Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Motorpsycho @ Rockefeller, Oslo, March 14, 2014
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMotorpsycho @ Rockefeller, Oslo, March 14, 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motorpsycho @ Rockefeller, Oslo, March 14, 2014
    Posted: March 16 2014 at 14:32
Just wanted to share with you my thoughts on Friday night's concert with what is probably my favourite band ATM, the start of their 2014 Behind The Sun Tour, in support of their new album.

Setlist :

Acoustic set:
- With Trixeene Through the Mirror, I Dream with Open Eyes
- Blueberry Daydream
- Coventry Boy
- Stay Young
- Big Surprise
- Now It's Time To Skate
- Feel
- Waiting for the One

Electric set:
- Kvæstor
- On a Plate
- The Promise
- Hey Jane
- Hyena
- Barleycorn
- Plan #1
- Hell, part 1-7
--
- Kill Some Day
- Starmelt/Lovelight
- Wearing Yr Smell
- Entropy

The concert started with three of the intergalactic Four Norsemen of the Rock/Avant entering the stage, acoustic guitars in hand, and the fourth, Kenneth Kapstad, seating himself down behind his drum set, turning to a small keyboard on his left side. "We thought we'd do something a bit different tonight, opening with the encores", said bassist Bent Sæther with a smirk, and then we were off on a stripped down journey back in time to, mostly, the '90's.

This typifies what I admire most about this band, perhaps even more so than the music itself , that they do what they want to do, plays what they want to play (both live and in studio), and don't occupy themselves with keeping up with trends, nevermind what critics and fans think or say.

Another thing I admire them for is that they seem very down to earth, and don't act like rock stars (which they aren't really anyway, to my big bewilderment as to why not? , my impression is that even in Norway they're still sort of an underground band, a hidden secret, known only to some and not to "everyone", 25 years after their formation).

An example of this "down to earth"-attitude was displayed when Sæther announced what was the highlight of the acoustic set for me, the cover of Gallagher & Lyle's "Stay Young", with saying "We even played this on the telly recently". Imagine Roar Øien, on pedal steel guitar in this video, replaced by Reine Fiske on guitar, and you get a sense of how the performance of that song looked and sounded like Friday night.

Other highlights of the acoustic set were the crowd singing "ba-ba-pa-pa-ria" (or something to that effect ) along with the band during the only song from their jazz-pop period in the early 2000's they played this evening, "Big Surprise", Bent ballerina-twirling after the line "Dancing around like a ballerina!" in "Now It's Time To Skate" (you just gotta love these guys for never taking themselves too seriously ), and the sing along song "Waiting for the One".

Those of us who was surprised by the opening and eagerly awaited hearing the tracks from the new album live for the first time was soon to be pleased though. The electric set opened with "Kvæstor", "On a Plate" and "The Promise", all from their 2014 release Behind The Sun, the latter of the three being the most impressive, with Sæther in good form on vocals.

This was followed by one of my favourite tracks of theirs from the 90's, "Hey Jane", from their great psych rock album Trus Us, "Hyena", from Black Hole / Blank Canvas, and what was the definitive highlight of the concert for me, "Barleycorn", off their 2013 release, Still Life With Eggplant. At the beginning of this song I'd just come back from getting a beer, and had to stand behind two really tall guys , so I didn't get to see who was singing, and the voices of the band's two vocalists are too similar sounding for me to be 100% sure who sang it , but I think it was the guitarist, Hans Magnus "Snah" Ryan, who, it seemed to me, had some problems with his voice all evening. So, the vocals on this wasn't too good, but Snah's groovy guitar jam was simply out of this world - I for one was spiritually "somewhere else" during that jam.

Next up was the post rock-ish "Plan #1", from Demon Box. A nice track, but I've never felt anything special for this particular song. They guy standing next to me, however, clearly had a special relationship to it. Hearing him say, almost in disbelief, "My song, they're playing my song!", his eyes watering up while his mates clapped him on the back clearly excited for him, made an impression on me, who only recently became a fan of the band, and have not grown up listening to them. Really great to see a song I've never thought of as anywhere near the band's best having such an impact on someone.

Following this emotional experience came another highlight, the full "Hell" suite from their last two albums, all seven parts (or perhaps it's not complete yet, and we'll get another two parts on another album sometime in the near future, getting the number of parts up to nine, one for every circle of hell? we can only speculate). Although I'm not a big fan of pt. 4-6, it was nice hearing them all together, including another brilliant jam by Snah, at the end of part 3.

After that we got some more "oldies" from the 90's in "Kill Some Day", "Starmelt / Lovelight" and the indie-punk-ish "Wearing Yr Smell", the latter two getting the crowd in sing-along-mood once again, before the concert was concluded with "Entropy", from the new album. I'm not a big fan of this one either, but it worked well enough as a gig closer.

