Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson Albums - Best To Worst

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 13:07
[QUOTE=DreamTechPlus
I enjoy prog but, to be quite honest, I've fallen out of love with the type of bombast you might get out of symphonic prog records that you'd find on the Greg Lake era. I think a lot of ITCOTCK is a bit dated. Influential, important and essential yes. But just for me I find it in 2019 to be a bit... well... silly.

I enjoy prog with more modernity (it is in the genre's name after all) and a more current political and social consciousness as well as a more pop and rhythm based aesthetic.

I'm not a big fan of Greg Lake, and I don't like ELP very much.  I would agree that ELP can be bombastic at times.

I don't think I would describe ITCOTCK as "bombastic" though.  A bit dated in parts, yes, possibly, which is partly why I don't rate it as the best KC album or the best ever prog rock album (as some do), although it's importance in the history of prog rock cannot be denied.

What I don't accept though, is the idea that modern prog rock should be rated more highly than classic prog rock, simply on account of it being newer.

My understanding of the term "progressive" rock is that it was called "progressive" because the songs progressed from one point to another, rather like a symphony, as opposed to constantly repeating themselves, as in the standard verse/chorus pop song.

in other words "progressive" doesn't imply some imperative to constantly "progress" into the future and reinvent the music, rather it simply describes the structural form of progressive rock music.

Anyway, keep enjoying the music.

Edited by Chaser - April 21 2019 at 13:11
Songs cast a light on you
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2019 at 21:33
I think the social consciousness of ITCOCK is still applicable today, expressed in songs like "I Talk to the Wind" and "Epitaph".  Not that it needs to be judged in those terms mind you, but I think it holds up quite well in that regard

Edited by kenethlevine - April 21 2019 at 21:33
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 00:08
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

What I don't accept though, is the idea that modern prog rock should be rated more highly than classic prog rock, simply on account of it being newer.

I don't think I said that. I hope that wasn't the inference you got. I can only speak for me and my preferences, and that's how I phrase my sentiments about music.

What I meant was that I prefer prog whose aesthetic, cultural and sonic choices veered more towards the contemporary, which need not necessarily be about strictly age.

I would argue, for instance, that Third by Soft Machine for its awareness of jazz and funk and proclivity towards a more urban palette of music influences is a much more modernistic album than, say, the mysticism and fantastic imagery of a Flower Kings album, despite the latter being much more recent.

Likewise, 80s King Crimson for its inclusion of new wave and funk rock styles in its palette as well as its narrative nods to Jack Kerouac, inner-city America and post-war malaise speaks to me more than the mythological imagery, medievalism and ersatz spirituality of the earlier albums. Give me Thela Hun Ginjeet over Lizard, if you please.

Edited by DreamTechPlus - April 22 2019 at 00:09
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 03:57
Originally posted by DreamTechPlus DreamTechPlus wrote:

Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

I don't think I said that. I hope that wasn't the inference you got. I can only speak for me and my preferences, and that's how I phrase my sentiments about music.

What I meant was that I prefer prog whose aesthetic, cultural and sonic choices veered more towards the contemporary, which need not necessarily be about strictly age.

I would argue, for instance, that Third by Soft Machine for its awareness of jazz and funk and proclivity towards a more urban palette of music influences is a much more modernistic album than, say, the mysticism and fantastic imagery of a Flower Kings album, despite the latter being much more recent.

Likewise, 80s King Crimson for its inclusion of new wave and funk rock styles in its palette as well as its narrative nods to Jack Kerouac, inner-city America and post-war malaise speaks to me more than the mythological imagery, medievalism and ersatz spirituality of the earlier albums. Give me Thela Hun Ginjeet over Lizard, if you please.

Thanks for the clarification DTP.  Yes, I understand you better now, and I'm more inclined to agree with you.  I agree that the best albums are those that sound fresh and relevant regardless of when they were created.

"Third" is an album that I rate very highly and it sounds as cutting edge today as it must have done when it was first released.

I agree with you about 80's King Crimson.  I regard "Discipline" as an essential classic and "Beat" as an excellent album also.

"Lizard" can sound very 1970's in parts, especially a track like "Indoor Games", although I have to say that I saw KC live in London last year, and the medley from Lizard was extremely enjoyable, and hearing it live made it sound much fresher.

