Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe New Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 19:15
In the "A Passion Play - an extended performance" box of 2013 we can see in great perspective the recording and memoiries of every band member talking about the album and the days, not to be missed!

Interesting you say that Martin jump that way, enjoying himself - Today he said that playing the entire APP in tour was a mistake. Strange this things, uh?

APP is a masterpiece that is only surpassed by the discussions around it!
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 20:14
I totally agree, A Passion Ply is an underated prog masterpiece.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 20:56
And seriously, for all of those who agree with us (or disagree!), buy the box "An Extended Performance". It is a document of the music. As I like to put it: "A Passion Play" is a puzzle that we go on and work every now and then. The box add not just more pieces, it extend the picture itself.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 21:06
I like the composer and singer more than the band itself. Outside TAAB, I like songs here and there, but no entire album. 
the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 04:34
Can't believe there hasn't been any chat on here concerning the Deluxe version of Minstrel in the Gallery.Truly awesome! Once again Steven Wilson has remixed the album and made another good job.It especially stands out on the acoustic parts.Three BBC versions are good,with Aqualung sounding really sharp.The main reason to listen to this though is the Live recording from 1975.Some wonderful renditions of classic Tull,Minstrel in the Gallery being particularly strong!Anybody else heard this yet?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 04:51
I'm an 'mid-period-school' Tull fan (well, my first Tull LP's were Aqualung and the 'leatherette' booklet-LP of Living In The Past) way back in 1988.   Tried every album and only hung on to 13 of theirs. The ones I find most memorable :
This Was
Thick As A Brick
A Passion Play
Songs From The Wood
Heavy Horses
'A '
................and to a lesser extent - Aqualung, Stormwatch and Broadsword.
Just amazing mostly, wahtever.........
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 05:40
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I'm an 'mid-period-school' Tull fan (well, my first Tull LP's were Aqualung and the 'leatherette' booklet-LP of Living In The Past) way back in 1988.   Tried every album and only hung on to 13 of theirs. The ones I find most memorable :
This Was
Thick As A Brick
A Passion Play
Songs From The Wood
Heavy Horses
'A '
................and to a lesser extent - Aqualung, Stormwatch and Broadsword.
Just amazing mostly, wahtever.........

Nice list.
Have loved Tull since early eighties.Just a real good band who recorded some gems in their back catalogues.
My favourites are:
Stand Up.
Minstrel in the Gallery.
Songs From The Wood.
Heavy Horses.
Aqualung.
But will listen to most except the awful Under Wraps!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 05:53
^ Oh yeah, I forgot Minstrel.........Barrie is PHENOMENAL............
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 06:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Oh yeah, I forgot Minstrel.........Barrie is PHENOMENAL............

Along with Clive Bunker,BB is the best!
Love his drum solo during Conundrum on Bursting Out!
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 07:07
Originally posted by the lighthouse keepe the lighthouse keepe wrote:

Can't believe there hasn't been any chat on here concerning the Deluxe version of Minstrel in the Gallery.Truly awesome! Once again Steven Wilson has remixed the album and made another good job.It especially stands out on the acoustic parts.Three BBC versions are good,with Aqualung sounding really sharp.The main reason to listen to this though is the Live recording from 1975.Some wonderful renditions of classic Tull,Minstrel in the Gallery being particularly strong!Anybody else heard this yet?

YES! I heard! Its awesome. Minstrel in one of my favorite Tull albums, pure classic. "Baker Street Muse" always help me when I'am a little down... and the live album is amazing!

By the way, I know that Geddy Lee and Alex Liefson are fans of Jethro Tull (I saw much of the guitar sound of Martin in Liefson) but does anyone else see the conections between Neil Peart and Barrie Barlow? Its like what Barlow gestate in TAAB and APP he full explores in Minstrel in the Gallery. And he sounds like Neil Peart - or Neil Peart sounds like him, thats the point.

Anyone else think about that?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 08:00
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

YES! I heard! Its awesome. Minstrel in one of my favorite Tull albums, pure classic. "Baker Street Muse" always help me when I'am a little down... and the live album is amazing!

By the way, I know that Geddy Lee and Alex Liefson are fans of Jethro Tull (I saw much of the guitar sound of Martin in Liefson) but does anyone else see the conections between Neil Peart and Barrie Barlow? Its like what Barlow gestate in TAAB and APP he full explores in Minstrel in the Gallery. And he sounds like Neil Peart - or Neil Peart sounds like him, thats the point.

