Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWe Are Kin (UK) for Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: We Are Kin (UK) for Crossover Prog
    Posted: March 20 2014 at 04:27
WE ARE KIN is the band based in Manchester, UK. Formed in 2011, they have worked with a variety of lineups until settling on a core song-writing duo. Heavily influenced by the early work of Genesis and later Peter Gabriel they have set-out to create the best songs that they can write in the hope of reaching people who are looking for melodic and passionate music. WE ARE KIN are released their full-leght debut album entitled Pandora in March 2014.

edit: WE ARE KIN are: Gary Boast - drums / sound engineering
Hannah Cotterill - vocals
Daniel Zambas - guitar / keys / bass / vocals 
Alex Dunedin - lyrics

released 17 March 2014 

Edited by Svetonio - June 22 2014 at 04:58
WeAreKin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 04:46
Thanks Svetonio Tongue

Really appreciate you putting us forward. Hope people enjoy our music.

Looking forward to discovering lots of new artists on here, the ones I have come across in the past few days have been really good (Zombie Frogs are Epic!!)

Also the reviews are wonderfully in-depth and already purchased a couple of albums from recommendations (Mike Keneally's Sluggo + You Must Be This Tall).

Thanks for welcoming us to this community.

By the way - everyone should check out Trojan Horse - trojanhorse.bandcamp.com
Wonderful band with bags of potential.

Much appreciated
We Are Kin
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 06:41

And enjoy this I most certainly did. Thumbs Up Not the most outrageously proggy listen I've had in recent days, but enough here I would think to merit an evaluation. However there may yet be a problem that has nothing whatsoever to do with the music. And that is that I found no other web presence for We Are Kin whatsoever. No facebook, myspace, reverbnation or similar - no reviews of the album - nothing on YouTube etc, etc...absolutely Zilch!

Even the bandcamp page itself gives no other links, no information about the album...not even a list of the musicians who created it (and that includes the leading duo - never mind any guests they might have been used in its recording and production Ermm).

I tried various phrases from the text that Sve included in his o.p. in a google search to see if he might have taken it from another website that related to the band, but every time - if I enclosed the phrase in quotes - the only result that was returned was this thread.

A lot of comments have been made on the site lately about the profusion of artists on bandcamp over recent times, and not all of them positive. I personally have no problem with bandcamp whatsoever - there is a Hell of a lot of great music on there which can be freely streamed, purchased and enjoyed, but before it can really be seriously considered for inclusion on progarchives the artist concerned must have taken their project beyond the confines of the bandcamp platform and developed at least a degree of wider Internet exposure.

There is certainly potential in this music, but unless I'm really missing something here, work urgently needs to be done on taking the project to a wider audience, I think, before our collabs are going to consider taking this suggestion any further.

And facebook would be a great place to start. Smile
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 07:49
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

(....)

I tried various phrases from the text that Sve included in his o.p. in a google search to see if he might have taken it from another website that related to the band, but every time - if I enclosed the phrase in quotes - the only result that was returned was this thread. (...)
I asked WeAreKin for bio Smile
Music is fantastic and (imo) well executed 100% prog so that's why I posted this thread although there is a lack of another web presence which is actually not neccessary thing as per rules. 

First, please only suggest bands that have released at least one album and are compatible with our definition of an "official release." If the band is signed to a label, it is almost guaranteed this band fits this definition, but if the band is self-signed, please ensure that the band has recorded their music professionally or in a professional manner and has their music available for purchase or download from a respected source. The availability of a physical medium is preferred, but bands whose music is available solely on iTunes, BandCamp, or a similar website will also be accepted

Edited by Svetonio - March 20 2014 at 08:06
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 09:16
Yeah Sve - you are correct in  what you say here, but the guidance also says in the first of the two suggestion options:

Provide links to the bands official website, websites that have written about the band, or helpful links in general. It also recommends that some basic biographical information about the band (ex. Genesis was formed in 1967...) should be provided.

At the moment we don't have any of this, so it is probably a little early for the suggestion to be in this part of the forum (maybe Unsigned Bands would be better for the time being?)

The band are working on spreading themselves beyond the bandcamp environment, and I'm sure they will give you a bio. And, yes - the music is excellent...but you know what can sometimes happen with bandcamp suggestions that have little or no external web presence...  Embarrassed

I hope that soon this project can be evaluated, but I don't think that our collabs will consider that the time is now.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 09:22

Yeah Sve - you are correct in  what you say here, but the guidance also says in the first of the two suggestion options:

Provide links to the bands official website, websites that have written about the band, or helpful links in general. It also recommends that some basic biographical information about the band (ex. Genesis was formed in 1967...) should be provided.

At the moment we don't have any of this, so it is probably a little early for the suggestion to be in this part of the forum (maybe Unsigned Bands would be better for the time being?)

The band are working on spreading themselves beyond the bandcamp environment, and I'm sure they will give you a bio. And, yes - the music is excellent...but you know what can sometimes happen with bandcamp suggestions that have little or no external web presence...  Embarrassed

I hope that soon this project can be evaluated, but I don't think that our collabs will consider that the time is now.

I don't care what you think that the collabs would think. This is a legitimate suggestion.
WeAreKin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 09:36

Thanks both Sve and Yam Yam for the feedback - we have been taken by surprise here Tongue

We have spent 12 months recording our album and being reclusive useless musicians had not even considered how we were going to promote ourselves and generate a web presence! We were so pleased to finally finish our work that we uploaded to bandcamp to get ourselves started!

Taken on board your feedback and you're absolutely right so we have today spent time putting together a youtube video and facebook page and began to engage with other artists and an audience.

