Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Revival of Prog's enfant terrible, Phil Collins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRevival of Prog's enfant terrible, Phil Collins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Revival of Prog's enfant terrible, Phil Collins
    Posted: February 15 2014 at 15:37
Should I feel sorry for this guy, Genesis drummer, Phil Collins (as if I - and you - do not know him Stern Smile )- retired (due to his sensitivenes to public opinion?), but very talented (hell, he has sold more than everyone else except Macca and Michael Jackson Cool).

...So let's celebrate him Big smile...as Danish state radio did a few months ago in a 6 hr marathon (listen to the podcast http://www.dr.dk/radio/ondemand/p7mix/p7-mix-maraton-phil-collins#!/) - you probably need to be a Scandinavian to appreciate the words between the great music...but anyway...:

Is he preparing for a comeback (creating new music - for himself or others - since his last album?) and how significant is it gonna be?

Has his "staying out of the public's eye" (due to critisim of his personal and musical direction?) been advantageous to (his returnig to?) a forthcoming musical comeback. Remind you, Macca is still active at 72 and on Rollin' Stone's 2013's top 10 with 'NEW'.

Any reply on the (? )in the above is much appreciated.... this guy is 'underappreciated' Wink......

Edited by earlyprog - February 15 2014 at 16:15
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 16:07
Phil Collins Day should be an official holiday.

Magma America Great Make Again
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 20:16
Word to the wise Phil, if the rest of us knew that circa 150 million people didn't consider us dicks, we would all be well pleasedErmm
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 20:47
In 2014, Phil Collins revealed that he was collaborating on new material with Adele. Dead
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 20:59
Adele is good singer
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 23:19
Well....since I don't own a single solo LP by Collins nor any Genesis  after Wind and Wuthering it doesn't matter to me if he makes a comeback or not.
Unless of course he decides to do some Brand X or other jazz fusion or prog related music , then I might give it a listen.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 23:33
Phil Collins drummer = excellent.

Phil Collins pop star = terrible & waste of talent.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 00:33
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Should I feel sorry for this guy, Genesis drummer, Phil Collins (as if I - and you - do not know him Stern Smile )- retired (due to his sensitivenes to public opinion?)
Has his "staying out of the public's eye" (due to critisim of his personal and musical direction?) been advantageous

Regardless of our opinion of him as singer working in the pop genre, a lot of his retirement initially was due to going virtualy deaf in one ear, as well as crippling injuries that have more or less left him unable to even hold a drumstick. Now, I have no idea if those injuries have healed or not, but to suggest `sensitivenes to public opinion' is total bulls**t!

Upset about public opinion?! I guess he can cry himself to sleep on piles and piles of money!

I guarantee, there's a lot more people that came to know him through his pop era than us more or less `few' who either were around for the early prog days, or have come to appreciate it now. I bet if most of those same pop fans heard the early Genesis stuff, they'd think it would be a joke.

However, there is no doubt whatsoever that Phil deserves immense respect, so many decades in the music business, no matter what style he chooses to work in.

(although of course it would be nice if he returned to Prog!)

(also would be good if he was working with Banks and Rutherford on a new Genesis studio album)   
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 02:40
I have enormous respect for Collins as a musician and integral member of Genesis, but if he has some kind of 'comeback' I can't imagine he'll be doing anything that's going to get my attention. It's likely to be fairly insispid, middle of the road music I imagine.

He has had a lot of bad press over the years though, which I don't think was deserved.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 06:31
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Phil Collins drummer = excellent.

Phil Collins pop star = terrible & waste of talent.

That just about sums it up for me (although he would probably argue that the number of records he's sold is  not a waste of talent).
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 08:22
I still like Phil for all the good stuff he did.  No particular interest in the pop stuff.  I got a cheap used copy of Face Value but that is about as far as I am willing to go.  If you want to dig deeper into Phil go to early Brand X.  Also Marscape.  It's one of those rare gems that pretty much anyone would that hangs out at this site would enjoy.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 09:57
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I still like Phil for all the good stuff he did.  No particular interest in the pop stuff.  I got a cheap used copy of Face Value but that is about as far as I am willing to go.  If you want to dig deeper into Phil go to early Brand X.  Also Marscape.  It's one of those rare gems that pretty much anyone would that hangs out at this site would enjoy.
I picked up a used copy of Brand x live in LA 1978 ...nice stuff.
It's a shame he's not doing any fusion drumming these days as there are probably many guitarists and bass players that would love to do a fusion set with him on drums.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 03:31
Mr Collins is a tremendous talent. A superb drummer - it's his phrasing that works for me and possibly the underlying reason why the CAS line up of Genesis may not have been so well received. A fine singer and his interviews on the box set DVDs show him to be a decent guy. His recollection of his letter from Roger Waters is quite priceless.

