FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConcept Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concept Albums
    Posted: March 21 2014 at 18:53
Hey I just wanted to hear what everyone's favorite concept albums are! What their story is, how the artist structures it, etc. Mainly because I can't seem to isolate them here on PA and I'm always curious to hear a new story.

Thanks!
kingesis2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2014 at 19:43
I love The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway: answering your question I love everything on it, the story the artwork and obviously the music Wink
"Cranberry sauce" The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2014 at 20:21
For me, it would have to be Wish You Were Here. As a freshman in college, I spent a week sitting outside the student union, in line for tickets for the Grateful Dead. At the time, I had no idea who the Grateful Dead were, nor did I know what their music sounded like. We got tickets, and then I listened to some Grateful Dead music. Hated them, so I sold my ticket. The night of the concert, with all my friends gone, I sat in a darkened dorm room, beer in hand, and put the needle down onto an album a friend had loaned me - Wish You Were Here. I was instantly mesmerized. To this day, every time I listen to this album, I am immediately transported back to that darkened dorm room...
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2014 at 21:56
Here's my top five:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - Bowie (not a bad song in the bunch)
Thick as a Brick - Tull (great concept made greater by the fantastic album cover design)
Quadrophenia - The Who (their most mature and involving album)
Dark Side of the Moon - Floyd (sonically perfect)
Days of Future Passed - The Moody Blues (one of the most beautiful rock albums ever created)

Edited by The Dark Elf - March 21 2014 at 21:57
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 04:25
Not mentioned yet: Ayreon - The Human Equation

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 08:44
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Here's my top five:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - Bowie (not a bad song in the bunch)
Thick as a Brick - Tull (great concept made greater by the fantastic album cover design)
Quadrophenia - The Who (their most mature and involving album)
Dark Side of the Moon - Floyd (sonically perfect)
Days of Future Passed - The Moody Blues (one of the most beautiful rock albums ever created)

Excellent choices!  Clap

I would also include Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes.  Sprawling, beautiful, thought-provoking.  An all around great album.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 09:45
Triumvirat-Illusions On A Double Dimple
Triumvirat-Spartacus

You can relate to Illusions if you have ever been "down and out", it being the story of someone who loses their job, and feels like hell afterwards.
                        If ever there was a concept album about an individual fighting a rotten and decayed "system", Spartacus fits the bill. The effort of the true life gladiator who led a revolt against Imperial Rome is depicted, but  he and his followers are defeated in the end. Sad, but heroic and moving are the lyrics and music.

Edited by presdoug - March 22 2014 at 09:46
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 10:08
Some of my favourites

Neal Morse - ?  Based on the Tabernacle/Temple of the Old  Testament and it's fulfillment in the New

Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura  The story of Martin Luther and his conflict with the corrupt medieval church

Argus - Wishbone Ash 

Dark Side Of The Moon

The Snow Goose - Camel

The Whirlwind - Transatlantic

Snow - Spock's Beard (similar theme to Tommy or The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway)

Edited by AlanB - March 22 2014 at 10:10
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 10:25
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Devin Townsend presents Ziltoid The Omniscient
The Who - Quadrophenia
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Blur - 13
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love
Camel - The Snow Goose
Carach Angren - Where The Corpses Sink Forever
Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
Cradle Of Filth - Cruelty And The Beast
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade Of Gray
Gentle Giant - Three Friends, Power And Glory, Interview, In A Glass House
Haken - Visions
Iron Maiden - 7th Son Of A 7th Son
Judas Priest - Nostradamus
The Kinks - Preservation Act 1 and 2
Magma - most of them
Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Men WIthout Hats - Pop Goes The World
Modest Mouse - The Moon And Antactica
Nocturnus - The Key
Pink Floyd - Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing, Fear Of A...
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
Radiohead - OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac
The Tubes - Remote Control
Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
Zappa - Thing-Fish, Absolutely Free and more!

Just a few i like but hardly everything. Some of these are only mildly conceptional but count

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 12:32
Hi,

I'm all for these and I can add many to the list, but there are way too many rock bands that create a "concept album" and it is not, and just has a bunch of songs that supposedly add up to this idea or whatever, and I don't think that "fits" the description or the wording for the "concept" within a literary context, let's say! In other words, very few of these are really meaningful and valid as a true story/concept per proper/concise definition.

Rock music, takes a lot of liberties, and distorting the definitions is often the first one, and that helps create some sub-divisions and stuff, for websites like this one, that in essence are not valid if one follows the dictionary definition of the word.

There are, however, many pieces that are much better "centered" and designed, that I feel help define the "progressive" circus a lot better than half the listings made here.