"Red" from 1974 sounds as fresh and relevant today as it did when I first listened to it 30 years ago.

The very best albums do indeed have a timeless quality to them

Songs cast a light on you
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2019 at 16:14
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Discipline
LTIA
Lizard
The Power To Believe
Red
In The Court...
Three Of A Perfect Pair
In The Wake...
SABB
The ConstruKction...
Islands
Thrak
Beat

Slight update for me five years later:

Discipline
LTIA
Lizard
Red
The Power To Believe
In The Court...
Three Of A Perfect Pair
SABB
The ConstruKCtion...
In The Wake...
Islands
Beat
Thrak
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
kaiofelipe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaiofelipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2019 at 14:59
1. In The Court of The Crimson King
2. Red
3. Discipline
4. Larks' Tongues in Aspic
5. Starless and Bible Black
6. Lizard
7. In The Wake of Poseidon
8. Thrak
9. Three of a Perfect Pair
10. Beat

P.S.: If the top 10 can include live albums, then Absent Lovers would be at #4, USA / Live at Asbury Park at #6 and The Night Watch at #9.

Edited by kaiofelipe - May 09 2019 at 15:00
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2019 at 12:26
Super important tier, mega amazing albums of eternal significance:
1. Red
2. In the Court of the Crimson King

Excellent tier:
3. Discipline
5. THRAK
6. The ConstruKction of Light

Very good albums that I almost love but which are meaningful to me for non-musical reasons:
7. Islands

Very good albums that I almost love:
8. The Power to Believe
9. Three of a Perfect Pair
10. Beat

Least favorites and probably should listen to them more:
11. Lizard
12. Starless and Bible Black
13. In the Wake of Poseidon

Edited by Erenan - May 10 2019 at 15:21
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 00:23
My favorite King Crimson Albums:
1. Islands 
2. In the Court of the Crimson King

Top Tier King Crimson Albums:
3. Lizard
5. Red

Mid-tier King Crimson Albums:
6. Starless Bible and Black
7. In the Wake of Poseidon
8. The Power to Believe
9. Discipline
10. The ConstruKction of Light

King Crimson Albums I barely, if ever listen to:
11. THRAK
12. Three of a Perfect Pair
13. Beat
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 15:38
My second favorite band!

Starting with my least favorite

13: Construction Of Light
The title track and FraKtured are great, the rest gives me a headache

12: Beat
This ones got some good songs, just kinda poor in comparison to the rest of the discography

11: Three of a Perfect Pair
Same deal as beat, the title track is good as is model man, nauges is also quite cool. Larks part 3 is the highlight

10: In the Wake of Poseidon
This album is quite mixed, it opens with what I believe to be one of the best king crimson songs and is followed by the beautiful cadence and cascade. Wake of Poseidon just sounds too much like epitaph, side two is quite weak but still interesting

9: Thrak
This is hard to put at 9 because it is quite a good album, not really any weaker tracks, dinosaur annoys me a bit but I just like the others better

8: Power to Believe
I honestly love this album, I don't have anything bad to say about it

7: Discipline
I always see this at the top of peoples rankings, side one is very very good side two is a bit mixed for me, the title track is probably the low point for me, still a great album.

6: Islands 
This was very hard to pick between this and lizard, this album is truly beautiful, love every second of it

5: Lizard
Just a magical album, also quite heavy at times. There's just so much to keep coming back to here

4: Starless and Bible Black
I was tempted to put this at 3. This contains some of my absolute favorite work with The Night Watch and Fracture as well as a favorite The Great Deceiver. Easily one of their best.

3: Larks Tongues in Aspic
A big milestone for the band, love it all the way though. Easy Money and the Talking Drum are my two favorites

2: Red
Heres when things go from great to amazing. First of all, starless is the best song ever made. The rest is just amazing. What can I say

1: Court of the Crimson King
If starless is my favorite, 21st century, Epitaph and Court are my number 2, 3 and 4. Just a perfect album
LakesideRitchie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRitchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2019 at 14:26

From worst to best:

13 The ConstruKction of Light
12 Starless and Bible Black
11 In the Wake of Poseidon
10 Islands
09 Beat
08 Three of a Perfect Pair
07 The Power to Believe
06 Thrak
05 Larks’ Tongues in Aspic
04 Discipline
03 In the Court of the Crimson King
02 Red
01 Lizard

Yes, I'm one of those people who think Lizard in Crimso's best output!

