Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnderstanding Moonchild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 14:17
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

In the Court of the Crimson King was pretty "well thought out" obviously because Pete Sinfield and Robert Fripp were part of the band.

Possibly ... at least as clear as it might be in the article, and Pete Sinfield might have worked as a sort of "director" to keep things flowing and help define them better, which is not something that most rock/jazz bands do, and the music is considerably inferior because of it.

But it might not work sometimes.

The "perfectionist" side, is a whole other beast. If you have a "vision" in music, the definition of "perfect" is how well you define that vision into the musicians you have and how well they translate your vision. If something sounds wrong, then you likely scratch it or change it! Same thing for a writer! Perfect for me, is "seeing the movie" and being able to "translate it" into words well, so you can also see what I see, and I will tell you right now, REGARDLESS of how/what you or I understand!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 14:19
Originally posted by ebil0505 ebil0505 wrote:

That . . . was beautiful

and serves me right for being rudeOuch
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 14:37
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The improvisation section is centered around creating visuals for the listener ...because of the nature of the playing style on each individual instrument. Not in all cases is this concept of writing intended to be for anyone in the musicians mind....

You want to be careful here. What the audience sees/gets, has nothing to do with the actor/actress/musician. Conversely, what the actor/actress/musician thinks is not also what the audience picks up!

It never is, and this is the one thing that we deceive outselves on all the time. When you think you got this across, something else came across that you did not catch or see at all!

Improvisation is about helping find a/the/any "moment", and how to work with it. In the end, that "moment" is centered around "attention" and your ability to absorb and respond. Improvisation is not just about words, as some theater groups tend to make you think, and when you watch "What's my line?" you can tell right away what the "process" is, which is almost all sequential based on the physical movement, or last words.

For these music examples, it is not what this is about, and it is much more elaborate and way further than the fun exanple that Dean gave us that fit the "What's My Line?" show than it did in music, or a serious acting/film rehearsal, where you ALREADY have a flow, and you simply have to find "details" inside that "flow" that allow you to say your lines/music in a much better defined context.

Only the best of "actors" get to the advanced stage, mnore like 1 out of 40 from your acting school or the like, and the same is for music, and the main reason is because these folks have the ability to zero in the "moment" and make it better.  Without that ability to get that far, and learn more, so you have more to work with, only means that your output will be grossly limited.

Thx

No-one is going to contradict an argument based on an improvised narrative (with or without a text) but I think you're falling into the trap of believing that music is capable of being just as representational as the other arts. It should be self evident that music is probably the most abstract of all the arts and the least endowed in this regard. What is often likened to Painting pictures with sound is a gross fallacy, music expresses only itself (this is the basis of Stravinsky's oft misunderstood quote that all art is cold)

For I consider that music is, by its very nature, essentially powerless to express anything at all, whether a feeling, an attitude of mind, a psychological mood, a phenomenon of nature, etc. Expression has never been an inherent property of music. That is by no means the purpose of its existence. If, as is nearly always the case, music appears to express something, this is only an illusion and not a reality (Igor Stravinsky)

and as Dean has already pointed out several pages ago, ain't  the second part of Moonchild called 'The illusion?'

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 22 2014 at 21:20
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 03:18
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

The improvisation section is centered around creating visuals for the listener ...because of the nature of the playing style on each individual instrument. Not in all cases is this concept of writing intended to be for anyone in the musicians mind....

You want to be careful here. What the audience sees/gets, has nothing to do with the actor/actress/musician. Conversely, what the actor/actress/musician thinks is not also what the audience picks up!

It never is, and this is the one thing that we deceive outselves on all the time. When you think you got this across, something else came across that you did not catch or see at all!

Improvisation is about helping find a/the/any "moment", and how to work with it. In the end, that "moment" is centered around "attention" and your ability to absorb and respond. Improvisation is not just about words, as some theater groups tend to make you think, and when you watch "What's my line?" you can tell right away what the "process" is, which is almost all sequential based on the physical movement, or last words.

