Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeil Peart down on band's 70s work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 11:51
I just aint going to waste time listening to any shorter stuff when I have more epic prog to seek out and sample....
TheLastBaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 01:39
Regardless of how Neil feels about the earlier albums, it gave the band what they needed to build a fanbase, build and refine their playing chops and influence the bands whose members grew up with their early stuff. Also moving pictures takes a lot of elements from earlier albums and "streamlines" them. After all camera eye is a ten minute or so piece.
" Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own minds." - FDR
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 15:42
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I agree with him but I'm not the biggest Rush fan--there's a sameness to their sound that I can take in small doses--I have like 4 of their albums.

How the heck is there sameness to their sound?Confused

So, Caress of Steel,2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves sound the same?? What the?? That's such a broad, vague statement.Can you elaborate,twosteves?
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 16:12
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Neil's mustache from the 1970's is still something to be jealous of.

Cool Agreed 100%
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 20:14
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I agree with him but I'm not the biggest Rush fan--there's a sameness to their sound that I can take in small doses--I have like 4 of their albums.

So, Caress of Steel,2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves sound the same?? What the?? That's such a broad, vague statement.Can you elaborate,twosteves?

lol--can I elaborate? That's what I hear---For me 3 piece bands are usually not my favorite---think it's hard to get the complete sound I like---I'm more a 5 piece kind of sound---I know they are talented but I've  never been a Rush fanboy---, I love some of their songs but not a real metal rock kind of prog fan---
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 20:24
^ Well just as Genesis and ELP had a bigger sound as 3-pc bands...Rush's sound is even bigger.

A 5pc usually has dual guitars or just more percussion, a la PG.

Edited by Catcher10 - August 25 2014 at 20:25
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 20:33

lol--can I elaborate? That's what I hear---For me 3 piece bands are usually not my favorite---think it's hard to get the complete sound I like---I'm more a 5 piece kind of sound---I know they are talented but I've  never been a Rush fanboy---, I love some of their songs but not a real metal rock kind of prog fan---

Well, I do know what you're talking about. I don't know if I can explain it, but I do find something in their sound that is too similar, and after a while it starts sounding a bit tired. However, getting some later time live albums, it has kind of helped. They got a somewhat heavier sound that helps some of those older songs... actually, I'd like to get a couple more live albums from them, since I've been liking their sound a bit better that way. The one bad thing about their later live albums is that Geddy's voice has lost it's edge... so it's one thing or the other.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 20:35

I know that's what you hear and that's fine but you didn't elaborate on why you think that "there is a sameness to their sound".
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 20:47

I know that's what you hear and that's fine but you didn't elaborate on why you think that "there is a sameness to their sound".

I don't really see it either. Geddy's voice didn't change a whole lot really until Permanent Waves where he begin singing closer to his speaking range. Before that, he was much higher, almost wailing.

But there was the big switch over to adding keyboards on A Farewell to Kings that gradually became more pronounced after that with the later inclusion of synths. Neil's kit was getting bigger and more diverse with each ensuing album. His lyrics were also changing with the style of music, going from storytelling narratives, to philosophical observations. Alex's guitar tones went from the bluesy sound of their debut album to the heavy metallic tones we hear on Caress of Steel and 2112, to a lighter but still heavy tone on Hemispheres. His playing also continued to evolve during this process, as his sound still seemed to stand in front of the rest of the band.

Sure it's all heavy prog during this era, but I don't think it's all the same heavy prog. Embarrassed
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 20:49
I'm a quartet and quintet kind of guy myself BUT Rush have made music throughout the years that sounds at least like a quartet thanks to the brilliant multitasking of Geddy Lee. There aren't many musicians in prog rock that can sing, play bass and keyboards, and never manage to miss a beat. I think, if  anything, a person can at least respect what monster musicians these guys are and if they can't, then I suppose they shouldn't be listening to prog rock because a failure to recognize musical ability is the same as slapping someone in the face out of complete disrespect. That's all I'll say.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 25 2014 at 20:50
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 20:51

I don't really see it either. Geddy's voice didn't change a whole lot really until Permanent Waves where he begin singing closer to his speaking range. Before that, he was much higher, almost wailing.

But there was the big switch over to adding keyboards on A Farewell to Kings that gradually became more pronounced after that with the later inclusion of synths. Neil's kit was getting bigger and more diverse with each ensuing album. His lyrics were also changing with the style of music, going from storytelling narratives, to philosophical observations. Alex's guitar tones went from the bluesy sound of their debut album to the heavy metallic tones we hear on Caress of Steel and 2112, to a lighter but still heavy tone on Hemispheres. His playing also continued to evolve during this process, as his sound still seemed to stand in front of the rest of the band.

Sure it's all heavy prog during this era, but I don't think it's all the same heavy prog. Embarrassed

I'd argue that it was Prog Metal with other influences Shocked. Ged had the attitude and voice of Heavy Metal singers back then. A question. Why is Judas Priest in the 1970s considered Metal and not Rush? Confused
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 20:57
I dunno what 70's Judas Priest sounds like tbh. Any reccomendations?

How many metal bands in the 70's dressed in kimonos. LOL I digress though, that has nothing to do with their sound.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 21:00
I never thought of Rush as a prog metal band and I never will.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 21:03

How many metal bands in the 70's dressed in kimonos. LOL I digress though, that has nothing to do with their sound.

JP in the 70s did not have that metallic sound that they later did but it was still metal as there some similarities in my opinion with them and Rush. Rush was about as heavy as it got with Prog back then. Listen to Cygnus X and The Necromancer and tell me that isn't Metal?
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 21:04
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Then again it's hard to categorize them as just a Prog Rock band LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 21:07

JP in the 70s did not have that metallic sound that they later did but it was still metal as there some similarities in my opinion with them and Rush. Rush was about as heavy as it got with Prog back then. Listen to Cygnus X and The Necromancer and tell me that isn't Metal?

Proto-metal, that's all it is. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 21:08

That's beauty of their music. It doesn't fit cozily into any category. Smile
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 21:11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu0z1csRnKQ

70's Priest which is very much metal.

I wouldn't really call any Rush from back then metal either, they had a lot of hard rock influence and got heavy compared to other prog at the time but actually metal? nah. it doesn't have the edge and aggression compared to something like Priest, Sabbath or Motorhead.

that's not to say that I don't think it's good, just not really in the metal realm
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 21:12

How many metal bands in the 70's dressed in kimonos. LOL I digress though, that has nothing to do with their sound.

Proto-metal, that's all it is. LOL

Nah Tongue

That's beauty of their music. It doesn't fit cozily into any category. Smile

Agreed Clap
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 21:19
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu0z1csRnKQ

70's Priest which is very much metal.

I wouldn't really call any Rush from back then metal either, they had a lot of hard rock influence and got heavy compared to other prog at the time but actually metal? nah. it doesn't have the edge and aggression compared to something like Priest, Sabbath or Motorhead.

that's not to say that I don't think it's good, just not really in the metal realm

Really? The Necromancer(Caress of Steel for that matter) or 2112 doesn't sound angry to you?

By the way I've viewed and participated in many polls and other blogging sites and have found out that there is a general consensus that agrees that they are
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>