Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeil Peart down on band's 70s work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neil Peart down on band's 70s work
    Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:10
Wondering what Rush fans think of a recent Neil Peart quote, which would seem to diss some of their most beloved albums....

No 2112, no Hemispheres, no Permanent Waves???  Say it ain't so Neil! 

"Those were the growing years. I often equate that to children's drawings on the refrigerator that hang around too long, you know?

I really wish they would just go away.  I think we really started....wow, given my druthers, I would make our first album "Moving Pictures."  I can't think of a single reason not to do that!"

Great drummer, but I think he's cracked on this one.  I love their early work. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:15
I actually agree. At least lyrically and conceptually, which is kind of Neil's area. But even musically, maybe Neil thinks he began to say more with less once Moving Pics and the following albums happened. Not to say the 70s were bad in any way, but they were not quite as lasting for me. And I say this as a person who used to think the opposite 30 years ago.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:26
I'm just the opposite now.  Years ago I enjoyed post MP stuff more.  These days I have rediscovered the aggression and intensity of the early work and I can't get enough of it.  The later stuff just doesn't grab me...as much.  I'm finding that of a lot of bands though.  I love their youthful power and naivity more than their later "sophistication."  

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:30
I kind of agree with Neil Peart. 2112 has lots of merits but for me the really great albums in Rush's discography start with Permanent Waves. Before that, they were a talented band finding their best possible sound and style. After Permanent Waves, independent on their continued "proginess" or not, Rush found a unique, cohesive, and for me great, sound. And Peart's drumming got from fantastic to best-in-class. 
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:40
i can see what he means, to a degree. The band really had a more professional and confident way of doing things since Moving Pictures, but I still think their work before that are excellent, especially their albums from 77-80, which are my three favorites by them
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:46
Why not Permanent Waves..? Come on Neil. You're starting to show your age. I can understand why he would brush off albums like Hemispheres and Caress of Steel, but MP's sister album? :<
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:53
It reminds me of the Floyd when they diss their pre-Meddle work, I just love that stuff.  LZ1 and LZ3 are two favorites.  I like Tull's early albums better than their acclaimed ones.  Benefit especially.  Yes and Genesis, the same story. 

Then again, to play on Neil's quote, I would probably rather look at a collection of children's artwork than what passes for most "real" art by sophisticated types.....  LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 18:54
Oh, and Kate.  Lionheart is my favorite.

Anyway, sorry, back to Rush...............

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 19:06
Statements like this really piss me off. I was going to mention Floyd Jim which you did already and the two guys from Kraftwerk as well who all seem embarrased with their early stuff. I can see how a musician becomes a better song writer and player as they get older and more mature but they also lose something in my opinion as to what is so important about music that they had in their youth. My favourite music touches my heart, soul and my feelings in some way which most of the music from the three bands I mentioned did early on. To me it's an insult to say he wished Permanent Waves never existed. Notice all three bands I mention are all rich older men and I guess their early stuff doesn't touch them like it did their fans. And to be fair maybe musicians look at their music differently than fans do, maybe they are more objective or equate the ones that sold the most as being the best. I don't know but he just insulted a lot of his fans. 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 19:24
I hear you John. 

I doubt he intended to insult anyone, Neil seems like a nice chap.  But there is sort of an arrogance that develops over time (more pronounced in Waters) where the older, wiser, matured artist looks down his nose with a sneer at the youthful days.  It may make perfect sense to these guys who are now all businessmen, but not to me. 

I give Rush a lot of credit for the constant pursuit of refinement and the seriousness with which they took their career, I really do.  But it's just always been this way for me.....with very few exceptions, the spark is captured early in rock music....it is a young person's game in my opinion.  For me as a fan, it's about the fun and energy, not the precision of the production or the social conscience of their latest lyric.  All about the spark in the eye, the fire in the belly. 

Edited by Finnforest - February 25 2014 at 19:26

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 19:36
I always preferred their 70s material, but Neil Peart is entitled to his own perspective on it, even though I don't feel that way about it.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 19:37
Always loved Neil Peart's drumming work, for me an excellent drummer. Maybe he is thinking that the artist should follow the changings of the modern times, thus leaving that classic concept which was so characteristical until Permanent Waves (or maybe until Moving Pictures). But i think after that the band began gradually to lose that so intense flowing energy and propulsive force blended with kind of a original surrealistic atmosphere, very present in their early works. After Signals i began to lose interest in their later works, besides feeling in me a litlle change in my music preferences i felt in that album a litlle change in the band.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 19:47
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I hear you John. 

I doubt he intended to insult anyone, Neil seems like a nice chap.  But there is sort of an arrogance that develops over time (more pronounced in Waters) where the older, wiser, matured artist looks down his nose with a sneer at the youthful days.  It may make perfect sense to these guys who are now all businessmen, but not to me. 

I give Rush a lot of credit for the constant pursuit of refinement and the seriousness with which they took their career, I really do.  But it's just always been this way for me.....with very few exceptions, the spark is captured early in rock music....it is a young person's game in my opinion.  For me as a fan, it's about the fun and energy, not the precision of the production or the social conscience of their latest lyric.  All about the spark in the eye, the fire in the belly. 

Well said Jim and as usual i'm overreacting, but this is my favourite band and I just think sometimes these guys lose touch as to what their music means to fans. It's now a business to them and the product from the early years is something they wouldn't ship out today. Honestly though I can't see Lifeson and Lee saying this but maybe i'm wrong. It's just disappointing to me to read this from Peart. Yeah i'll get over it.LOL
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 19:54
Nah...you're not overreacting John...I know exactly how you feel.

And yes, Ged comments about the same issue in this book but with more balance.  He talks about Caress and while admitting some of the shortcomings, he talks about their grand ambitions and passions with fondness, and says there are "beautiful moments" despite being ponderous (Lamneth). 

He also recalls fondly the "funny aromas" in the control room while cutting Caress.  No wonder I love that albumLOL

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 19:55
^hey, John, I guess I see how you feel, them being your favorite band. I guess if Jurgen Fritz said that about Triumvirat's early work, I'd be peeved.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 19:58
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I hear you John. 

Hit the nail right on the head. I think a lot of flack Peart has towards their early work has to be directed toward himself, specifically in regards to his early lyrics. Compare stuff "By-Tor And The Snow Dog" and "The Necromancer" with "Free Will", "Tom Sawyer" and "Losing It" and you easily see how much he improved. I agree that it's silly that he comes across as being ashamed of Rush's early work (seriously Peart, you're really gonna liken "Xanadu" and "La Villa Strangiato" to children's drawings?), but I can forgive him because the band really did grow and improve on their craft. 

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - February 25 2014 at 20:01
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 20:08
I agree with him but I'm not the biggest Rush fan--there's a sameness to their sound that I can take in small doses--I have like 4 of their albums.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 20:14
I'm afraid I largely agree with Neil,  though I would make their "first album" Hemispheres or AFtK.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 20:37
Permanent Waves is their best album so obviously he's drunk.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2014 at 20:58
It's all about perspective. For him that was probably when he first felt like a true master of his craft. It is also a difference of six years leading up to Moving Pictures and the 30 plus since. Fans give a lot of weight to what is now a fraction of their career. We may not agree but his comments are understandable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>