4 people have contributed to this album and due to not being able to perform (at least to the level we would want) we are keeping ourselves outside of the music hoping that an audience will take at as it is. Whether that is right or wrong remains to be seen but we'll see how it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38X17j5EWwY&feature=youtu.be
https://www.facebook.com/wearekinband
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 11:28
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I don't care what you think that the collabs would think. This is a legitimate suggestion.

Yes, it's a legitimate suggestion, and maybe I'm wrong to try to second guess how our collabs will view it. I'm just going on how previous suggestions for virtually unknown bandcamp artists have fared in this part of the forum. We'll only know for sure how they'll react when one of them comes along and actually comments.  Embarrassed

But it's certainly a flying start on facebook - 20 'likes' already...including mine!

And here's the video for the closing instrumental (piano solo) off the album:

Great stuff!  Cool
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 12:03

Yes, it's a legitimate suggestion, and maybe I'm wrong to try to second guess how our collabs will view it. I'm just going on how previous suggestions for virtually unknown bandcamp artists have fared in this part of the forum. We'll only know for sure how they'll react when one of them comes along and actually comments. (...)
You should not feel so free to criticize my suggestion due to lack of other web presence, because you was letting the suggestion on the same way... (with some apologies, of course - you're a good guy)

Quote Apologies for a very short post - I know nothing at all about this band except what is on bandcamp (which isn't much), but just have a listen to this...

Stunning melodic Prog Metal! Approve

I love it to bits!

Edited by Svetonio - March 20 2014 at 12:53
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 12:20
I moved this to the unsigned part of the forumSmile

And you may want to rethink how you deal with people who do nothing but help you, Svetonio. Yam has been your most helpful friend around these parts, and when he rightfully points something out in your suggestion - here it's the fact that this belongs in the unsigned area, you snarl at him. 
Be careful which bridges you decide to burn.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 12:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I moved this to the unsigned part of the forumSmile

And you may want to rethink how you deal with people who do nothing but help you, Svetonio. Yam has been your most helpful friend around these parts, and when he rightfully points something out in your suggestion - here it's the fact that this belongs in the unsigned area, you snarl at him. 
Be careful which bridges you decide to burn.

Absolutely agree, David.

Svetonio, try not to be so damned rude!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2014 at 12:43

Yes, it's a legitimate suggestion, and maybe I'm wrong to try to second guess how our collabs will view it. I'm just going on how previous suggestions for virtually unknown bandcamp artists have fared in this part of the forum. We'll only know for sure how they'll react when one of them comes along and actually comments. (...)
You should not feel so free to criticize my suggestion for the lack of other web presence, because you was letting the suggestion on the same way... (with some apologies, of course - you're a good guy)

Quote Apologies for a very short post - I know nothing at all about this band except what is on bandcamp (which isn't much), but just have a listen to this...

Stunning melodic Prog Metal! Approve

I love it to bits!

Yes Sve - you are entirely correct. I shouldn't have posted this suggestion where I did. It was an absolute blinder of an album though, and I just wanted it to be heard by as many people as possible. I fully expected it not to get approved for addition due to the lack of information available at the time, and indeed it was a damn close call.

If Chad hadn't taken the trouble to register on the forum just to make his one post with a bit of band history, and Thanos hadn't managed to dig up some info which correlated with it, then it would have been a no-no.

These types of suggestions without additional web presence to support them really are 'pushing it' a bit, and I was aware of this - hence my mention of the lack of info in the introduction to the (very brief!) post.

The Zentraedi bandcamp did at least have full details of all the musicians involved, and the album mixing and mastering details, so a very basic addition was technically possible using just this information, but in the case of We Are Kin there is currently no information at all on bandcamp other than the tracklist and timings - so even the addition of the album would be somewhat incomplete as things stand at the moment.

Hopefully they will update both the bandcamp and facebook pages to provide all the necessary information for an eventual addition (if approved by the Crossover team), and everything will be fine in the end. Thumbs Up
StDavis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 11:11
I will have to check them out. 
WeAreKin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 18:53

Created a new video for a series of creative writing pieces.This has been a great learning experience for us; the first video was just a piano / second is a multi tracked video / next step is a video for our album using what we have learned so far. Hope you all enjoy,

Cheers
We Are Kin

WeAreKin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 18:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wChMSSPaPU0

Can't make the hyperlink embed the vid - Yam Yam, what's the process?

Cheers
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 19:27
WeAreKin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 19:38
Thanks Svetonio, much appreciated Smile
www.wearekinband.com
Our new album Pandora is available to stream now
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 04:58
Originally posted by WeAreKin WeAreKin wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wChMSSPaPU0

Can't make the hyperlink embed the vid - Yam Yam, what's the process?

Cheers

You can use the 'insert movie' gizmo in the full post editor (the ladder-like icon in the middle of the top row), though this can be a bit temperamental at times. You can get round it though by simply using the Bulletin Board code that the gizmo actually generates directly in your post - ie. [TUBE ][/TUBE ] (without the spaces that I have inserted here after the E of each TUBE to prevent it from trying to do its job while there is nothing between the brackets for it to actually work with). All you then need to do is insert the 11-character YouTube video identifier (the bit that comes after the watch?v=) in between the two sets of brackets, and your video will be embedded.

Hope this helps. Smile

Edited by yam yam - March 23 2014 at 05:06
mogol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2014 at 01:47
WeAreKin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 17:35
batzbatz.com/prog/318842-we-are-kin-pandora-2014.html

Turns out we have been "torrented" :) we are totally cool with this as the album is free to download.

Yam and Svet, thanks again for your interest and support back in March when we released the album and hope you're both doing well!

Cheers
Dan
www.wearekinband.com
Our new album Pandora is available to stream now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>