Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Admit it - Sometimes, you just can't go back...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdmit it - Sometimes, you just can't go back...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 11:30
Damn these Dio discussions - just went on to Amazon & very nearly got caught... then I saw how Amazon describe him:

Quote The grand wizard of classic rock. A poet of hope for the downtrodden

That stopped me!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 14:29
Stargazer will always sound great to me even the cheesy over the top lyrics

My boss dragged me along to a Dio gig in Camden Town albout 10 years ago on the pretext he was going to perform a bunch of Rainbow songs... he didn'tLOL

I can't think of anything to fit this thread. I loved The Sweet when I was a kid and I still love their best material. Give Us A Wink stands the test of time for me.

Queen I sort of got bored with very quickly although they were almost as good as The Sweet on a good dayTongue

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 19:18
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Damn these Dio discussions - just went on to Amazon & very nearly got caught... then I saw how Amazon describe him:

Quote The grand wizard of classic rock. A poet of hope for the downtrodden

That stopped me!

What, they thought all shorties like Dio are downtrodden? LOL
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2014 at 19:21
I've got Dio cranked as i speak & loving it,really teleporting me back in time.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 02:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Stargazer will always sound great to me even the cheesy over the top lyrics

Absolutely - Stargazer/Light In The Black was the highpoint for me of Rainbow's studio output; Dio's responsible for some absolute stone cold classics, but my point is when you look back, you only remember the real classic songs.

It's not just Dio (far from it - I just used him as an example of leaving his albums in my past with 30 year old rose coloured specs to prevent disappointment), but you know how it is with that album you remember when maybe a little tiddly & within reach of Amazon's 'buy with one click' button - when the purchase arrives, the classic riffs inside your head then get joined to the less than classic filler tracks & the ill judged attempt at a commercial single. The classic drum fills you remember reveal themselves to actually sound like a pile of saucepans being played by your granny with knitting needles & that killer moog solo now sounds like someone drowning a duck in custard...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 03:09
Yeah, you gotta admit much of his solo output is pretty ropey. I remember reading a review for The Last in Line arguing convincingly for it being the source of every stereotype people have about "generic '80s metal". (I'm not actually persuaded though)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 03:36
when you get a moment Jim, I'd love your recipe for Custard-drowned Duck
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 10:01
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Yeah, you gotta admit much of his solo output is pretty ropey. I remember reading a review for The Last in Line arguing convincingly for it being the source of every stereotype people have about "generic '80s metal". (I'm not actually persuaded though)

It kind of did slip into a generic 80s metal rut. Maybe more on the NWOBHM side of things, which meant it was still listenable but by Sacred Heart it got very repetitive. It was ok for Dio to reprise the formula of the two Sabbath albums for Holy Diver but he really needed to get a move on thereafter.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 07:07
I used to own a Vanilla Fudge album in my youth (don't remember which one) and I had a listen to some of their stuff on Spotify the other day.

All I can say is Dead. I know they had quite an influence on Yes in their early days (i.e. doing long cover versions) but even so...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 07:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Call me an old faeces cataloging buffoon if you like, but would a Moog solo where the duck was spared it's unedifying creme patissiere demise, resemble a normal Moog solo?

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 08:08
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I used to own a Vanilla Fudge album in my youth (don't remember which one) and I had a listen to some of their stuff on Spotify the other day.

All I can say is Dead. I know they had quite an influence on Yes in their early days (i.e. doing long cover versions) but even so...
I thought they had a few cool tracks now and then like this one....doing Uriah Heep before the Heep did. Wink 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 02:55
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Call me an old faeces cataloging buffoon if you like, but would a Moog solo where the duck was spared it's unedifying creme patissiere demise, resemble a normal Moog solo?

An interesting question.

Think of one of the best moog solos you can (most of Mr Wakeman's oevre should suffice in this case, but I'd recommend in particular the 1972 live coda of Starship Trooper) - this is a prime example of said waterfowl not only escaping said demise, but actively enjoying a pleasant swim in a nice warm bowl of creme anglais.

Now think of the closing section of ELP's 'Lucky Man'*

Dead duck.

*the most un-necessary & overblown moog solo in history where even Carl Palmer gets bored halfway through, stops playing & buggers off down the pub

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 10:47
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I thought their music was awful ..even when I first heard it in the 60's and most people thought it was cool. It influenced Deep Purple to some extreme measures, but it had little to do with the way that Vince Martell played guitar. I couldn't understand the hype because if Syd Barrett were to take LSD, D-tune his guitar and strum endlessly, it would sound a light year better or beyond anything Vince Martell could produce. I mean..just listen to his solo's in "The Break Song". What's up with that? The vocal style of Vanilla Fudge was technically good, but the style ..I was not fond of. Carmine Appice was a very influential drummer to generations of musicians. He's a superb Jazz player and fused a slight Ginger Baker mentality with a Jazz style that inspired many great drummers in the Rock industry to approach drumming differently. Honest to God...Carmine Appice had a huge impact in the world of musicians. It's just a little shady how he has often hooked up with the wrong units. Vanilla Fudge influenced many bands because of their structure and their brilliant idea to combine the usage of organ and guitar which colored a  change to Rock music. It doesn't give them medals for being some outstanding band in the jamming or writing department. Deep Purple just wanted to be a lot like them regarding structure because they had their own ideas on how to develop it further, creating a more distinctive appealing sound that supposedly went on to influence Metal.

Edited by TODDLER - April 16 2014 at 10:48
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 11:18
Dream Theater: Metropolis pt 2 through octavarium.  Can never understand what I loved so much about that stuff, can't stand it anymore.  The albums before that I still listen to seldomly but in small doses.

Same thing goes for Rush... do not like them anymore

I used to get such a rush (LOL)  from that stuff... what happened? And I'm not even going to try to mention stuff I liked before the progaissance

Edited by bloodnarfer - April 16 2014 at 11:18
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 11:24
I took the pee out of ELP a couple of posts above, but to be honest, I used to love all their stuff, couldn't get enough of it, but now...?

++shakes head++

Dear oh dear

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2014 at 11:57
The first 2 ELP albums are the only ones I can still listen to with a straight face (and I still love Tarkus).  Virtuosity and outrageous keyboard sounds just don't impress me like they used to.

I've always felt a little bad about never being a fan of the Vanilla Fudge.  Seeing Johnny's post above made me feel a little better about myself.

Edited by HolyMoly - April 16 2014 at 11:59
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234