Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLove (Forever Changes, Da Capo etc.)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Love (Forever Changes, Da Capo etc.)
    Posted: March 04 2014 at 04:01
Does anyone like, or even love Love? 
I mean the band with Arthur Lee, which made albums like Forever Changes, Da Capo, Four Sail etc.
I like Forever Changes a lot, and Da Capo to a lesser extent.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 04:17
I like Da Capo and love Forever Changes, hardly a duff track on it. I was lucky enough to see Arthur Lee performing the whole of Forever Changes on stage which is one of my most treasured musical memories - You Set The Scene was particularly epic. The Castle (from Da Capo) was used as the theme tume to the BBC's Holiday programme many years ago.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 04:43
I am a big fan of Love since high-school. (which means almost 100 years ago) :P
In my opinion 'Forever Changes' is one of the most wonderful albums of Rock music in general.
I got all their albums (I think so at least), and all of them have something to offer.
I also was very lucky to watch Arthu Lee with "Love" performing the whole 'Forever Changes' with an orchestra on the anniversary tour which was also recorded. Very precious moments...
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 08:29
I've tried hard to like "Forever Changes" but it hasn't aged well.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 10:02
Forever Changes is one of my favourite 60s albums. I play it from time to time - preferably in the summer - and then get a sudden rush of Love - subsequently playing the whole thing over and over again. Great great songwriting and so more and beyond the prevailing psychedelic whimsy of it's day. Arthur Lee wasn't exactly the flower child either. He was in cahoots with some rather infamous LA gangsters, back when they were at their peak. Oh well, the lyrics aren't that hippieyish either come to think of it....
Also looooove the Revelation track from Da CapoApprove 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 10:17
Forever Changes is a must have for any music lovers. Great record!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 11:30
Ditto for the praise for Forever Changes.  It's so good it overshadows the rest of their discography, which is actually also very good, both before and after that album.  The stuff after Forever Changes is with a new band, one that rocks a little harder but plays looser and more naturally.  "Out Here" is a great album for the uninitiated to try - it's a double album with a lot of different styles on it, and a kickass remake of their early classic "Signed DC".
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 11:36
It took me some time to appreciate the band.
Forever Changes is really one of the masterpieces of the 1960's, but I get the impression that that is only generally recognised 20 years later.
Yes, as Guldbamsen said, Arthur Lee wasn't a flower child, even when the band was being called "Love".
And, as early as 1967, there wasn't all optimism in the lyrics of the album.
Great songwriting by Arthur Lee, great arrangements.
Yes, on Da Capo, and I can imagine,, also on other albums, there's some great stuff as well.
Lucky Cactus Choir and Jester to have seen Love in concert.
Guldbamsen likes Revelation a lot, the long track on Da Capo with all the jamming. Do others like that too? Just being curious.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 11:43
I have the 2 disc anthology that came out some years back and I do like Love...had a few of their singles back in the day. A band that has been overlooked throughout  the years but well worth listening to imo.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 11:44
I'm not a fan and don't own a single album, but I certainly enjoyed seeing them play live at the Canterbury Fayre back in 2002, though "Love" at that time was in reality just Arthur Lee and the rather excellent neo-psych band Baby Lemonade.
What?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 12:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'm not a fan and don't own a single album, but I certainly enjoyed seeing them play live at the Canterbury Fayre back in 2002, though "Love" at that time was in reality just Arthur Lee and the rather excellent neo-psych band Baby Lemonade.
That edition of Love released a live album and DVD containing a full performance of the Forever Changes album (plus a few encores), with orchestral accompaniment.  It was quite good as such "classic album" performances go, and the DVD is a great way to get familiar with the album

Edited by HolyMoly - March 04 2014 at 12:49
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 12:51
Dean: I'm officially jealous! 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 13:11
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

That edition of Love released a live album and DVD containing a full performance of the Forever Changes album (plus a few encores), with orchestral accompaniment.  It was quite good as such "classic album" performances go, and the DVD is a great way to get familiar with the album
...and has been duly ordered Approve
What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 02:05
Finally got around to listening to Forever Changes yesterday afternoon. I really liked how it could combine many very different styles and moods in the same song while staying catchy and poppy. Also interesting how they had a rather melancholic take on the mid-1960s psychedelic pop style but in a different direction from, say, The Doors. (who ideologically had more in common with the "gothic rock" scene popping up 10 years later)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 21:01
Forever Changes is such an original and amazing work, and I have to heartily disagree with the poster who said it hasn’t held up. I notice new subtleties in it every time I play it. It was so unlike anything, and I mean anything else at the time, and as has already been noted, doesn’t fit the psychedelic stereotypes of the time. It’s one of those for which I find it difficult to imagine what I would have thought of it if I’d discovered it upon its release in 1967 (I was nine at the time), though I’m sure I would have found it unusual at least. It was another 20 years before I actually bought it.

The first two, Love and Da Capo, had some great moments too and also stood out from their contemporaries.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 06:43
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've tried hard to like "Forever Changes" but it hasn't aged well.

This without the trying hard to like it bit. "You Set the Scene" is a very good track though.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 12:23
I have their first four albums. Those are good.

Forever Changes is my favorite, obviously. I was surprised to hear that parts of it sounded like a darker version of The Moody Blues' Days Of Future Passed.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 15:26

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

...and has been duly ordered Approve

yes its a beauty that DVD

I do adore the album , every single track. I only acquired it after hearing Radio Caroline play Alone Again Or. That song has a strange nostalgia for me reminding of dull Spanish family holidays when I couldn't bear doing the usual beach thing.
I've no idea though whether the lyrics on tracks like The Red Telephone are ironic or the result of excessive drug use.Smile

Post Reply Post Reply