His career included pursuing soul oriented pop music which was wildly successful. His success reflected on Genesis - but only so far. Being a singing star made people identify him but not the rest of the band. It was his soul influences that resuscitated Genesis and made them into a hard edged stream lined band. They continued and avoided the dinosaur label that the world of pop insists upon anyone they think. 

Now a lot of people don't like Phil. Resentment of success perhaps? Over exposure in the media, possibly. Hardly his fault. Phil Collins pursued jazz, prog rock and soul music. The media are only interested in him as a pop singer. I recall his interview at an award show. Clearly celebratory i.e. slightly pissed.. he was about to mention that he was amazed a drummer from England from [interviewer interrupted him from nentioning the word "Genesis" on prime time TV (it was the a.m. when I saw it.

There is a lot of anti-Phil sentiment and I think he gets a rough ride -  but does not deserve it. He entertained, shared his considerable musical abilities and we are all the better for it.

If Phil Collins works with Adele, lucky Adele, lucky Phil, she has a quality voice and they should bring forth good music. One does not have to like it but that is NOT the same as something being awful. As all should know on this site where being fair, open minded and good taste for musical adventure prevail.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 00:11
Go Phil!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 09:14
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Mr Collins is a tremendous talent. A superb drummer - it's his phrasing that works for me and possibly the underlying reason why the CAS line up of Genesis may not have been so well received. A fine singer and his interviews on the box set DVDs show him to be a decent guy. His recollection of his letter from Roger Waters is quite priceless.

His career included pursuing soul oriented pop music which was wildly successful. His success reflected on Genesis - but only so far. Being a singing star made people identify him but not the rest of the band. It was his soul influences that resuscitated Genesis and made them into a hard edged stream lined band. They continued and avoided the dinosaur label that the world of pop insists upon anyone they think. 

Now a lot of people don't like Phil. Resentment of success perhaps? Over exposure in the media, possibly. Hardly his fault. Phil Collins pursued jazz, prog rock and soul music. The media are only interested in him as a pop singer. I recall his interview at an award show. Clearly celebratory i.e. slightly pissed.. he was about to mention that he was amazed a drummer from England from [interviewer interrupted him from nentioning the word "Genesis" on prime time TV (it was the a.m. when I saw it.

There is a lot of anti-Phil sentiment and I think he gets a rough ride -  but does not deserve it. He entertained, shared his considerable musical abilities and we are all the better for it.

If Phil Collins works with Adele, lucky Adele, lucky Phil, she has a quality voice and they should bring forth good music. One does not have to like it but that is NOT the same as something being awful. As all should know on this site where being fair, open minded and good taste for musical adventure prevail.

This comment resonates with me the most.  IMO when a person frames a shrill rant about Collins/Genesis the sell out(s), it says more about them than the artist.  If exploration is valid and even desirable, why should exploration into pop be invalid.  Now I find most of pop Genesis and Collins sort of dated and not to my taste, but that doesn't mean they betrayed anybody by choosing to make those records.  
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 09:21
I love Phil Collins. He has a few good solo songs and he was an important part of one of my favorite prog bands. Also, I actually think two of the 4 best Genesis albums have Phil Collins singing (ATotT and AttwT)  

Edited by The T - February 19 2014 at 09:46
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 09:27
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Go Phil!
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 09:38
Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

In 2014, Phil Collins revealed that he was collaborating on new material with Adele. Dead

I love Adele.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 09:46
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I love Adele.

Agreed. I also think it's amazing to have him back with such a credible artist today. 
Nowadays he always seems to be a broken man - it is unfortunate how things turned out for him and how silly, hateful opinions can really hurt a man. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 09:47

She's talented but I can't stand her songs. They got so overplayed everywhere that now they make me sick. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>