Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's Talk Steven Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's Talk Steven Wilson
    Posted: March 08 2014 at 10:51
A modern day prog (and other genres) superhero!

This interview inspired me to pursue this thread.   Along with, of course, his amazing solo album and body of work(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOvo_nESkCI
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 10:57
Again?
Don't get me wrong, I happen to adore the guy, but a simple search of the forums will show you just how much he's been talked about: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/search_results_topics.asp?SearchID=20140308105423&KW=wilson

Edit: Whoops, I didn't see you were new to the forum, sorry about thatEmbarrassed Please carry on.

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 08 2014 at 10:58
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ProgVanWinkle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 10:59
Being a newbie, I can delete if it's possible.   No problem, is it doable?

I didn't see a thread actually titled for him...but it is a vast place!

Edited by ProgVanWinkle - March 08 2014 at 11:00
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 11:01
No no no, and I'm sorry for my initial reaction. Let's see what happens - who knows maybe we'll get to talking about something new hereSmile

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 08 2014 at 11:08
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 11:03
Let me start out by saying that I am just about the biggest fan of his first solo album. The dark ambient electronics, the post-punk flourishes, the angular dark motifs - as well as that ever so thrilling red thread that runs through it's entirety - all of that makes it into one of my favourite modern Prog Rock releases. 

- Douglas Adams
ProgVanWinkle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 11:08
That's  awesome and the certainly not the one I would have picked.  I do love Harmony Korine though!

But really, that's what makes this guy so amazing, he versatility.

That's why the interview I posted REALLY grabbed me.   The interviewer really asked good questions about all of his projects.  

His answer basically, is that everything he's done is on hold.   And that his solo career is a situation where he feels able to take all of those elements he expressed in those past projects and integrate them into one place with the amazing musicians he now works with.

His observations on the 70s were fascinating to me.  He dedicates a considerable amount of time in the interview speculating what his music and career would have been like in the context of the 70s.  Interesting how he comments that  many younger fans (of all things) have come to him because of his work with those 70s classic album re-dos.

Loved the whole interview, my best look yet into what drives Steven and a great update on him in general.

I think that interview along opens up all kinds of talking points about him, and prog in general. 

Edited by ProgVanWinkle - March 08 2014 at 11:12
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 12:13
First one's my favourite of the three solo albums as well. But I still prefer pre-2000 Porcupine Tree to the remaider of his output.
Bigger on the inside.
Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2014 at 18:11
For me, best of his last works is what he did in Storm Corrosion's first album... It's masterpiece that leaves me speechles :D So emotional and yet played with such simplicity and minimalism. Although i'm not listening to it more often then twice a week as it's so sad and full of fear... Am i the only one loving this album so much? On PA it's very underrated imo :/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2014 at 04:13
I love all of his 3 albums and most of his PT output (Deadwing was their peak imo). Other projects like Blackfield I have tended to avoid so that's something I would like to know more about.
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 14:52
I just love his two last solo albums.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 16:04
Let's talk Phil Collins 
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 16:16
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Let's talk Phil Collins 

((( Nooooo...)))
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2014 at 21:40
I have come to like Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson quiet a bit, though I'm a latecomer (barely since last year). From Porcupine Tree, so far, I have liked "Coma Divine" best, and from his solo career, I didn't think he would be able to top Grace for Drowning, and I thought he was rushing to release a new album. But Raven ended up being even better for me, and I think better than most Porcupine Tree too. And the concert was also simply excellent.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2014 at 19:51
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I have come to like Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson quiet a bit, though I'm a latecomer (barely since last year). From Porcupine Tree, so far, I have liked "Coma Divine" best, and from his solo career, I didn't think he would be able to top Grace for Drowning, and I thought he was rushing to release a new album. But Raven ended up being even better for me, and I think better than most Porcupine Tree too. And the concert was also simply excellent.

I absolutely agree. Thumbs Up
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 08:17
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Let me start out by saying that I am just about the biggest fan of his first solo album. The dark ambient electronics, the post-punk flourishes, the angular dark motifs - as well as that ever so thrilling red thread that runs through it's entirety - all of that makes it into one of my favourite modern Prog Rock releases. 

