifetime-of-adventure/.

Nightwish mainman Tuomas Holopainen has released a video for his solo track A Lifetime Of Adventure – view it below.

It’s taken from his concept album 'Music Inspired By The Life And Times Of Scrooge', based on comic book character Scrooge McDuck and featuring artwork by original illustrator Don Rosa.

Holopainen says: “Director Ville Lipiainen and I went through some options and agreed to shoot a sort of ‘making of’ clip. The idea of dressing someone up as Scrooge McDuck and then filming him digging gold and riding an emu on an Australian desert felt just a tad corny.

“Ville followed us to London’s Angel Studios and later Petrax Studios to film some shots of the orchestra, vocal, guitar and piano sessions.

“The hero of the video is Don Rosa himself; his presence and facial expressions always put a big smile on my face. I hope you will enjoy this adventure as much as we did.”

Music Inspired By The Life and Times of Scrooge – which Holopainen has wanted to write for 14 years – is released on April 14 via Nuclear Blast, and it’s available for pre-order now via Amazon.

Tracklist

01. Glasgow 1877
02. Into The West
03. Duel and Cloudscapes
04. Dreamtime
05. Cold Heart of The Klondike
06. The Last Sled
07. Goodbye, Papa
08. To Be Rich
09. A Lifetime Of Adventure
10. Go Slowly Now, Sands of Time
11. A Lifetime Of Adventure

The original announcement of this project was back at the end of November last year: http://www.progrockmag.com/news/tuomas-holopainen-confirms-scrooge-mcduck-album/, and here is the video of the single from it:

Thumbs Up
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 22:11
I wonder if this is a prog album? Well I'll listen to it nevertheless.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
gerdtheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 20:58
Now that it has been released, I have to say I admire Tuomas even more than before. It may not be a prog album, per se, but it has the most beautiful melodies I have heard in an album. Tuomas is a real genius, hope he continues doing his magic with Nightwish and in his solo project!
Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.
Neil Peart
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 21:18
I heard some advance from this album a few months ago and remember it sounded really interesting. I guess I'll have to check this one out.
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2014 at 01:36
This just came to the library (in which I work). Sounds good, even if I have never been much interested in the music of Nighwish. But the second disc including an all-instrumental version of the same (semi-instrumental) work seems a bit unnecessary and frustrating to me.

...Another question is, would this deserve inclusion in PA and if so, which category would it fit. Orchestrated, ambitious pop music, hmmm...

Edited by Matti - June 22 2014 at 06:08
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2014 at 21:42
I already got this album. I found it rather beautiful, with a very similar feel than Nightwish's Imaginaerum, but without the metal element. Not as strong as that album, though, but the song "A Lifetime of Adventure" is really wonderful.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 15:21
Beautiful album. But you really need to read the comic book that inspired it to get a true feeling for the music. One of the best comic books ever written imho, and I guess there's a reason that various special edition collector versions of it are selling at 1.000 dollars and upwards on ebay.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
TrickedTail View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 22:59
I think this album deserves inclusion into the archives. It is, at the very least, "Prog Related," and potentially crossover prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply