FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe longevity of prog (and rock) music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 07:47
Originally posted by Prog 74 Prog 74 wrote:

Truly good music, be it classical or prog or jazz, requires a certain degree of intelligence that many people find intimidating.  Being smart, being creative, being different are what I find to be truly appealing and the music business should as well. 

Requires much more talent than smartness for making truly good music and/or being creative. I don't see it as a pre-requisite for an artist in order to have good taste in any kind of art. Just an example, Picasso was a very intelligent and smart painter, besides talented, of course, but because of his always "a step forward" vision that time he created a brand new style Cubism in his paintings - this style has a quite bad taste and i don't enjoy these paintings at all.

Edited by Rick Robson - March 25 2014 at 07:53

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:05

I think we can agree that rock music's peak years were roughly between 1965 - 1975.  Artists were given the freedom in the studio to virtually do as they pleased and this was encouraged by the record companies. 

I would think that this could/should be re-worded to something like ... the media became more aware of rock music, and it's money making potential, and began to take advantage of it. By the time that Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and The Who got 100 million dollar contracts, I think that folks in Wall Street went ... KACHINGGGGGGGG!!!!!! ... as to how easy and fast some money could be made!

The Grateful Dead got signed because at the time they sold more bootlegs than actual albums, as they were the number 1 bootleg group.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:05

I think we can agree that rock music's peak years were roughly between 1965 - 1975.  Artists were given the freedom in the studio to virtually do as they pleased and this was encouraged by the record companies.  Music fans bought these experimental and progressive records and radio stations played them around the clock.  Warner Brothers famously signed the Grateful Dead and allowed them to be themselves.  They wisely did not try to "reign" them in and turn them into something more mainstream.  The more original and creative you were the more likely you would be signed and promoted by the record companies.  By the late 70s that began to change.  The music business became a business first and foremost.  Like any business it's aim was to make money and the best way to make loads of money in the music business was to sign bands that had mass appeal.  The more appealing you were the more likely you would have a top 10 hit.  MTV furthered the situation by saying you couldn't merely sound appealing you had to look appealing too.  A hairy, aging band like Jethro Tull would never get a video played if you were judged solely on "looks".  Creativity was stifled.  Wanting to venture beyond the standard 3-4 minute pop song structure was strongly discouraged.  Prog became a joke to many.  A few great prog bands have boldly defied those trends, but in order to survive it needed to go underground where is still exists today.  It's doubtful prog will ever again attain the popularity it had in the early 70s.  It can be done, but the now struggling music business needs to reverse it's stance on creativity & experimentalism.  The Flower Kings should be on the Grammys instead of just Beyonce, Macklemore or Taylor Swift.  Am I truly believe that any of those artists had a more creative, more imaginative album than Desolation Rose?  Absolutely not.  We need to stop dumbing down everything and instead encourage people to want to think and to learn.  Truly good music, be it classical or prog or jazz, requires a certain degree of intelligence that many people find intimidating.  Being smart, being creative, being different are what I find to be truly appealing and the music business should as well. 

I do take on board your remarks about an industry that has to adapt to a rapidly changing world but the red part is elitist self serving bollocks of the worst kind. The truth you refer to is the one where your tastes and values are reflected in the marketplace as some sort of vindicated litmus test of a meritocracy. The money men who delivered the music of the Prog artists of the early 70's to fans were no different to the money men we have today i.e. businessmen will only invest in a phenomenon if they think they can get a worthwhile return on their investment. They recognised at that time that the youthful demographic was receptive to experimentation, risk taking and eclecticism and more importantly, were prepared to direct their increased spending power on same. Smart people study markets and target perceived needs accordingly. Things have certainly changed considerably in the interim and artists can now market, distribute and promote themselves via the internet. This is probably a good thing but given the inexhaustibly vast amount of music consumers are asked to make an informed decision about they naturally find this intimidating. Intelligence has nothing to do with responding positively to what you like. I know loads of smart, creative and fiercely independent people who care not a jot for classical, Prog or Jazz (on Planet Prog 74 there are just 3 types of music right? you have to be kidding, otherwise you should be hoisted by your own petard - how can being different be anything other than a prevailing minority demographic? yet you want the music business to expect viability will result in what is by definition a niche market?) The only way you can achieve a marketplace that mirrors your values is by interventionist and subsidized means, and yes that's the sort of Soviet era suppression of democracy that I like to think we both find repugnant.

