Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPete & Royce (Greece) for Neo or Eclectic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pete & Royce (Greece) for Neo or Eclectic
    Posted: March 05 2014 at 22:54

"PETE & ROYCE were one of the few local progressive bands operating in the greek late 70s underground scene. Led by painter Panayiotis Tsiros, they have made a name in the underground network, based on lengthy "hazy" concerts and an uncompromising underground attitude. Their sound was deeply rooted in the UK progressive scene, sitting somewhere between the prog/psych sound of the mid-period PINK FLOYD and the mellotron school (FANTASY, CRESSIDA, KESTREL, early B.J.H.), resulting in a style heavily relying on mellow soundscapes. During spring 1980 they captured on self-released vinyl the best tracks of their live shows. "Suffering of Tomorrow", was one of the very first greek private releases (on the mysterious Octoichos label) and the band's debut album, loosely based on the concept of death and decay (it is dedicated to Tsiros' deceased brother). With that exquisite basement feel encountered in the early ‘70s British proto-progressive bands, it is one of the essential Greek progressive albums of all times. Their second (another private press of 500 copies) LP, the notorious "Days of Destruction", has also mind blowing progressive moments! Not accidentally, Pete and Royce are a top noch POKORA's choice". 

"PETE & ROYCE were one of the few local progressive bands operating in such framework (others like PLJ BAND for instance, never identified with the alternative rock audiences in order to achieve a major label deal). Led by painter Pete Tsiros, they have made a name in the underground network, based on lengthy "hazy" concerts and an uncompromising underground attitude. Their sound was deeply rooted in the UK progressive scene, sitting somewhere between the prog/psych sound of mid-period PINK FLOYD and the mellotron school (...)" - http://www.mygreek.fm/artists/Pete-and-Royce

"Pete Tsiros (guitarist/singer) formed the band  around 1978 in Athens together with Lavrentis Tsinaroglou on (guitars/vocals), Basilis Ginos (keyboard), Fontas Chatzis (drums) and Elias Porfyris (bass). They recorded three albums, but the first two are the ones you must have! Suffering of Tomorrow was their debut, DIY project with only 500 copies released. It’s a mixture of early Pink Floyd albums (More album) and Cressida. I was really amazed when I first heard the recordings! I was sure the album is good, but I didn’t expect such an atmospheric sound on their album! Another thing I noticed immediately was the cover artwork, especially on the first album. Their second album called Days of Destruction is better as far it goes for production, but musically in my opinion a slight weaker then the debut. I only wish I could hear them live in some underground clubs in Greece back in the days!

You say to yourself, that’s all fine, but how to get this almost impossible to find, LP? Well, we can all thank to Musicbazz for reissuing both two albums! Digipack came with poster and liner notes about the band. The members are still alive and well and they helped to master this release, so it's fully licensed by the members. The sound on CD is really good, so it is the restored cover artwork. I usually don’t like CD’s very much, but man you gotta check the artwork on this Digipack! It blew my mind!" - http://psychedelicbaby.blogspot.com/2012/03/pete-royce-suffering-of-tomorrow-days.html

"MusicBazz describes the music as thus: "Pete & Royce are considered as one of the top and totally unique psych/progressive rock bands coming from Greece. Wired around Panagiotis "Pete" Tsiros, during the late '70s through to the early '80s, Pete & Royce offered to the European prog underground scene an astounding blend of trippy moods and moves: flashy melodies, hard guitar biting-fuzz, night crawling rhythms, mystifying electronic shifts and strange lyrics like oracles from an unknown book of Apocalypsis (very compatibly, two key members of another top progressive Greek group named Apocalypsis were also involved importantly in the recordings of Pete & Royce, the keyboardist Vasilis Dertilis and the vocalist Giannis Palamidas). Both albums of Pete & Royce are internationally sought after for their dreamy Pink-Floydian atmosphere, the brilliant vocals and guitars of Tsiros himself, the topnotch fiery interplay of all the participating musicians (especially of the key member, keyboardist and co-composer, Vasilis Ghinos) and the rarer but equally mind-blowing cosmic funk moments."  http://unencumberedmusicreviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/pete-royce-greece.html

Edited by Svetonio - March 06 2014 at 00:26
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 01:01
Neo it is not in my opinion, I have listened to their works and they are too retro-styled, somewhere between 70's Psychedelic Rock, light Symphonic and Proto-Prog.Hard to find the perfect category for them.Eclectic or Xover are too possible candidates.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 01:46
Originally posted by apps79 apps79 wrote:

Neo it is not in my opinion, I have listened to their works and they are too retro-styled, somewhere between 70's Psychedelic Rock, light Symphonic and Proto-Prog.Hard to find the perfect category for them.Eclectic or Xover are too possible candidates.

Yea, I understand. I put * Neo * mainly due to the time frame when the original vinyls were issued.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 04:58
Absolutely agree with Apostolis's summing up of this music. Not Neo Prog at all, but definitely a band we need to accomodate on the site somewhere. I guess we need to await further input from any collabs who might pass through here as to where they might go for initial eval.

By the way - great post Svetonio! Approve
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2014 at 05:08
^
 Post Reply Post Reply