Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTempel (U.S.) for Experimental / Post Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tempel (U.S.) for Experimental / Post Metal
    Posted: March 01 2014 at 00:17

Tempel is a duo from Phoenix, AZ, formed in 2003. Originally called "Temple", the duo is made ​​up of guitarist, keyboardist & sound engineer Ryan Wenzel and drummer Rich Corle. They released full-lenght debut album On The Steps of The Temple in 2012 as a digital album. In December 2013, the duo signed on Los Angeles' metal label Prosthetic Records which re-issued the album as CD and vinyl LP on 21 January 2014. Tempel combines different experiences of metal, in order to get a magnificent, dark soundscapes; their ingenious style of composing will attract every fan of progressive music. 

"'On The Steps Of The Temple' is a churning, thrashing, well-paced, ominous metal journey across some incredibly evocative and haunting soundscapes. It's a remarkable debut and awesome achievement for the Arizonan duo. I implore you to climb the steps, enter the Temple and succumb to its hard hitting musical majesty. The highest recommendation possible for fans of Post-Rock, Instrumental, and/or Metal. Period." - Echoes and Dust

"The band comes scorching out of the gate with the ferocious "Mountain," a non-stop deluge of double bass drumming, gorgeous keyboard melodies and tight tremolo guitar picking. The song is one of the best I have heard this year. This is a record that deserves your attention and there is no doubt that Tempel will be signed. Genius of this magnitude cannot be denied." - Heavy Metal About dot com

"This album took 3 years to make. This album is a labour of love for these guys. And it shows. Every note written and played feels like it belongs in that order. It’s a perfect balance of dedication and originality that not a lot of bands can match." - The Sludgelord

"I’ve had mixed results with instrumental albums over the years – vocals are such a powerful and cathartic emotional element, and without them, the compositions must stand on their own. If they wander too much, it can sometimes be hard to stay engaged for the entire ride. Tempel surmounts these issues with this epic, compelling and monstrous album, and with lengthy compositions that hurtle by in what seems like half the time. This talented duo is a revelation, and On the Steps of the Temple is one of the year’s best metal albums. Don’t miss it." - Teeth Of The Divine

"This temple is made of metal, and it’s begging for worship." - Metal Bandcamp

"When On the Steps of the Temple begins, the apathetically strummed guitar deceives the true nature of the music that is to follow. What Tempel has created here is a lesson in how to make a post-metal album that is actually heavy enough to be considered metal, and still takes listeners into a whirling sound-storm; it is not a long, drawling collection of mid-tempo songs that travel into each other — it is a solid structure, like a mountain, leading up to the summit, where lies Tempel.

The first track, “Mountain” is one of the fastest on the album. This can lead people astray if they are just listening to a sample to see whether they will like the rest. This song does not seem out of place though. It is a logical introduction for fresh travellers who have only just begun their treck up the mountain side. Keep going and you will know what I mean.

After an energetic bout of climbing, most would like to slow the pace and take time to regain their vigor. This is what On the Steps of the Temple allows listeners to do, with “Rising from the Abyss” (track 2). It starts slowly, then begins to plod along with some staccato riffing, before building up with some tasteful soloing and quick bass drums. It subsequently stops and allows you to take in the atmosphere, before continuing.

The closest thing to lyrics on this album comes in the song “Avaritia” (track 5), in the form of soundbits from what sounds like an old movie. Movie buffs are probably shouting at their monitors at my ignorance, but I’m not familiar with the source. The words suit the song perfectly. This is one of my favourite tracks from On the Steps of the Temple (and in general). The tension of the other parts matches the slow, thematic background the instruments lay down for spoken parts. The soundbits are about gold prospecting and the troubles that burden those who did, as well as those who did not, strike it rich, and the problem of keeping the money. Tempel has taken part of a film and used their own art to create an audio story. I wish all bands created tracks that were this well articulated.

The guitar sounds on this album are excellent. They are cleanly produced and the tones suit the music perfectly. When the instruments let a track breath, the keyboards soar, and the majestic tones fly over the top of the drums, it’s almost breathtaking. Actually, I don’t think I can fault the sound production on this album at all. I generally like my metal to sound more raw, but post-metal and clean production seem to go well together. Yes, there is probably nothing too special about the production choices; some might even call it a little generic (but let’s not confuse generic sound with bad sound). To me, there is something enchanting, and almost graceful, about the sound on this album." - a review by Michael Kattenbunner on The Metalithic http://www.the-metalithic.com/tempel-on-the-steps-of-the-temple-review/

http://store.prostheticrecords.com/bands/tempel

https://www.facebook.com/Tempelofficialband

Edited by Svetonio - March 01 2014 at 11:15
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2014 at 16:15
shows some promise, on charts

Svet, was that a bio that I saw up there Shocked ? Wink

Edited by aapatsos - March 01 2014 at 16:16
yam yam View Drop Down