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 25 2014 at 09:06
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:18
I agree with you Iain. We've had these sorts of discussions before, and prog, or any other sort of musical branching, need no intelligent fanbase to grasp the sonic impact. Hell, I've met some pretty dumb prog fans, just as I've met extremely intelligent Miley Cyrus fans. 
Pop music can be wonderful and just as deep, introspective, adventurous and intelligently performed as any prog rock master you care to name. It's just another form of expression is all. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Isa View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:31
There are far too many younger people (like myself) at the prog concerts that I have been to, and likewise in real life that I have met who listen to the classic prog bands for me to think that the prog torch won't be passed down for many generations, probably 100 years from now. While bands like Yes and Genesis may not ever have mass popularity again, I think there will always be people listening to them, at least for as long as people can recognize beauty in music (we'll see how much longer that lasts!).
The human heart instrinsically longs for that which is true, good, and beautiful. This is why timeless music is never without these qualities.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:38
^Always will be born people with good taste for appreciating a music beauty

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:38
^^ Same self righteous drivel as that of  Prog 74's post i.e. people who don't share my aesthetic values don't know beauty - I mean c'mon, blow it out your ass and take a step back to listen to yourself.Disapprove

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 25 2014 at 09:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:44
^Nobody has to be smart in order to understand what you mean

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:49
A few years ago, whilst talking to a female friend of mine, something hit home with me. We were sitting in some park drinking white wine and eating fruit (yeah I know playaTongue), and we started talking about music. I quickly realised just far removed she was from my listening habits, as most women tend to be, but then she told me about getting goosebumps and chills down her spine from a Lady Gaga song. Oh my word! I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but tried acting all cool about it. I may even have made a somewhat badly timed joke about it, but it was just because I found her words so....erm...wrong perhaps? She was experiencing music in much the same manner as I was - she was a complete music nut who talked to similar people on the internet about whatever new and exciting thing was on the horizon. 
After that experience, I left all of my preservations about "bad" music behind. Bad/beautiful music is, and will always be, in the ear of the beholder. All the other sh*te is merely condescending non-sense from people who think they're smart and specially enlightened because they listen to prog/classical/jazz/trance/polka you name it.

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 25 2014 at 09:50
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:51
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Requires much more talent than smartness for making truly good music and/or being creative. I don't see it as a pre-requisite for an artist in order to have good taste in any kind of art. Just an example, Picasso was a very intelligent and smart painter, besides talented, of course, but because of his always "a step forward" vision that time he created a brand new style Cubism in his paintings - this style has a quite bad taste and i don't enjoy these paintings at all.

All you have to remember is, and you have to picture this, a child looking out the window and seeing nothing but carnage. For a child it might not make sense, and in this case, this is the power and strength in "Guernica", as it is all slashed, cut and killed in pieces. Every war is like that and the Spanish Civil War was bad and also had other artists involved. Check out Garcia Lorca and some of his contemporaries. Not very pleasant, and all of them crying and hoping for a better day that many of them would never have a chance to see it!

That an art scene survived that carnage is a miracle! Same thing with so much other arts during WW1 and WW2, when it was fashionable to bomb the history of it all, because sometimes it represented something that the new "regime" didn't like, or want!

What Pablo did, took a lot more than "courage" ... and this is the part of ALL progressive artists within their own time, and how "important" they can be ... something that we have a hard time grasping a perspective on.

You are looking at Picasso's work with today's eyes and you are not seeing the horror, the horror, the horror ... that a child can see, and how damaging it can be to their sensibility!

