Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 23:30
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

This collaboration seems great, but I don't think it will go beyond this one performance (just as when they played "Return of the Giant Hogweed" with Hackett). However, I would be delighted to be proved wrong. Transatlantic need a much better singer (why they haven't given main vocal duties to Daniel Gildenglow is beyond me).

The new business model seems to be DVD recordings of staged concerts.  I've been to two DVD concerts for Porcupine Tree, they did a fine job.  Pink Floyd has done this with "The Wall."  
What if this ensemble did a one-off performance of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and recorded it?  I bet it would get a fantastic response!  They could have a huge, Roger Dean-designed set that borrows from the original.   It is the 40 year anniversary.  
They could also bring in guest musicians, choral group, whatever.  It would be brilliant.  Squire, Howe, White would be left standing outside without tickets. Cry
Genesis could do the same with "The Lamb," but they won't.   Thoughts?

Well, that would be great for me, I would certainly buy it. Though I would be more interested in hearing some Transatlantic songs sung by Anderson, that Yes songs with himself on vocals and Transatlantic playing instead of Yes. Or else, perhaps Olias of Sunhillow played this way (which I sadly still don't know, but have read very positive reviews about it and is one of my must get albums). As for Genesis, I wouldn't really be very interested in a Lamb performance.... that's my least favourite from the classic line-up albums. For me the current "Genesis Revisited" tour from Hackett is all I would like to witness... sadly, he hasn't come to Mexico, nor does he seem to have plans to do so 

Oh my, you MUST obtain "Olias of Sunhillow!"  I shot this (rather shakey) video of Jon performing one of my favorite songs from the work, "The Flight of the Moorglade."  It is a wonderfully light, airy album with many surprises!

And I understand what you mean about "The Lamb," but the spectacle would be nice to see.  The Canadian group "The Musical Box" does an amazing version, very accurate to the original!  I'm just sorry that more of the famous prog concerts weren't filmed back then....after all, Yes released "Yessongs" and did very well with it!    Nice to chat with you, enjoy! 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 08:28

They could also bring in guest musicians, choral group, whatever. It would be brilliant. Squire, Howe, White would be left standing outside without tickets. Cry

Genesis could do the same with "The Lamb," but they won't. Thoughts?
I am not sure I would want to see the TFTO again, after the original at the Long Beach Arena some 40 years ago or something like it.

I DID see The Wall, and my review here at PA, compares Roger's to the original, which was something that not many could appreciate or get into. It was not a rock concert review at all, and I think that was the main reason why it didn't go over as well ... people did not get the references to VietNam THEN to the references that were there now to IRAQ. It became an obvious attempt to be "with it", and not have a more universal meaning, that could better express the sentiments of the time, the place, and the people around it. It displaced you too much, although for a school paper or college paper, you would barely get a C for it!

I would like to see Jon do TFTO, with a band like this, and possibly guests, if it is ever possible before he passes away from us, or we pass away from him.

The sad part is that it would be a massive undertaking, that would require huge amounts of rehearsal to get the timing and coordination down, but I think that it would be easier today, than it was 40 years ago for most musicians in the progressive mold. For example, a John Myung would probably sleep through all the bass parts and be so prepared for rehearsals that most players wonder where he would be! I seriously do not think it would be a problem, but it is likely that it would be time wise for many folks.

Think of it this way. You can do The Rite of Spring much easier because you have heard it many times, and are familiar with it. 75 years ago, they would look at the Staff and go ... you gotta be kidding me, and many people objected to playing things they did not know, or understand.

"Lamb" won't get done. PG has given up on it, and he's too fat, sassy and rich to have to do a piece about someone in the dumps, that no longer needs to fight for his survival or strength. And Phil says he can't play anymore, either arthritis or something, and that makes it harder for everyone concerned. I honestly do not believe that the rest of the folks in Genesis actually cared or believed in the value and strength of the "Lamb" album to even consider making an effort for it. I keep thinking this might be better as a show on Broadway or London (not fag'y enough in LA for a show!), but the interest will be so limited that it will be sad, rather than valuable and good. Broadway likes revivals of crap musicals anyway, so why would you think you can get a nickel from an audience in New York? London is too hip and upper clas'y to give a damn about something nice, that would have so many sets and costumes and music!

Well, London did get the Snow Goose, so who knows? But that would be far easier to do, than all the costumes and sets that "Lamb" would require. As for the sets in TFTO, I don't think you need any, and having some fruit cake effects is not my idea of a good show, and I would rather the musicians stuck to the music and the love in it, than anything else. I don't see fancy lights in the last Beethoven's 9th or 5th! So, I would rather TFTO did not have anything that takes away from its wonderful feel and music, which is more than enough for me!

Edited by moshkito - May 13 2014 at 08:40
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 21:10

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

This collaboration seems great, but I don't think it will go beyond this one performance (just as when they played "Return of the Giant Hogweed" with Hackett). However, I would be delighted to be proved wrong. Transatlantic need a much better singer (why they haven't given main vocal duties to Daniel Gildenglow is beyond me).

The new business model seems to be DVD recordings of staged concerts.  I've been to two DVD concerts for Porcupine Tree, they did a fine job.  Pink Floyd has done this with "The Wall."  
What if this ensemble did a one-off performance of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and recorded it?  I bet it would get a fantastic response!  They could have a huge, Roger Dean-designed set that borrows from the original.   It is the 40 year anniversary.  
They could also bring in guest musicians, choral group, whatever.  It would be brilliant.  Squire, Howe, White would be left standing outside without tickets. Cry
 Well, that would be great for me, I would certainly buy it. Though I would be more interested in hearing some Transatlantic songs sung by Anderson, that Yes songs with himself on vocals and Transatlantic playing instead of Yes. Or else, perhaps Olias of Sunhillow played this way (which I sadly still don't know, but have read very positive reviews about it and is one of my must get albums). As for Genesis, I wouldn't really be very interested in a Lamb performance.... that's my least favourite from the classic line-up albums. For me the current "Genesis Revisited" tour from Hackett is all I would like to witness... sadly, he hasn't come to Mexico, nor does he seem to have plans to do so 
<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; "><div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">Oh my, you MUST obtain "Olias of Sunhillow!"  I shot this (rather shakey) video of Jon performing one of my favorite songs from the work, "The Flight of the Moorglade."  It is a wonderfully light, airy album with many surprises!<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; "><div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">And I understand what you mean about "The Lamb," but the spectacle would be nice to see.  The Canadian group "The Musical Box" does an amazing version, very accurate to the original!  I'm just sorry that more of the famous prog concerts weren't filmed back then....after all, Yes released "Yessongs" and did very well with it!    Nice to chat with you, enjoy! <div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; "><div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

Well, at least I did get to see The Wall with Roger Waters a few years ago. After that show, I doubt there will be any concert to impress me so much for it's show/efects/theatrics (if you can call them that) in a real long while, and I like the music on The Wall much more than that of The Lamb, so I guess I would feel myself satisfied with that. And then, Wakeman has said he wants to tour "Journey to the Center of the Earth" with a massive show... he even went as far as to say he planned to rival The Wall (I wonder, surely he wouldn't have the audience, nor the amount of shows, to pay for THAT). And he even said he was considering Latin America (actually, I think he already has some shows booked in South America, hopefully he won't forget about Mexico too)... however, that show I would be very interested in seeing (though the one show I would like to see from Wakeman would be King Arthur, my favourite album from him).
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 10:32

Well, at least I did get to see The Wall with Roger Waters a few years ago. After that show, I doubt there will be any concert to impress me so much for it's show/efects/theatrics (if you can call them that) in a real long while, and I like the music on The Wall much more than that of The Lamb, so I guess I would feel myself satisfied with that. And then, Wakeman has said he wants to tour "Journey to the Center of the Earth" with a massive show... he even went as far as to say he planned to rival The Wall (I wonder, surely he wouldn't have the audience, nor the amount of shows, to pay for THAT).

Now that Rick has softened his ridiculous stance on TFTO, I might consider his show, but honestly I won't ever get to see it, because he knows the only way this can break even is if it is done in the "big city" where it has a chance to sell out and make a nickel or two.  I honestly did not like the narration and the stuff that was done before on this, at all, but I do not remember the music much, and will have to give it another listen.

There are a lot of better things out there, a heck of a lot less pompous, that deserve a "show".

I have a concern here, though, and it was very visible in the piece with Transatlantic from TFTO. The people that do the lights do NOT KNOW anything about the music and this needs to be addressed. This only helps make it all just another piece of "pop music", and takes away from its strentgh, touch and gold! I just do not know that some bands, have any ideas or concepts as to what "lighting" is, and how important it can be for your show and your presentation and most "lighting" folks in music, are not good enough to make ANY band look better!

Edited by moshkito - March 05 2014 at 11:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 21:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Well, at least I did get to see The Wall with Roger Waters a few years ago. After that show, I doubt there will be any concert to impress me so much for it's show/efects/theatrics (if you can call them that) in a real long while, and I like the music on The Wall much more than that of The Lamb, so I guess I would feel myself satisfied with that. And then, Wakeman has said he wants to tour "Journey to the Center of the Earth" with a massive show... he even went as far as to say he planned to rival The Wall (I wonder, surely he wouldn't have the audience, nor the amount of shows, to pay for THAT).

Now that Rick has softened his ridiculous stance on TFTO, I might consider his show, but honestly I won't ever get to see it, because he knows the only way this can break even is if it is done in the "big city" where it has a chance to sell out and make a nickel or two.  I honestly did not like the narration and the stuff that was done before on this, at all, but I do not remember the music much, and will have to give it another listen.

There are a lot of better things out there, a heck of a lot less pompous, that deserve a "show".

I have a concern here, though, and it was very visible in the piece with Transatlantic from TFTO. The people that do the lights do NOT KNOW anything about the music and this needs to be addressed. This only helps make it all just another piece of "pop music", and takes away from its strentgh, touch and gold! I just do not know that some bands, have any ideas or concepts as to what "lighting" is, and how important it can be for your show and your presentation and most "lighting" folks in music, are not good enough to make ANY band look better!

Actually, I don't really like the narration either, it makes the flow of the music feel patchy. Though the music itself has some moments I really like a lot. Another problem is that it seems Rick didn't have so much music for an album, and so repeated some of the sections almost exactly at different points of the almbum, which was kind of lame. However, it seems he has expanded the music, so that might have been corrected. And about big cities, I don't know. He's going to South America, that's confirmed, and I understand perfectly there are some very big cities... but I'm not sure how well known he might be there for getting an audience. However, he must know better than me, since he seems to be fond of doing concerts there.

Oh yeah, and about the ridiculous stance Rick has (or had) toward Topographic Oceans, I was thinking about that a little while ago. It might be distasteful for the lovers of that album, but I think Anderson's and Howe's stance for the music written without them is more ridiculous. Mainly because they just refuse to sing/play anything that was not released with them on the band, and Howe particularly seems to dismiss that music just because they are Yes songs and he wasn't part of them (though, to be fair, he seems to have been relaxing that stance a bit over the years). Rick, on the other hand, doesn't dismiss any music Yes wants to play just because he wasn't part of the band when it was released, but he rather prefers not to play the song he doesn't actually like so much, which of course we all are entitled to like or not like some songs, and he isn't an exception. Actually, Rick has gone as far as making a Yes song part of his live repertoire for some time, Starship Trooper is the one, and that's a song he wasn't a part of the band when it was released (I would have thought something like Roundabout would have been a more obvious choice, which I think he actually contributed to the writing, even if he is not credited so because of contractual reasons of the time).
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 03:18
At 6:53, Jon says he is going to form a new band with Jean Luc Ponty!!  

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 14:38

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; "><div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">Oh my, you MUST obtain "Olias of Sunhillow!"  I shot this (rather shakey) video of Jon performing one of my favorite songs from the work, "The Flight of the Moorglade."  It is a wonderfully light, airy album with many surprises!<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; "><div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">And I understand what you mean about "The Lamb," but the spectacle would be nice to see.  The Canadian group "The Musical Box" does an amazing version, very accurate to the original!  I'm just sorry that more of the famous prog concerts weren't filmed back then....after all, Yes released "Yessongs" and did very well with it!    Nice to chat with you, enjoy! <div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; "><div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.2; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

Well, I guess I would need to hear the song in the album context, with better sound quality, and all the instruments he usued orininally in order to apreciate it adequatley, but indeed that album is an important gap in my collection that I should rectify.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2014 at 16:28

Hi,

(Long ... and only if you like theater and film, plz!)

Of all these, the one that can make the stage best, would be "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", because in many ways it ALREADY is a written stage show.

The hard part is "translating" all the material into stage action, so it can be done and not just "imagine" things like most rock bands like to do to you! You're supposed to .... and so on. In theater and film, this does not translate at all! You can not see into the character's mind.

There is a way to get around this and I would love to direct this. Precedent - ETC La Mamma.

About 35 or 40 years ago, I don't remember when, the ETC La Mamma group travelled across the country with a production of "Carmilla" (the vampire story!). The stage was simplicity itself! One incredibly large sofa for 4 or 5 in dark red velvet nothing else! So during the production various things take place ... so they are in a carriage and the horses are running, and the sofa becomes a carriage and the actors are bouncing all over the place and such. Later it becomes a bed. Later it becomes a living room, you get the idea. Now here comes the kicker. The "sets" were all done with FILM and you saw that right over/above/inside the couch/sofa. The back of the sofa was huge and had this opening, and when the carriage was running, you only saw what you would normally see through the window ... trees running by and such.  So when the carriage was moving fast, the actors on the "inside" the carriage for the duration of that piece would be moving around like nuts.

This would help create some sets for "The Lamb's" story (as an example) and this would allow more than one person to do the vocals (if needed depending on the point of view and concept ... you don't need PG all alone!) ... and also add some to others that could be a part of the "story" to help clear it up a bit more, and smooth out the transitions. This part might be the one that some folks would probably criticize the most as it "might" interfere with the story as you are familiar with it in the album! But it smoothes things out on the stage.

The music needs to be live on the stage like any orchestra work with a staging like ballet, opera and so forth.

Using "film" would help this, and it could be done on 3 or 4 sides/parts of the stage to help with the design of the production.

Question is ... would you go see it? The price for one of these, would likely be over $150/$200 dollars a ticket, because of the film, the sets and the band! That is the price, nowadays, for the Met, for example.

In the end, it is all about how well we grow into the classical areas. If many of these musicians become the conductors and the musical directors in many of these, you will see some of these things. If not ... it's over, and Dean's comment that it is all "pop music" is a very strong comment and then some. It would also mean that the audience that would normally want to see this, just like "The Wall" that I bought a ticket for my friend as his Christmas present, because all he knew was Rush, Styx and Dream Theater, and he had no idea whatsoever, what a "show" meant!

None of the "great" pieces, that I can remember have been made into a proper stage show, that would take it away from the rock audience some. And I think that a lot of this is about the audience itself. I might fall here in the area that Dean likes to criticize me for, but in this case, I don't think that "rock" and "pop" audiences, are ready for a full fledged show and story that would make something special for all of us! My only contention is, that if what I say is not true, it would have happened, but the few tries that have been done, for the most part have been so trashed and ignored, that many artists/musicians and everyone else ends up frustrated and burned out. I still see that interview with Melody Maker on the middle pages when PG left Genesis as a really sad interview. He never really said it, but you knew that people didn't get it with "Lamb" and the band was not exactly supporting his point of view and work. And that hurts when you live for your "art" and "creativity" ... it's like your child is deformed and gotta dispatch it to the end of the world and never see him/her again!

Not one of us, anywhere, lives for that!

Art is no different for many of us. But when you reject it, you hurt an internal part of you that believed in something so deep and important ... that everyone is trying to make you feel guilty because of it.

I would love to have a chance to direct "The Lamb". But it would make "The Wall" look like a cheap redo, and crap, because none of the moments in it would ever get wasted or be hidden.

Next, I wanna do "Passion Play" but without Ian Anderson, because he would interfere too much! Same thing. Band, stage, actors, film. AND a ballerina! Because I would create it all from beginning to the end with her! I might even use the swan ballet on that! How perfect!

Edited by moshkito - May 13 2014 at 09:34
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2014 at 17:09
^great post!  I posit that the public would easily pay $150/$200 per ticket, but only if there were a "name" in the production.  

Lady Gaga would be ideal!  She has an incredible sense of stage presence with her costumes, is an excellent keyboardist, and would draw in the hoards of her "little monster" fans!  Also, she's a native New Yorker! 

Now, I don't know if she likes Prog or Genesis, but that is a detail left for another day.  It could be done, profitably.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 10:35

^great post!  I posit that the public would easily pay $150/$200 per ticket, but only if there were a "name" in the production.  

Lady Gaga would be ideal!  She has an incredible sense of stage presence with her costumes, is an excellent keyboardist, and would draw in the hoards of her "little monster" fans!  Also, she's a native New Yorker! 

Now, I don't know if she likes Prog or Genesis, but that is a detail left for another day.  It could be done, profitably.

