2 [4.35%]
1 [2.17%]
1 [2.17%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 03:47
'Low Spark....' is my select Traffic album. 'John Barleycorn...' is close 2nd.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 03:54
I do love " On The Road"....one of the best live offerings in the 70's.....as far as this poll goes I punted Far From Home only cos it is a fantastic production and such a fresh sounding 90's Traffic which went largely unnoticed
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 03:58
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I do love " On The Road"....one of the best live offerings in the 70's.....as far as this poll goes I punted Far From Home only cos it is a fantastic production and such a fresh sounding 90's Traffic which went largely unnoticed

And I didn't even listen to Far From Home Shocked
Well, I read a review which wasn't too positive about the album, so I ignored the album, but now that I read your post...

Yes, On The Road is a great live album!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 04:02
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I'm kind of surprised to see Traffic are listed under Eclectic. Anyone know if they were moved there from Proto-Prog at some point? That's probably where they belong.

I don't know why that happened. 
They are eclectic, though: a mixture of jazz, blues, rock, folk and maybe some other genres.
Maybe they have been moved because they weren't seen as really paving the way for the prog giants.
Maybe because they don't have a lot of classical elements, like The Nice, the Moody Blues or Procol Harum.

As far as I can remember, they have been listed under Prog Folk first, but they were afterwards moved to Eclectic Prog.

Yes, that was also in the back of my head.
I could imagine that they were moved, because as I said, the jazz and blues influences, and Steve Winwood was (is) a soulful singer, and the original Traffic was, according to Steve Winwood, based on Junior Walker & The All Stars, which seems to have a Motown soul component...
They were an eclectic bunch alright!
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 09:22

The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 09:26
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

The HIGHLY underrated Shootout at the Fantasy Factory, which never got any love! 

Ever so totally....

I think we're the only two votes...

SadlyCry
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 11:09
John Barleycorn Must Win!
Prog On!
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 12:11

I see that all the albums have at least one vote, except the rest album "Last Exit", which still features some great Traffic songs BTW, like "Shanghai Noodle Factory", "Medicated Goo" and "Withering Tree".

Those songs are great, especially "Shanghai Noodle Factory" which is one of their best songs IMO, but that jam stuff on side two is really an endurance test for me, and kills the momentum the album had early on.

I'm probably one of the few somewhat Traffic fans that could never get into John Barlycorn Must Die. It's not terrible, but I just prefer the psychedelic early music and the funkier stuff following JBMD for some reason.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 12:24
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

I see that all the albums have at least one vote, except the rest album "Last Exit", which still features some great Traffic songs BTW, like "Shanghai Noodle Factory", "Medicated Goo" and "Withering Tree".

Those songs are great, especially "Shanghai Noodle Factory" which is one of their best songs IMO, but that jam stuff on side two is really an endurance test for me, and kills the momentum the album had early on.

Well, yes, I agree. In fact, the release of Last Exit was probably only record company policy. 
If I understand well, the band split up after the second album, and the record company wanted to release the last remaining songs, and fill up the album with some rest live material. The jam stuff is not at all on a par with the rest of the album.

I'm probably one of the few somewhat Traffic fans that could never get into John Barlycorn Must Die. It's not terrible, but I just prefer the psychedelic early music and the funkier stuff following JBMD for some reason.

Well, it's nice to hear another opinion. 
John Barleycorn was at first meant to be Steve Winwood's first solo album, as you may or may not know.
Funky stuff, yes, they did that too, didn't they?
They were really eclectic.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 12:29
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

The HIGHLY underrated Shootout at the Fantasy Factory, which never got any love! 

Ever so totally....

I think we're the only two votes...

SadlyCry

There are some great songs on that album, like Sometimes I Feel So Uninspired, Evening Blue and Roll Right Stones.
It's very good, but it's only not my top favorite album.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 12:50
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

For me it's between JB and LS, went with Barleycorn.

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 13:12

Well, yes, I agree. In fact, the release of Last Exit was probably only record company policy. 
If I understand well, the band split up after the second album, and the record company wanted to release the last remaining songs, and fill up the album with some rest live material. The jam stuff is not at all on a par with the rest of the album.

Yeah that's how I figured it went. Didn't Cream wind up doing something similar?

Also, wondering what the opinions are regarding Dave Mason's first solo album. I haven't heard it yet, but in my younger days I was always tempted to buy it based on the cover, especially the wacky back cover with his creepy smiling mug plastered on it. I know he eventually went all AOR, but I'm curious if any of his psychedelic tendencies in Traffic (his Traffic contributions really made their early albums kinda nutty) were intact for Alone Together.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 13:40

Yeah that's how I figured it went. Didn't Cream wind up doing something similar?

Also, wondering what the opinions are regarding Dave Mason's first solo album. I haven't heard it yet, but in my younger days I was always tempted to buy it based on the cover, especially the wacky back cover with his creepy smiling mug plastered on it. I know he eventually went all AOR, but I'm curious if any of his psychedelic tendencies in Traffic (his Traffic contributions really made their early albums kinda nutty) were intact for Alone Together.

Well, I have the album and I like it, though not as much as, like, his songs on the second Traffic album.
In my ears the songs on Alone Together are more normal pop/rock/rhythm and blues songs, though still very well composed.
BTW one of his other early albums, It's Like You Never Left, is good too. 
Without the rest of Traffic he sounds a bit more regular, although on one of the songs of the first album, there are still some flute solos as if Chris Wood was there on the album.
It definitely doesn't sound like the psychedelic tendencies on Mr. Fantasy. I think after 1967 he abandoned that altogether.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I do love " On The Road"....one of the best live offerings in the 70's.....

I agree, it's one of my faves.  Currently though, I'm listening to this
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 13:47
Low Spark just over Mr Fantasy for me, but it was very close. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2014 at 04:45

<span style="line-height: 1.2;"></span>
<span style="line-height: 1.2;">I see that all the albums have at least one vote, except the rest album "Last Exit", which still features some great Traffic songs BTW, like "Shanghai Noodle Factory", "Medicated Goo" and "Withering Tree".</span>

Well, it's nice to hear another opinion. 
John Barleycorn was at first meant to be Steve Winwood's first solo album, as you may or may not know.
Funky stuff, yes, they did that too, didn't they?
They were really eclectic.
Interesting thoughts - I enjoy side 2 of 'Last Exit' more so than side 1. The jammy, bluesy work-outs have such a good feel to them. The mix is shoddy though, Winwood's Hammond just BLARES out of the speakers.......
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 03:06
John Barleycorn Must Die is an absolute classic, a masterpiece, and one of my favorite albums of all time.  A fantastic roadtrip album, to boot.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2014 at 12:09
Tie Barleycorn/Low Spark
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 23:00
Mr. Fantasy to me. It was the first album from them I listened and it´s still the best. Traffic is one of those great bands I started to listen really late, in the 2000`s. I knew them already in the eighties, but no-one got their albums and I just hadn´t got enough money to buy everything that was interesting. Finally in 2000 one of my friends played Mr. Fantasy to me, it didn´t hit immediately, but I decided to buy it someday. When I bought it, I had to listen it some times, but when it hit, it hit really hard! I love all their albums, well not really much Far From Home, but I think their first three albums are their best! Really love also the live side of Last Exit, it´s working really well just Winwood in hammond, Capaldi in drums and Wood in flute and sax. Also really love all their live albums, last great traffic jam is also just great!

I think Traffic haven´t got as much attention in the 2000 than for example other great bands of the same time, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Doors, Cream etc. Hope this old thread get again more attention!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 21:01
Low Spark
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>