Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes in Edmonton, Canada
    Posted: March 27 2014 at 13:18
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/03/25/prog-rockers-yes-wow-edmonton-boomers 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 13:45
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 13:49
no clue! Was he referring to Roger? Oh well, positive review  though
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 13:53
Apparently he did this, not quite Roger Dean.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 13:54
The more I read it, the more I think he just made a mistake

"For while those outworldly album covers by Frank Frazetta made the band’s music seem better than it actually was, when you were at that point in the evening where you were pulling out the Yes records from your record shelf, you and your friends were probably aware that the LSD had finally taken effect."

Edited by chopper - March 27 2014 at 13:55
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2014 at 22:43
Indeed he was mistaken about the Frazetta thing. I still don't understand why this guys, if they hate prog so much, keep up torturing themselves listening to it and going to their concerts so that they can make a review and say how bad it is and how wrong it is to try to make art out of rock and so on. Though this guy was weird, in some way he seemed to be able to enjoy a little bit of the music, but at the same time he was critizising it. Plus, he seemed to talk about some things without really knowing about it... specially about the drugs thing. I mean, surely many of the prog artists drugged themselves, but as far as I understand it wasn't like something they all did. I remember reading about one of them saying (Steve Howe, perhaps), that drugging themselves would only get in the way of performing properly.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 06:14
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Indeed he was mistaken about the Frazetta thing. I still don't understand why this guys, if they hate prog so much, keep up torturing themselves listening to it and going to their concerts so that they can make a review and say how bad it is and how wrong it is to try to make art out of rock and so on. Though this guy was weird, in some way he seemed to be able to enjoy a little bit of the music, but at the same time he was critizising it. Plus, he seemed to talk about some things without really knowing about it... specially about the drugs thing. I mean, surely many of the prog artists drugged themselves, but as far as I understand it wasn't like something they all did. I remember reading about one of them saying (Steve Howe, perhaps), that drugging themselves would only get in the way of performing properly.

I don't think the review is critical.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 07:12
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Nor me - tongue firmly in cheek certainly, but critical? No.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2014 at 21:37
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Nor me - tongue firmly in cheek certainly, but critical? No.

It was a mixed review. It seems clear to me that he knows the band and prog in general, and is capable of apreciating in to a degree. But at the same time, I don't think he was particularly fond of the genre, and would be on the side of labelling it pretentious and so on (not exactly the words he used, though).
 Post Reply Post Reply