FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassics you haven't heard - and why

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 10:25
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Of course, my original point being that there is a lot of music I avoid for reasons I know aren't justifiable.
What reasons do you have for avoiding  other bands?
Style of music, lack of time, etc..?
Just curious.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 12:51
If their music is too difficult to find, and if descriptions of their signature sound or especially their "band concept" describes something I probably won't like. Likewise, if the concept revolves around some kind of unsubtle political/religious agenda I'm a bit more hesitant, but won't write them off completely since the music often suffers but not always.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 10:17
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

If their music is too difficult to find, and if descriptions of their signature sound or especially their "band concept" describes something I probably won't like. Likewise, if the concept revolves around some kind of unsubtle political/religious agenda I'm a bit more hesitant, but won't write them off completely since the music often suffers but not always.
Fair enough......
I don't pay attention to political or religious themes at first unless they are so obvious it is annoying or offensive.
I usually pay attention to the musical style and themes and then if that is interesting I'll see what they are 'talking about' with their lyrics.
My personal turn offs are tech and extreme prog metal that is loud and hard and with guttural vocals. Other than that I give most things a listen online to see if I might like it. I am fairly picky and usually buy eclectic, symph, prog folk, or Canterbury music.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 06:49
ELP's Brain Salad Surgery. Haven't heard the whole thing, but I've taken a listen to KARN EVIL 9 and quite like it.
I think there may be a new edition coming out of this album, so it may be a good time for me to grab it. Can't hurt. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Vincent Carr's SUMIC View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 13:52
After scanning the top 100 the ones that leap out are PFM and Anglagard. I've heard of PFM and even had an LP or two in my hands at record fairs over the years, and in the end have bought something else instead.

I've never heard of Anglagard. Maybe I should use this posting as a springboard to at least find out what they sound like!
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 18:24
I haven't heard all or any of 17 of the Top PA 50 albums, including most of the Italian.

I've slowly been working through a PA thread entitled "Your #1 Prog Masterpiece", though. Otherwise, it would be 20+ of the Top 50.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 01:08
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

ELP's Brain Salad Surgery. Haven't heard the whole thing, but I've taken a listen to KARN EVIL 9 and quite like it.
I think there may be a new edition coming out of this album, so it may be a good time for me to grab it. Can't hurt. :)

there is

has been my favourite album for a long while but its one of those that divides opinions. Its ELP being ELP with all the pomposity and bombast they could muster. Not one for those who like subtlety.Wink

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 13:47
Brain Salad Surgery is one of progressive rock's brightest candles.

I've never been able to get into the Moodies, though. Many years ago, because a friend really liked them, I bought a collection that proved quite underwhelming. Not for me, I guess.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2014 at 23:24
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

there is
has been my favourite album for a long while but its one of those that divides opinions. Its ELP being ELP with all the pomposity and bombast they could muster. Not one for those who like subtlety.Wink

Richard my friend, I know this album is a must for keen progressive ears to hear. It's a pretty notable album and you can be sure I will pick this album up one day and hear it good and proper....no snippets
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 08:15
Classics I never heard: The Dragon, L' Apocalypse des Animaux, Earth, Opera Sauvage, Soil Festivities, Direct, Mask. Recently known the album El Greco - just amazing!

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 10:19
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Classics I never heard: The Dragon, L' Apocalypse des Animaux, Earth, Opera Sauvage, Soil Festivities, Direct, Mask. Recently known the album El Greco - just amazing!

Vangelis's El Greco is incredible. I've played that album a billion times because I love to fall asleep to it.
It warrants no less than 5 stars. It's amazing. Very classical, sweet and operatic. ;)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 14:07

Those are all great. In fact you are very close to listing all my favourite Vangelis albums. Heaven and Hell , China ,Voices and Blade Runner are the only ones I would put above them.

I would also strongly recommend his two albums with Irene Papas - Odes and Rapsodies.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 17:35

Those are all great. In fact you are very close to listing all my favourite Vangelis albums. Heaven and Hell , China ,Voices and Blade Runner are the only ones I would put above them.

I'd put Albedo 0.39 above all of them except L'AdA, which is an equally beautiful album, very different in tone and nature.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 01:29
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I'd put Albedo 0.39 above all of them except L'AdA, which is an equally beautiful album, very different in tone and nature.

Albedo is probably the messiest Vangelis album. Some real gems yet some equally odd stuff imo. 
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 06:12

I would also strongly recommend his two albums with Irene Papas - Odes and Rapsodies.

