Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jon Anderson performs with TransAtlantic
    Posted: February 23 2014 at 22:55
My!  Could this portend the future? 

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2014 at 23:27
Now i'm not a fan of Transatlantic but this just bring a big smile to my face.

I absolutely love how Neil, an artist that has devoted his life to music, has the chance to perform prolly one of his favorite songs of all time with his hero. The quality of that video isn't amazing but even i can tell he is grinning and just in his head so much. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 00:36
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Now i'm not a fan of Transatlantic but this just bring a big smile to my face.

I absolutely love how Neil, an artist that has devoted his life to music, has the chance to perform prolly one of his favorite songs of all time with his hero. The quality of that video isn't amazing but even i can tell he is grinning and just in his head so much. 

Exactly!  This just shows how much upside Jon Anderson has vs. the ragged remnants of Yes.  If he wanted, he could tour at a relaxed pace, with the side-men of his choice, and pack the stadiums of the world.  

Touring "Tales" would be a masterstroke!  After 40 years, it has become a fan favorite.  We can only wish....
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 04:23
Great stuff, thanks Charles.

Come on, let's bring on the world tour!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 12:44
This makes for great breakfast listening Approve They sound so bloody tight too.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 13:13
That would be cool.......I can already see the wheels spinning in Morse's head....."Evening With Transatlantic and Jon Anderson"

Hopefully Portnoy kept his mouth shut and just played....
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 16:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

That would be cool.......I can already see the wheels spinning in Morse's head....."Evening With Transatlantic and Jon Anderson"

Hopefully Portnoy kept his mouth shut and just played....

LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 19:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Great stuff, thanks Charles.

Come on, let's bring on the world tour!

My pleasure, Steve!  Here's some more, this is EXCELLENT!  

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 02:21

Evening With Transatlantic and Jon Anderson"

Ooh! I just wet'em!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 03:03
^^ I find it peculiar but I cannot help loving this combination. Anderson's voice sounds a bit flaky but hey he is 70. Transatlantic are having a blast. I see JA is still doing his solo shows and will be in Aspen again soon.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:28
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^^ I find it peculiar but I cannot help loving this combination. Anderson's voice sounds a bit flaky but hey he is 70. Transatlantic are having a blast. I see JA is still doing his solo shows and will be in Aspen again soon.

By all means, go to the solo show, it is really great!  Jon's sense of humor, history and perspective are refreshing. 

Here's another clip of Jon with Transatlantic, this one is getting rave reviews:

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 10:32
Hi,
As much as it is impossible to not give some credit to the other 4 players in YES that were a part of this piece of music, one of the main reasons why I do not bother with YES, since Relayer, is simply because what I consider one of the great masterpieces in rock music, is grossly ignored, by people that were in it for the fame and fortune, and relegate ALL rock music to the crap pile, including "progressive".

I think I might have to give some Transatlantic a listen now. And a bit more respect for MP!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 11:44
Roine Stolt has called The Revealing Science of God one of his top 5 all-time songs, so I would bet money that he is the one who pushed hard for that song. 
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2014 at 14:42
I may be in the minority, but I quite enjoy the bonus cover material on both The Whirlwind and especially Kaleidoscope, these videos are pretty cool.

Its another avenue for which to generate some income for Neal Morse and the boyz, tour with Jon Anderson and play Yes and maybe other stuff.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 23:35

I may be in the minority, but I quite enjoy the bonus cover material on both The Whirlwind and especially Kaleidoscope, these videos are pretty cool.

Its another avenue for which to generate some income for Neal Morse and the boyz, tour with Jon Anderson and play Yes and maybe other stuff.

Thanks!  I could really dig that, maybe some more "Tales" (if not the entire work), some "Olias" etc.  Jon could tour & work at his own pace, I think it would be excellent!  

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 11:46
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Thanks!  I could really dig that, maybe some more "Tales" (if not the entire work), some "Olias" etc.  Jon could tour & work at his own pace, I think it would be excellent!  

