Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPolyphonic Spree - Crossover/Symphonic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polyphonic Spree - Crossover/Symphonic Prog
    Posted: March 15 2014 at 13:15
"Polyphonic Spree is a choral rock band from Dallas, Texas that was formed in 2000 by Tim DeLaughter. The band's sound relies on a variety of vocal and instrumental color by featuring a choir, flute, trumpet, french horn, trombone, violin, viola, cello, percussion, piano, guitars, bass, drums, electronic keyboards and EWI. DeLaughter is the lead singer." - That's what wikipedia says about them. They released five studio albums and first two i consider progressive, although later they turned into more conventional pop. Here are some songs from their debut - "The Beginning Stages Of..." and (imho) their best work - "Together We're Heavy"
Two long tracks:

One shorter song:

One more long track:

Very long psychedelic/avant-garde song:

One more extremely happy short song:

And one more, not so long, psychedelic song:

Here are links to their official site and wikipedia article, do You need anything more?

Edited by Argor - March 15 2014 at 13:16
Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2014 at 06:56
Also, they give a number to every studio track and call them "sections", so in first album they have sections from 1 to 10 and next album starts from section 11 and there is a nice connection between sections 10 and 11. It's not clearly progressive thing, but it's not conventional, so i tought it may help.
Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 16:21
Was this thread ignored? Confused I though the PS would be perfect addition to this site, their songs are long, with many sections and lots of instruments, psychedelic parts...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 16:35
Be patient. Someone to judge the suggestion will be along soonThumbs Up
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 16:37
I'm sure this topic would've been checked ere long (sometimes they're not gotten around to for some days). Polyphonic Spree was actually suggested in 2008 (thread now locked as topics are automatically locked after a long period of inactivity).

For reference purposes:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52458&KW=Polyphonic+Spree&PID=2993958#2993958

As I said in that topic, I had also proposed PS in 2006, but soon deleted my topic as I questioned the validity of the suggestion. I haven't heard any PS albums post The Fragile Army, and as I said in the topic I linked to, I got to know them due to the Quest for the Rest online Flash game made by the same people who made the Samorost game.

Anyway, I also expect that someone of value will check this suggestion out.

Edited by Logan - March 19 2014 at 16:39
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 16:56
Originally posted by Logan<br> Polyphonic Spree was actually suggested in 2008<br><br> Logan
Polyphonic Spree was actually suggested in 2008

wrote:

I got to know them due to the Quest for the Rest online Flash game made by the same people who made the Samorost game.

I haven't found a topic with them through search bar Confused
Actualy i've got into them due to the same game Big smile All Amanita Design works are great Thumbs Up
Thanks, hope this time they'll get into PA, Together We're Heavy is definitely progressive album, there are long songs, without any standard song structure, many sections, many melody lines, sometimes changing rythm... And there are lots of bands less proggy than Polyphonic Spree added to PA.

Edited by Argor - March 19 2014 at 17:03
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 18:33
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm sure this topic would've been checked ere long (sometimes they're not gotten around to for some days). Polyphonic Spree was actually suggested in 2008 (thread now locked as topics are automatically locked after a long period of inactivity).

For reference purposes:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52458&KW=Polyphonic+Spree&PID=2993958#2993958

As I said in that topic, I had also proposed PS in 2006, but soon deleted my topic as I questioned the validity of the suggestion. I haven't heard any PS albums post The Fragile Army, and as I said in the topic I linked to, I got to know them due to the Quest for the Rest online Flash game made by the same people who made the Samorost game.

Anyway, I also expect that someone of value will check this suggestion out.

Yeah - I was waiting for someone of value to come along too. LOL I checked the band myself when this topic was first posted, and decided it was too close to call for someone of my limited knowledge. Embarrassed

I didn't do a search back then, but I have now...and the band has actually been suggested twice here before:

In April 2006 by Alucard: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21106, and in October 2008 by russellk (the thread that Greg talks about here - and gives the link above).

They are also discussed here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63352 (General Music Discussions forum, December 2009).

The general consensus is that they are proggy, but not prog, so I guess it needs yet further discussion when someone of value finally arrives on the scene. Tongue

There have been two fresh releases since these earlier threads, but one of them was an album of Christmas music.

RYM have them tagged as Neo-Psychedelia, Chamber Pop, & Indie Pop, which doesn't sound as though it it will support the suggestion a great deal: http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/the_polyphonic_spreeErmm

And so we wait...   Big smile
Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 18:26
BUMP

Don't want to be impatient or even obtrusive, but i'm (we're?) still waiting for someone to add this band on charts hopefully ^^
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2014 at 21:13
Well...Symphonic they aren't, that's for sure

Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:18
The band is using many orchestra instruments and is influenced by classical music, so i wrote symphonic... Indeed, i wasn't thinking exactly of symphonic prog writing that, although their sound is much richer than most crossover bands i know.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 11:31
Very nice band indeed. Sounds like a mix between Beatles, The Verve and Coldplay.
I don't hear any prog though, sorry. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 15:49
I would consider this symphonic rock but not symphonic prog. Not prog imo
Argor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 19:22
But the songs structures... Confused Also, The Polyphonic Spree has more progressive elements than for example Radiohead, which is on the site...
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Very nice band indeed. Sounds like a mix between Beatles, The Verve and Coldplay.
I don't hear any prog though, sorry. 

You broke mu heart with this Coldplay comparison Tongue
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2014 at 20:57
mmmm...nice, the bands Grandaddy and Flaming Lips spring to mind with a psychedelic dose of Mercury Rev 
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
kev rowland View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 21:18
I've just been listening to some of their songs, and agree with Dean - can't see it getting anywhere with Crossover either. It is nice though..
All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X
 Post Reply Post Reply