The sound this evening wasn't as good as their concert at the same venue last year, but it wasn't bad. I would've liked to hear more from the new album, especially the nice opener, "Cloudwalker", which apparently was on the setlist, but got dropped for some reason, but with these guys you never know what songs you're gonna hear at a show, which is part of the fun, and, I had a great time anyway.

I highly recommend seeing Motorpsycho if you have the chance (tour dates to be found here), even if you, like me, aren't crazy about the new album, and if you don't mind them playing what the hell they want!

Sail on, Psychonauts!

Edited by The Bearded Bard - March 17 2014 at 11:53
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 08:57
im seeing them tomorrow
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:05
Cool, Audun!
Sounds like a great show.  I missed this post before somehow.

Edited by HolyMoly - March 25 2014 at 09:05
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:07
Very nice write up AudunClap

I wish I had the chance to see them on this tour, but my wallet tells me no. 
Man....it's been so long since I attended a gig - I'm getting all rusty and stuff. 
........and then to think that the final show will be in Pumpehuset København - one of my alltime favourite live places in the city - what was it I was going to say? Oh yes: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhhhAngry
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 11:13
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

im seeing them tomorrow
Have fun, Chris.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 13:05
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Man....it's been so long since I attended a gig - I'm getting all rusty and stuff. 
........and then to think that the final show will be in Pumpehuset København - one of my alltime favourite live places in the city - what was it I was going to say? Oh yes: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhhhAngry
Didn't know you liked them, David. Sorry to hear you'll miss them on this tour. Have you seen them live before?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 13:02
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Didn't know you liked them, David. Sorry to hear you'll miss them on this tour. Have you seen them live before?

Well I didn't know either - that is until I heard UnicornTongue 
So no I haven't heard them live, although I seem to remember seeing them on billboards back when I lived in Copenhagen. 

It's actually often I get to know about gigs that I really wanted to go see, and then it's too lateOuch It happened just here the other day, where I found out about Swedish act Fire! Orchestra who'd played Copenhagen Jazzhouse TWICE without me knowing about it. WTF!?!?!?!!
I wish I didn't know actually - now it just makes me irritated. Maybe I should never check up on tour dates unless I've got dough or a sugar-momma to sponsor my needs...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 13:15
Seems like a great show to attend Audun, you know I'm a big fan too but I don't think I'll ever see them live Disapprove
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 13:20
Come on Sagi!!! Norway is great! You can travel to Denmark and then I'll transport you in my sports-bag the rest of the wayTongue 

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 13:29

Come on Sagi!!! Norway is great! You can travel to Denmark and then I'll transport you in my sports-bag the rest of the wayTongue 

Can I get an autograph from Michael Laudrup? Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 13:32
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Probably, but he writes in Cyrillic letters, so you may have a hard time convincing anyone about it's authenticity....

There's that and also the fact that he almost never visits home anymore. I'm still waiting for a footrub he promised me back in 92Ouch 

- Douglas Adams
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 15:28
tickets already obtained for their gig in Bielefeld, 23 May 2014 Smile

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 08:55
i saw them in Stavanger @Folken #perfectconert, and it was totaly mindblowing, blend of stonerpsych, astral prog and nautic prog.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 16:14

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Probably, but he writes in Cyrillic letters, so you may have a hard time convincing anyone about it's authenticity....

There's that and also the fact that he almost never visits home anymore. I'm still waiting for a footrub he promised me back in 92Ouch

The outcome of a bet about a certain European championship?

Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

tickets already obtained for their gig in Bielefeld, 23 May 2014 Smile
Would love to hear your thoughts about the performance if you have the chance afterwards, Uwe.

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

i saw them in Stavanger @Folken #perfectconert, and it was totaly mindblowing, blend of stonerpsych, astral prog and nautic prog.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 16:53
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Next up was the post rock-ish "Plan #1", from Demon Box. A nice track, but I've never felt anything special for this particular song. They guy standing next to me, however, clearly had a special relationship to it. Hearing him say, almost in disbelief, "My song, they're playing my song!", his eyes watering up while his mates clapped him on the back clearly excited for him, made an impression on me, who only recently became a fan of the band, and have not grown up listening to them. Really great to see a song I've never thought of as anywhere near the band's best having such an impact on someone.
Embarrassed OK, I've had the sneaking suspicion since the night of the concert there was something familiar about these guys, and seeing this picture:

confirmed my suspicion. Yes, that is Supersilent! The guy who said "they're playing my song", with tears in his eyes, is the guy in the middle, former Motorpsycho member, Helge "Deathprod" Sten, who probably composed the damn thing (!), or at least co-composed it, and the other two, (from left to right) Arve Henriksen and collaborator on Motorpsycho's The Death Defying Unicorn, Ståle Storløkken, was his back-clapping mates. LOL

Furthermore, I could swear I saw Ståle Storløkken on the bus after the show too. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply