Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSusan Clynes (Belgium) for Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Susan Clynes (Belgium) for Crossover Prog
    Posted: February 12 2014 at 07:30

"Susan Clynes' story started with her birthgift. On April 11th 1988 she came into this world with a piano by her side. Her very own Bechstein at the time, given to her by her father. Composer & pianist Darius Albert Clynes, spoonfed her the language of music and she grew up with music as an everpresent and important part of her education. 'As I grew up music was always a true friend to me, a compagnon in the most joyous as well as the most difficult of times.' Clynes says, reminiscing.
To make a long story short, I guess what I really want is that music can be a friend to as many people as possible. A nonjudgemental, supportive, objective, reflective, beautiful and loving friend that will always be there for you, the way it has always been there for me.
The New York based Records Label MoonJune Records has welcomed the young composer & singer with open arms and will release my very first Live Album & DVD in February 2014. Hope to see you soon at one of the concerts, so we can chat for real. Thanks for your time and interest! Love, Susan." http://www.reverbnation.com/susanclynes

http://moonjunerecords.bandcamp.com/album/life-is

“Life Is...” marks the international debut of Belgian singer/pianist Susan Clynes, on Moonjune Records. This release was com- piled from three live concerts done at two different locations, each one with a unique band configuration.
The Archiduc, an historic Art Deco bar in Brussels dating back to 1937, served as the backdrop for two of these performances. The first was done in trio format with Nico Chkifi on... drums and Pierre Mottet on bass. The second was a more intimate solo performance at the Library of The Cultural Center of Bree. The third and final performance saw the return to the Archiduc, this time as a duet with Simon Lenski on cello. Each band configuration provided its own framework and pallet of tonal colors for these diverse sound portraits.
“A Good Man” and “Ileana’s Song” make playful use of the drumkit and bass. These clever songs lie somewhere between Slapp Happy-era Dagmar Krause, Elaine Di Falco’s work with Thinking Plague, Annette Peacock and early period Kristin Hersh in her band, Throwing Muses. The chiefly instrumental piece, “Les Larmes”, a composition about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, is brim- ming with emotional expression making excellent use of the cello as a universal human voice.
The distilled and emotive songs for voice with piano accompaniment bring to mind such undervalued luminaries as Laura Nyro and Essra Mohawk. Susan’s piano work runs the gamut from such radio-friendly performers as Tori Amos and Fiona Apple, briefly dipping into Tony Banks-like arpeggiations and cascades, and arriving at the jazz-inflected polytonality of French composer, Darius Milhaud."

(Susan Clynes provides vocals on one track on The Wrong Objects' album After The Exhibition, also released on MoonJune
Records.)

released 18 February 2014
SUSAN CLYNES vocals, piano (all tracks)
SIMON LENSKI cello (tracks 3, 4, 7, 8 & 11)
PIERRE MOTTET bass (tracks 2 & 6)
NICO CHKIFI drums (tracks 2 & 6)

All compositions by Susan Clynes.
Recorded live at Archiduc, Brussels & Bib, Bree, Belgium. Produced by Susan Clynes.
Executive production by Leonardo Pavkovic. 

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 08:50
LOL! She is a very fine pianist, with a great voice, and writes some excellent songs too. But when you consider the controversy that still surrounds the addition of artists like Tori Amos and Björk into Crossover Prog, there is probably about as much chance of her making it into the archives with this as Mandy Miller might have if she re-released 'Nellie The Elephant' in 13/8.

Susan is an extremely talented artist indeed, but I just can't see her on PA, I'm afraid.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 18:29
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

LOL! She is a very fine pianist, with a great voice, and writes some excellent songs too. But when you consider the controversy that still surrounds the addition of artists like Tori Amos and Björk into Crossover Prog, there is probably about as much chance of her making it into the archives with this as Mandy Miller might have if she re-released 'Nellie The Elephant' in 13/8.

Susan is an extremely talented artist indeed, but I just can't see her on PA, I'm afraid.

I do see her in Jazz Fusion 

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 18:47
Well she has been interviewed on gagliarchives and is married to Univers Zero's keyboardist. I just ordered this so I guess I'll check it out myself.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 05:02
Well there's a pretty in-depth review of the 'Life Is...' album by Roger Trenwith on The Progressive Aspect: http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog/2014/03/06/susan-clynes-life-is/, which mentions the jazz aspect that comes to the surface in some of these songs: "...The music here can be described as a delightful combination of piano-based singer songwriter idioms, classical chamber music, and jazz-tinged pop music...", and "The solo songs, like Tuesday Rain are easy to visualise being played in a downtown Brussels bar, late at night when thoughts turn romantic, with Susan in full jazz chanteuse mode".
Maybe Scott (Evolver) could check this out and give us his feedback, since he is a prominent member of both the JR/F and Crossover teams?
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 13:39
While there is a slight amount of jazz, it is not, to my ears, fusion or jazz-rock. In fact, it's barely rock at all. She may get approved by crossover, but I see avant as more likely.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
kev rowland View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 02:00
This is an album that I was sent to review when it was released, and although I have always thought of it as jazz in some ways, I actually think that Crossover could be a good fit. Certainly worth putting it to the vote - added to our charts
All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 04:14
Her album was in my original Top 10, but I could not include it here because the artist was not on PA. I hesitated to suggest her because I feared that the lack of overt "rock" in her music might cause the suggestion to be shot down. Anyway, it is great to see that she's been consideredSmile!
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 12:12
Cleared for crossover
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply