Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why do so many bands do just one double album?!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy do so many bands do just one double album?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 20:57
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I don't know about 'the padding and filler myth', but I own most of the double's mentioned as wel as some others and when I do play them (not as much as the single albums by the same bands btw), I usually play only one of the discs/vinyl sides because the other has weaker material. But maybe that's just me.........
Which half of The Lamb Lies Down, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Quadrophenia, Tommy, The Wall, Electric Ladyland, Exile on Mainstreamstreet, 666, Tanz der Lemminge, Focus 3, Aerial is the weaker half. (Deliberately ignoring double live album of course because it's a well known fact that bands put all their weaker material in the second half of their live sets and save the really weak filler for the very end, and the weak padding songs for the encore).
That's a solid question regarding those specific albums.....and I'll attempt to give you my thoughts on them.
Weaker (and padding and filler..) indeed might be the wrong word;....perhaps we should just say parts we all prefer over others.
There are several parts of Lamb I think are 'weaker' than the others but it's kind of spread out on the 2 LP's.
On Tales I think sides 2 and 3 are 'weaker'.
I prefer the first LP on Quadrophenia....doesn't make the second 'weaker' except to me.
Tommy is all about the same quality to me and excellent overall.
I like the second LP marginally  better on The Wall probably due to Comfortably Numb.
On Exiles I prefer the first Lp though the second isn't bad or 'mediocre' per se.
I think most of Ladyland is pretty solid also...though Voodo Child on the second side is my favorite track so I think that side is 'better' for me.
I honestly haven't played 666 or Tanz enough in recent memory to have an opinion and I don't own Focus 3.

So for me it's more about which discs hit my favorite spot and sometimes the better tracks are scattered over the two Lp's so it's hard to say which LP is 'weaker' on some doubles. As I said I have a tendency to play one or the other LP's on doubles due to personal preference.....'weaker' becomes  a subjective term as it always does here on PA regarding quality and what is 'this or that'.

Edited by dr wu23 - March 17 2014 at 20:59
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 21:40
Ayreon has a lot of double albums.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2014 at 21:47
Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

I was thinking the same, Ayreon releases to date (with the exception of Actual Fantasy) have been a double albums, I think
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 03:24
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

The Lamb is mostly filler to my ears.

Hold me back... somebody hold me back.....

No need to attack me! Cool I love the Gabe and I love Genesis, but I'm afraid I just don't like The Lamb. It's a prime example of a lyrics-first approach in my mind - music should always come first. 
On the other hand, I just listened to Tales from Topographic Oceans - good stuff! 

I have to disagree with you Logos,
as I do like this track, considering I too pay no attention to lyrics (to date I still have not memorized these lyrics), no idea really except that it starts with a fab crescendo, turned popish and then ahahaha fab and again a tad pop with added funk whatever I love the build up and the feel sound of i.e. club 54 aka Saturday night vibe too lolol hug to you
P.S. I too think that music should come first to lyrics
Lamb was a music first album, as were all Genesis albums. This one is infamously so as any Genesis fan knows since Gabriel was not present during much the writing and recording of the album due to difficulties wife Jill was having with the birth of their daughter.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 03:34

I don't know about 'the padding and filler myth', but I own most of the double's mentioned as wel as some others and when I do play them (not as much as the single albums by the same bands btw), I usually play only one of the discs/vinyl sides because the other has weaker material. But maybe that's just me.........
Which half of The Lamb Lies Down, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Quadrophenia, Tommy, The Wall, Electric Ladyland, Exile on Mainstreamstreet, 666, Tanz der Lemminge, Focus 3, Aerial is the weaker half. (Deliberately ignoring double live album of course because it's a well known fact that bands put all their weaker material in the second half of their live sets and save the really weak filler for the very end, and the weak padding songs for the encore).
That's a solid question regarding those specific albums.....and I'll attempt to give you my thoughts on them.
Weaker (and padding and filler..) indeed might be the wrong word;....perhaps we should just say parts we all prefer over others.
There are several parts of Lamb I think are 'weaker' than the others but it's kind of spread out on the 2 LP's.
On Tales I think sides 2 and 3 are 'weaker'.
I prefer the first LP on Quadrophenia....doesn't make the second 'weaker' except to me.
Tommy is all about the same quality to me and excellent overall.
I like the second LP marginally  better on The Wall probably due to Comfortably Numb.
On Exiles I prefer the first Lp though the second isn't bad or 'mediocre' per se.
I think most of Ladyland is pretty solid also...though Voodo Child on the second side is my favorite track so I think that side is 'better' for me.
I honestly haven't played 666 or Tanz enough in recent memory to have an opinion and I don't own Focus 3.

So for me it's more about which discs hit my favorite spot and sometimes the better tracks are scattered over the two Lp's so it's hard to say which LP is 'weaker' on some doubles. As I said I have a tendency to play one or the other LP's on doubles due to personal preference.....'weaker' becomes  a subjective term as it always does here on PA regarding quality and what is 'this or that'.

Thank you sir. 
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 04:11
Filler is one thing and does occur in different ways to varying degrees of skill or lack thereof, but when something like Physical Graffiti or The Wall is criticized for filler, something is being missed.   I can't listen to all of The Wall anymore because at least one third of it no longer does a thing for me; it didn't hold up past my thirties as a consistent source of interest the way some other doubles have.   But filler?   I doubt it, because as Dean has pointed out, that suggests the "filler" was intentionally produced and perpetrated to satisfy whatever time minimums there may've been, or worse, to rip people off.

But that is, I must point out, the perspective of a former and fairly serious musician.   I used to think Phys Graf was artificially stretched-out too, but when I listen to it now and I come upon those parts everyone loves to criticize as diluted pap, I smile, shame myself, and I thank goodness that such an extraordinary album, band, and time existed, and that I lived to experience it.

It can't all be gold all of the time.   Is every single moment of Topographic Oceans brilliant?   Hell no, and we all know that.   But again, that misses the point.   It's a journey we have along with a band we have faith in and I'm willing to share the bad moments if they have the guts to show them to me.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 04:18
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I used to think Phys Graf was artificially stretched-out too, but when I listen to it now and I come upon those parts everyone loves to criticize as diluted pap,  

Which parts are those? I've always thought PG is one of the most consistently excellent double albums around, the only track I'm not that keen on is the last one "Sick Again" and I've seen more than one person say that's their favourite track on the album.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 04:19
^ Well there you go--  for me it's Boogie with Stu.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 09:23

I love that song. I suppose it's a bit of a muck about but I still like it.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 09:38
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I love that song. I suppose it's a bit of a muck about but I still like it.
Me too. Love the trash-can cymbals Bonham is banging on and the Rolling Stones' Ian Stewart on piano. You can tell the band is having a lot of fun. After all, the working title of the song was "Sloppy Drunk".

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 10:39
Physical Graffiti has several pleasant throw aways on it, including some songs that didn't make the cut on prior albums.  That said, it's still my favorite Zeppelin album.  The throw aways on Physical Graffiti are still better than half the songs on Presence or In Through the Out Door.  I also feel like the White Album from the Beatles has lots of throw aways and/or filler.  Some of it good, some of it rubbish.  A fascinating listen nonetheless. 
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 10:46

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Everyone knows you were being sarcastic, but if you can no longer be good at it, don't. (ELP take note) You've just honed in on the football comment as a a transparent diversion technique i.e. I've called you out for being credulous and permanently in thrall to your fave musicians and you have responded with precisely squat. There's also your usual helpining of grammatical pedantry which is just a waste of everyone's time and energy. I might start a petition to get you reinstated as an Admin, you were a damn site better value then.

Another incentive for everyone in having you reinstated as an Admin: you would post less, especially kneejerk childish crap like the above. Grow up, you've got nothing hippy...

Agreed, but for the sake of this forum i think you shouldn't waste your time anymore and get back to what the thread title suggests.

