Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Vai added to bands list !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:03
Since when is playing the guitar fast progressive? I don't like any of the shred guitarists. They all totally miss the mark. Music is more than shredding.
Life seemed to him merely like a gallery of how to be.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:04

Originally posted by DavidInsabella DavidInsabella wrote:

Since when is playing the guitar fast progressive? I don't like any of the shred guitarists. They all totally miss the mark. Music is more than shredding.

Exactly. Vai rules.

Chris88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:08
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Chris88 Chris88 wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Joe Satriani never wrote music as complex, innovative and well-composed as Vai's Fire Garden suite, Lucky Charms, Bledsoe Blvd, etc. And his recent collaborations with orchestras (Fire Strings in Tokyo, Metropole Orkest) are entirely out of reach for Satriani. I like his music also, but IMO he lacks any progressive attitude. He is a perfect icon for the label "Shred".

vais fire garden suite is based on the phrygian dominant scale and so is satrianis oriental melody then it moves to the phrygian scale then minor pentatonic. Not complex? I think satriani could play with an orchestra but he just chooses not to. And I can see how you call him shred which he is but if you disect his music it is so much more, some examples Flying in a blue dream song, Rubina, and my favorite starry night. He puts so much feeling into his music maybe emo shred fits him.

I did say that I like Satch, and although I called him "Shred", he's far from being a "mindless shredder" like Michael Angelo Batio or Yngwie Malmsteen. I really love his ballads and acoustic songs, and laid back blues variations like the last track on The Extremist.

You can't reduce the Fire Garden Suite to scales. Phrygian dominant is indeed a scale that's heavily used by Shredders in the Metal domain. Consider Lucky Charms, if the oriental influences distract you from the other means of symphonic composition.

The last track is called new blues its is one of my favorite satch songs. Check out satrianis self titled cd its all blues with some rock influence and its awsome. 

Yep almost every shredder uses phrygian dominant and the more common harmonic(yngwie) minor scale. Im so glad the 80s are over

Chris88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:09

Originally posted by DavidInsabella DavidInsabella wrote:

< PX,enough said. If you need proof I can explain!

Edited by Chris88
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:13
Originally posted by Chris88 Chris88 wrote:

The last track is called new blues its is one of my favorite satch songs. Check out satrianis self titled cd its all blues with some rock influence and its awsome. 

Yep almost every shredder uses phrygian dominant and the more common harmonic(yngwie) minor scale. Im so glad the 80s are over

The harmonic minor scale is much more interesting than the standard (aeolian) minor scale, there's no doubt about it. Phrygian dominant is just applying the harmonic minor scale in a different mode ... I think it's a concept which cannot get boring in itself, it depends what you make out of it (what you build on top of that idea). 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456