FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassics you haven't heard - and why

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classics you haven't heard - and why
    Posted: February 15 2014 at 04:27
I just realized that I haven't heard any of ELP or Genesis' albums in their entirety, though I have heard individual songs by either. I guess in this case that it has something to do with me not getting into either band before I found them to be so overplayed on radio that I completely lose interest in them. It does not exactly help that around 2011 or so I came to prefer Krautrock/Kosmische Musik and the associated progressive electronic scene as well as Beefheart/Zappa-style avant-rock to British prog.

Speaking of which, there's quite a few of the very earliest UK prog groups I've never heard either: The Moody Blues, The Pretty Things, Tomorrow, Traffic etc. The way they've been kind of forgotten in favour of the more ambitious artists they paved the way for might be one of the reasons, the other that I can't help but expect their music to come across as rather primitive to the bands that immediately followed. I also haven't heard any other Canterbury Scene groups than The Soft Machine but that's more a matter of laziness than anything else as well as the fact that I don't think I know enough about jazz to really "get" that entire style.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 04:45
I've never heard any RPI apart from two albums by PFM, which I love.  I've been saving it for some reason (so there'll always be amazing music yet to discover, that's a good reason)
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 06:33
A bit of a surprising post. Oh, well.
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

(1) I just realized that I haven't heard any of ELP or Genesis' albums in their entirety, though I have heard individual songs by either. I guess in this case that it has something to do with me not getting into either band before I found them to be so overplayed on radio that I completely lose interest in them. (2) It does not exactly help that around 2011 or so I came to prefer Krautrock/Kosmische Musik and the associated progressive electronic scene as well as Beefheart/Zappa-style avant-rock to British prog.
What does one have to do with the other? Confused ELP and Genesis have very little to do with bands like Tangerine Dream.

Speaking of which, there's quite a few of the very earliest UK prog groups I've never heard either: The Moody Blues,The Pretty Things, Tomorrow, Traffic etc.
But you have heard of Vanilla Fudge, The Clouds, 1-2-3, and The Nice, right?

The way they've been kind of forgotten in favour of the more ambitious artists they paved the way for might be one of the reasons, the other that I can't help but expect their music to come across as rather primitive to the bands that immediately followed.
And that's why I don't listen to them either.

I also haven't heard any other Canterbury Scene groups thanThe Soft Machine but that's more a matter of laziness than anything else as well as the fact that I don't think I know enough about jazz to really "get" that entire style.
Neither do I, though I don't think you need to know anything about jazz to
feel it. I'm not quite keen on Canterbury myself unless I get my laptop to play something from Matching Mole or Robert Wyatt solo stuff. That's where I am at. At least give Rock Bottom two chances ('cause one might not quite cut it. )
-----
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I've never heard any RPI apart from two albums by PFM, which I love.  I've been saving it for some reason (so there'll always be amazing music yet to discover, that's a good reason)
Dude, ... get Io Sono Nato LiberoThumbs Up
-----
Why I haven't heard certain classics?

1) I get lazy.
2) I'm tired of spending time on challenging listens. I want to enjoy music, and I want it to come easy. I've found myself spending more time on Contemporary/Baroque folk/pop/singer-songwriter music.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 15 2014 at 06:43
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 06:54
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

A bit of a surprising post. Oh, well.

(1) I just realized that I haven't heard any of ELP or Genesis' albums in their entirety, though I have heard individual songs by either. I guess in this case that it has something to do with me not getting into either band before I found them to be so overplayed on radio that I completely lose interest in them. (2) It does not exactly help that around 2011 or so I came to prefer Krautrock/Kosmische Musik and the associated progressive electronic scene as well as Beefheart/Zappa-style avant-rock to British prog.

What does one have to do with the other? Confused ELP and Genesis have very little to do with bands like Tangerine Dream.

That's the point, that for a long time my preferences in progressive music gravitated towards a completely different corner than the British symphonic prog style. (which I did have an interest in before, though)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 07:22
I'm surprised that there haven't been more responses to this topic. I guess it's just because it's so new. For the sake of perspective, I looked at the PA Top Prog Albums list.  My top two "not heard" bands would have to be Van Der Graaf Generator and the aforementioned ELP.  

In the case of VDGG, I think it's initially because I haven't gotten accustomed to Pete Hammill's singing.  I'm also so fanatical about my love for King Crimson, and I listen to so many different kinds of music, that another band labeled eclectic prog isn't where I'm inclined to go exploring musically.  When it comes to ELP, I don't care for primarily keyboard-driven rock.  Most of what I've heard by ELP just sounds overplayed and lyrically pretentious to me.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 07:25
^ ELP? Over-played? When? Where?
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 08:45
I've never heard Yes-Relayer or Tormato. Or ELP-Love Beach. Or Birth Control-Hoodoo Man. Or Amon Duul 2-Tanz der Lemming. Reason being, I am just a bit lazy, i guess.

Edited by presdoug - February 15 2014 at 08:47
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 10:58
I struggle with foreign languages in my singing which is why i never even tried to like RPI or Magma. I just like hearing lyrics and catching on to some lines, also i feel like not knowing what they're saying is a distraction. 