Please be more compassionate about some arts. Most of them are not frivolous exercises in not giving a damn or making some money. Most of them are a TRUE SNAPSHOT of history. This is the reason why so much of the stuff discussed at PA is not a good discussion about the music, instead of favorites. You are not factoring their itty bitty role in the time and place ... because today, so much of it all is so meaningless and empty by comparison, that you and I lose the ability to see more, and otherwise.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Isa View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:51
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I think we can agree that rock music's peak years were roughly between 1965 - 1975.  Artists were given the freedom in the studio to virtually do as they pleased and this was encouraged by the record companies.  Music fans bought these experimental and progressive records and radio stations played them around the clock.  Warner Brothers famously signed the Grateful Dead and allowed them to be themselves.  They wisely did not try to "reign" them in and turn them into something more mainstream.  The more original and creative you were the more likely you would be signed and promoted by the record companies.  By the late 70s that began to change.  The music business became a business first and foremost.  Like any business it's aim was to make money and the best way to make loads of money in the music business was to sign bands that had mass appeal.  The more appealing you were the more likely you would have a top 10 hit.  MTV furthered the situation by saying you couldn't merely sound appealing you had to look appealing too.  A hairy, aging band like Jethro Tull would never get a video played if you were judged solely on "looks".  Creativity was stifled.  Wanting to venture beyond the standard 3-4 minute pop song structure was strongly discouraged.  Prog became a joke to many.  A few great prog bands have boldly defied those trends, but in order to survive it needed to go underground where is still exists today.  It's doubtful prog will ever again attain the popularity it had in the early 70s.  It can be done, but the now struggling music business needs to reverse it's stance on creativity & experimentalism.  The Flower Kings should be on the Grammys instead of just Beyonce, Macklemore or Taylor Swift.  Am I truly believe that any of those artists had a more creative, more imaginative album than Desolation Rose?  Absolutely not.  We need to stop dumbing down everything and instead encourage people to want to think and to learn.  Truly good music, be it classical or prog or jazz, requires a certain degree of intelligence that many people find intimidating.  Being smart, being creative, being different are what I find to be truly appealing and the music business should as well. 
I do take on board your remarks about an industry that has to adapt to a rapidly changing world but the red part is elitist self serving bollocks of the worst kind. The truth you
refer to is the one where your tastes and values are reflected in the
marketplace as some sort of vindicated litmus test of a meritocracy. The
money men who delivered the music of the Prog artists of the early 70's
to fans were no different to the money men we have today i.e.
businessmen will only invest in a phenomenon if they think they can get a
worthwhile return on their investment. They recognised at that time
that the youthful demographic was receptive to experimentation, risk
taking and eclecticism and more importantly, were prepared to direct
their increased spending power on same. Smart people study markets and
target perceived needs accordingly. Things have certainly changed
considerably in the interim and artists can now market, distribute and
promote themselves via the internet. This is probably a good thing but
given the inexhaustibly vast amount of music consumers are asked to make
an informed decision about they naturally find this intimidating.
Intelligence has nothing to do with responding positively to what you like.
I know loads of smart, creative and fiercely independent people who
care not a jot for classical, Prog or Jazz (on Planet Prog 74 there are
just 3 types of music right? you have to be kidding, otherwise you
should be hoisted by your own petard - how can being different be
anything other than a prevailing minority demographic? yet you want the
music business to expect viability will result in what is by definition
a niche market?) The only way you can achieve a marketplace that
mirrors your values is by interventionist and subsidized means, and yes
that's the sort of Soviet era suppression of democracy that I like to
think we both find repugnant.