In NY, I would not be worried about it, anymore than London, Paris or Tokyo. LA would be a 50/50 and make sure you got your money ahead of time!

In those big cities, you probably can sell it without a big name. In fact, I would like to do a version of it off-off Broadway, just to show people that rock music is just as good in theater as it is on film, but you never seen it "live" like you could or shoud. You went to applause the "star". You don't go to see Turandot to see Puccini! You go for the music and the artistry that is brings to! Oh, and at the front of the theater there would be a band playing and Sam Sheppard is on drums with his band throwing ping pong balls every drum break!

Major difference, and this is the part that I hoped that "progressive" audiences would see and learn about. Sadly, as much as I see these days, up to and including posts here, I get this feeling inside that most people are so ingrained with the "star" thing, that I'm not sure they can not appreciate anything else. They came to see the "hits" they know, not anything else! Sadly the 20th century has been about "the star" and not the work itself, and this has a tendency to lower the standards of music to "pop music" and make it way less meaningful than otherwise. I personally think that there are "pop" musicians out there that want to do way better than just a 4 minute song, and many of them in the past 40 to 50 years have succeeded, but the media and the attention has been really difficult. Or you can read the reviews and how many folks discuss the "filler" part of a 20 minute piece! Like it is meaningless and the musicians are stupid?

Seeing TFTO, PP, and TLLDOB get attention and attain the level of love now that it never did then, is incredible vindication for a band/person's work! I still consider it "classical work" by my own generation and I am very proud of them for having done it.

There have been many attempts, even with Pink Floyd and Roland Petit, who got mercilessly boo'd off stage, with a ballet on "Atom Heart Mother", in Paris (I think). The bootleg version that is a "lullaby" is the music used for this I believe, and it is not available and I doubt Roger will ever release it. It may sound "stupid" and "empty", but it is just like "Setting the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", as it just drones on and on, and it seems to sound better with each moment!

Edited by moshkito - March 16 2014 at 10:51
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 12:38

Hi,

Stack!!!! I done it!!!!

For weeks I have been thinking how to stage TFTO, and I finally got it!

It was actually very easy, and there is something that I need to have you watch from the tube or the like. Peter Brook's Mahabharatta. Watch about an hour or so.

So here we go, and I will describe it as detailed as I have "seen" it in my head. I wonder if Jon would appreciate this, but I don't think he is the "artsy" type, like I am,  to go with something like this at all, but I did "see it". FINALLY

Sets would have the use of the "monolithic" style of walls and the like, so that the "people" are smaller next to it. The words would still be sung, some of them "chorus" style (Greek Theater), and some even "spoken". The band still plays the music like the orchestra would normally, so it would be a live performance, not memorex!

The lights would be styled after the old sets from the Beyruth Opera house, with those humongous monolithic walls, and the shaft of light that came down in front of it, to light a small portion of the stage. The color in these is VERY IMPORTANT as we can work the color "design" for each section of the piece.

Because the words are "spiritual", most of the movements and directions are of the same ritualistic form and design, and the musical passages with no lyrics serve as the helpers to change sets and sections of the stage.  This could/should also be accompanied by film as a sort of guided meditation, or passage into another level/world.

I was also wondering about costumes!

With these sets that you can "see" from a quarter of a mile, the easier robes and such would go better with the design, but are not necessarily as important as something else!

The sets, and the IDEALISM of the words, is to be shown on the monolithic walls in FILM. Some of these could be as easy as symbolic visions of this or that, or as an example, during one passage a slow film of a low flying something around Stonehenge, and the like. I would want to get more "international" with these images, because I would not want to suggest that only one culture can have the spirit of the Gods, which to me is what the whole thing is about!

THIS will NOT, likely be appreciated by rock music fans and the like, because screaming "rock'n'roll" is likely going to get you thrown out of the theater! Go get stoned somewhere else!!! But I would likely only put this together in the bigger/better concert halls (not rock dives!) that also do classical music for the stuffed set, because seeing something like this would blow away the local symphony to smithereens!

I would invite Dean, Snow Dog, and ALL the PA Admins to the opening night! They would all get the prime seats as would a few other folks that deserve to see this like no one ever has! In some ways, this is more like the "dream" that Jon would have imagined that helped create the piece of music, than anything else. And my own imagination, of course!

But it ought to tell you how much I care and respect the work.

Now I have to work on Passion Play ... that one is harder because the lyrics are narrative!

