Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come Fans Here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come Fans Here?
    Posted: February 16 2014 at 10:59
I'm a huge fan of 2 of Arthur Brown's Kingdom,that being Galactic Zoo Dossier & Journey. I just can't get into the self titled Kingdom Come though. Is this prog or not? I'm not sure how to catagorize Kingdom Come? Space rock? Weird rock? Just wondering if anyone else here enjoys these albums as well.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 11:16
Oh yeah! Big fan over here. I love that band and Arthur himself is one of the best vocalists I ever heard.

I agree the self titled album is not as good as the other two but I still like it very much. About the genre psychedelic is their main direction but of course they are a bit more than that, a lot of avant-garde and jazz is thrown in.

If you're already a fan of their weird stuff I can suggest going for the album Strangelands which includes a different line up (some members of The Arthur Brown Band appear here) but the music is very similar to Kingdom Come, it was released in the 80's but recorded in the 70's.
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 11:32
What a beautiful topic! I am a fan too and here I would like to suggest an album that definitely already know. The visionary keyboardist of the Kingdom Come, Victor Peraino, after leaving come back in USA and release in only 100 copies his personal album: Victor Peraino's Kingdom Come - 1975 - No Man's Land
A visionary journey through experimentation and many eclectic / Space Rock  sounds.

I suggest you to listen to it  

Per Fortuna C’č Sempre Qualcuno Che Pianta Le Querce Senza Preoccuparsi Di Vivere Troppo A Lungo Per Raccogliere Le Ghiande
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 11:49
Sounds great Marco, I didn't know he had an album, I love his work on Journey. I'll try and look for this one.
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 11:54
Hey Thanks guys for the suggestions on Strangelands and No Man's Land i will certainly check them out!

Edited by Kentucky_Hawkwindage - February 16 2014 at 12:07
poeghost View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 18:48
Yes, I'm a fan of Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come. I can't even say which of their 3 albums I like best because I think they're all great! They are different from each other. I'm also a fan of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

I don't recommend "Strangelands". It has some good parts, but most of it is a mess of noise in my opinion. A couple of the good parts appear on "Galactic Zoo Dossier".

I think Arthur Brown is a great and underrated singer/songwriter. I recommend his "Tantric Lover" album. It might not be as wild as his Crazy World and Kingdom Come material, but it really showcases his wonderful voice.

Will have to check out that Victor Peraino album!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 21:30
Arthur Brown's one of the most creative and innovative characters I've yet come across. Love those three Kingdom Come albums, hard to pick a favorite.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 00:29
Hell yeah !!!! I only have the S/T (with the star and moon cover) and 'Journey'. *Very* special albums to me. Still looking out for 'Galactic Zoo Dossier'. Pure Prog madness
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 01:23
Originally posted by poeghost poeghost wrote:

I don't recommend "Strangelands". It has some good parts, but most of it is a mess of noise in my opinion. A couple of the good parts appear on "Galactic Zoo Dossier".

This album is divided in two (only on the CD edition), the first part is The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown and the second part is a different band called Rustic Hinge which were connected to Arthur's band and to High Tide as well. When you say mess and noise (which is maybe how my father would describe the music) I think and hope you mean the second part of the album which is definitely much more experimental and avant-garde, sounds like influenced by Captain Beefheart. The first part is no more weird than those weird parts on Galactic Zoo, personally I think it's really good, but mess and noise it is definitely not.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 01:34
Love this band, especially Journey and Galactic Zoo.

Oh and btw this has got to be the first time I have had to move a thread back into the prog part of the forum
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 01:35
Originally posted by Utnapishtim Utnapishtim wrote:

What a beautiful topic! I am a fan too and here I would like to suggest an album that definitely already know. The visionary keyboardist of the Kingdom Come, Victor Peraino, after leaving come back in USA and release in only 100 copies his personal album: Victor Peraino's Kingdom Come - 1975 - No Man's Land
A visionary journey through experimentation and many eclectic / Space Rock  sounds.
I suggest you to listen to it  

^ Another great, bonkers album .....and more mellotron for us nutters to enjoy !!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 11:07
Hi,

I used to have the Kingdom Come album, and I do  not remember it well, and would have to listen to it again. It was different, and at the time, I might not have appreciated it as much, which was weird, because I did just fine with Edgar Broughton Band, which is similar in many ways, although I find the EBB much more original and with it, than what appeared to be rather strange stuff that Arthur was doing. I kinda look at him as the early incarnation of Nik Turner!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
poeghost View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 19:06
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by poeghost poeghost wrote:

This album is divided in two (only on the CD edition), the first part is The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown and the second part is a different band called Rustic Hinge which were connected to Arthur's band and to High Tide as well. When you say mess and noise (which is maybe how my father would describe the music) I think and hope you mean the second part of the album which is definitely much more experimental and avant-garde, sounds like influenced by Captain Beefheart. The first part is no more weird than those weird parts on Galactic Zoo, personally I think it's really good, but mess and noise it is definitely not.

