Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassics you haven't heard - and why

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 02:49
The albums Tommy and Quadraphenia by the Who....
.......why ??    I don't really like the band's style. I can't get into them, I once had Live At Leeds, a. 80's Live with the Union Jack on the cover (Kenny Jones on drums) and they didn't do anything for me.
Also had 2 Entwistle solo albums coz I know that he was a great bassist, but they, too, did little for me.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 04:36
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

The albums Tommy and Quadraphenia by the Who....
.......why ??    I don't really like the band's style. I can't get into them, I once had Live At Leeds, a. 80's Live with the Union Jack on the cover (Kenny Jones on drums) and they didn't do anything for me.
Also had 2 Entwistle solo albums coz I know that he was a great bassist, but they, too, did little for me.

Oh dear. This is called having the worst possible start.

Who's Last (Not Live At Leeds) IS dreadul. Phoned in vocals and guitars. And it's bad line. A pit of a live album, should never have been released. Entwistle's albums are his indulgence, same with Daltey's (usually).

Quadrophenia, Tommy are classics. But I recommend the best start is Who's Next. If that doesn't do it - then better move on... Live At Leeds is vital stuff. Then other albums, compilations...

Good luck

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 06:00
^ I did mean I had Live At Leeds ( with Young Man Blues, Magic Bus, shakin all over etc.) and an 80's live. Thought they were a strong band in live performance but they came across as somewhat 'regular'. I dunno, just not something I connect with.
The Entwistle albums were one with a cool design , something like a cartoonish 'night time in the woods' scene. I recall an owl somewhere on it, had a song called Nightmare, which was my favourite, and Too Late The Hero, only the title song was listenable for me. This is going back around 20-odd years ago. A friend of mine at the time had Face Dances, which I thought was pure dross.........
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 14:08
Baba O'Riley was probably my introduction to prog. I remember first hearing that when I was about 13 and it changed my feelings about music totally. The Who never recorded another track like it sadly. Quadrophenia is probably a better album than Who's Next. The keyboards and synths help create a nice symphonic backdrop at times. I also like The Who By Numbers and would even put that above Who's Next for consistency and quality of songs.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 14:39
Wow, you've never heard Tommy and Quadrophenia.  I guess you haven't watched the movies either.  I'm surprised, as I  has assumed that you were of a demographic that It would have been hard not to hear them.   I'm transferring my experience too much onto what I would expect another's experience to be.  Face Dances is quite poor, by the way, and of course is best not compared to the band's classic material.  I did like It's Hard, though.  That was the first cassette I ever bought.

I love this:

Anyway, a "prog related" classic I haven't heard is ummm, well all of the Godley and Creme albums I think.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 21:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Baba O'Riley was probably my introduction to prog. I remember first hearing that when I was about 13 and it changed my feelings about music totally. The Who never recorded another track like it sadly. Quadrophenia is probably a better album than Who's Next. The keyboards and synths help create a nice symphonic backdrop at times. I also like The Who By Numbers and would even put that above Who's Next for consistency and quality of songs.

Baba O'Riley - well reminded as a great song, also one of my favourites of this talented band The Who, besides "The Rock" and "Quadrophenia" (both from Quadrophenia), "Go To The Mirror!" and "Overture" (both from Tommy), all these are really great, but there must be other nice songs too, right now I can recall other two: "Love, Reign O'er Me"(Quadrophenia) and "Underture" (Tommy). The fact is that I know only the albums - The Who Sell Out, studio (1967); Tommy, studio (1969); Who's Next, studio (1971) and Quadrophenia, studio (1973).

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 22:16
Neuschwanstein, Wallenstein - Never regret about any german band I happened to know by now. Also want to check out Aphrodite's Child (although I read it's not symphonic like) and IQ.

Edited by Rick Robson - April 30 2014 at 23:07

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 00:33
Oh yeah, I just remembered I had the album where the guys pissed against a pillar - Who's Next maybe. I guess I haven't looked into them for so long I don't recall much. I have seen the albums time and time again at fairs but didn't bother. No, I haven't seen the films, I know the songs Pinball Wizzard and Touch Me Feel Me (no thanks !!) but I suppose it's probably like selling ice to the Eskimos......
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 01:03
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Neuschwanstein, Wallenstein - Never regret about any german band I happened to know by now. Also want to check out Aphrodite's Child (although I read it's not symphonic like) and IQ.

Aphrodites Child - yep check out '666' for sure. One of my favourite albums. Here is a good review of it

Edited by richardh - May 01 2014 at 01:03
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 23:00
In my case, it’s always been monetary issues. I’ve had periods of little disposable income, so there have been a lot of artists that I wanted to explore more in depth but couldn’t. Within the last year, some classic titles I’ve bought for the first time in any form include:

Banco—Di Terra
PFM—Per un Amico
Kevin Ayers—Joy of a Toy
Peter Hammill—In Camera
Jethro Tull—Live Bursting Out
Frank Zappa—Chunga’s Revenge
Echolyn—Suffocating the Bloom
SFF—Ticket to Everywhere
Can—Future Days
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 07:54
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Aphrodites Child - yep check out '666' for sure. One of my favourite albums. Here is a good review of it

Thanks Richard, but you know the time is short for so much good music and believe it or not they are still in my wishlist (besides a huge Classical Music stuff) , exception made for that good german bands as already expected - it's worth mentioning the band Neuschwanstein even though this band issued only 2 albums, the first one (Battlement) I found an interesting syle there, rich in lovely flute and chord melodies melted with beautiful keyboards, sadly it marked the end of the band's life, I think they had much potential to develop from that initial work.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 18:06
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ ELP? Over-played? When? Where?

Yes to be honest they have been over-played over and over and over and over everyday at home.

The classics I still never heard:

The Enid, King Crimson (I've been told here by Dr.Woo that ITCOTCK should be at least heard by anyone who is into prog on any level), Van Der Graaf Generator, Tangerine Dream, PFM, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Focus, The Nice, Gentle Giant, Libra, Soft Machine, Aphrodite's Child, Stephen Caudel, Pekka Pohjola.

And:
The "newies" I still never heard: Abel Ganz (except Shooting Albatross), Glass Hammer, Machines Dream, The Emerald Dawn, Argos, Panic Room, there are plenty others for sure but right now I have to take a shower, you know what I mean:

Edited by Rick Robson - July 31 2014 at 10:43

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 03:18
The only PA top 20 I have not heard are IQ and Anglagard.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 05:04
I haven't listened to much ELP, and it's entirely due to the fact that every time I try and get into them, I find another band that manages to catch my attention for the moment Embarrassed.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 08:20
^Yeah but not only you have these kinds of difficulties, that happens with me too with some prog bands.

Edited by Rick Robson - August 04 2014 at 08:21

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567