Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson Albums - Best To Worst

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 16:11
1. Red
2. ITCOTCK
3. Larks
4. Lizard
5. SABB
6. Islands
7. Discipline
8. ITWOP

sticking to the ones I own, just to be fair.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 17:27
Posiedon-9/10
Lizard-8.5/10
Three of a perfect pair-8/10
Red-7.5/10
Larks-7.5/10
In the court-7/10

Kind of stopped collecting after that.

All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
mike1259 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike1259 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2017 at 02:23
     I posted an opinion here 3 years ago admitting I rarely listened to the 2nd trilogy (Discipline, Beat, Three Of A Perfect Pair) and am here to report that since then I've come to appreciated those three albums in a huge way. It would seem at the earlier time I was using single full-range drivers (which I love) and I've discovered since then KC calls for large speakers with 2 or three drivers and high-quality crossovers. It would seem compression sets in otherwise and muddles the sound.
     Yes, accessibility is not a factor when one is served up such dazzling musicianship. At this point I consider all three equal and each complementing the other two. I understand the Chapman Stick will put off some(Evoking memories of 'Seinfeld") but one person's wart could be a beauty mark to others.
   Buford's 'batterie' here shows he did indeed evolve and mounted the summit reserved for the finest world-class drummers of any genre. Likewise der Frippmeister could not have played his instrument any better. Though not quite as good as that 1st trilogy I'm very pleased overall and fortunate to have re-explored the KC cannon.
Mavil64 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mavil64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 07:07
I'll rate only the albums that I've listened to from start to finish.

1.Lark's Tongue In Aspic 20/20
2.Lizard 20/20 (Could easily be in #1 but decided to put it second due to the fact that I listen to LTIA more)
3.Red 19/20
4.Islands 18/20
5.In the Court of the Crimson King 18/20 (I didn't enjoy I Talk to the Wind even though all the others were         amazing. Even more than many songs above this but due to this fact I had to rate it down)
6.In the Wake of Poseidon 17/20

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 11:29
KC havenīt made any bad album. Anyway hereīs my order:
1. In the Court
2. Red
3. Lizard
4. Larks Tongues In Aspic
5. In the Wake Of Poseidon
6. Starless & Bible Black
7. Islands
8. THRAK
9. Discipline
10. the ConstruKction Of Light
11. the Power to Believe
12. Beat
13. Three of a Perfect Pair
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 16:37
For me, the four absolute must own KC classics are Red, Larks Tongues, In the Court, and Discipline, so my order would be:

1. Red
2. Larks Tongues in Aspic
3. Discipline
4. In The Court of The Crimson King
5. Starless and Bible Black
6. Lizard
7. Beat
8. Three of a Perfect Pair
9. In the Wake of Poseidon
10. The Power to Believe
11. Islands
12. THRAK
13. VROOM
14. The ConstruKction of Light
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 17:56
^ Agreed. These four are the essential KC.

My personal order of preference:

1. Larks Tongues In Aspic
2. Discipline
3. Starless & Bible Black
4. Court
5. Lizard
6. Red
7. Islands
8. Beat
9. The Power to Believe
10. THRAK
11. The ConstruKction Of Light
12. Poseidon
13. Three of a Perfect Pair
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 21:25
Here is my list of the studio albums. Not only is Red my fav album, but Starless is one of my fav pieces of music, ever

1) Red
2) Discipline
3) Larks' Tongues in Aspic
4) In the Court of the Crimson King
5) Starless and Bible Black
6) Three of a Perfect Pair
7) Thrak
8) Beat
9) Lizard
10) In the Wake of Poseidon
11) The Power to Believe
12) Islands
13) The ConstruKction of Light
14) A Scarcity of Miracles
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 08:17
Larks' Tongues In Aspic 10/10
In The Court Of The Crimson King 10/10
Red 10/10
Starless And Bible Black 10/10
Lizard 8.5/10
Discipline 8/10
Islands 7.5/10
In The Wake Of Poseidon 7/10
Thrak 7/10
Three Of A Perfect Pair 6.5/10
The Power To Believe 6/10
A Scarcity Of Miracles 6/10
The ConstruKction Of Light 5.5/10
Beat 4/10
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2019 at 13:30
Just going with the ones I own.
  LTIA
  Starless & Bible Black
  Red
  Discipline
  ITCOTCK

