FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassics you haven't heard - and why

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 10:44
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I've never heard Yes-Relayer or Tormato. Or ELP-Love Beach. Or Birth Control-Hoodoo Man. Or Amon Duul 2-Tanz der Lemming. Reason being, I am just a bit lazy, i guess.

Nowadays, that's silly. On top of it, it is all available at Youtube for free and it says "album" for you. You don't even have to buy it.

However, the real issue here is that too many of these "listens" turn into 3 minute bits and pieces and the minute you do that with these longer pieces, your appreciation of music is wasted.

So, the best thing I can say for that is ... go back to your top ten, junior. It serves you better. Bye!

- AD2 is a must listen, but most folks can't listen to the MM thing after 2 minutes. "Where's the lyrics?"
- Relayer is a bit of an assault. I kinda think that they wanted to tell reviewers to take a flying leap into the poop! It's very good, although you can say it gets wild.
- Birth Control is nice, but one of those bands that eventually you go ... so what?
- Tormato did a total of ... nothing! for me!

Listening is an art, or a pleasure. Not a hindrance!

Meet the new boss ... same as the old boss ... still not listening!

I just wish I had the time to listen to more of these things listed here ... it's almost too much! But too much is good! But you will go off the deep end in the most nightmarish drug induced stupor ... because you don't know, and want to find out more! But you won't take that step? Sometimes, for me, this is more about laziness than it is about curiosity ... like you're not gonna move me to spend time listening to Rush at all! Don't even try it!

Edited by moshkito - February 16 2014 at 10:46
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 11:36
^Believe it or not, i am still on old dail-up internet access, so i can't watch youtube videos thru my own computer, odd but true.
                   I can really get into long pieces or suites and going without vocals for a stretch does not hinder my appreciation of something.
                    Your refer to my "Top Ten", well, it is my top ten, and not based on any preconceived basis for a top ten, just my personal favorites, consisting of artists like Helmut Koellen and Dirk Steffens that not a whole lot of people give a hoot about, anyway!
                           And don't call me "junior", I happen to be 51 years old.
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 14:45

I'm behind on a few classics. The primary reason being that I want to listen to new music in an environment with no distractions so I can truly digest their material, and I'm too busy at this moment to have that luxury. But that'll turn around soon, God willing!

The biggest example that comes to mind is Gentle Giant, but I intend to remedy that soon enough. There are a few subgenres I haven't tapped into yet either, even a little. Again, will change in due time.

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 15:48
I also haven't realized until now that I've never heard Gong either, despite them being right up my alley in both style and ethos. Sometimes I just want to listen to the audial equivalent of a sensationalistic book about the paranormal or a New Wave science-fiction novel obviously written under stronger influence from creative pharmacology than the natural sciences, preferably with a colourful psychedelic cover art and in paperback format.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 16:42
For some reason i never listen to Led Zeppelin much any more,not sure why unless it's because i hear them so much on the local Classic Rock stations.I did crank up 4 tracks from Presence though yesterday.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 01:28

^Hey, Richard, am i right that there is a Special Edition of Love Beach with a live track or two of songs  from that album  added on? I think that is probably what i will go for.

Doug, there is the 2001 release on Sanctuary that has 3 bonus tracks
Canario (Rehearsal 1978)
Taste Of My Love (Rehearsal 1978)
Letters For The Front (Rehearsal 1978)

these are quite interesting as they have a bit more energy and the power of Palmer's drumming is more evident than on the final 'weedy' mix.

They never performed it live ( can't imagine whyWink)
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 05:34

I've never heard Yes-Relayer or Tormato. Or ELP-Love Beach. Or Birth Control-Hoodoo Man. Or Amon Duul 2-Tanz der Lemming. Reason being, I am just a bit lazy, i guess.
Yes-Relayer is a bucket-list must!  One of the most under-rated (and best) Yes albums (despite the absence of of Wakeman - although he composed most of the music played by Moraz on that album).  You can forget Tormato - it is a waste of your time and your ear audio-waves...
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 05:37
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

Yes-Relayer is a bucket-list must!  One of the most under-rated (and best) Yes albums ... .
No, it's doing just fine. Here, on RYM, ... where else? ... 