Of note, would be the more complete pieces that are not just a song or two!

Roger Waters - Ca Ira (no guitar? No one will listen to it!)

Pink Floyd - The Wall - the original with the material that ended up in "The Final Cut" so the story makes better sense with the parents! (compare this to any other PF album!)

Nektar - Remember the Future (compare this to "Recycled")

Le Orme - Felona e Serona

And then you get to the classical music ones! So, because the music was like this and that, that's supposed to tell you a story about this and that?

Edited by moshkito - March 22 2014 at 12:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 14:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm all for these and I can add many to the list, but there are way too many rock bands that create a "concept album" and it is not, and just has a bunch of songs that supposedly add up to this idea or whatever, and I don't think that "fits" the description or the wording for the "concept" within a literary context, let's say! In other words, very few of these are really meaningful and valid as a true story/concept per proper/concise definition.

I sorta see why this disappoints you Pedro but your expectations of form are completely unrealistic. Music is music and literature is stubbornly...always literature. Not even Opera/Ballet* has managed to synthesize the sonic, theatrical, dance and textual realms into a completely satisfying whole that does justice to all four disciplines (Have you ever read one of Mozart's Operas? the music's great but the librettos make Chitty Chitty Bang Bang appear labyrinthine.) Unfortunately you are not in a literary context you are in a musical context with Progressive Rock.
The heart of Prog's innate weakness was being largely populated by long winded instrumentalists who couldn't string two words together. *You'll notice I've left Cinema out of my list (because that's your stated realm and I ain't gonna go thereWink)
Yes, there are quite a few pseudo concept albums which are just a selection of songs hastily sheltering under a flimsy thematic umbrella but most of these appear to be deemed so only by their fans who clearly need a weather man to tell them which way the wind blows/sucks.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 14:54
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Hi,

I sorta see why this disappoints you Pedro but your expectations of form are completely unrealistic. Music is music and literature is stubbornly...always literature. Not even Opera/Ballet* has managed to synthesize the sonic, theatrical, dance and textual realms into a completely satisfying whole that does justice to all four disciplines (Have you ever read one of Mozart's Operas? the music's great but the librettos make Chitty Chitty Bang Bang appear labyrinthine.) Unfortunately you are not in a literary context you are in a musical context with Progressive Rock.
The heart of Prog's innate weakness was being largely populated by long winded instrumentalists who couldn't string two words together. *You'll notice I've left Cinema out of my list (because that's your stated realm and I ain't gonna go thereWink)...

And you are suggesting that other "classical" instrumentalists and musicians could? I'll tell you what! A Vivaldi, Bach or Albinoni, wouldn't be as good today as the Rolling Stones or most rock'n'roll bands, musically!

Music is also ... stubbornly always "music". An IDEA.

Literature is also an IDEA, and I accept that.

The point is that what has been considered a part of the history of music, of art (get Jensen's History of Art), and or literature, is there for a reason, and that usually points out to a lot more than we give credit for in here (for example) for any of the music, and I want to elevate that because there is a lot of stuff that was, and IS, being done that stands up to the history of the art form extremelly well, except that some of us don't think that "pop" music fits. What we're on about, is NOT, "pop music".

The standards are different, just not stupid and stuck up like the local symphony that thinks Frank Zappa is a sheep dip! But then it also means they never heard anything except the enemma bandeet or something like it!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 20:59

Hi,

The heart of Prog's innate weakness was being largely populated by long winded instrumentalists who couldn't string two words together. *You'll notice I've left Cinema out of my list (because that's your stated realm and I ain't gonna go thereWink)...

And you are suggesting that other "classical" instrumentalists and musicians could? I'll tell you what! A Vivaldi, Bach or Albinoni, wouldn't be as good today as the Rolling Stones or most rock'n'roll bands, musically!

Music is also ... stubbornly always "music". An IDEA.

Literature is also an IDEA, and I accept that.

The point is that what has been considered a part of the history of music, of art (get Jensen's History of Art), and or literature, is there for a reason, and that usually points out to a lot more than we give credit for in here (for example) for any of the music, and I want to elevate that because there is a lot of stuff that was, and IS, being done that stands up to the history of the art form extremelly well, except that some of us don't think that "pop" music fits. What we're on about, is NOT, "pop music".

The standards are different, just not stupid and stuck up like the local symphony that thinks Frank Zappa is a sheep dip! But then it also means they never heard anything except the enemma bandeet or something like it!