The only concern would be the other folks commitments to their own bands, but Jon presents a chance for validating their work a lot more, than just touring night clubs with 150 people in it, twice a week, with music that is nice, but nowhere near the grand-ness that Jon created a lot of his work around. Perhaps that is exactly what Transatlantic needs ... someone with a vision and ability to help bring the band forward.

But it is sad to see this band doing well, unless it is selling well in the CD departments. And I do hope that they bring out a DVD with Jon Anderson, and specially with the TFTO material. That would make YES, these days, look like just another hit song band, with not enough talent!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 20:49
This collaboration seems great, but I don't think it will go beyond this one performance (just as when they played "Return of the Giant Hogweed" with Hackett). However, I would be delighted to be proved wrong. Transatlantic need a much better singer (why they haven't given main vocal duties to Daniel Gildenglow is beyond me).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 11:07
TA is a side project for all of them......Just Pete and Roine have enough going on with their respective bands, I don't think they would put more time into TA. Portnoy probably needs the most work out of all of them since he has no regular gig anymore, he relies on Neal. Just like Adrenalin Mob, I see Winery Dogs going the same route for Portnoy....not enough support in that genre of straight up rock music. WD played here in Seattle a few months ago and I did not even know about it, they played some small bar stage where probably 50-75 people showed up and I suppose 50% of them did not even know about the band as they show up every weekend to drink and play darts or something...LOL
Even if it were to happen it would not be some big tour with Jon Anderson, I would think it would be 2-3 shows in NY area just like the Yellow Matter Custard Beatles tribute band Neal does, and without Pete and Roine, why deal with overseas travel for that.

TA will never have Yes or Rush type crowds...or even Dream Theater crowds, but I am fine with that, means I can continue to get front row seats for TA and Neal Morse shows!

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 14:19
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

This collaboration seems great, but I don't think it will go beyond this one performance (just as when they played "Return of the Giant Hogweed" with Hackett). However, I would be delighted to be proved wrong. Transatlantic need a much better singer (why they haven't given main vocal duties to Daniel Gildenglow is beyond me).

The new business model seems to be DVD recordings of staged concerts.  I've been to two DVD concerts for Porcupine Tree, they did a fine job.  Pink Floyd has done this with "The Wall."  

What if this ensemble did a one-off performance of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and recorded it?  I bet it would get a fantastic response!  They could have a huge, Roger Dean-designed set that borrows from the original.   It is the 40 year anniversary.  

They could also bring in guest musicians, choral group, whatever.  It would be brilliant.  Squire, Howe, White would be left standing outside without tickets. Cry

Genesis could do the same with "The Lamb," but they won't.   Thoughts?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 20:35
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The new business model seems to be DVD recordings of staged concerts.  I've been to two DVD concerts for Porcupine Tree, they did a fine job.  Pink Floyd has done this with "The Wall."  
What if this ensemble did a one-off performance of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and recorded it?  I bet it would get a fantastic response!  They could have a huge, Roger Dean-designed set that borrows from the original.   It is the 40 year anniversary.  
They could also bring in guest musicians, choral group, whatever.  It would be brilliant.  Squire, Howe, White would be left standing outside without tickets. Cry
Genesis could do the same with "The Lamb," but they won't.   Thoughts?

Well, that would be great for me, I would certainly buy it. Though I would be more interested in hearing some Transatlantic songs sung by Anderson, that Yes songs with himself on vocals and Transatlantic playing instead of Yes. Or else, perhaps Olias of Sunhillow played this way (which I sadly still don't know, but have read very positive reviews about it and is one of my must get albums). As for Genesis, I wouldn't really be very interested in a Lamb performance.... that's my least favourite from the classic line-up albums. For me the current "Genesis Revisited" tour from Hackett is all I would like to witness... sadly, he hasn't come to Mexico, nor does he seem to have plans to do so
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>