Edited by LakesideRitchie - June 24 2019 at 14:28
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 16:47
1. In the Court of the Crimson King 5 stars
2. In the Wake of Poseidon 4 stars
3. Lizard 3 stars
4. Islands 3 stars
5. Larks' Tongues in Aspic 2 stars
6. Starless and Bible Black 2 stars
7. Red 3 stars
8. Discipline 2 stars
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 17:38
Surprised I never got around to this...

1. In the Court of the Crimson King
2. Lark's Tongue in Aspic
3. Red
4. Lizard
5. Starless and Bible Black
6. In the Wake of Poseidon
7. Islands
8. Everything else
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 22:01
Already made this 2018, but here´s reprise (haven´t changed my mind):
KC haven´t made any bad album. Anyway here´s my order:
1. In the Court
2. Red
3. Lizard
4. Larks Tongues In Aspic
5. In the Wake Of Poseidon
6. Starless & Bible Black
7. Islands
8. THRAK
9. Discipline
10. the ConstruKction Of Light
11. the Power to Believe
12. Beat
13. Three of a Perfect Pair

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 22:02
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

3. Lizard 3 stars
4. Islands 3 stars
7. Red 3 stars
8. Discipline 2 stars
I really don´t understand you but...there are many people in this world I don´t understand (probably you also don´t me)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 00:34
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

3. Lizard 3 stars
4. Islands 3 stars
7. Red 3 stars
8. Discipline 2 stars
I really don´t understand you but...there are many people in this world I don´t understand (probably you also don´t me)

It all comes down to a matter of personal choice. I'm sure you'll agree with my rating for King Crimson's universally acclaimed first album though. Smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 02:57
I feel the same way Mårtte but then again this very site would be horrendously boring if we all shared the same tastes.
Crimson’s finest period is obviously from Lizard to Discipline
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 03:35
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I feel the same way Mårtte but then again this very site would be horrendously boring if we all shared the same tastes.
I listened to King Crimson's first eight albums just a few days ago in preparation for choosing my favourite eight songs for the Make Your Own King Crimson Album thread. At least the Lizard album picked up an extra star from me, because I'd always regarded it as a two-star album before, but after listening to Lizard again for the first time in over forty years, I was rather surprised to find I was actually beginning to like it. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 10 2020 at 03:36
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 03:50
1. Red
2. Starless and Bible Black
3. Discipline
5. In the Court of the Crimson King
6. In the Wake of Poseidon
7. Three of a Perfect Pair
8. Lizard
9. The Power to Believe
10. The ConstruKction of Light
11. Islands
12. Beat
13. THRAK

Very much subject to change: even the top spot isn't stable. Numbers 1-7 I absolutely adore, the three below that I still think are very good, and I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to any of the bottom three but I don't think any of them are bad. In my opinion the only truly bad album with the King Crimson name attached to it is Jakszyk, Fripp & Collins's A Scarcity Of Miracles
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 04:04

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I listened to King Crimson's first eight albums just a few days ago in preparation for choosing my favourite eight songs for the Make Your Own King Crimson Album thread. At least the Lizard album picked up an extra star from me, because I'd always regarded it as a two-star album before, but after listening to Lizard again for the first time in over forty years, I was rather surprised to find I was actually beginning to like it. Smile

Lizard is another fave of mine. I think I generally go for the type of albums that divide opinion..at least regarding the more well-known groups. It’s never intentional though but usually tends to end up that way

My four favourite Crimson albums are Lizard, Larks’ Tongues, Starless & BB and Discipline. I wouldn’t know how to rank these other than to say that they work differently on different occasions. It’s all down to my mood as to which one I’d reach for.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 04:58
If you think LTiA, Discipline & SABB are two star albums I'm not sure why you are spending the time putting yourself through listening to them so that you can contribute to threads. That would be like me listening to Marillion's catalog so I can post in a Make Your Own Marillion album. Dead
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>