No, I'm actually saying the exact opposite and without any ambivalence either: I don't believe anyone from either the classical or popular music spheres has fused the disparate elements of dance/music/theatre and literature into a satisfying whole that does justice to all four elements. We're talking about concept albums by Progressive Rock groups remember, which divorced from the live performance realm, are a fusion of textual and musical ingredients. If Vivaldi, Bach or Albinoni were still alive today they would all still conspire to look younger and better dressed than Keith Richards, but I digress: to suggest that the Stones are better musically than these composers when the former haven't released an album of credible merit for over 30 years rather beggars belief. I'm a huge Stones fan but would be the first to admit that their oeuvre is that of a distillation and refinement of primitive blues, folk and pop forms. Why does pop music you like cease to be pop music Pedro? (is it because you simply cannot bear the thought that those with half your intellect enjoy it just as much, if not more than you do and for all the right reasons?) I think I'll pass on Jensen's History of Art because I suspect it's full of the sort of self serving academia that the counter culture you profess to have lived through, was designed to eradicate. Sometimes a person's pride can be greater than their love. So here's a joke by Martin Amis to illustrate:

…Did you ever hear the one about the Jewish mother who ran along the beach shouting, “Help, help, my son the doctor is drowning!”?

skreamer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 21:47
How 'bout Marillion's Misplaced Childhood or it's follow-up Clutching At Straws? The All-European album from Galleon is pretty amazing stuff too!
skreamer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 22:05
I also agree with Octopus-4. Although all Ayreon albums are concept albums. Explorers' Club made 2 decent concept albums. Riverside has a few great concept albums. I don't know any Glass Hammer album which isn't a concept album. Hawkwind is a bit more psychedelic but has also great concept albums.How about the New York-based band Izz? Their last 3 albums all have a concept or story to tell. Kaipa has a couple of great concept albums too! The list is a bit long so I think I'll stop there for now!
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 22:19

Sometimes a person's pride can be greater than their love.

"Sometimes a person's pride can be greater than their love."
Hey, right on - that's one of the biggest problems of our society nowadays... Very well pointed.

Talking about the topic, i'd rather be sincere, i have rarely paid attention to the lyrics of the music in general, my concern is if it's kind of a weird problem of myself indeed, like a difficulty and/or laziness of myself when listening to any music, also if it's in my mother language. I don't know if it's related to memory matters, just saying this all because my mother suffers from Alzheimer's.

But regarding the topic content, very interesting what you pointed about the Mozart's Operas - what does that librettos indeed stand for?

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 22:25

I love a lot of the albums mentioned thus far. Great examples! Lamb was my first thought too.

Ones I love and haven't seen listed yet are:

The Perfect Element Pt. 1 and Remedy Lane - Pain of Salvation.

Still Life and Ghost Reveries - Opeth

Second Life Syndrome, Anno Domini High Definition, and Shrine of New Generation Slaves - Riverside

The Mountain - Haken

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 22:28
)
Originally posted by kingesis2 kingesis2 wrote:

I love The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway: answering your question I love everything on it, the story the artwork and obviously the music Wink

Me too, agree 100%---but I also have a special place for (see avatarSmile
ebil0505 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 15:01
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

For me, it would have to be Wish You Were Here. As a freshman in college, I spent a week sitting outside the student union, in line for tickets for the Grateful Dead. At the time, I had no idea who the Grateful Dead were, nor did I know what their music sounded like. We got tickets, and then I listened to some Grateful Dead music. Hated them, so I sold my ticket. The night of the concert, with all my friends gone, I sat in a darkened dorm room, beer in hand, and put the needle down onto an album a friend had loaned me - Wish You Were Here. I was instantly mesmerized. To this day, every time I listen to this album, I am immediately transported back to that darkened dorm room...

That's a really cool story
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 04:08
Every album's a concept album.

I assume stated thematic narrative? But not say, War by U2 or Bad Girls by Giorgio Moroder (whose inclusion in PA as a suites of music creator makes the Prog Disco sub genre an interesting idea). Oh, and Sandininsta by The Clash proving punk can be at least as pretentious and appalling ( I know I've sat through it) as any prog album they vilified.  Enough comedy.

I like ones by Univers Zero and Present. Especially Rhythmix, possibly not quite so much for say, Clivages. Of course it's instrumental so that makes it (Rhythmix) easy for me to follow. When the musical (not literary) narrative is clear from the continuity of the music  then pretty much everything can be a concept album.

Zappa has loads of 'em and Magma have a concept career.

To an extent I tend to view Floyd in the same narrative light from when Roger Took up his stethoscope and walked, through to Atom Heart Mother, The Ron Geesin album, to The Wall and Final Cut has having such linkage. It's not as though he just had several single entity ideas but one big idea looked at, and expressed through different ways. That of life.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>