Edited by moshkito - April 08 2014 at 13:51
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 20:53
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Stack!!!! I done it!!!!

For weeks I have been thinking how to stage TFTO, and I finally got it!

I wonder if Jon would appreciate this, but I don't think he is the "artsy" type, like I am,  to go with something like this at all, but I did "see it". FINALLY

Well done, M!!  A very inspiring vision for one of the seminal compositions in rock history! 

As far as Jon & his appreciation of art, don't forget that he had the band bring bales of hay & stuff into the studio for the recording of "The Remembering," in order to provide a more pastoral air to the studio environment!!  Brilliant!! 

Here's a neat interview....

This is my wife Virginia, and Jon after the 2004 "35th Anniversary Show" in Chicago!  Jon is SO cool!!

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2014 at 11:08

Well done, M!!  A very inspiring vision for one of the seminal compositions in rock history! 

Directing, and creating "visions" in theater, was easy for me. I always said, if you have the "vision", the rest is easy by comparison.

The play I directed the 2nd half of (writing project in a class that I had to direct Act 2), had a dream sequence. The review of the play by the old curmudgeon in Santa Barbara, said it was the best doggie he had ever seen. In the dream sequences the doggie talked to his owner about dating and the chicks, of course! All I did, believe it or not, was take the kid for a walk around campus, and I said ... I want to see that! ... and definitly I want to see that! ... and we gotta have some of that, and then we did it and I let the actor have fun, and it helped the others, pat his head and appreciate a "good doggie" and all that!

The other play was "Escuriel" by Michel de Ghelderode, that was a visual feast with music! The last 6 minutes were "choreographed" to Colin Townes piece of music from the "Full Circle" soundtrack. The only set was a 4 tier pyuramid offset from the center, and a King's Throne on top. Nothing else, and watching the fool crawl all over when the king is not looking and poop and pee on the chair ... etc etc ... etc ... had everyone totally wondering ... what is this all about? It was also a lighting dream that had music all over it, and I found out later by my professor, that Ghelderode used to have music all over the piece, so my doing so without even knowing that was pretty cool!

The last one, was a film version of TOSCA, that Peter Mark (emeritus in the Virgina Opera) chickened out on! At that point I quit directing and became a writer. Most of the people there are "vision'less" and are just trying to work with ideas, and they do not know what they are doing.

It's almost the same with "popular" music! It's why they use terms like "rock'n'roll" or "progressive" or "prog", to justify empty iideas whose meanings are not important, unless you think that brown sugar is sweet little sixteen ...

Thus, for me, the likes of those pieces mentioned here, are very special and important to me, because ... THERE IS VISION! And in the end they ARE a vision! Not an idea, not a thought!

Edited by moshkito - May 13 2014 at 11:17
www.pedrosena.com
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2014 at 00:02
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Now i'm not a fan of Transatlantic but this just bring a big smile to my face.

I absolutely love how Neil, an artist that has devoted his life to music, has the chance to perform prolly one of his favorite songs of all time with his hero. The quality of that video isn't amazing but even i can tell he is grinning and just in his head so much. 

lol, I doubt Neal ever listens to Yes anymore. It was undoubtedly Roine who pressed for that, as someone else said. Anyway, that first big melody in 'Revealing Science' is good but Neal and Roine have both written infinitely better music than the drivel on TFTO.

Now that that's out of the way, this is still cool to see and surely sounds 10 times better than how Yes would play it these days. The playing is super tight, and Anderson sounds great. Yes is a soulless machine without him.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2014 at 12:43

Originally posted by Altairius Altairius wrote:

Anyway, that first big melody in 'Revealing Science' is good but Neal and Roine have both written infinitely better music than the drivel on TFTO.

Weird to hear you say that today, when the guitar was not exactly the explored instrument that it is 40 years later, or today! How easily we forget "time" and its effects on an instrument or in music.

No one sits here, or elsewhere, and talks about all the drivel in Tchaikovsky, or Mozart (and he does have a lot of it, too!), or any other serious musician, but we are all such incredible experts that we can call that "drivel".

Nothing out there, in music, and expression, INCLUDING your opinion, is DRIVEL, because if it was it would be ignored, and it wasn't!

I would rather you be honest and say you like one melody, but not the other! It would be much more respectful to an artist, something that EVEN YOU would like to have if it were your own piece of music!

www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12