Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEarliest ProtoProg Beatles Song?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Earliest ProtoProg Beatles Song?
    Posted: February 23 2014 at 22:05
"And Your Bird Can Sing" (1966) has guitar work which I think is the proggiest sounding
music I've heard on such an early album.  

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 22:33
Tomorrow Never Knows. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 00:16
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Tomorrow Never Knows. 
^ Without me going any further into this thread, TNK is a masterpiece of what was to become 'Progressive Rock'. I really don't think the guys ever topped this one.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 07:03
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Tomorrow Never Knows. 
Yes, it has to be TNK as it's on the same album as "And Your Bird Can Sing".
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 07:05
Strawbery Fields Forever / Penny Lane the single.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 07:29
Earliest? 

To quote from their wiki page:
"In mid-October 1965, the Beatles entered the recording studio; for the first time in making an album, they had an extended period without other major commitments.Released in December, Rubber Soul has been hailed by critics as a major step forward in the maturity and complexity of the band's music.Their thematic reach was beginning to expand as they embraced deeper aspects of romance and philosophy.Biographers Peter Brown and Steven Gaines attribute the new musical direction to "the Beatles' now habitual use of marijuana", an assertion confirmed by the band—Lennon referred to it as "the pot album", and Starr said, "Grass was really influential in a lot of our changes, especially with the writers. And because they were writing different material, we were playing differently."  After Help!'s foray into the world of classical music with flutes and strings, Harrison's introduction of a sitar on "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" marked a further progression outside the traditional boundaries of popular music. As their lyrics grew more artful, fans began to study them for deeper meaning. "

"We Can Work It Out" (also recorded in October 1965) keeps changing tempo and has a waltz in the middle.

So in October '65 they were heading in progesque direction (increased complexity, artful lyrics, expanding themes, sitar, and pot)
"Tomorrow Never Knows" wasn't recorded until six months later.

Edited by Stool Man - February 24 2014 at 07:37
rotten hound of the burnie crew
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 08:59
Hm, the Beatles may have been proto-prog - but of which Genre? They certainly were not proto-symphonic prog - The reason - I think that Genesis/Yes/ELP were far more influenced by classical music - thus proto-symphonic prog really couldn't happen because the classical music that it's mainly derived from was classical music - thus I think that proto-prog probably led to other genres!
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 09:30
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Hm, the Beatles may have been proto-prog - but of which Genre? They certainly were not proto-symphonic prog - The reason - I think that Genesis/Yes/ELP were far more influenced by classical music - thus proto-symphonic prog really couldn't happen because the classical music that it's mainly derived from was classical music - thus I think that proto-prog probably led to other genres!

If we think that way we can't even call Genesis/Yes/ELP "symphonic" given their musical distance from a polyphonic classical musica piece...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 11:22
^ In ex-Yugoslavia, we were called all of them 'sympho-rock' because of that Mellotron sound. We knew for 'progressive rock' term but it was used rarely for the big four. It was like that untill Discipline - what we could not called 'sympho-rock' at all, lol.

Edited by Svetonio - February 24 2014 at 12:12
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 21:42
"She Loves You", which The Beatles released in German as "Sie Liebt Dich", thus creating Krautrock. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 00:15
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.800000190734863px; line-height: 17px;">"And Your Bird Can Sing" (1966) has guitar work which I think is the proggiest sounding</span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.800000190734863px; line-height: 17px;">music I've heard on such an early album.  </span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.800000190734863px; line-height: 17px;"></span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.800000190734863px; line-height: 17px;"></span>

I love that song, Brainstormer
And to me also the first metal track was by The Beatles with Helter Skelter another
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 00:49
i don't see how the Beatles were proto prog, maybe except for A Day in the Life
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 00:57
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Smartpatrol
Please define proto prog for me? I was under the impression that it meant one of the first and foremost ahead of others in music terms. The Beatles were way beyond anyone else I believe, in terms both rock and experimental music i.e. adding the sitar, French horns etc.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 01:13
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Smartpatrol
Please define proto prog for me? I was under the impression that it meant one of the first and foremost ahead of others in music terms. The Beatles were way beyond anyone else I believe, in terms both rock and experimental music i.e. adding the sitar, French horns etc.

As Knobby explained to us earlier in this sub-forum, Proto Prog was a term used by British vinyls dealers in their ancient catalogues for the specific sound of late 60s - early 70s rock bands who were created that Hammond organ driven sound; Mellotron was also gratefulness but Hammond organ sound was a general rule. If a music is to containing synths, it's not proto prog. Early Deep Purple is maybe the best example of proto prog sound Smile

Edited by Svetonio - February 25 2014 at 01:14
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 01:35
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Smartpatrol

As Knobby explained to us earlier in this sub-forum, Proto Prog was a term used by British vinyls dealers in their ancient catalogues for the specific sound of late 60s - early 70s rock bands who were created that Hammond organ driven sound; Mellotron was also gratefulness but Hammond organ sound was a general rule. If a music is to containing synths, it's not proto prog. Early Deep Purple is maybe the best example of proto prog sound Smile

Thank you very much for the feedback Sventonio,

I have not seen nor was I aware of any sub forum topic posts in regards to this on this site, however to me as a Latin speaking person who equally studied ancient Greek, this term makes no sense at all. Proto means the beginning, when the change began, this by no means is related to mellotron, novatron etc.
I do believe proto prog might have a bit of jazz and psychedelic influences unlike Italian prog which tends to be more symphonic (orchestration)   
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 02:35

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Smartpatrol

(...) this term makes no sense at all. (...) 

Of course, because that term does not mean anything by itself. However, the term was used by dealers for reasons to mark that sound on their lists. As you know, in that ancient time, you're receiving a mail with a dealer's list and then you choose LP, and orderrng. In these lists were only the names of the bands & albums, style, a record company name & price.

Edited by Svetonio - March 04 2014 at 00:32
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 11:08
I picked up the term from literary history when defining the Proto-Surrealists of late
19th Century France.  I just moved it over to music.  It can be used, and is used
academically, to define any early instance of a trend in all the arts.
--
Robert Pearson

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 11:11
Talking about proto prog there is a proto prog thread here;....your favorite proto prog album and the Beatles were mentioned several times on the thread.

I  never really thought of the Beatles as doing any 'proto prog', since it did refer to a specific type of style and sound as many have already mentioned,  but they certainly used psychedelic rock with many new approaches to recording and sound effects as in orchestration , etc. But then Tomorrow never Knows, Strawberry Fields , and I Am The Walrus could certainly fit into one's definition of proto prog.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 11:17

Smartpatrol

Perfectly said for me, Sonia.

Edited by Horizons - February 26 2014 at 11:17
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 12:31
I think because it's the Beatles, some don't want to give them much credit for being anything else but teenybopper
icons.  It's interesting to contrast the solo careers of Lennon and McCartney.  Dream #9 by Lennon seems to be
his most prog song.   I'm not saying it's his most "avant garde" song.  
--
Robert Pearson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>