FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHey, Wait a Minute!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey, Wait a Minute!
    Posted: May 26 2014 at 17:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^That is an interesting one. I'm not convinced that its much better if I'm totally honest. The first 2 IQ albums were shrouded in murkiness and atmosphere like something evil emerging from the slime. I reckon that might be part of their appeal. IQ were well aware of the restrictions of their recording studios at the time but made the best of it. Later on they fixed this by creating their own record label and building a state of the art recording studio. Remixes can end up sounding hollow like you are stretching the sound beyond its elasticity. I get this sometimes from the Genesis remasters which are often hailed as being the best.
That all said I am still a sucker for a remaster and will be getting my 10th or so remaster of BSS shortly. Embarrassed

Hey Richard. Yeah I remember Peter Nicholls in an interview saying that everyone in the band were pretty well aware of the studio recording originally didn't fly well with the band. I guess in some cases that 'murkiness' can yield some character, but I am a firm audio enthusiast when it comes to taking remastered albums and running them through a pure warm analogue signal, especially through the use of DAC. My best listening experiences are with this format, which is why I love remastered albums in high resolution like 5.1/stereo mixes and DTS 24/96k playback or as you Brits like to use mostly (SACD's.)
It is all worth it, so enjoy your next remaster purchase!!

I suppose at my age there is this element of Nostalgia regarding IQ for me that the remasters doesn't really address. I think fans love the imperfections. I'm not that down on remasters though. ELP - Welcome Back My Friends live album is an example of a good remaster. It was never a perfect album soundwise and would never satisfy audiophiles (is that the correct expression?) like yourself but its nice and clear and has the dynamics intact.
The one that makes my angry is BSS as up to now its been horribly massacred by people attempting to resurrect the quality of the original. I really can't understand why there has been such a trail on ineptitude following my favourite ever album. Oh well here's hoping that the latest attempt can put it right. The guy doing it was also responsible for Anathema's album Weather Systems so I have a bit more hope than usual.Smile

So BSS is your all time fav huh? Incredible high praise there. Can I be honest, I've only heard Karn Evil 9 off that album.
Maybe I should treat myself to this latest remaster, especially to honor the great H.R Giger for his fantastic album artwork on BSS. .

release date is now 31 May per Amazon
Jerusalem , Toccata and Karn Evil represents ELP at their peak .That's 40 minutes of the best prog imo. The other two tracks are inconsequential really (about 5 minutes inc Lakes worst ballad to that date and a throwaway excuse for Emerson to play de-tuned piano) but that accounts for why the album is lowly ranked on PA in case you were wondering. 

Hey. It's an album I feel now is worth lending a kind, open ear to regardless of some poor reviews on here.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 16:03
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

TFTO's beginning with the wash of sound and Steve's guitar swells add much to the piece.  It builds the anticipation for greatness.

There are, of course, generous areas in which we can agree or disagree!  I understand your sentiment, it's just that after forty years of listening to the original work, I find it somewhat distracting.  

I was playing music exactly like that (volume swells using volume pedal on guitar) at about that same time.  I'm not sure who "invented" that, but Robert Fripp and Peter Banks were early adopters of that style.  

You've pointed out Banks' progressive guitar style in the early Yes song "Every Little Thing," and he uses volume pedal extensively.  

Our discussion raises an interesting question - who within the band "signs off" on the addition of these elements to the recording?  Did Anderson, and/or Howe etc. approve, or was this done separately?  I'm not sure....with King Crimson, I believe that Fripp has a hand on the tiller throughout the process.  

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 14:35
TFTO's beginning with the wash of sound and Steve's guitar swells add much to the piece.  It builds the anticipation for greatness.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 11:50
Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

The remastered TFTO includes all sorts of ambient music in the beginning of "Revealing Science of God" which I find annoying.  

I also noticed that when listening to that song last week, when I received my "Studio Albums 1969 - 1987". The older CD version I have goes directly into "Dawn of light lying between...". Do you remember which is the original version ? I do have the LP from1973, but I'm too lazy to go take it and listen to it now... Anyway, I prefer the direct intro.

I agree!  The original LP and early (pre-remastered) CDs eliminated nearly all of the ambient noodling, although you can hear just a trace of it preceding "Dawn of light lying"...

Apparently, the noodling bits were originally recorded, but left on the cutting room floor for brevity's sake.  I don't think they add much to the song, and dilute the impact of the choral opening.   Just me, mind you!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 07:22
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Perhaps this will help to clarify - 

ClapLOLTongueLOLClap

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 05:35

^That is an interesting one. I'm not convinced that its much better if I'm totally honest. The first 2 IQ albums were shrouded in murkiness and atmosphere like something evil emerging from the slime. I reckon that might be part of their appeal. IQ were well aware of the restrictions of their recording studios at the time but made the best of it. Later on they fixed this by creating their own record label and building a state of the art recording studio. Remixes can end up sounding hollow like you are stretching the sound beyond its elasticity. I get this sometimes from the Genesis remasters which are often hailed as being the best.
That all said I am still a sucker for a remaster and will be getting my 10th or so remaster of BSS shortly. Embarrassed

Hey Richard. Yeah I remember Peter Nicholls in an interview saying that everyone in the band were pretty well aware of the studio recording originally didn't fly well with the band. I guess in some cases that 'murkiness' can yield some character, but I am a firm audio enthusiast when it comes to taking remastered albums and running them through a pure warm analogue signal, especially through the use of DAC. My best listening experiences are with this format, which is why I love remastered albums in high resolution like 5.1/stereo mixes and DTS 24/96k playback or as you Brits like to use mostly (SACD's.)

