Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come Fans Here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 08:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Nice breakdown Ian, although I don't entirely agree with everything you said. For some inexplicable reason I've always loved the drum machine on Journey. Name any other album where it features, and I'll happily scorn it with the fury of a thousand mothers. On Journey though it works wonders for me and gives to the proceedings a dangerous yet kitschy feel.

Oh and talking of collaborative efforts then what about the stuff he did with Klaus Schulze, Michael Shrieve and Vincent Crane in 79 - back when Schulze didn't want to be Schulze and released this baby called Time Actor under the pseudonym of Richard Wahnfried
I just got Time Actor in the mail yesterday!  I've heard the first half and it's weirdly cool.

I also just got Strangelands yesterday too, though I'll be listening to that later today.

While I'm here, I'd also like to voice my "yay" for Arthur Brown's early 80s synth albums "Speak No Tech" and "Requiem", which are now available together as a 2 disc set.  Once again Arthur was on the cutting edge of new technology and seems to have had fun experimenting on these, while creating some groovy tunes as well.

Edited by HolyMoly - February 18 2014 at 08:34
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 08:37
^ScoreCool
I've had the first two Wahnfried albums for a while now - just never gotten around to giving them reviews. They sure need some love on PA. Time Actor is currently below 3Cry Not that I pay that much attention to the ratings, but they do reflect what most people think of the given album - especially when so few have rated it.

That 2 disc set sounds delicious. I'll be off to plan my next balloon heist then... 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 08:44
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Arthur's output has scaled the peaks of giddy brilliance and at other times plumbed those depths where the bottom of the barrel would have represented the ceiling.

I like his stuff with Klaus Schulze which is free form and crazy, but not "rock" music per se. I think it is in "Dig It" or "Dune", but have to look at it. It's actually very good, but not anything like his previous incarnation, and in many ways it was a pre-cursor to the much later thing Klaus did with Lisa.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12