FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Anderson/Barre Split

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Anderson/Barre Split
    Posted: February 14 2014 at 09:57
So, i see a new Anderson album coming out...hopefully none of hte spoken word bits that made it impossible for me to listen to taab2, but i digress

is there any real knowledge out there of why ian and martin seem to have parted ways?  really a terrible shame in my mind, though at least it seems ian has stopped flogging the tull name to death now that the last link to the glorious past is gone...

just curious...
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 10:15
Here's a Barre interview from when Ian Anderson announced the TaaB 2 tour: http://www.goldminemag.com/article/jethro-tull-guitarist-martin-barre-takes-high-road-on-taab2-rift

Quote Barre: Yeah, well, it’s not something I really want to talk about. I think the fact of the matter is, I know nothing about it. When Ian announced on the American tour last year that he didn’t want to do any more Jethro Tull shows, Doane and I had no idea that he was planning to do “Thick As A Brick 2.” This was all stuff he had planned before he had told us anything. He told us nothing, yet, obviously, he had thought this through for a long time. It is what it is. Everybody has to draw their own conclusions.

My focus now is to carry on the name and the music of Jethro Tull in the tradition that I love and was mostly involved with: the earlier days. I’ve got nothing more to say about it. I could say this, that or the other, but what will happen will happen, and it’s fine. Everybody has a right to do what they want to do in life. It’s very easy for others to be critical of decisions and directions musicians want to go in. It’s not for me to say. I’m more interested in me and going in the direction that I want to go. And it’s opened up a huge area for me. And vocally, Ian can’t really go there anymore. He’s looking at more flute playing. Actually, I don’t know what he’s looking at, but it’s not the heavy Jethro Tull that I want to represent. That’s all my territory. And I shall embrace it with open arms.

SOunds like they just kinda went their separate ways.

Edited by HemispheresOfXanadu - February 14 2014 at 10:16
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 12:02
Ian Anderson once said that there would be no Jethro Tull without Martin Barre. That seems more true now than ever. The question is: Can there be a Jethro Tull without Ian Anderson? That is a bizarre thought. Will they become their own tribute band? Will there be new material? Only time and Martin will tell.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 12:38
No Tull without Martin and no Tull without Ian.

I have a feeling good old Jethro have not said his last word.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 10:47
As much as I have loved Jethro Tull over the years, I think it's time to hang up the banner and start looking into other things. Retirement for Ian Anderson, unless he stops singing (or attempting to), and for Martin to make his mark as one of the best guitarists the world does not know about. A fantastic musical journey and legacy that has finally reached it's end, as everything does in due time, but I don't think they had very much left playing together. It was quite sad seeing them playing Led Zeppelin songs, when they had such an amazing discography, proving they were growing bore of their own music. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 11:02
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

So, i see a new Anderson album coming out...hopefully none of hte spoken word bits that made it impossible for me to listen to taab2, but i digress
just curious...

I think you will see more of it. It's been said that Ian has lost most of his voice for singing.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Sergey Lenkov View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 12:17
And Ian said that he made proposal to Martin to participate in TAAB2, but Martin rejected to do it.
I could suppose from words of Martin that copyrights and royalties is the problem in their relations with Ian.
I adjusted for the voice of Ian in the last yeas and I'm really enjoing TAAB2.Big smile
By the way, Martin recorded not bad album Away with Words in 2013 - nice JT style music - new pieces mixed with clasic Tull in new arrangements.

Edited by Sergey Lenkov - February 16 2014 at 12:18
Genital Giant View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 18:20
Ian really can't sing anymore. It's seems the only old Progger that went out gracefully was Bruford.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 14:52
His voice's a bit deeper now than it used to, but I don't mind that. The interview linked to earlier was quite enlightening, by the way.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 15:44
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

His voice's a bit deeper now than it used to, but I don't mind that. The interview linked to earlier was quite enlightening, by the way.

Deeper? How about non-existent?! His vocals on stage are embarrassing. He can get away with it in the studio with the latest technology but.....

C'mon, Ian lost his voice years ago and it has gotten so bad on stage that he needs someone else to sing the high bits......I reckon he also needs someone else to sing all the other bits as well!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 10:47
I have not heard Ian Anderson' latest vocal contributions yet, so I can't judge. but let's face it: he was never much of a singer. neither was his range very impressive nor did he hit the notes very well, and his voice was always very nasal.

that does not mean I don't like his vocals. one of my favorite vocalists is the late Robert Calvert of Hawkwind, and he could not sing at all. but the way he delivered his vocal contributions was extremely impressive and totally made up for his lacking singing abilities. you don't have to be a good singer to be a good vocalist

Edited by BaldJean - February 18 2014 at 10:48

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 11:06
I would agree that Ian's losing his voice and most probably economical matters are at the root of the split. Ian likely conceived TAAB2 in his mind and saw it's potential for making some fresh cash and wanted to capitalize the profits without having to share too much of them. Music bands can be strange families, now I love you, now stick your guitar's neck in your ass (I may have to do the same with my flute but that will be less painful LOL).
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 03:58
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I have not heard Ian Anderson' latest vocal contributions yet, so I can't judge. but let's face it: he was never much of a singer. neither was his range very impressive nor did he hit the notes very well, and his voice was always very nasal.

After some surgery on his throat back in the 1990s I think his voice has become a lot deeper, which means that he can't do quite the same vocal melodies before. As a result he needs a second vocalist to sing the higher parts when performing old material in the live setting.

Doesn't really bother me, though, but as you can see a lot of people think different.

Quote that does not mean I don't like his vocals. one of my favorite vocalists is the late Robert Calvert of Hawkwind, and he could not sing at all. but the way he delivered his vocal contributions was extremely impressive and totally made up for his lacking singing abilities. you don't have to be a good singer to be a good vocalist

See also the late Rozz Williams of Christian Death, while in an ostensibly very different genre his vocal style reminded me a lot of an evil Robert Calvert. (right down to affecting a similar accent, despite being American!)

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 06:22
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

After some surgery on his throat back in the 1990s I think his voice has become a lot deeper, which means that he can't do quite the same vocal melodies before. As a result he needs a second vocalist to sing the higher parts when performing old material in the live setting.

Doesn't really bother me, though, but as you can see a lot of people think different.

Quote that does not mean I don't like his vocals. one of my favorite vocalists is the late Robert Calvert of Hawkwind, and he could not sing at all. but the way he delivered his vocal contributions was extremely impressive and totally made up for his lacking singing abilities. you don't have to be a good singer to be a good vocalist

See also the late Rozz Williams of Christian Death, while in an ostensibly very different genre his vocal style reminded me a lot of an evil Robert Calvert. (right down to affecting a similar accent, despite being American!)

actually this track reminds me a lot of this one:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 20:23
It definitely seems(key word here is seems)that Ian and Martin had some sort of falling out. It's unfortunate but sometimes musicians just go in different directions. From what I understand it was the record companies idea for him to do a TAAB 2 album but Ian chose to pursue it as a solo project rather than a JT one.

I do feel lucky in the sense that I was able to see JT live while the band were still active back in 2008. I saw Ian solo about two years prior to that and that show was actually just as good(if not better)than the JT show.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 21:01
Falling out or not, if they're both still healthy, eventually Barre/Anderson will return.  They always have and probably always will, separate projects or not.   We've all been putting up with Ian's diminished voice since the late '80s, you take it or leave it.

Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 18:39
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Falling out or not, if they're both still healthy, eventually Barre/Anderson will return.  They always have and probably always will, separate projects or not.   We've all been putting up with Ian's diminished voice since the late '80s, you take it or leave it.

I appreciate your optimism but really you never know. They might return or they might not. Gentle Giant never returned and neither did the Beatles. Led Zeppelin kind of did but not for another album. The same thing with the Who. So who knows what will happen. It seems neither Ian nor Martin even know.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 18:44
It's not optimism, it's a consistent pattern, and Tull are not facing what Zep, Beatles or the Who did (essentially death).   Just look at the Barre/Anderson history--  if anyone wanted to bet me they wouldn't be back I'd take that bet in a heartbeat.

grasshopperman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 17:22
Saw Martin Barre at Bath Komedia late last year. I looked around and managed to count the people there. Couldn't have been much more than 60. He had a great guitarist playing with him. A French bloke - really nifty. It was a Sunday night mind - and the weather was sh*t.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 11:08
its not the diminished voice that bothered me about taab2, it was the actual talking between songs....just goofy and really a killer for me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>