3 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:46
Never followed Grunge when it came out (probably too old to appreciate the movement) - although if it succeeded in cutting down those generic hair-rock bands from LA etc. It did a bit of good. I can listen to the odd track and like much of the bands who survived the initial hype, but have a preference for the post-grunge era, which moved it back to classic rock in many ways.

I quite like djent, and I've even seen bands like Animals as Leaders from time to time - but a little does go a long way. Getting through a whole album is a test of endurance. It also has to be purely instrumental for me. Just can't be doing with the rough, growling vocals of bands like Meshuggah - which is a pity - as the instrumental side of them is great. Often bands bring out instrumental only versions of albums, which I can enjoy.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 19:16
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Never heard about Djent, also not the bands that is mentioned as examples of it. How itīs described here I donīt think I have lost anything. Really like to make a poll from the genres I just made myself, but not of course make it because said it here.

I disagree about that Grunge didnīt exist, at least it was a last great youth movement (I was a part of it).

Grunge was just a ploy by Thrift Shops to get the youth to buy their used, grungy clothes. The only real movement I remember was how low those baggy pants could move down their inelegant arses. (j/k)
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 23:11
^Probaly you were too old when Grunge came. Yes, I think also term Grunge might be ridicilous and I donīt also think itīs inventer Mark Arm and also other Seattle musicians take it very serious. More I think itīs the second movement of punk (or the third if you think great garage bands in the begin of sixties, but then it wasnīt as big as seventies and nineties). It really wasnīt just some fashion movement, it was the last big youth musical movement that started from the youth, not any businessmen. Here in Finland was only one band (SubUrban Tribe) that was called Grungeband and I didnīt like that at all. But like in the US, in the end of eighties really great alternative, sort of punkmovement started. There were lots of great bands, many zines and lots of small gigs were played many bands. Nowdays Finland hasnīt really got anything like that. Also there born bands a little later that took influence from Nirvana and others, for example Apulanta who become quite famous. And yes, Finnish youth really wanted so see Nirvana in 1992 in Ruisrock, I was there, although the gig wasnīt the greatest in my life, I havenīt ever seen as much the youth of my age to come to see one gig, also atmosphere was really great. I am really thankful I had opportunity to live a great youth in that time.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 05:42
I honestly think djent sucks.
Grunge by a lightyear. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12