Of course the greatest sin of our era is to have any whiff of an elitist attitude, right? ;)

As a younger person I'm quite tired of the logical fallacy of artistic relativism that old dofers from the 60s keep shoving down our throats, and then wondering why the arts are losing funding from institutions. While I do disagree with the asserted "intellectual" elitism, I wholeheartedly agree with the point of music being dumbed down to the lowest common denominator for the musically uneducated masses. Almost no one is listening to the Jonas Bros. anymore, just as no one will listen to Cyrus in a few years, because there is just too little substance to it, whilst tons of young people are still listening to Rush and Yes, just as there are tons of young people still listening to Beethoven and John Coltrane. If those who wish to point at this pretty significant Elephant in the room are called elitist, than so be it.
The human heart instrinsically longs for that which is true, good, and beautiful. This is why timeless music is never without these qualities.
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 09:58
Intelligence may not necessarily be a prerequisite for Prog, Classical or Jazz or any music for that matter, but it certainly does help.  I agree that talent is the real factor between a great musician and a not-so-great one.  You can be very intelligent and be a lousy musician.  However, it's hard for me to accept that someone who is intelligent and creative would spend their time listening to Lil Wayne.  Most people I know who I consider to be intelligent want to be challenged.  They want more thought-provoking music, movies & books.  Perhaps it is elitist, but I don't believe it.  What you listen to does influence you though. 

There was a McDonalds in Australia that had trouble with young people hanging out in the parking lot causing trouble and playing loud hip-hop music.  Their solution?  They set up some speakers outside and began playing classical music and opera.  The kids left.  LOL     
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 10:00
@Isa:  I think it was just the way you put it that perhaps made it across as too elitist.  I have seen people pretend to listen to classical music, so I don't think it necessarily has to do with intelligence.  However, the notion of accepting a certain amount of 'musicality' in music is something that the industry has steadily tried to water down.  When Beatles succeeded, they let the genie out of the bottle but within two decades or so, the industry began to control again.  We have come to a point where the mere presence of an instrumental interlude within a song could make a lot of people groan.  I remember that not so long ago, it was popular enough to be Grammy award winning stuff.  I have a faint hope that the success of 21 may turn the tide but I am not holding my breath.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 10:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

A few years ago, whilst talking to a female friend of mine, something hit home with me. We were sitting in some park drinking white wine and eating fruit (yeah I know playaTongue), and we started talking about music. I quickly realised just far removed she was from my listening habits, as most women tend to be, but then she told me about getting goosebumps and chills down her spine from a Lady Gaga song. Oh my word!...

Girlfriend in my college days used to say that Led Zeppelin was really sexual for her. She also thought that Rickie Lee Jones had a strong vibe that women also had, in the first 3 albums. She also thought Bonnie Raitt was the same.

I had no issue with that, but I have to tell you that I have come to seriously appreciate the "urgency" (for lack of another word) in Rickie's first albums, as if trying hard to enjoy and appreciate the moment, and then hearing Bonnie just about creaming the vinyl in her very own sleepy refrains!

Led Z was always one of my favorite bands, and I had many of their bootlegs at one time (none now ... bummer!), as they were by far, one of the best live bands ever.

But her and I did not "clash" on music, as she was into dancing and knew something about interpreting music, albeit she wanted the cardboard musical theater which ended up not being interested in her! And there went her life!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 10:10
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

A few years ago, whilst talking to a female friend of mine, something hit home with me. We were sitting in some park drinking white wine and eating fruit (yeah I know playaTongue), and we started talking about music. I quickly realised just far removed she was from my listening habits, as most women tend to be, but then she told me about getting goosebumps and chills down her spine from a Lady Gaga song. Oh my word! I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but tried acting all cool about it. I may even have made a somewhat badly timed joke about it, but it was just because I found her words so....erm...wrong perhaps? She was experiencing music in much the same manner as I was - she was a complete music nut who talked to similar people on the internet about whatever new and exciting thing was on the horizon. 
After that experience, I left all of my preservations about "bad" music behind. Bad/beautiful music is, and will always be, in the ear of the beholder. All the other sh*te is merely condescending non-sense from people who think they're smart and specially enlightened because they listen to prog/classical/jazz/trance/polka you name it.

Perceptive post certainly. Some of the most intelligent people I know have no affinity for what esoteric music may or may not have to offer. Several years ago I played a qualified psychiatrist The End by the Doors re the oedipal aspects of the lyrics etc. His response was that although he was intrigued and slightly unnerved by the music, the lyrics were in his estimation those of a dilettante undergraduate who confuses the familiar with the familial. That's not to undermine the worth of Jim Morrison or the Doors as musicians of course, but our response to the messenger is always much more illuminating than the message.

BTW don't diss da polka bomb beeatchCool
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 10:16

Intelligence may not necessarily be a prerequisite for Prog, Classical or Jazz or any music for that matter, but it certainly does help.  I agree that talent is the real factor between a great musician and a not-so-great one.  You can be very intelligent and be a lousy musician.  However, it's hard for me to accept that someone who is intelligent and creative would spend their time listening to Lil Wayne.  Most people I know who I consider to be intelligent want to be challenged.  They want more thought-provoking music, movies & books.  Perhaps it is elitist, but I don't believe it.  What you listen to does influence you though. 

There was a McDonalds in Australia that had trouble with young people hanging out in the parking lot causing trouble and playing loud hip-hop music.  Their solution?  They set up some speakers outside and began playing classical music and opera.  The kids left.  LOL     

Well, we don't all of us have time to explore each and every facet of our life deeply, right?  Music is a passion for me but I make my living as an accountant.  Given what I know of tax, I could legitimately wonder why otherwise intelligent people would not pay enough attention to such an important aspect of their lives which affects them financially.  I am pretty lazy when it comes to gadgets.  It's not that I am too dumb to figure out why such and such phone would be much better for my needs, I just don't feel the need to nor want to pay up so much money for it.  I am happy with a few basic apps, just like intelligent people might be happy with cookie cutter pop music.  There's nothing wrong with them if they do.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 10:20
Originally posted by Isa Isa wrote:

As a younger person I'm quite tired

Damn straight, shame on you, jaded is my departmentLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 10:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

All you have to remember is, and you have to picture this, a child looking out the window and seeing nothing but carnage. For a child it might not make sense, and in this case, this is the power and strength in "Guernica", as it is all slashed, cut and killed in pieces. Every war is like that and the Spanish Civil War was bad and also had other artists involved. Check out Garcia Lorca and some of his contemporaries. Not very pleasant, and all of them crying and hoping for a better day that many of them would never have a chance to see it!

That an art scene survived that carnage is a miracle! Same thing with so much other arts during WW1 and WW2, when it was fashionable to bomb the history of it all, because sometimes it represented something that the new "regime" didn't like, or want!

What Pablo did, took a lot more than "courage" ... and this is the part of ALL progressive artists within their own time, and how "important" they can be ... something that we have a hard time grasping a perspective on.

You are looking at Picasso's work with today's eyes and you are not seeing the horror, the horror, the horror ... that a child can see, and how damaging it can be to their sensibility!

Please be more compassionate about some arts. Most of them are not frivolous exercises in not giving a damn or making some money. Most of them are a TRUE SNAPSHOT of history. This is the reason why so much of the stuff discussed at PA is not a good discussion about the music, instead of favorites. You are not factoring their itty bitty role in the time and place ... because today, so much of it all is so meaningless and empty by comparison, that you and I lose the ability to see more, and otherwise.

I respect your thoughts, and of course Picasso's Cubism, but as i've said - that style can be of such a great timeless spirit to many people, but to be honest not for me.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 10:32
Originally posted by Isa Isa wrote:

Whoever you are, just wanted to say I love your avatar. 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2014 at 10:35
A person does not have to be intelligent to listen to classical, prog or jazz. An intelligent person can be one without listening to any of these three. 

But the music itself, you have to at least be willing to pay more attention and focus on the music itself. That requires not necessarily intelligence but a specific attitude towards music that usually some people have. 

On the other hand, you can be a genius and (for some odd reason)listen to Lil' Wayne. You don't have to be a genius to manufacture that music though.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>