Cooee!!!! Awwwww    leave Dean alone, yes he might be uber grumpy at times but I love his input and knowledge on our forum topics. Heck I get it wrong at times and Dean is the first person to point that out leave my favorite Grumpy number one alone because he certainly adds so much more value, knowledge and interest to our forum topics. huge hug to all

P.S. I love football, this pic attached is me at the Fifa Worls Cup 2010 in Cape Town South Africa supporting my favorite team    

Supporting the Dutch!
I'm Dutch!
So you're supportering me! Big smile

Okay, so far for this pseudo-Socratic syllogism LOL but you do have a good taste, Kati Clap 

As well as for supporting Dean, whom I'm happy to see on this site.
We all have our grumpy days, and that's the truth
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 11:55
Originally posted by Prog 74 Prog 74 wrote:

Physical Graffiti has several pleasant throw aways on it

Come on, everyone is saying this, but what are they?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 12:30

:
Down By The Seaside
Boogie with Stu
Sick Again
Custard pie
The Rover

Now I'm not saying these are bad songs just that they don't do much for me.
It's that subjective thingy all over again.
Smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 12:41

:
Down By The Seaside
Boogie with Stu
Sick Again
Custard pie
The Rover

Now I'm not saying these are bad songs just that they don't do much for me.
It's that subjective thingy all over again.
Smile

I would also include Night Flight and Black Country Woman.  All of the songs on Physical Graffiti are good, some are just a little weaker than others.  The band themselves admitted that they didn't quite have enough material to make it a double album so they went to the vaults and filled the album with some unreleased tracks.  Tracks that weren't good enough to be on previous albums. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 14:00

It can't all be gold all of the time.   Is every single moment of Topographic Oceans brilliant?   Hell no, and we all know that.   But again, that misses the point.   It's a journey we have along with a band we have faith in and I'm willing to share the bad moments if they have the guts to show them to me.
Agree with every thing you've said David, just picking up on Tales.

Tales is indeed flawed and is an exception here because it does contain padding, (but it also contains pruning - Revealing was trimmed to make it shorter by some six minutes). However this padding is within the tracks because originally the four tracks contained enough music for three sides vinyl, so they padded the music out so that each track was around the 20 minute mark (the optimum length for sound quality on a vinyl disc) - none of the tracks are filler-tracks. That is one of Wakeman's criticisms of the album and perhaps his main contribution to it - linking the disparate parts within each track with typical Wakeman-y aplomb, (he did this on Fragile and Close to the Edge too), such as the short pastoral (almost Greenslade-like) Moog segues in The Remembering. 

I suspect what some people may be experiencing on double albums is simply sensory overload, the old "Listener-fatigue" (which I've never really understood myself, this is Prog after all, but hey-ho). If Yes had released any of these tracks on a single album in the same format as Close to the Edge and Relayer, with a selection of shorter songs the flip-side, I think maybe we would see them differently; sure "The Remembering album" would perhaps not be liked as much as "The Ritual album" or "The Revealing album" would, but I suspect many would rate it highly as a Symphonic Prog Folk album. Perhaps if Yes had just released The Revealing and The Ritual as two sides of a single album people may find it less of a chore, that they can squeeze in during a 40 minute lull in their TV viewing schedule, then perhaps some of us may just find it to be just a little less interesting.

[disclaimer: I'm not a Yes fan by any stretch, I like Tales and Relayer - the rest I can take or leave, especially Close t'Fridge]
What?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 14:08

Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

I was thinking the same, Ayreon releases to date (with the exception of Actual Fantasy) have been a double albums, I think

Actual Fantasy is (still) the Ayreon release I enjoy the most.

Just thought of a great double album (4 LP sides): Sheik Yerbouti!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 14:35

Custard pie
The Rover

Nooooooooooooooooo! Cry
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 14:38

Custard pie
The Rover

Nooooooooooooooooo! Cry

Yeah, what?  Those songs are great
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2014 at 14:38

sure "The Remembering album" would perhaps not be liked as much as "The Ritual album" or "The Revealing album" would

Yes it would. I actually prefer The Remembering to the other two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>