Topic ClosedClassics you haven't heard - and why

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 07:59
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

While reading Jon Cavanaugh's book about the recording of Piper at the Gates of Dawn I also realized I've never heard the entirety of neither Dark Side of the Moon nor Wish You Were Here. Overexposure on radio play of their big hits really killed both LPs for me prematurely.
That's the silliest thing I've read on this forum in a very long time. LOL
What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 11:49
I freely admit there's quite a bit of music I avoid for rather irrational reasons.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 12:09
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
 It might be seen as rather neurotic, but and I can identify with your sentiment.

I also identify with this quote: "The fact that logic cannot satisfy us awakens an almost insatiable hunger for the irrational" (A.N. Wilson).

EDIT: I don't like this irritating code that's recently been coming up in my posts which seems to be Bitdefender though I can't find that on my system.  I'll try to do something about fixing it.

Edited by Logan - March 07 2014 at 12:13
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 13:15
I guess I should mention that I also have a more rational one here: Going by the other PF albums I own (Piper, Saucerful, AHM, Animals and The Wall) it seems like I like them less and less as their music became more "normal" for lack of a better word.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2014 at 23:46
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

While reading Jon Cavanaugh's book about the recording of Piper at the Gates of Dawn I also realized I've never heard the entirety of neither Dark Side of the Moon nor Wish You Were Here. Overexposure on radio play of their big hits really killed both LPs for me prematurely.

OUCH!!

But luckily both are concept albums and are meant to be heard in their entirety.
Maybe that might give some life to it for yourself. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 02:03
This over rated / over played thing.... if you are listening to radio and hearing the same old song and dance why not change stations? If something is over played then that is NOT the fault of the music or artist being over done. Undoubtedly many are over played, programmers (despite the first 4 letters therein) lack imagination and creativity and try to keep people controlled.

Are ELP really overdone on the radio? I thought it was 2 - 3 numbers at most. Karn Evil 9 Part 2, Fanfare, and Lucky Man, as ever. There are many terrific pieces on their releases to be explored. ELP are an albums band, not pop single time no matter how much some try to condition you into thinking so.

Listen to a jazz or classical station - which I've found not to suffer from rock or pop reactionary / format mind sets.

This way I can enjoy radio staples when I like not when someone else has decided I should hear them.
Once upon a time, a long long time ago Dark Side would never get played on radio and anyone wanting Sabbath was a metal head and a satanist. Apparently these were (are?) bad things.

Actually I'm amazed in portable music territory that radio still gets air time.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 05:17
Like I say, there's quite a bit of music I avoid for reasons I admit aren't completely rational. That I also on a personal subjective level find PF more musically interesting early on when they didn't completely know what they were doing is something different, though, and even if it wasn't so overplayed I wouldn't be that inclined to listen to Dark Side of the Moon as I am to Atom Heart Mother.

I've also never listened to any Gentle Giant LP but I'm neither sure they're historically important enough to count as a classic band. In their case it's because I find the cult surrounding the band annoying but I listen to plenty of artists with even more annoying fanbases. (Swans, for instance)
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 09:55
Swans has an annoying fan base?

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 10:06
I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves....

Ermm

I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves,  I know a Swan that'll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves.

Approve
What?
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 10:09
And it goes like this...
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 10:14
LOL
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 12:19
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Swans has an annoying fan base?

I should know, I'm a member of it.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 20:03
What kind of cult, exactly, surrounds Gentle Giant?  I am very curious because they don't have stuff like their own language.  All they can be accused of is of having a funny and adorable mascot.  Yeah, they have enthusiastic fans which is (a) just the same as any other band and (b) quite justified considering the significance of their work.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:07
It's more that every time GG are mentioned it's accompanied by (increasingly predictable) complaints that they weren't as popular as the other big UK prog rock bands of their generation... something I never see with Camel or Van der Graaf Generator for instance.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:14
Camel are not really at that level anyway.  The only thing going for them vis a vis the big prog rock bands is Latimer's solos.  

As for VDGG, there used to be an older bio on their page in the database which claimed that if there was one band that deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as the big ones, it was VDGG.  Or maybe I read it in one of the reviews, I can't recall.  At any rate, perhaps you haven't come across it but certainly there is a huge following for VDGG that regards them as the greatest band and all that and, predictably, finds the adulation heaped on Genesis or Yes unjustifiable.  It's just a chip on the shoulder syndrome, nothing more to it (and hardly a reason to avoid a band, as it's not THEIR doing).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:23
I'm talking about level of popularity, which can be objectively determined by way of concert/record sales and radio airplay, not about level of quality which I consider at least partially subjective.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:29
I know.  I am just saying there isn't really a very convincing argument to include Camel in the same bracket as the big prog rock bands.  Further, they came a bit later and were kind of derivative of the older bands whereas GG debuted in 1970.  I am afraid I cannot explain this matter further unless you actually listen to the respective bands.  But what you described above is hardly cultish, it's pretty normal among fans of bands with a large discography that didn't however become massively popular.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:35
Yeah, I feel the same way with Voivod vis-a-vis the other most important 1980s prog metal groups. Thing is that I don't harp on it that way, because for me it's pretty clear why they don't command the same kind of following at all.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - March 31 2014 at 11:36
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:37
And no more do I as an individual lament the lack of popularity of GG or any other band whose work I am fond of.  All I am saying is fans' opinions have no connection with the band themselves and the focus should be on their work, right?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:42
Of course, my original point being that there is a lot of music I avoid for reasons I know aren't justifiable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>