Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Anderson/Barre Split

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 12:46

I go pretty far back with Tull. First exposure being many years ago when Benefit came out. Tull for me was always a great band. In my humble opinion the finest of Tull came from the work of ...Barre, Glascock, Barlow, Evans, Hammond and Anderson. That band played it's tail off! All that said Barre was the magician...he kept the rock edge to Tull that gave them their popularity that crossed the boundaries of a heavy blues band that played some folk and classical, to a prog rock behemoth. Anderson always took the lions share of the credit and money from that band and over the years I guess he claimed the name too. But I became only a casual listener to the bands later works after "A" and now that Ian cut Martin for his own self preservation, I lost interest. I know the reviews were pretty good for the TAAB 2 album Ian made, but I never bought it. And I don't intend too. When I want Tull I have the real deal in my collection. And that's quite enough for me.

Deafmoon
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 07:55
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

its not the diminished voice that bothered me about taab2, it was the actual talking between songs....just goofy and really a killer for me

Ohhhh, I get it! I have to preform things EXACTLY the way you want!

Confused
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 11:24

so what you are saying is that i have no choice in whether i like something or not?
ProgVanWinkle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 18:28
My 2 cents on Ian, and his voice. 

First of all, obviously his voice is not near what it used to be.   That has to be said.

However, in the studio, it works fine for the most part.  I've heard many prog vocalists not be up to par, and I am perfectly fine with their music.  

(Hell, I was just listening to Steve Howe's "Beginnings" album today and liked it...LOL)

So, for me, his voice is good enough for studio recordings, with help.   I enjoyed TAAB2 very much actually,  Lots of quality compositions on it.

In concert, that's different.   I'd just as soon listen to a different vocalist on stage, at least for a great many of the songs.  Perhaps not all.   But then again, I'm pretty well done with live Ian or Tull at this point.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12