Absolutely. I'm late to the party where Wilson is concerned and have never been able to really warm up to Porcupine Tree, but I simply love Insurgentes. Even brought out the full five stars for that one. Not very impressed with The Raven, though, and Grace For Drowning sits somewhere in between the other two.

Edited by LinusW - March 12 2014 at 08:17
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 11:38
Strangely enough, I don't care for Insurgentes at all.  I love Grace For Drowning and The Raven albums though, and would say I probably prefer the former, for it's off the wall jazzy flavor and more interesting compositions.  The Raven is very concise and well crafted, but because of that seems a bit cold.  There is no denying the brilliance of it though.

I also love Porcupine Tree, mostly the early albums, but In Absentia and Deadwing are great albums as well.  Didn't care for the last two PTree albums, though The Incident was not bad, just not up to their usual standards (and Fear Of A Blank Planet just doesn't do much of anything for me).

I have not heard any of Wilson's other projects though, aside from a couple Blackfield songs which were okay, but nothing that made me want to listen any further.

Oh, I do have the Storm Corrosion album and really enjoy that one, as it seems a nice blend of Grace For Drowning and Harvest.

Edited by infandous - March 12 2014 at 11:39
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 13:21
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Strangely enough, I don't care for Insurgentes at all.  I love Grace For Drowning and The Raven albums though, and would say I probably prefer the former, for it's off the wall jazzy flavor and more interesting compositions.  The Raven is very concise and well crafted, but because of that seems a bit cold.  There is no denying the brilliance of it though.

I also love Porcupine Tree, mostly the early albums, but In Absentia and Deadwing are great albums as well.  Didn't care for the last two PTree albums, though The Incident was not bad, just not up to their usual standards (and Fear Of A Blank Planet just doesn't do much of anything for me).

I have not heard any of Wilson's other projects though, aside from a couple Blackfield songs which were okay, but nothing that made me want to listen any further.

Oh, I do have the Storm Corrosion album and really enjoy that one, as it seems a nice blend of Grace For Drowning and Harvest.
I feel about the same as you Mike regarding his various works.
Really like the early PT albums better  and everything up to and including Deadwing is very good but I thought Fear was boring. Incident was just ok. Insurgentes didn't do much for me and Grace For Drowning was decent but Storm Corrosion I find  a little boring at times. Haven't yet picked up Raven but I will eventually.
When I play him I usually pull out Stupid Dream, Significance, Lightbulb Sun, and Absentia.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2014 at 22:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Strangely enough, I don't care for Insurgentes at all. I love Grace For Drowning and The Raven albums though, and would say I probably prefer the former, for it's off the wall jazzy flavor and more interesting compositions. The Raven is very concise and well crafted, but because of that seems a bit cold. There is no denying the brilliance of it though.I also love Porcupine Tree, mostly the early albums, but In Absentia and Deadwing are great albums as well. Didn't care for the last two PTree albums, though The Incident was not bad, just not up to their usual standards (and Fear Of A Blank Planet just doesn't do much of anything for me).I have not heard any of Wilson's other projects though, aside from a couple Blackfield songs which were okay, but nothing that made me want to listen any further.Oh, I do have the Storm Corrosion album and really enjoy that one, as it seems a nice blend of Grace For Drowning and Harvest.

I feel about the same as you Mike regarding his various works.
Really like the early PT albums better and everything up to and including Deadwing is very good but I thought Fear was boring. Incident was just ok. Insurgentes didn't do much for me and Grace For Drowning was decent but Storm Corrosion I find a little boring at times. Haven't yet picked up Raven but I will eventually.

When I play him I usually pull out Stupid Dream, Significance, Lightbulb Sun, and Absentia.

You should really check out Raven then. For me it's much better than everything else you said, and in some ways I kind of agree with you about the other albums. I do like most up to a certain degree, specially "Grace for Drowning", which I feel is a very special album... but it can get a bit slow at times, you must be in the mood to listen to it. However, The Raven is great all around, more energetic, more prog, etc. For me the best album he has released, including the ones I know from Porcupine Tree. You should at least listen to it so you may know if you would like it.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 12:08
yes let talk all things Steven Wilson. apart from his work with......
PT/SW/NM/BF add his remastering there his work on Fish Sunsets On Empires..........its a      album.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 15:36
Let's talk about Steven doing that Cousin It thing with his hair when he performs live.... LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>