Hey Richard, thanks for the references, i'll check them out as soon as i can. Heaven and Hell , China ,Voices and Blade Runner i already know and for sure they are great, although i enjoyed more "The Music of Cosmos" and "El Greco" more than China and Blade Runner.

Interesting to check out also these albums with that greek singer.

I've check out a track from Tangerine Dream - Church Theme, which is the first from them i happen to know - very beautiful, but i suppose they have others even better, haven't they?

Edited by Rick Robson - April 26 2014 at 22:13

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 02:28

Hey Richard, thanks for the references, i'll check them out as soon as i can. Heaven and Hell , China ,Voices and Blade Runner i already know and for sure they are great, although i enjoyed more "The Music of Cosmos" and "El Greco" more than China and Blade Runner.

Interesting to check out also these albums with that greek singer.

I've check out a track from Tangerine Dream - Church Theme, which is the first from them i happen to know - very beautiful, but i suppose they have others even better, haven't they?
Church Theme is from the Wavelength s/t which I've only just acquired. Its is from that 1980-1985 period when the line up was Froese, Franke and Schmoelling. That is my favourite period of TD without doubt. Either Tangram or Poland should be your next port of call from that era or maybe Logos.

You can pretty much divide TD into these era's

Ambient/Psyche period up to 1974 I don't know that much about. Can't make any recommendation from that period except I know that Zeit gets a lot of positive mentions on the forum. I intend to pick it up at some point.
1975 - 1979 was their most progressive and interesting period but also somewhat inconsistent. Force Majeure is the best imo.
1980 - 1985 as mentioned
1986 and beyond I think TD became less collaborative and was really Froese using the band name for his solo output aided and abetted by his son and a few others. Franke got fed up and left about 1987 to purse his own solo career (the music for Babylon 5 was probably his high point)
In recent years (2004 onwards) TD have become a lot more retro in approach. There are a number of albums I like such as the Booster series (6 releases so far) but I wouldn't recommend any in particular. Best to stick to the earlier eras if you are building a collection.

Hawkeye_Maverick View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 15:56
I still need to hear ELP, Gentle Giant and Van Der Graaf Generator, full albums, I've only listened to a couple of songs :(
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 16:09

If you like "Church Theme," get the album it's sourced from, Pergamon: Live at the Palast der Republik, released in 1980. "Church Theme" is one of several pieces sourced from Pergamon for the Wavelength soundtrack. Two excellent side-length suites.

If you like what you hear, also check the Tangerine Dream albums Tangram, Exit, White Eagle and Thief (also a film soundtrack) at the very least, also recorded by the same line-up. I'd also recommend the 1979 album Force Majeure.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 16:14

1986 and beyond I think TD became less collaborative and was really Froese using the band name for his solo output aided and abetted by his son and a few others. Franke got fed up and left about 1987 to purse his own solo career (the music for Babylon 5 was probably his high point)
In recent years (2004 onwards) TD have become a lot more retro in approach. There are a number of albums I like such as the Booster series (6 releases so far) but I wouldn't recommend any in particular. Best to stick to the earlier eras if you are building a collection.

1986's Underwater Sunlight was the last truly great "collaborative" trio album by TD, and also the last wholly unique one (back when each new album yielded tonnes of great new sounds and melodies and sequences). Being it's the first with Paul Haslinger, on the heels of Johannes' departure, it makes sense, but then...

...as you mentioned, Chris Franke left after Tyger, which was a unique yet pleasant experiment for them.

Optical Race, Melrose and Rockoon represent a transitional window, IMO, where Edgar balanced a collaborative approach with yielding more control to Jerome. It's like they wanted to incorporate a more traditional instrumental rock sound, but some of the drum patterns are questionable. Sometimes it's just better to get a real drummer if that's what you want.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 01:19
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

1986's Underwater Sunlight was the last truly great "collaborative" trio album by TD, and also the last wholly unique one (back when each new album yielded tonnes of great new sounds and melodies and sequences). Being it's the first with Paul Haslinger, on the heels of Johannes' departure, it makes sense, but then...

...as you mentioned, Chris Franke left after Tyger, which was a unique yet pleasant experiment for them.

Optical Race, Melrose and Rockoon represent a transitional window, IMO, where Edgar balanced a collaborative approach with yielding more control to Jerome. It's like they wanted to incorporate a more traditional instrumental rock sound, but some of the drum patterns are questionable. Sometimes it's just better to get a real drummer if that's what you want.

Yep I agree although think things got even worse after Rockoon before picking up over the last 10 years or so.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>