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 17 2014 at 05:38
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 10:11
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I also haven't realized until now that I've never heard Gong either, despite them being right up my alley in both style and ethos. Sometimes I just want to listen to the audial equivalent of a sensationalistic book about the paranormal or a New Wave science-fiction novel obviously written under stronger influence from creative pharmacology than the natural sciences, preferably with a colourful psychedelic cover art and in paperback format.
You better duck and cover since there are a lot of Gong fans here.
I think 'You' is their best but there are some good tunes on all of their early LP's. The later ones went into more of a jazz fusion area.
Personally when I want to hear Hillage on guitar,   I play 'Khan'.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 10:13
^I reach for You or Fish Rising if I want a Hillage kick myselfBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 10:23
There's a lot of 70s prog albums I don't own yet. Nothing by Genesis or Yes yet, and only Brain Salad Surgery by ELP. Plenty of Pink Floyd in my collection though. And it's mainly because modern prog has grabbed me and speaks to me more.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 10:43

^Believe it or not, i am still on old dail-up internet access, so i can't watch youtube videos thru my own computer, odd but true.
                   I can really get into long pieces or suites and going without vocals for a stretch does not hinder my appreciation of something.
                    Your refer to my "Top Ten", well, it is my top ten, and not based on any preconceived basis for a top ten, just my personal favorites, consisting of artists like Helmut Koellen and Dirk Steffens that not a whole lot of people give a hoot about, anyway!

Junior wasn't for you ... it was a generic comment. You deserve a lot more than that, and I know you are a good listener! Now go to the bathroom, fill up the tub, have a smoke and enjoy the heat! Then come back! Lord Byron used to say it was the great equalizer for the soul!

The top ten reference was not to you, and please stop thinking it was about you. It was about things in general. Too many folks here ask for the top this and that, and many times it is all they hear, and they do not check or know what the other stuff is all about. The word "classics" itself, applies to a small number of pieces, and guess what? ProgArchives is not that small, but their top ten (100 actually) ... really is, by comparison!

Sad to hear about dial up. Hopefull one day you can get a bit more than that.

Edited by moshkito - February 17 2014 at 10:44
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:13
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Junior wasn't for you ... it was a generic comment. You deserve a lot more than that, and I know you are a good listener! Now go to the bathroom, fill up the tub, have a smoke and enjoy the heat! Then come back! Lord Byron used to say it was the great equalizer for the soul!

The top ten reference was not to you, and please stop thinking it was about you. It was about things in general. Too many folks here ask for the top this and that, and many times it is all they hear, and they do not check or know what the other stuff is all about. The word "classics" itself, applies to a small number of pieces, and guess what? ProgArchives is not that small, but their top ten (100 actually) ... really is, by comparison!

Sad to hear about dial up. Hopefull one day you can get a bit more than that.
Sorry, mosh, if I took your comments the wrong way. I see what you mean, now. I think I will take a warm bath, and then try to chill out! And give you a hug all the way from Ottawa!Hug

Edited by presdoug - February 17 2014 at 11:15
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:15
Never heard a single RPI classic LP.
This night wounds time.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:35
I suspect that I have heard most of the classics but "go back to your top ten, junior" was one I'd not heard before. 

Pinch
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:41
The problem with answering is "what is a classic?"

However, in the spirit of other answers, whole swaths of RPI and Jethro Tull are the two that come to mind.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 12:35
Exile on Main Street

Why? No idea.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 12:46
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Never heard a single RPI classic LP.
Check out the band Libra, they are a must for RPI!
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 14:53
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

The problem with answering is "what is a classic?"

For the purposes of this thread, I define it as a recording that's historically important to the development of its genre.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 15:10
^If that's the case, I'll have to add a smattering of proto-prog to my list too. I'm familiar with a lot of the groups, but haven't heard a complete album from any single one, minus the obligatory Beatles selection anyone from that time or who had parents from that time grew up with, and for good reason. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>