Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteve Vai added to bands list !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 17:03
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by nimrodel nimrodel wrote:

lets add michael angelo batio too!

Would you please only about music that you really know? You'll compare Vai to Malmsteen next ...

Who is this Michael Angelo person, Mike?

Entirely not my cup of tea - this is what I would describe as "mindless shredding". His technique is flawless, but I can find nothing interesting in his songs. Listen to Vai's Flex-Able, or "Lucky Charms" - a difference like day and night.

http://www.angelo.com

http://www.angelo.com/No_Boundaries.mp3

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 17:04

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Unlike Queen.

Yeah whatever Cert! keep on bangin' that drum!

I will, until someone comes up with a good reason to the contrary.

Which they haven't.

The only reason so far is "I don't think Queen are prog so they can't be". How long did it take to come up with that one then?

You're one of the worst culprits. What was your argument again.

Oh yes.

"No they're not".

You shot me down, man...

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 17:14

Unlike Queen.

Yeah whatever Cert! keep on bangin' that drum!

I will, until someone comes up with a good reason to the contrary.

Which they haven't.

The only reason so far is "I don't think Queen are prog so they can't be". How long did it take to come up with that one then?

You're one of the worst culprits. What was your argument again.

Oh yes.

"No they're not".

You shot me down, man...

That wasn't my argument, that was just my reaction. I've been into Queen all my life and never ever thought of them as prog as such. I'm not going to define why their not, thats just the way I feel. The 70's were a great time, with music exploring in all sorts of ways and Queen certainly weren't part of the Prog scene then! Not to my recollection anyway.
    They were  more "theatrical rock", and OK Queen II is possibly a bit Proggy, but ANATO, I can't see it myself!

Furthermore you're overzealous overating of these albums just seems to me like you have something to prove!

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 17:25

It's not overzealous - I explain my ratings precisely and with factual detail that could be disagreed with.

But no.

The disagreements are "just my reaction", "never ever thought of them as prog as such", "thats just the way I feel".

So what if you didn't think they were prog at the time? Now is not then, and prog is viewed very differently these days. Times change.

"theatrical rock"??? You just made that up.

Weren't Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd and ELP all theatrical?

Let me think...

Give me a hard one

Ruglish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 17:30

Queen are an interesting paradox -- all of their '70s (and some of the '80s + "Innuendo") albums contain geniune prog, but only about two or three songs out of 10. 

Queen II is probably the most proggy, with "The March of the Black Queen," "Fairy Feller's Master Stroke" and "Ogre Battle" as highlights.  But it also has whatever that Roger Taylor tune is in the middle.

"Sheer Heart Attack" has "Brighton Rock" on it.

"A Night at the Opera" -- "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "The Prophet's Song" and definitely prog; "Good Company," "I'm in Love With my Car," etc. most certainly are not.

And it pretty much goes on like this:

"Day at the Races" has proggy "Millionnaire's Waltz" but a bunch of other stuff that's not prog.  "Jazz" has "Bicycle Race" and "Mustafa."  Even the really awful and mostly not progressive "A Kind of Magic" has a respectable prog song in "Princes of the Universe."  "Innuendo" -- their proggiest since "Queen II" has the title track, "Bijou," "The Hitman" and "All God's People."

The lion's share of Queen's prog was written by Mercury; the remainder by May.

If you put all of the songs I mentioned together, you get a really nice, long, intricate prog album.  But Queen was always about variety of sounds. 

For me personally, the consistent presence of prog in Queen's body of work makes up for the occasional "I'm in Love with My Car" or "Pain is So Close to Pleasure."  And if we're admitting Radiohead, for Christ's sakes, why not Queen?  At least 20 percent of Queen's songs are genuine prog.  Radiohead has, what, "Paranoid Android" and -- well, that's about it, isn't it?

I danced along the colored wind
Dangled from a rope of sand
You must say goodbye to me
bmorgan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 18:07
Steve Vai also played with Al di Meola.......wait a minute, Al's not on here. If Steve is, why not Al, huh?
The universe is wider than our views of it. - Thoreau
Aerosol Grey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 18:22

Steve Vai has no appeal to anybody who does not play guitar, therefore he should not be included here.  He gets enough worship on guitar technique websites.

Cmon guys, lets get this sit back to its intended purpose which is getting prog-metal dorks to buy Magma and Gentle Giant albums.

Prog is the new punk, becuase kids who shop at Hot Topic don't know Bill Bruford is God.
Chris88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 18:27
Originally posted by Aerosol Grey Aerosol Grey wrote:

Steve Vai has no appeal to anybody who does not play guitar, therefore he should not be included here.  He gets enough worship on guitar technique websites.

Cmon guys, lets get this sit back to its intended purpose which is getting prog-metal dorks to buy Magma and Gentle Giant albums.

Ok I love steve vai more than life itself but I do agree with you. Put simply his music is only acsessable to musicians. As I said before he is my hero but he does not belong here.

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 18:35
Take the Queen discussion elsewhere guys.  Or better yet, stop it.  They're here to stay, deal with it.

As for Vai, it's looking at the moment like we won't be keeping him much longer, so those of you upset with the current state of affairs need not worry.
Hemispheres View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 19:00

To me Flex able is a very Zappa like album, for that reason maybe he should be included.

Yah Because ripping off other musicians is so progresive

[IMG]http://www.wheresthatfrom.com/avatars/miguelsanchez.gif">[IMG]http://www.rockphiles.com/all_images/Act_Images/TheMothersOfInvention/mothers300.jpg">
Revan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 19:07
I think he's prog enough...

herbie53 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 19:21

Steve Vai is decidedly not prog! And he is not a Jazz Fusion Rock musician!!! Why is he in this site??? Only because put some stupid effects in his music??? Or because began his career with the Master FRANK ZAPPA ???

I hate masturbatory instrumentists, and for me Vai is the biggest one in this territory... The guy is a joke... anyone saw him in his last dvd, with a ventilator in the front of him, only for shake his horrible hair, full of a japanese cream for bad hair??? When he did came in Brazil for some shows with G3, he did made a scene, only because the production of the show did not find his japanese cream for bad hair...

Don't make me laugh... this guy is a joke !!!

Lyzarrd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 19:24
First off...let me add this. Al Di Meola needs to be in above all others.

Secondly, Vai is so close to being good enough and well-rounded enough to be in the archives however, he is holding hiself back. If the man would focus on writing and composing the way he does with his abilities instead of doing technical wank-off, speed-runs, than he could possibly be considered an all-time great.

I don't understand how he can write absolutely beautiful, tear-jerking, genious pieces such as Tender Surrender and For the Love of God and yet completely destroy all that by doing rediculously stupid things such as The Audience is Listening.

Honestly I think he is phenomenal and has great ability that he just doesn't put to full use. Its a real shame and I think that perhaps his music needs more time to mature in order to be considered for the archives.

Can you tell me where my country lies...
Chris88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 19:26
All he is doing with songs like the audience is listening is showing he has a sense of humor and I think he does a pretty good job at it! Music is about fun also.
con safo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 20:04
I dont know how you CAN't call him prog!

The Ultra Zone
Studio Album

He's obviously very ahead of the times!

on a serious note tho, i havent heard much by him and cant make any valid comments, instead i bring you this picture:

KILLER MULLET DUDE!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 20:23
[QUOTE=Certif1ed]

It's not overzealous - I explain my ratings precisely and with factual detail that could be disagreed with.

Sorry, but its how I see it. You're review of ANATO, giving it 5 stars, and you're review of Queen II, talking about it as if it was some long lost prog masterpiece that you just rediscovered.

But no.

The disagreements are "just my reaction", "never ever thought of them as prog as such", "thats just the way I feel".

" Just My reaction" is not a disagreement in this argument. Just an explanation for a previous post. The rest are my personal opinions. Ok, so its the way I feel, sometimes thats what you go on, like a detectives hunch! I've read many of your posts and you always make a strong argument, but I have no facts to back me up. Just opinion.

So what if you didn't think they were prog at the time? Now is not then, and prog is viewed very differently these days. Times change.

Not just me, I don't think anyone considered them prog. Times do change I agree, which is why I said in a previous argument with you that I didn't consider Iron Maiden or Def Leppard Heavy Metal. By today's standards they're not!

"theatrical rock"??? You just made that up.

Of course I made it up! I'd hardly deny it. Journalists make things up all the time. I have heard them called something similar though. This is what happens when a band is difficult to catagorise.

Weren't Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd and ELP all theatrical?

Yes, but not in the same way I meant. Queen are a kind of Vaudeville act. Or were at least..............so some jopurnos said anyway!

Let me think...

Give me a hard one

Sorry I'm not that way inclined!

[/ QUOTE]

We ain't gonna agree on this, thats obvious. You are always so convinced you are right for a start! I'll say this, Queen II is Proggy, but is it the genuine article?  You are convinced it is, I have my doubts, but ANATO I really don't think is prog at all!

Lateralus_66 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 20:48
Steve Vai @ ProgArchives ..?

Yabadabadou but... I do like his discography, specially “Flex-Able”, “Sex & Religion” (with Devin Townsend) and “Real Illusions: Reflections” with some Progressive Metal drops, but IMO he isn’t a Prog-Rock guy… 

GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 22:26
ugh.  please. not vai.
He's technically brilliant, but I hate his style and he is not progressive.  My friend is a huge fan of Vai and he made me watch this live DVD.  it was awful.  he's there on stage with a skin-tight shirt, glitter on his face and an industrial-strength fan on stage to blow his hair back while he plays so he can look cool. 
I like self-indulgent music, but please, lay off the glitter, man.
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
Damen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 22:41
Adding Vai will just open the doors for other guitarists like Malmsteen and Satriani who aren't prog at all. By the same token Queen needs to get the boot as well, or we'll start adding every 70's classic rock band (just look at the people harping for Deep Purple now).
"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire
hugo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 23:43
We could do with Vai, he has had a number of fusiony sounding stuff, especially his latest album Illusions is quite proggish......What I'm worried about is that this will open the floodgates to many other virtuoso guitarists, who are no more than just that.... Satriani, Micheal Angelo, Jason Becker, etc....They definitely have no business on a prog site!

Album of the week:
Being
7/30/05 Remedy Lane
7/24/05 Pawn Hearts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>