FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRarest Albums In Your Collection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 17:31
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

By far the rarest item I have is an original copy of Sweetness (b side Something's Coming) by those nice Yes people. It was  their first single, and my mum won it somewhereLOL

Love that song Tongue Their first 2 albums REALLY deserve much more credit Big smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 17:34
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

By far the rarest item I have is an original copy of Sweetness (b side Something's Coming) by those nice Yes people. It was  their first single, and my mum won it somewhereLOL

Love that song Tongue Their first 2 albums REALLY deserve much more credit Big smile

Absolutely. It goes to prove that quality, and the potential, will always shine through in the end. That is why, I think, that sites like this which try to identify quality new music are so important.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 19:23
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Got two original Box sets from the 70's
George Harrrison's All things must Pass (1970)

Mike Oldfield Boxed (1976)

Think one of them may be my rarest.

Got Peter Sinfield Still on vinyl. (bought in the early 80's) 

I would hardly call All Things Must Pass rare; it was in print in its original boxed format into the 80s at least. The Mike Oldfield Boxed was around for quite a while too.

Some definite rarities in my collection, in most cases I’ve never seen another copy, even in used bins or at record conventions, etc.:

Bo Hansson – American Engineered. This was a remixed version of Music From Watership Down, put out by Love Records, based in NY.

Cherubin – Cherub Safety Match. Only release that I know of from a super-obscure German band.

Shadowfax – Watercourse Way. In its original form, not the Windham Hill reissue, which was remixed/rerecorded.

RDM – Contamination. The US pressing, at least, I never saw another copy of.

Turner and Kirwan of Wexford – Absolutely and Completely. That’s Pierce Turner (he went solo in the 80s) and Larry Kirwan (Black 47).

Dave Lambert – Framed. His first solo album.

Dick Heckstall-Smith – A Story Ended. Originally slated to be the last Colosseum album.

A few 12-inchers/singles:

Steve Hackett – Clocks (with an alternate version of Tigermoth and a live acoustic set)

Roxy Music – an American promo copy of Jealous Guy, with 2 versions clocking in at 3:40 and 6:10. As far as I know, the 6:10 version hasn’t been reissued anywhere else.

The Police – Spanish and Japanese versions of De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. I think it was a fan-club-only item.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 21:25
^I've got Contamination and the Heckstall-Smith albums.

Also wanted to mention

Eddy Marron-Por Marco
Vita Nova-s/t
Peter Giger and the Family Of Percussion-A Drum Is A Woman
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 11:37
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Got two original Box sets from the 70's
George Harrrison's All things must Pass (1970)

Mike Oldfield Boxed (1976)

Think one of them may be my rarest.

Got Peter Sinfield Still on vinyl. (bought in the early 80's) 

I would hardly call All Things Must Pass rare; it was in print in its original boxed format into the 80s at least. The Mike Oldfield Boxed was around for quite a while too.

Some definite rarities in my collection, in most cases I’ve never seen another copy, even in used bins or at record conventions, etc.:

Bo Hansson – American Engineered. This was a remixed version of Music From Watership Down, put out by Love Records, based in NY.

Cherubin – Cherub Safety Match. Only release that I know of from a super-obscure German band.

Shadowfax – Watercourse Way. In its original form, not the Windham Hill reissue, which was remixed/rerecorded.

RDM – Contamination. The US pressing, at least, I never saw another copy of.

Turner and Kirwan of Wexford – Absolutely and Completely. That’s Pierce Turner (he went solo in the 80s) and Larry Kirwan (Black 47).

Dave Lambert – Framed. His first solo album.

Dick Heckstall-Smith – A Story Ended. Originally slated to be the last Colosseum album.

A few 12-inchers/singles:

Steve Hackett – Clocks (with an alternate version of Tigermoth and a live acoustic set)

Roxy Music – an American promo copy of Jealous Guy, with 2 versions clocking in at 3:40 and 6:10. As far as I know, the 6:10 version hasn’t been reissued anywhere else.

The Police – Spanish and Japanese versions of De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. I think it was a fan-club-only item.

Huh...as for the Roxy, I have a 12" single issued by Polydor, with the 6:10 version of "Jealous Guy" on the A-side and "To Turn You On" on the B-side (3:52).  Mine is a German pressing.  

I also have the brown marble vinyl version of Riverside's Second Life Syndrome album.  It was supposed to have been a limited run of 500 I think, but there was a flaw in the press and they stopped the run at something shy of 75 copies.  It is not a playable album, but it is a pretty one.  :)

Edited by ergaster - March 27 2014 at 11:38
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 13:51
I've got The Cars picture disc of "My best friend's girl" which was supposedly the first ever picture disc. That was going to be my retirement fund but it's 99p on eBay now. Unhappy

I've got Bat Out of Hell 12" single on red vinyl which is about £30 on eBay. The guy at school who sold it to me for 50p was never happy about that.

I also have a nice collection of Beatles' picture disc singles that go for quite nice prices.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 17:54

I didn't even know there was a movie made for Watership Down. That's one of my favorites novels.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 18:21
^ Great water coloured animated film....Excellent with the song ' Bright Eyes" supplied by a certain Art Garfunkel.

I am biased though, Bo Hansson's album ( not a film score) is bar far the best!

I have Gravy Train's - Second Birth on vinyl

Caravan- Better By Far

some rare Roy Harper too
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 18:31
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I didn't even know there was a movie made for Watership Down. That's one of my favorites novels.

A little clarification: the original Bo Hansson album was actually titled Music Inspired by Watership Down, with a U.S. release on Sire Records in 1977. American Engineered was a remixed version of that album.

Completely unrelated, there was also an animated movie version of Watership Down, with an orchestral score by Angela Morley. There was a soundtrack album, out in 1978, now super-difficult to find in any form, last I checked, though it was available on CD in a limited edition. The movie is available on DVD and Blu-Ray.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 23:23
The stuff below is not prog (I see this thread is in the Prog Music Lounges), but still ... .

Nothing truly rare that I have that you can purchase for a really high price of $13 and up + shipping on a physical copy or as MP3 on Amazon but will not find on iTunes:

Robert Fripp - A Blessing of Tears
The Durutti Column- The Return of the Durutti Column (not SE)
Pino Daniele - the Pino Daniele / Nero a Meta compilation

I'm also looking for Scott Walker's rarities and stuff from television, with Walker Brothers and (preferably) solo, especially the song "Alone" (cover Jacques Brel's "Seul").

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 28 2014 at 00:16
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 23:35
I have one of the original Decca pressings of "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles & Fripp," of which only 600 were pressed (supposedly).

Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 06:10
I have loads of rare vinyl including original pressings of Yes on plum Atlantic, Crimson on pink Island, VdGG on pink Charisma and Electric Ladyland on Track. Have a lot of original Kraut vinyl and recently paid a large sum for all 17 Can vinyls on new 180g pressings housed in a box.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 08:37
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've got The Cars picture disc of "My best friend's girl" which was supposedly the first ever picture disc. That was going to be my retirement fund but it's 99p on eBay now. Unhappy

I have the Curved Air picture disc of Airconditioning from 1971:

and Saturnalia's Magical Love from 1973, which is claimed to be the first 3D picture disc:
File:Saturnalia.jpg
(unfortunately my copy lacks the booklet so is worth very little)

My most treasured possession is Kaleidoscope's A Tangerine Dream, don't know how rare it is but it was once highly sort after and was selling for over £200 a copy back in the mid-70s:
File:KaleidoscopeTangerineDream.jpg

What?
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 16:13
Original pressing of The Beatles' "Again" (the one with Hey Jude)
Bill Nelson's Northern Dream LP
Original pressing of The Kinks' debut signed by Dave Davies.
Radio promo single edit of ABWH's "Brother of Mine"
Tomorrow LP
One Live Badger LP

And on VHS, the preliminary video, unfinished and released in error, of Jon Anderson's South American "Change We Must" tour. There are very few of these.

You said rare, not necessarily valuable!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2014 at 17:06
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I have one of the original Decca pressings of "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles & Fripp," of which only 600 were pressed (supposedly).

That's pretty cool.....my friend had one of those a few years back.
Cool
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12