Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTales From Topographic Oceans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2014 at 15:47
Yes in general hasn't held up well over the years for me.  I'm more of an old Genesis guy.  But Tales is a nice album.  I don't cringe whenever it comes up in my rotation. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2014 at 13:56
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I've been saying all this for 30 years ... to the point where I just call the whole thing a symphony, which of course at least one person thinks is an insult to the word, and I don't believe it is. He just doesn't believe a symphony can be done electrically and created by our own generation! That is my opinion by the way ...
What rot. What absolute piffle. What utter tosh. If there was ever a pile of cods that were ever in need of a walloping, this is it. I for one fully believe that a symphony can be done electrically and created by our own generation! It's simply that no one has actually done it yet, not even Philip Glass, who is no stranger to contemporary music and modern "electrical" instrumentation and just about qualifies as being of "our own generation". He who has so far written 10 fully fledged symphonies (and 13 concerti) - but alas none of them "done electrically" and none of them in the genre of progressive rawk.

So whoever this "one person" is, it ain't me sunshine.

I just do not see that Tales From Topographic Oceans (or any other multi-part progressive rock album that I am aware of) qualifies as a symphony. You can call it symphonic rock or symphony-like if that appeases your delicate sensibilities but a symphony it is not. A symphony is a form, just as a rhapsody is a form and a concerto is a form (and before anyone climbs aboard some high faluting hobby-horse, Bohemian Rhapsody is neither a rhapsody nor a mini-opera, it is however, a sort-of cantata in three movements) - if the music does not fit the format then it cannot be called such, and Tales does not fit the format of a symphony just as you cannot call Sgt Peppers an opera or In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida a polka. You can call a teaspoon a charabanc if you like but you won't be able to load it up with luggage and drive it down to the beach for a summer vacation, it will however still be a mighty fine utensil for stirring tea and other sweetened beverages.

Pedantry this may be, but at least it's consistent and accurate pedantry.

Tales from Topographic Oceans is a marvellous album, my second favourite Yes album in fact (beaten only by the magnificent Relayer) and far better than the car-crash that is CTTE. It does incorporate some wondrous influences from the classical music world, including some lovely pastoral playing by Mr Wakeman but sadly being influenced by some feeling of a symphonic style is not enough. Four separate songs, however long they may be, doth not a symphony make.
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

but I think that folks of our generation are far better composers of music and "experience" than a lot of complete musical scenes in the history of music. I would almost say that it even rivals the romantic scene in the late 1700's and early 1800's ... !!!
possibly. Few (if any) have ever heard the entire catalogue of late 18th and early 19th century music to make a valid comparison since much of it is now lost, though I believe the actual romantic era is later than you state here and that time frame refers to the late classical era, but I may be wrong on that... 

Ermm ... LOL

..anyway. Music is not a competitive sport so you can play better/worse games if you like, I care not to.

Fantastic post Dean, as always.  If posting on forums was a competitive sport, you'd win every time WinkLOL

I will say though, that an uninitiated person stumbling on our humble forum, might be forgiven for thinking that progressive rock, at least, is a competitive sport WinkErmm
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 23:38
Listening to this now for the first time... been working my way through all of Yes' albums, also for the first time, in chronological order. Tips on how to appreciate this one more? Fragile and Close are so outrageously brilliant that just the act of hearing them is like having electricity constantly running through your veins... almost too intense an experience. But on this one Yes seem to have basically lost the plot. What's going on here? There are threads of tight, focused work throughout these tracks, but overall, it's too loose and chaotic. If a nod to Eastern philosophy/music and psychedelia is the point, Moody Blues did it about 1000 times better on Chord.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 23:46
^ I never liked Fragile that much (what a sloppy job they did on that one). I always looked at Tales as a double-length sibling to CTTE. Both are tripped out (I mean, f$%ked-up); both have 18+ minute-long things; both have compositions that flow nicely (i.e., they don't sound patchy); both have grandiose chanting moments; and both are more experimental compared to Fragile.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 10 2014 at 17:37
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 23:46
I don't think much of Tales, but I'm not about to say it's 'terrible' that adjective belongs to music I despise. Wink
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 23:50
OK, onto the last track of Tales, this one is the best by far... at least on first listen. I'm going to have to try the whole thing again from the beginning while on a mind-altering substance next time, I think.
uvtraveler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 16:33
It's interesting to see the wide variety of opinions here.   For me, it very hard to compare TFTO to CTTE  and especially Thick As A Brick (which only resembles TFTO in surface-level track length).

