Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's Talk Steven Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 16:00
His attention to sound quality as a music engineer is excellent, pretty much everything in the PT and SW catalog is very well mixed and mastered. Which is a big reason for his success in remixing for King Crimson and others, including some of the reissued PT material like Lightbulb Sun.

One of my best sounding CDs is Deadwing, and I am not a big CD fan, his vinyl work is outstanding IMO. Like many here, I am wondering when/if there will be new PT material as I don't see him topping The Raven anytime soon from a solo perspective. I do like Blackfield, although apperantly he is done with that project now...could be a sign that he is trying to free up time for Porcupine Tree. A five year hiatus from The Incident last release seems like sufficient time to charge the batteries.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 13:19
^I sure hope soBig smile

I'd love to see Porcupine Tree do something new. 5 years though - has it really been that long?Shocked
Wow, I remember pre-ordering The Incident and then being somewhat under whelmed, when I popped it in my stereo. I did like a few tracks off it, but it didn't 'reveal' itself to me, before I went and saw them live on the subsequent tour. Afterwards I started playing the album again and something clicked. It's no Sky Moves Sideways or Metanoia sure, but it's an album I listen to on regular basis (if I'm in the vicinity of my collection) and the one that most of my female friends can get with. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 13:24
Mr Wilson has within him the genius to give us Raven....I hope that he decides that his next release will be even more OTT and bombastic ! but then again I'm biased coz I can remember him showing me & Roj some licks with the echo-box that his dad had made him.....Nostalgia !!!
Vincent Carr's SUMIC View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 15:51
As a fan of 'older' prog music (like most folks around here I'm guessing!) I was curious when there was lots of noise in 2011 around 'Grace for Drowning', so I checked it out and like what I heard enough to buy the album.

A couple of full listens later and that was it for me - hooked!

So then I acquired 'Insurgentes', 'Storm Corrosion' and the 'Get All You Deserve' DVD. I do love 'Insurgentes' but not as much as 'Grace for Drowning', for me 'Grace for Drowning' is a big step forward, and watching the DVD just really made me want to see that band live, which I did. 'Storm Corrosion' is also something I put on a par with 'Grace for Drowning', it's a really subtle and moving soundscape for me.

'The Raven' was my album of the year last year, no question!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 16:03
^ The GFD Tour was amazing...we are lucky here in Seattle that he likes our city, tons of used vinyl record stores for him to browse before a show. Reports said he was spotted at a few before his show here in 2012...
AmbianceMan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 20:17
I was a latecomer to PT (FOABP and The Incident).  I was already a longtime classic prog listener, albeit more mainstream like Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull.  I'm also an avid metalhead and jazz fan.  I join the camp that appreciates him more with each album, although I seemed to like Insurgentes as a whole compared to GFD.  Raven was easily my favorite album to date, even going on a trip just to see the Raven tour live.  I've only seen him go up in my appreciation of what he does with each release.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 22:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ The GFD Tour was amazing...we are lucky here in Seattle that he likes our city, tons of used vinyl record stores for him to browse before a show. Reports said he was spotted at a few before his show here in 2012...

I didn't get to see the GFD tour... didn't make up my mind about it, and kind of regreted it because it was such a good album, and I have come to understand that the best time to se a concert is when the artist is touring a great album. However, next year he came up with an even better album, and it seems to me, an even better show, which I went to see and really enjoyed a lot. By the way, the place where I saw Steven Wilson's concert was the same place where the GFD DVD was filmed... so if I had made my mind to see them the year before I would have attended that very show.
Rihanna View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 01:34
He is the best!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2014 at 17:26
Originally posted by Rihanna Rihanna wrote:

He is the best!
Maybe he can remix some of your music..?

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2014 at 08:10
^LOL
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 12:24
I think that Mr Wilson has had some input in the new Opeth release - Been told that it's an atheistic themed release....is this in response to Transatlantic??
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I think that Mr Wilson has had some input in the new Opeth release - Been told that it's an atheistic themed release....is this in response to Transatlantic??

Transatlantic
Genesis
Neal Morse
Spock's Beard
Ulver
John Coltrane
...the list could be endless
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 13:56
When was the last Genesis release? I distinctly feel that Akerfeldt's enmity to religion will be further explored in this latest release. S. Wilson has said that one track is the best thing that Opeth has produced! - Something special then.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 14:03
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

When was the last Genesis release? I distinctly feel that Akerfeldt's enmity to religion will be further explored in this latest release. S. Wilson has said that one track is the best thing that Opeth has produced! - Something special then.....

Just in general since there is influence by Genesis.....I could careless of Akerfeldt's religious feelings, as long as he does not get indignant about it towards one group or another.

Just make good music..I too have read where SW said it was a great pc, time will tell.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 14:21
Opeth is ALWAYS good music!!!
Akerfeldt is perhaps the most gifted guitarist on the earth at the present......but again lots of people units would disagree
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 14:57
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I sure hope soBig smile
I'd love to see Porcupine Tree do something new. 5 years though - has it really been that long?Shocked
Wow, I remember pre-ordering The Incident and then being somewhat under whelmed, when I popped it in my stereo. I did like a few tracks off it, but it didn't 'reveal' itself to me, before I went and saw them live on the subsequent tour. Afterwards I started playing the album again and something clicked. It's no Sky Moves Sideways or Metanoia sure, but it's an album I listen to on regular basis (if I'm in the vicinity of my collection) and the one that most of my female friends can get with. 

I assume you went to the Copenhagen concert in Store Vega right? I was there with my wife too and it was an amazing show. Even my wife who had never heard Porcupine Tree before loved the show and still enjoy when I put Porcupine Tree on the stereo.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 15:08
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I sure hope soBig smile

I assume you went to the Copenhagen concert in Store Vega right? I was there with my wife too and it was an amazing show. Even my wife who had never heard Porcupine Tree before loved the show and still enjoy when I put Porcupine Tree on the stereo.

Yup Large VegaLOL

Speaking of women - I was very surprised to see so many at the gig. Not only elderly school teachers in Icelandic sweaters but chicks with mascara and small bags you can't fit anything into.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 17:02
Yep prog is trendy these days
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 09:49
its not here where I live `n` that's
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Hnrz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 06:29
I think Raven was good, but I prefer Insurgentes, Storm Corrosion, and some No Man and PT releases.

I really love how dark and experimental Insurengentes was. Many of the songs are brutal yet beautiful, such innovative use of drone and bleak soundscapes. Significant Other is such a brilliant track.

Also I'm another that really enjoys storm corrosion. For me it is an example of minimal and experimental music that just works so well. The last track has such sparse instrumentation but it is still captivating and emotionally effective, the same with the title track.

As for PT I have a strong affection for Stupid Dream and In Absentia, as I feel the PT formula was most prominent and succesful on these albums.Furthermore I would completely recommend Together we're Stranger by No-Man as one of the more intimate and emotional SW albums.

Edited by Hnrz - July 04 2014 at 06:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>