I suppose at my age there is this element of Nostalgia regarding IQ for me that the remasters doesn't really address. I think fans love the imperfections. I'm not that down on remasters though. ELP - Welcome Back My Friends live album is an example of a good remaster. It was never a perfect album soundwise and would never satisfy audiophiles (is that the correct expression?) like yourself but its nice and clear and has the dynamics intact.
The one that makes my angry is BSS as up to now its been horribly massacred by people attempting to resurrect the quality of the original. I really can't understand why there has been such a trail on ineptitude following my favourite ever album. Oh well here's hoping that the latest attempt can put it right. The guy doing it was also responsible for Anathema's album Weather Systems so I have a bit more hope than usual.Smile

So BSS is your all time fav huh? Incredible high praise there. Can I be honest, I've only heard Karn Evil 9 off that album.
Maybe I should treat myself to this latest remaster, especially to honor the great H.R Giger for his fantastic album artwork on BSS. .

release date is now 31 May per Amazon

Jerusalem , Toccata and Karn Evil represents ELP at their peak .That's 40 minutes of the best prog imo. The other two tracks are inconsequential really (about 5 minutes inc Lakes worst ballad to that date and a throwaway excuse for Emerson to play de-tuned piano) but that accounts for why the album is lowly ranked on PA in case you were wondering. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2014 at 00:41

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 10:46
Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

The remastered TFTO includes all sorts of ambient music in the beginning of "Revealing Science of God" which I find annoying.  

I also noticed that when listening to that song last week, when I received my "Studio Albums 1969 - 1987". The older CD version I have goes directly into "Dawn of light lying between...". Do you remember which is the original version ? I do have the LP from1973, but I'm too lazy to go take it and listen to it now... Anyway, I prefer the direct intro.

the original LP goes straight into "Dawn of light", the extended intro was added for the Rhino remaster.
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 10:34

Symphonic Prog Master
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 02:03

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 23:36

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 08:14
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

You mean the guitar intro that was cut from the original vinyl release and restored again for the remaster?
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 05:48
My personal definition of prog is when everyone else says: that sounds crap.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 00:58

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 23:23
Once again...in some cases ''yes' and others 'no.'
Some albums need major restoration. I think my latest example and experience of quality album overhauling(remastering) would be IQ's Tales Of The Lush Attic. Listen to the 2013 remastering and remixing of that album as apposed to the 1983 pressing. The 83' pressing is marred by absolutely sh*t audio engineering and production.
I feel this is a good example of an album that needed a digital facelift.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 12:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

^ I second that.  LP's used to be state of the art, but they really aren't any more for me.  And the early CD's were put out were from the original LP masters and were not adapted for CD.

I actually prefer older CDs to the remastered, re-engineered ones for the most part.  My CTTE CD seems like it was cut from original tapes or a master vinyl disc, so it has background hiss etc.  Just like Eddie Offord would have heard it.  

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 06:18
^ I second that.  LP's used to be state of the art, but they really aren't any more for me.  And the early CD's were put out were from the original LP masters and were not adapted for CD.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 06:13
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I have always considered "remastered" releases to be an excuse by record companies, artists, or others merely to squeeze more money out of the poor old punter, and, as such, I rarely bother to get them, unless there is something wholly new that I absolutely must have.
By and large, the originals are the best way to taste the goods.

ThisClap 

You can't say this definitively. Some yes and some no for audio remastering.
I can say this definitively and I will. In fact I am going to stick a big fatApprove here too. Well done meClap

As a listener who appreciates audio quality, I have to disagree. No way I would listen to my favourite bands only on those old LPs (or even the original CDs, from 1988 or something like that). I have to agree, though, that some remasters are pure crap. Companies have to find a way to make money in a capitalist world, don't they ? I guess it's up to us to analyse the remaster and conclude if it is worth buying or not. I don't think we can say all of them are this or that...
Symphonic Prog Master
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 04:32

I have always considered "remastered" releases to be an excuse by record companies, artists, or others merely to squeeze more money out of the poor old punter, and, as such, I rarely bother to get them, unless there is something wholly new that I absolutely must have.

ThisClap 

You can't say this definitively. Some yes and some no for audio remastering.
I can say this definitively and I will. In fact I am going to stick a big fatApprove here too. Well done meClap
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 03:22

Indeed...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>