For these music examples, it is not what this is about, and it is much more elaborate and way further than the fun exanple that Dean gave us that fit the "What's My Line?" show than it did in music, or a serious acting/film rehearsal, where you ALREADY have a flow, and you simply have to find "details" inside that "flow" that allow you to say your lines/music in a much better defined context.

Only the best of "actors" get to the advanced stage, mnore like 1 out of 40 from your acting school or the like, and the same is for music, and the main reason is because these folks have the ability to zero in the "moment" and make it better.  Without that ability to get that far, and learn more, so you have more to work with, only means that your output will be grossly limited.

Thx

No-one is going to contradict an argument based on an improvised narrative (with or without a text) but I think you're falling into the trap of believing that music is capable of being just as representational as the other arts. It should be self evident that music is probably the most abstract of all the arts and the least endowed in this regard. What is often likened to Painting pictures with sound is a gross fallacy, music expresses only itself (this is the basis of Stravinsky's oft misunderstood quote that all art is cold)

For I consider that music is, by its very nature, essentially powerless to express anything at all, whether a feeling, an attitude of mind, a psychological mood, a phenomenon of nature, etc. Expression has never been an inherent property of music. That is by no means the purpose of its existence. If, as is nearly always the case, music appears to express something, this is only an illusion and not a reality (Igor Stravinsky)

and as Dean has already pointed out several pages ago, ain't  the second part of Moonchild called 'The illusion?'

That is a very interesting concept, do you know when Stravinsky made that statement ? Just thinking it could be as a reaction to the Impressionists and romantic composers attempt to express events of nature, mood of the night, ect. The counter argument would be that any piece of art, is and will always be, just an illusion, but as long as that illusion results in creating reactions in the attendance mind, it indirectly becomes a reality. You can not create a snowstorm on a piano, but you may attemt to create music, call it snowstorm, and create a reaction in the mind, that it sounds like a snowstorm.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 04:01
^ Interesting notion but with much programme music, the overriding temptation to infer from the music what the text asks us to visualize is almost impossible for humans to resist. (Especially if we only have sound without visuals)
Think how many faces of the Virgin Mary are reported regularly in breakfast cereals, on toast and erm..in clouds etcWink)
I guess this is what Dean means by the phenomenon of apophenia (albeit the sequences are not random but motivated)
Unfortunately I don't know when Stravinsky made the 'art is cold' statement but yes, I agree it could certainly have been a reaction to what he might have considered the excessive sentimentality of the romantics etc. I liked the piano music you posted but I would not have imagined a snow-scene were it not for the title, so whether Liszt was successful in depicting a natural phenomenon with music I dunno?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 05:18
No that was also my point, There is no such thing as Dark Metal, music is not a visual, or Melancholic prog, music is not a state of mind, but with lyrics, titles, cover paintings, ect. artists create a "room" for our mind, to reflect. Because it is in our nature to create internal pictures or film, when we listen to music, read books ect.
We have the same thing when people say Gentle Giant sounds medival, they do not, but by combining our assumtions on how medival folk music may have sounded, with coral vocal arangements, they create a beliveable illusion of music from the past.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 05:27
Clap
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 05:58
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

No that was also my point, There is no such thing as Dark Metal, music is not a visual, or Melancholic prog, music is not a state of mind, but with lyrics, titles, cover paintings, ect. artists create a "room" for our mind, to reflect. Because it is in our nature to create internal pictures or film, when we listen to music, read books ect.
We have the same thing when people say Gentle Giant sounds medival, they do not, but by combining our assumtions on how medival folk music may have sounded, with coral vocal arangements, they create a beliveable illusion of music from the past.

Seconded, a damn fine post Clap
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 11:00

... No-one is going to contradict an argument based on an improvised narrative (with or without a text) but I think you're falling into the trap of believing that music is capable of being just as representational as the other arts. It should be self evident that music is probably the most abstract of all the arts and the least endowed in this regard.

That's a matter of opinion. But the more film, theater you do, and write (like I do), the more you see one thing, that I think you are not catching right off.

