FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2014 NFL Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 37>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 23:58
Same # they used to take Brady Quinn & Brandon Weeden. A good pedigree there.

I was really hoping the Cowboys took him when he fell that far.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 00:20
Also,

before the draft I thought that the best position for Houston to be in was to take Clowney #1 and then take Carr at #1 of round two. That option is sstill open for them, and even though the name has some tarnished history in that city IMO they would easily be in consideration for "winning" the draft (at least the early rounds).
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 04:16
The fact of the matter is, for Houston, they don't have a QB worthy of starting for them right now, so they have to do something.  I read somewhere that there's a rumor going around that they could be in talks with the Pats to trade for Ryan Mallett.  For what, I don't know, but I have to think there are better options out there.  Also, it sounds like Mike Glennon could be on the move from Tampa and if it's true, Houston should pounce on that one.  That guy showed a few times last year that he has the potential to be not only a great QB, but to also look like Napoleon Dynamite while doing it.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 08:42
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

The Lions took TE Eric Ebron from North Carolina with the 10th pick.  I'd be happy about this if I didn't feel like Stafford already has enough weapons.  The defense needs major attention, especially in the secondary, and I see all these DBs being taken in the first round and I just shake my head. 

Pettigrew has off the charts measurables but he isn't good. You don't have a good WR3. I think an elite TE prospect was welcome and another weapon needed.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 09:58
The St. Louis rams defense looks awesome on paper. Should give Seattle and SF fits for years to come. I believe Aaron Donald was one of the best defensive players available. Hate to see the Rams get him.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 10:14
This is true, but as long as they tie their future to Sam Bradford I'll be doubtful. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 10:16
Who could they have picked as an upgrade at QB?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 11:39
Sam Bradford hasn't even been average in the league so I would say you could upgrade with some replacement level / aging vets or by drafting JFF/Bortles.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 11:41
It was pretty awesome to watch Manziel as team after team passed on him,because I detest the entitled prick.Glad the Browns picked him though,because it allows my defense to knock him flat 2 games a year.

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 12:02
LOL  My Steelers will get first crack at him.

Sigh...we get another linebacker in the draft.  Although a fast one.  Was hoping for a cornerback, Dennard was still there at 15.  Hopefully more help for the defense in the next rounds.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 12:10
LOL! @ Cleveland 

The fan reaction video was great, it was like each one of them won the lottery. So much joy and hope for the city right now. 
In 2 years we'll be ridiculing his epic bustLOL

OK OK  I have no idea. He may be fine. I really don't know much, anyone know how Texas A&M works? If it's a somewhat normal offense, he may develop/turn out fine. If it's one of those whacky ones, sorry I still have not seen one really work out yet. 

While I do love the pick, still a bit on edge about the O Line. I still want to say should've taken the best Tackle available, what's the point of another good WR if Eli is on his back? Buuuuut still plenty to go. If the Giants address the line needs all will be fine. 

Detroit has added a real offensive weapon. That team could be even more terrifying now. 

If Clowney decides he wants to play now..Houston can have some kind of crazy defense. Still have to wonder about their QB situation though. Derek Carr was well regarded and is still there....imagine if Houston was to take Carr! LOL

Also: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. 
That is all. 

Edited by JJLehto - May 09 2014 at 12:13
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 14:51
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Detroit has added a real offensive weapon. That team could be even more terrifying now.

LOL I have to laugh at this statement, only because I look at the last couple of seasons when they were supposed to take off and be a real contender in the North.  Hell, they couldn't even win the division with Rodgers and Cutler being out!  Stafford and that supposedly "high flying offense" couldn't seem to find their own @$$ at times.  Yes, I seem like a pessimist, but I prefer to look at it as though I'm a realist.  I've lived with the reality of the team's terrible decisions year after year for 20+ seasons now. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 15:37
Eh, thing is I never was tooooo sold on them personally because they were lacking on defense (you still need some to win). In fact, that pretty much goes into what you said about failing to take an injured division. 
As for offense, as beastly as Calvin is you can't rely on just 1 WR for all your output. Especially since Stafford can develop Calvin addiction, like Eli had with Plaxico. You just mindlessly lob balls in his direction and pray it'll work out. LOL

That said, Stafford has been getting better, and he has another weapon now so that is still a scary thought. 

Edited by JJLehto - May 09 2014 at 15:38
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 15:44
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

It was pretty awesome to watch Manziel as team after team passed on him,because I detest the entitled prick.Glad the Browns picked him though,because it allows my defense to knock him flat 2 games a year.

Here, here !

And thank you to ESPN for making this little twit bigger than he will ever be....Hopefully the Manziel family DVR all that krapp so they can watch the only high light of his NFL career.

ESPN you put so much attention on that guy and left all those other hard working legit NFL players out to dry....disrespectful IMO.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 17:42
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Sam Bradford hasn't even been average in the league so I would say you could upgrade with some replacement level / aging vets or by drafting JFF/Bortles.

I give a little benefit to Bradford as he hasn't really had weapons and has had a couple different offensive systems to learn in his small tenure in St. Louis. He does seem a bit prone to injury, which for me, is his biggest issue.

That said...if there isn't improvement this year, time to move on. I do think getting a quality/veteran QB to back him up is a good idea though.

Edited by Man With Hat - May 09 2014 at 17:42
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 18:51
Yeah, Bradford's best year was his rookie year which was quite solid, if not spectacular, and had moments of that "it" you want in a QB. I really do think his lack of, most everything, and that horrid O line is to blame. Gotta feel for the guy, it's like David Carr, entire career shot because of a sh*tty team. 

True though, regardless of reason you need to take the axe eventually. Agreed, get a new QB and if this year is no good from Bradford he's gotta get the boot. 

WOW. Josh Gordon faces a possible year suspension for another failed drug test. 
I really feel awful for Cleveland fans. After the high of drafting Johnny this could be a crash harder than heroin itselfLOL
If this was to happen, what a blow to the balls for the Browns. 

Edited by JJLehto - May 09 2014 at 18:51
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 19:13
^ I do like Gordon, and I feel bad for Cleveland, but I can't help but giggle.
horsewithteeth11 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 10:33
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Manziel's going to the Browns with the 26th pick.

Sorry, Manziel went to the Browns with the 22nd pick. 
That was one where I was sincerely hoping Goodell would walk up to the mic and say, "With the 22nd pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns ruin the career of..."
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 10:34
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Same # they used to take Brady Quinn & Brandon Weeden. A good pedigree there.

I was really hoping the Cowboys took him when he fell that far.
Unfortunately, the Cowboys have been unexcitingly drafting well. Which is something I figured I would never say about Jerry Jones.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2014 at 10:37
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

The St. Louis rams defense looks awesome on paper. Should give Seattle and SF fits for years to come. I believe Aaron Donald was one of the best defensive players available. Hate to see the Rams get him.
I thought it was curious that they didn't immediately go for their secondary. That's where they need the biggest improvement defensively. I guess they're figuring with their front 4, they're going to bring enough pressure that most passing attacks won't be an issue. We'll see though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 37>