Anyone else think about that?

Absolutely!Around the Moving Pictures-era Rush,you can here the similarities between them both.The track Minstrel in the Gallery,and No Lullaby are my favourite BB tracks featuring him.
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 18:50
Talking about influences... why did few bands list Jethro Tull as influnce? I have read about Iron Maiden, Rush, Joe Bonamassa and Blood Ceremony...

With Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Songs From the Wood (so pioneer and full of stuff to develop in music) I always though that few bands declare Tull as an important group.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 23:32
My favorite albums:
This Was
Benefit
Aqualung
Thick as a Brick
Minstrel in the Gallery

I used to love listening to them with some good ale late at night with friends in front of a bonfire in the woods. That's the best way to do it.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2015 at 23:38

Talking about influences... why did few bands list Jethro Tull as influnce? I have read about Iron Maiden, Rush, Joe Bonamassa and Blood Ceremony.  With Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Songs From the Wood (so pioneer and full of stuff to develop in music) I always though that few bands declare Tull as an important group.

It's a good question;  I imagine partly it's because Tull were so unique that they were hard to emulate and almost impossible to imitate, as opposed to Zeppelin.   Also, I often hear a Tull influence in artists who don't seem to want to admit it, such as Yngwie Malmsteen or Randy Rhoads.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 00:30
There's quite a few RPI bands that have strong Tull influences - either that, or any Prog featuring flute prominently is often 'Tull influenced' (whether they're familiar with the band or not....).
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 06:18
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Talking about influences... why did few bands list Jethro Tull as influnce? I have read about Iron Maiden, Rush, Joe Bonamassa and Blood Ceremony.  With Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Songs From the Wood (so pioneer and full of stuff to develop in music) I always though that few bands declare Tull as an important group.

It's a good question;  I imagine partly it's because Tull were so unique that they were hard to emulate and almost impossible to imitate, as opposed to Zeppelin.   Also, I often hear a Tull influence in artists who don't seem to want to admit it, such as Yngwie Malmsteen or Randy Rhoads.

Its bizarre, right? I always though about that while listening other bands... that are so many things in common and it would be so much nice knowing if the conections are truly there. I still see a lot of Martin Barre in Alex Liefson and he solos. And this days I listen something of Neo-Prog that was really similar to the electric fluteless parts of Thick as a Brick.

Ian is the Jimi Hendrix of flute - if you play the flute, you know and probably like Jethro Tull, thats applied even to classical musicians now a days...

About the Italians... well, its no surprise that the Tullian connvention happens there... I guess that almost all RPI are influenced by Jethro Tull. PFM and Quella Vechia Locanda being the finest examples.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 08:31

The live disc from the Minstrel reissue is astounding - best live tull available I think.  Ian voice is leaps and bounds better than even Bursting out from three years later.  I found it relevatory.  I secretly hope there is more live material from 72-75 out there, waiting to be brought back to life.  Maybe from the PP tour, a show with PP as the concert, and the full TAAB as the encore!  That is the holy grail in my book.

And, i've never been more enraptured with Barlow's drumming than on this disc - it is extraordinary.

Side note - very glad to have a Jeffery live album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 09:20
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

The live disc from the Minstrel reissue is astounding - best live tull available I think.  Ian voice is leaps and bounds better than even Bursting out from three years later.  I found it relevatory.  I secretly hope there is more live material from 72-75 out there, waiting to be brought back to life.  Maybe from the PP tour, a show with PP as the concert, and the full TAAB as the encore!  That is the holy grail in my book.

And, i've never been more enraptured with Barlow's drumming than on this disc - it is extraordinary.

Side note - very glad to have a Jeffery live album.

Can't believe this recording has been kept from us for so long.Shame on you IA !!!

GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 19:44
I dont think that will be anothers live records (from 71-74) good enough to official release... :(

The next boxes will be referent to "Too old for rock'n roll..." & "Songs From the Wood" - my guesses is that the extras will be the TV special from 1976 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFYWy-Pwymc) and the live presentation in the Hippodrome (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGRcx3PsIlY), one of the best live performances of Tull if you ask me...

This boxes are getting one better than the other, I'am really into the next ones.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 20:04
Yep - the Golders Green live performance is OUTSTANDING. We even get Velvet Green here, surely one of the top Tull tracks of all time (.......it is for me, anyway......)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>