IT'S THE PERSON, THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

These processes come and go no differently than Michelangelo! There are some minor variations here and there that one can interpret with different words. But the essence is the same. The "silence" exercise is a massive one in acting. And guess what musicians are deathly afraid of working on and with? SILENCE. "Moonchild" is masterful in that respect, though this is not something that we are willing to try and do, when we are in such a mechanical and industrialized society, in order to see a bit of quiet and piece and no sound or noise!

I tend to quote mystics a lot more than artists, for my references into the "unknown" and the "unknowable", mostly because those mystic's works were about defining those moments. Most "artistic" work has become a form of brainiac process, that completely disregards the forms of experiment and other details that are difficult to even put words to.

Try reading something like Aleister Crowley's Moonchild, as an example. Or a Dennis Wheatley story. It will drive you insane, because you never realized how far and how detailed and how insane the inner trip can be, regardless of it being called "magic" in this case, and not "art", because it's visual nature is just as awesome and just as powerful. We're scared shipless of these things!

And this is the reason why things like the Bardo, in the old days, when it was written, considered these many of these events described as dragons or beasts, because we immediately ran the other way!

What Stravinsky is stating is an "illusion" is what you think his work means ...because only he can express each second and moment, like we have no idea. Our own visionary moments, create something that for him is totally different, and not real, and OF COURSE, it is an illusion!

But don't forget the most important part of it all. There is only one "truth" and we're all sitting around it, and seeing different things in it.

ALL I'm doing, is trying to put some words and experiences in those moments, that I have experienced, and I was a directing major, and specialized in psychic and "invisible" exercises with actors, and all of them worked, to the point that when I was directing another play, someone asked me to try more of those exercises. It all depends on your "acceptance" level, and your belief system.

I DON'T HAVE a belief system! I can only tell you what I experience, and have seen! Don't forget that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 15:19
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

I think this could be the single most important post ever made on PAClapClapClap
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 15:55

... No-one is going to contradict an argument based on an improvised narrative (with or without a text) but I think you're falling into the trap of believing that music is capable of being just as representational as the other arts. It should be self evident that music is probably the most abstract of all the arts and the least endowed in this regard.

That's a matter of opinion. But the more film, theater you do, and write (like I do), the more you see one thing, that I think you are not catching right off.

IT'S THE PERSON, THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

These processes come and go no differently than Michelangelo! There are some minor variations here and there that one can interpret with different words. But the essence is the same. The "silence" exercise is a massive one in acting. And guess what musicians are deathly afraid of working on and with? SILENCE. "Moonchild" is masterful in that respect, though this is not something that we are willing to try and do, when we are in such a mechanical and industrialized society, in order to see a bit of quiet and piece and no sound or noise!

I tend to quote mystics a lot more than artists, for my references into the "unknown" and the "unknowable", mostly because those mystic's works were about defining those moments. Most "artistic" work has become a form of brainiac process, that completely disregards the forms of experiment and other details that are difficult to even put words to.

Try reading something like Aleister Crowley's Moonchild, as an example. Or a Dennis Wheatley story. It will drive you insane, because you never realized how far and how detailed and how insane the inner trip can be, regardless of it being called "magic" in this case, and not "art", because it's visual nature is just as awesome and just as powerful. We're scared shipless of these things!

And this is the reason why things like the Bardo, in the old days, when it was written, considered these many of these events described as dragons or beasts, because we immediately ran the other way!

What Stravinsky is stating is an "illusion" is what you think his work means ...because only he can express each second and moment, like we have no idea. Our own visionary moments, create something that for him is totally different, and not real, and OF COURSE, it is an illusion!

But don't forget the most important part of it all. There is only one "truth" and we're all sitting around it, and seeing different things in it.

ALL I'm doing, is trying to put some words and experiences in those moments, that I have experienced, and I was a directing major, and specialized in psychic and "invisible" exercises with actors, and all of them worked, to the point that when I was directing another play, someone asked me to try more of those exercises. It all depends on your "acceptance" level, and your belief system.

I DON'T HAVE a belief system! I can only tell you what I experience, and have seen! Don't forget that!

Sorry Pedro, I can only make sense of about 10% of that (tops) What Stravinsky is stating to be an illusion is what anyone thinks his work means (including the composer)  There is nothing to be inferred from his statement:

music is, by its very nature, essentially powerless to express anything at all, whether a feeling, an attitude of mind, a psychological mood, a phenomenon of nature, etc. Expression has never been an inherent property of music

Why do you continue to compare apples with oranges here? Theatre and cinema can certainly both include music yes, but you are invariably describing the process of directing and coaching actors as if this were analogous to the composition of music. As far as the value of silence goes, Crimson have a lot of catching up to do to reach the masterly level attained by the late John Cage's equally tiresome 4.33. (a conceptual piece of chicanery written just to prove the impossibility of silenceConfused) Just like dialogue, the pauses between the words or the rests between the notes have always been a prerequisite for coherence and we don't require mystics to teach us how to suck eggs.. I don't really think you need to provide further proof that reading Crowley or Wheatley would drive anyone insane. You also make a reference to the liminal state re Tibetan Buddism's Bardo but it's relevance is lost on me. (No-one died in the making of Moonchild did they?Wink Not sure if I have a belief system or if I can even guess how many 'truths' there might be, but I am sure I seldom believe a word you ever type.

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 23 2014 at 16:19
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 20:19
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ ... 'Cause it's the same track as on the album? ... Ermm

He's referring to sound quality. . Some songs are strongly meant for the high fidelity treatment.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 20:40
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

So...understanding or appreciating Moonchild is about social status and class...?
Confused

It makes a change, usually anything to do with understanding or appreciating abstract forms of music is presented from a perspective of elitism and delivered in a patronising manner...
Wink

Hope you didn't interpret Baldjean acting in this manner. That would be unfair.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 21:42
After 6 pages of banter, I am no closer to understanding Moonchild any more than I have for the last 25 years - a beautiful introduction leading in to some magical, avant-garde sonic expressionism. Always loved this outstanding piece of Crimso. Tinkly improv isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 01:50
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

So...understanding or appreciating Moonchild is about social status and class...?
Confused

It makes a change, usually anything to do with understanding or appreciating abstract forms of music is presented from a perspective of elitism and delivered in a patronising manner...
Wink

Hope you didn't interpret Baldjean acting in this manner. That would be unfair.
Heaven forfend Shocked

Wink
What?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 10:55
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

After 6 pages of banter, I am no closer to understanding Moonchild any more than I have for the last 25 years - a beautiful introduction leading in to some magical, avant-garde sonic expressionism. Always loved this outstanding piece of Crimso. Tinkly improv isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I'm not sure what there is to 'understand'.....its a nice melodic piece with some improvisational noodling at the end.
What I don't get is the 6 pages of 'banter' about it.
Embarrassed
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 11:02

I'm not sure what there is to 'understand'.....its a nice melodic piece with some improvisational noodling at the end.
Embarrassed

Whether justified or not, the track has always polarised opinion and Prog fans do love to talk don't we?
One man's cup of tea is another's piranha infested whirlpoolWink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 11:53

Embarrassed

I think, in the end, that most people are afraid of things they don't know, or understand. Because "improvisation" would, normally have no form, that would be a threat to their interpretation of the bible that tells you what to do and accept.

Can't have any ideas about anything. It's illegal, you know! (The City of Lost Children)
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 14:12

Embarrassed

I think, in the end, that most people are afraid of things they don't know, or understand. Because "improvisation" would, normally have no form, that would be a threat to their interpretation of the bible that tells you what to do and accept.

Can't have any ideas about anything. It's illegal, you know! (The City of Lost Children)

What a bunch of elitist twaddle. "Most" people on this board are fairly well-versed in music, and I would venture a guess that it is not a matter of being incapable of understanding the series of tinkles, pops, errant arpeggios and mellotronic mumbles that make up the last part of "Moonchild"; rather, it is that they understand that it is improvisatory but they just don't care for the series of tinkles, pops, errant arpeggios and mellotronic mumbles that make up the improvisation. Count me in that camp.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 05:36

"Tinkly improv" ? Well said.
It isn't very easy to muster up descriptive words to describe MOONCHILD.
It's strange, beautiful and kind of intense at times. One of KC's best.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>