If we're talking about just what I like...I think Close to the Edge is one of my favorite recordings of all time, easily.  I like Tales, but it's style and approach is less what I want out of Yes.  Mahavishnu Orchestra maybe, but not 1970s Yes. 

So, really it's hard to "rate" them without it really just being a commentary on what style of prog writing you prefer. So, in that context, I think Yes shines most in the 7-10 minute range of song.  It gives enough time for the songs to develop, but not too long where they seem to lose their inspiration (IMO).  The song Close to the Edge -- although 18 minutes or whatever, is really a few pieces put together (as Thick As A Brick is however many songs put together in one track)...This works well for ELP's Tarkus and Rush's Hemispheres as well.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 17:27
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

It's an awful lot less terrible than Close To The Edge

are ya mad, man?!?!?!?! Shocked Cry
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 17:30
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Interestingly enough, he is not the only one. I believe Dean shared the same feeling in one of his posts about a month ago.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 10 2014 at 17:30
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 20:20
Maybe they should have used Pink Floyd's title "The Division Bell" on this one
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 04:13
The problem with tales for me is that the first song is really rather good and almost justifies it's length, but the others feel too simplistic and plodding to warrant their length. It feels like they said 'lets have four really huge songs' and then tried to stretch out the music to fit. It's not a bad album, the first track is good and the last is ok, and that is an hour I suppose! I just find it not nearly as engaging as most of Yes's other 70s albums.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 06:31
I love TFTTO and I ignore the haters who have no taste in REAL music.

Heres my blurry old look on the tube of this classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaetdPgvz2k

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - July 11 2014 at 06:31
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 07:52
Originally posted by Stereolab Stereolab wrote:

OK, onto the last track of Tales, this one is the best by far... at least on first listen. I'm going to have to try the whole thing again from the beginning while on a mind-altering substance next time, I think.
You can not form a proper opinion of a work such as Tales in only listen, nor in two nor in three. You will certainly get a first impression but it's an album which necessarily requires the listener to give it time. And it is an album with which indeed certain substances can make wonders, they should have released it with a bag of mushrooms included in the inner sleeve LOL
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 07:52
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

You can not form a proper opinion of a work such as Tales in one listen, nor in two nor in three. You will certainly get a first impression but it's an album which necessarily requires the listener to give it time. And it is an album with which indeed certain substances can make wonders, they should have released it with a bag of mushrooms included in the inner sleeve LOL
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 08:04

You can not form a proper opinion of a work such as Tales in one listen, nor in two nor in three. You will certainly get a first impression but it's an album which necessarily requires the listener to give it time. And it is an album with which indeed certain substances can make wonders, they should have released it with a bag of mushrooms included in the inner sleeve LOL

Anything that alters your own mind without your prior consent has to result in your critical faculties being compromised don't ya think? I've listened to Charles Manson on amyl nitrate and he sounds entirely plausible as a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:16
Amyl nitrate has the ability to open many things, but I don't think the mind is one of them Tongue
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Amyl nitrate has the ability to open many things, but I don't think the mind is one of them Tongue

OK some imbibed muscle relaxants have precisely zero ability to influence the north end of a spinal column but  such are not exclusively gay considerations (heterosexual anal penetration being one contingency- can't believe I typed that as I ain't ever done same)
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:41
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Anything that alters your own mind without your prior consent has to result in your critical faculties being compromised don't ya think? 
I think I never got any such substances into my body without my prior consent but in any case I'm not sure if prior consent makes any big difference on their effects. I will never recommend that, it was a joke, but in any case critical faculties are not the only cognitive functions relevant to the experience of listening to music.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 09:57
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Interestingly enough, he is not the only one. I believe Dean shared the same feeling in one of his posts about a month ago.

wow.... shameful. i do remember one review i read like probably several months ago from someone who gave it just ONE STAR, saying that the sound quality was DULL among others that hit me alot, at least the parts i remember.
Progrockdude
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2014 at 11:57

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

wow.... shameful. i do remember one review i read like probably several months ago from someone who gave it just ONE STAR, saying that the sound quality was DULL among others that hit me alot, at least the parts i remember.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 11 2014 at 11:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>