I have the LP record. So I don’t know anything about the Rustic Hinge parts. Yes, I think side 1 of Strangelands is better than side 2. The part (I think it’s called Hold On Cosmos) where Arthur sounds like he’s in a cave on another planet is so long and boring, is the worst part of the record. The weirdness factor isn’t the problem for me. It’s that it feels underdeveloped, incoherent and yes, sometimes noisy. (There’s some noise on Galactic and Kingdom Come that I don’t like either, but the music is so much better on those and outweighs the noise.) I guess people will just have to listen to it and find out for themselves about this album.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 01:20
I only have the third album, Journey, sadly. Still, it's a blast. I really need to get the two albums before that. I like the "Brains" songs they did on the first album. "We want your brains to pay for further education..." LOL

One of the most, if not the most, underrated groups of the 1970s.  IIRC, they toured with Hawkwind a couple of times and the music Hawkwind made in Hall Of The Mountain Grill and Warrior On The Edge Of Time sounds like it was inspired by the Journey album.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - February 18 2014 at 01:21
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 01:48
I'd like to remember also the Arthur Brown's performance with his flaming head in FIRE. Very impressive how every artist get out unbelievable things by hat... God knows how was hot upon his head!
Per Fortuna C’č Sempre Qualcuno Che Pianta Le Querce Senza Preoccuparsi Di Vivere Troppo A Lungo Per Raccogliere Le Ghiande
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 02:03
Arthur's output has scaled the peaks of giddy brilliance and at other times plumbed those depths where the bottom of the barrel would have represented the ceiling.

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown (S/t debut) - one of my favorite albums of all time
Strangelands - hippies jamming while stoned off their tits: even a pot noodle is more appetizing
Jam - see Strangelands
Dance with Arthur Brown/Chisholm in My Bosom - mostly pedestrian rock albeit with a very talented band who became a sizable portion of Ian Dury's Blockheads. Both are worth checking out but neither are remotely progressive
Tantric Lover 1 - New Age healing s.h.i.t.e.
Vampire Suite - brilliant, a real return to form where the songwriting for once matches the miraculous Brown tonsils. Buy this today.
Order From Chaos (Live) - good fun but the band employed are not up to the Crazy World material where the crucial organ sound is a pathetic digital jessie who can't fill her bra
Galactic Zoo Dossier - excellent in the main albeit sullied by a few weird for weird's sake moments. One of the most truly bizarre concept albums ever made
Kingdom Come - very good but seems to lurch violently between being irretrievably out there and parodied borderline kitsch
Journey - very strong material but let down by the Bentley Rhythm Ace drum machine (a highly collectible beastie now but it just sounds irritating after 40 minutes)
Speak No Tech - if dung was music this would be the Berlin Philharmonic. Wretched 80's stringy digital cheese
Requiem - Much, much better than Speak No Tech but still a turd, albeit a floating one. The best songs are ruined by the production and textures employed. The medium destroys the message etc

Also check out Vincent Crane & Arthur Brown's collaboration on Faster Than the Speed of Light (excellent orchestral arrangements of some very ambitious music)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 02:29
^Nice breakdown Ian, although I don't entirely agree with everything you said. For some inexplicable reason I've always loved the drum machine on Journey. Name any other album where it features, and I'll happily scorn it with the fury of a thousand mothers. On Journey though it works wonders for me and gives to the proceedings a dangerous yet kitschy feel.

Oh and talking of collaborative efforts then what about the stuff he did with Klaus Schulze, Michael Shrieve and Vincent Crane in 79 - back when Schulze didn't want to be Schulze and released this baby called Time Actor under the pseudonym of Richard Wahnfried

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 18 2014 at 02:50
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 03:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Nice breakdown Ian, although I don't entirely agree with everything you said. For some inexplicable reason I've always loved the drum machine on Journey. Name any other album where it features, and I'll happily scorn it with the fury of a thousand mothers. On Journey though it works wonders for me and gives to the proceedings a dangerous yet kitschy feel.

Right on! Clap
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 03:41

For some inexplicable reason I've always loved the drum machine on Journey. Name any other album where it features, and I'll happily scorn it with the fury of a thousand mothers. On Journey though it works wonders for me and gives to the proceedings a dangerous yet kitschy feel.

Fair comment as I still like the album despite that little niggle. I knew a guy who once owned an original Bentley Rhythm Ace who claims he sold it to some gear fetishist in the EDM community for several hundred (British) pounds.Shocked
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 08:27
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

For some inexplicable reason I've always loved the drum machine on Journey. Name any other album where it features, and I'll happily scorn it with the fury of a thousand mothers. On Journey though it works wonders for me and gives to the proceedings a dangerous yet kitschy feel.

Fair comment as I still like the album despite that little niggle. I knew a guy who once owned an original Bentley Rhythm Ace who claims he sold it to some gear fetishist in the EDM community for several hundred (British) pounds.Shocked

WTFShockedLOL Just goes to show that we'd better hang on to all those old school analogue contraptions, because one day some brainiac'll pop by and throw vast quantities of cash your way, because he want your electronic cod-piece, woolen Les Paul guitar or that old player piano Lucky Luke thang you've got lying somewhere in your shed.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>