I'll come back and look over actual "classics" that i haven't heard. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 11:01
I don't know if there are any classics I have heard, although I don't have any Beefheart yet. Does that count?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 12:42
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Amon Duul 2-Tanz der Lemming.
That should be one of your next purchases.  Sounds nothing like Triumvirat or Bruckner, though. Sorry. Smile

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 15 2014 at 12:42
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 15:32
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Amon Duul 2-Tanz der Lemming.
That should be one of your next purchases.  Sounds nothing like Triumvirat or Bruckner, though. Sorry. Smile
Thanks for the warning.LOL Yeah, i should check it out, as I have heard great things about it.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 18:54
I'm kind of bankrupt on the canterbury, zuel, and krautrock.

It's funny because I really lovved Kraftwerk when I was a teen. Tongue

OK I have a couple Caravans...

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 15 2014 at 18:56
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 20:07
There's plenty of American Symph I haven't heard. I don't have any albums by Kansas, Glass Hammer, Spocks Beard. I don't have any Yes after GFTO, any Tull after Heavy Horses, any ELP after BSS, any Genesis after Lamb. Neo also completely passes me by, I have no Marillion, IQ, Magenta or Arena.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 00:02
I'm hard pressed to think of any 'classics' I have not heard...or don't own. I've made an effort over the last 10 years to fill in any gaps in my music appreciation, but I've been collecting a long time so I already have owned most of the older things. There are some RPI and some prog metal things I haven't heard since those are two areas that I don't listen to all that much but as far as the old classics I don't think there are many I haven't heard.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 02:44
The top ten albums from PA's "Top Prog Albums" I've not heard:

Red, King Crimson
Godbluff, Van Der Graaf Generator
Hybris, Änglagård
Per Un Amico, Premiata Forneria Marconi
Pawn Hearts, VDGG
Io Sono Nato Libero, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
Si On Avait Besoin d'Une Cinquième Saison, Harmonium
Storia di Un Minuto, PFM
The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage, Peter Hammill
Birds of Fire, Mahavishnu Orchestra

Some common reasons I haven't heard these albums:

- Lyrics in a language other than English, Spanish, or German (the three I [mostly] understand)
- I've started collecting the artist's discography, but have not yet acquired this album
- I haven't yet invested the time, energy, or money to get into the artist, but I plan on doing so
- I find the music difficult to appreciate, and therefore invest my time, energy, and money in other artists
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 05:54
Loads and the reason is time and money. I'm gradually catching up though. In that last few years I've picked up albums by bands I hadn't listened to much - VDGG , Harmonium, Banco, Mahavishnu Orchestra

15 years ago I had no Gentle Giant in my collection, now I have nearly everything by them. Listening to prog is an ongoing project that will never be finished (sadly)

On the subject of ELP , if you have 'The Atlantic Years' 2 CD set then you are sorted. They are my favourite band but a good compilation suffices if you are not that keen on them.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 07:55
^Hey, Richard, am i right that there is a Special Edition of Love Beach with a live track or two of songs  from that album  added on? I think that is probably what i will go for.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 08:01
any of the progressive italiano bands. caravan gong khan hatfield of the north. camel gentle giant.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 08:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

There's plenty of American Symph I haven't heard. I don't have any albums by Kansas, Glass Hammer, Spocks Beard. I don't have any Yes after GFTO, any Tull after Heavy Horses, any ELP after BSS, any Genesis after Lamb. Neo also completely passes me by, I have no Marillion, IQ, Magenta or Arena.

If you only get one album by Kansas, I highly recommend Two For The Show.  Big smile

BTW I had all the GG albums by 15 years ago, what the hell is the matter with you? LOL

OK, I'm old.

I've pretty much collected all the older prog I "need".  I pretty much exclusively get new stuff.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 16 2014 at 08:16
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 10:33
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

There's plenty of American Symph I haven't heard. I don't have any albums by Kansas, Glass Hammer, Spocks Beard.

Me neither.

Quote I don't have any Yes after GFTO, any Tull after Heavy Horses, any ELP after BSS, any Genesis after Lamb

I'm under the impression each of those were considered the respective groups' last classic album anyway.

More bands I've heard songs but not entire albums by include Dream Theater, Magma, Mastodon, Ozric Tentacles, Rush and VDGG. The former because I either don't find their styles terribly interesting in the first place or know that I don't even understand their music, the last one because what I mentioned about how I lost interest in Anglo-Prog at the same time I discovered Kosmische Musik. (and also went through a phase where I didn't listen to much music from before the 1990s)

Bands I haven't heard at all include pretty much all the Italians, Eloy, Gentle Giant, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Marillion, Renaissance, Talk Talk. Maybe it's kind of cheating to mention artists in genres I don't like very much.

Here's something that might surprise some of you: I'm quite the fan of Captain Beefheart but I haven't heard all of Trout Mask Replica or anything from Lick My Decals Off Baby, since they appear to be his two most difficult albums. (and also his most acclaimed) As a matter of fact, I didn't really understand the Captain's music until I heard The Mirrorman Sessions.

Also haven't heard other Voivod albums in their entirety than Nothingface and The Outer Limits... again, because I didn't really understand the band's music as it came from outside my comfort zone at the time. (was mostly into metal and prog but not into punk or 1980s indie like I am now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>