I've heard bits & pieces from others but not enough to rank them against these. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 00:03
Red
Power To Believe
ITCHYCOCK
The other seventies albums
Eighties stuff

Whamdaddy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whamdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2019 at 09:17
Red
Lizards
Islands
court
Larks
Poisiden

then they all kinda jumble together

Edited by Whamdaddy - April 09 2019 at 09:19
The Wham Daddy
Ozexpat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozexpat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 18:52
1. Red
2. Larks Tongues In Aspic
3. Discipline
4. Starless & Bible Black
5. In the Court
6. Lizard
7. Islands
8. THRAK = the ConstruKction Of Light = the Power to Believe = Beat = Three of a Perfect Pair.
And for a moment when our world had filled the skies, Magic turned our eyes,
To feast on the treasure set for our strange device
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 08:10
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 09:50
Discipline
Red
Beat
Three of a Perfect Pair
Lizard
Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Thrak
In the Court of the Crimson King
Starless and Bible Black
The Power to Believe
In the Wake of Poseidon
Islands
The ConstruKCtion of Light

Actually they're all very good, down to the last rank. What I really don't like is Earthbound, but that's live.

Edited by Lewian - April 14 2019 at 09:51
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 09:58
I don't know the later ones so I'm only going to do the ones I'm familiar with(70's and 80's). Ranked from favorite to least favorite:

LTIA
ITCOTCK
ITWOP
Red
Lizard
SABB
Discipline
TOAPP
Islands
Beat

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2019 at 16:38
I haven't finished to listen and evaluate (and write the reviews on) KC discography.

At the moment:

FIVE STARS
1. In The Court Of The Crimson King (9,5/10)
2. Red (9+/10)
3. Islands (9/10)
-------
FOUR AND A HALF STARS
4. Larks' Tongues In Aspic (9-/10)
5. Lizard (9-/10)
------
FOUR STARS
6. The Power To Believe (8,5/10)
7. Starless And Bible Black (8+/10)
8. Beat (8+/10)
-----
THREE STARS
9. Discipline (8-/10)
10. In The Wake Of Poseidon (7,5/10)
-----
TWO STARS
11. Three of a Perfect Pair (7-/10)
12. THRAK (6,5/10)
13. The ConstruKction Of Light ??

Edited by jamesbaldwin - April 14 2019 at 16:41
"Happiness is real only when shared"
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 04:36
Discipline > Three of a Perfect Pair > Red > Beat > The Power to Believe > Starless and Bible Black > The ConstruKction of Light > Larks' Tongues in Aspic > Lizard > Islands > In the Court of the Crimson King > In the Wake of Poseidon
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 05:25
Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

Discipline > Three of a Perfect Pair > Red > Beat > The Power to Believe > Starless and Bible Black > The ConstruKction of Light > Larks' Tongues in Aspic > Lizard > Islands > In the Court of the Crimson King > In the Wake of Poseidon

Interesting!  TOAPP as the second best KC album and ITCOTCK as the second worst.
I guess everyone's taste is different, but I think your ranking would be considered "non-standard".
I agree with you that Discipline is a great album though, and great to see Beat ranked higher than some others on this site would rank it.
Songs cast a light on you
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 06:19
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

Interesting!  TOAPP as the second best KC album and ITCOTCK as the second worst.
I guess everyone's taste is different, but I think your ranking would be considered "non-standard".
I agree with you that Discipline is a great album though, and great to see Beat ranked higher than some others on this site would rank it.

I enjoy prog but, to be quite honest, I've fallen out of love with the type of bombast you might get out of symphonic prog records that you'd find on the Greg Lake era. I think a lot of ITCOTCK is a bit dated. Influential, important and essential yes. But just for me I find it in 2019 to be a bit... well... silly.

I enjoy prog with more modernity (it is in the genre's name after all) and a more current political and social consciousness as well as a more pop and rhythm based aesthetic.

Edited by DreamTechPlus - April 21 2019 at 06:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>