Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChallenge to early Supertramp fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 20:21
Famous Last Words has its share of very good crossover tracks ; Waiting So Long and Don't Leave Me Now are excellent, opener Crazy is pretty darn fine, even the nostalgic My Kind Of Lady wins me over. Probably a little underrated though a strong 3 is about right overall.
(Always editing coz I get lots of typos via my iPod)

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 05 2014 at 20:28
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 21:48
Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

"Shadow Song" is Hodgson singing - it just sounds a bit unusual because the verses are quite low for Hodgson's means. On later Supertramp records he would compose his melodies a few notes higher, resulting in a very different mixture of harmonics/overtones. Compare the vocals in the first verse of "Shadow Song" with the first verse of "Easy Does It" and "Rosie Had Everything Planned" and Hodgson's lead vocals in the (low) beginnings of the verses of "It's A Long Road" - the timbre is very much the same.

Richard Palmer-James most definitely doesn't sing lead vocals on "Shadow Song" ... he has a raspier voice which tends to break (or get a bit breathy) when he sings such high notes, such as in "Maybe I'm A Beggar".

And it doesn't sound like Rick Davies to me either; I don't suppose that Rick Davies would have been able to hide the growl in his voice (which he already had by that time) that perfectly. "Times Have Changed" on "Indelibly Stamped" could be a good comparison. I guess it's possible that Davies sang "Shadow Song" when the band performed it live - maybe to be able to maintain the fluid segue to the harmony vocal part - this might be what RPJ remembers. "Shadow Song" definitely sounds like a Davies ballad (like "Downstream" or "Poor Boy") but the slightly nasal and high-pitched timbre of the voice singing the song on the album is certainly Hodgson.

By the way;  this beautiful video has recently surfaced on the web: late-1969 Supertramp (aka Daddy) playing "All Along The Watchtower" in Munich, heavily inspired by The Nice. Smile   http://www.frequency.com/video/rarely-seen-early-video-of-supertramp/141960346/-/5-2499

Definitely not Hodgson, my friend ! Even when Roger sings low, his voice is still very characteristic, very unique. As you noted, it's a matter of timbre. That doesn't change. About one thing we agree, though: it's not Davies. Richard Palmer has a softer, gentler voice than Davies's. That's the reason why it might sound like Roger at first. Both have crisp voices. If you listen to it many times and compare that voice with the one in Maybe I'm a Beggar, you'll surely notice it's the same guy singing. Listen to the bit from 0:42 to 0:48 from Maybe I'm a Beggar. Note that Palmer's voice trembles a bit on the word "much" from "I ain't got too much sense". It's the same trembling that happens in "figure" from "figure on a lamplit wall" in Shadow Song. Hodgson joins in at 1:21 doing the harmony vocal.

Anyway, your comment was totally worth because of that video you shared with us. I was looking madly for that ! Actually, I think the last time I search for it was last month. I saw it about 2 years ago and wasn't able to find again ever since. Thanks !
Symphonic Prog Master
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2014 at 04:49
Originally posted by claugroi claugroi wrote:

Definitely not Hodgson, my friend !

If it was that definite, I suppose this thread wouldn't exist. Wink I get the point that "Shadow Song" has very unusual vocals - it's not easy to define who sang it.

Quote If you listen to it many times and compare that voice with the one in Maybe I'm a Beggar, you'll surely notice it's the same guy singing. Listen to the bit from 0:42 to 0:48 from Maybe I'm a Beggar.

RPJ's voice in "Maybe I'm A Beggar" is indeed crisp, but it is smooth in the basic tones and a bit raspier in the higher overtones. Roger Hodgson, however, had this typical roundness somewhere in the mids of the sound spectrum - a kind of nasal resonance which also occurs in "Shadow Song", for instance in the "on a" in "on a lamplit wall".
Comparing the beginning of "I Am Not Like Other Birds of Prey" ('morning at last') with "Shadow Song" is another evidence.
Please note that the melodies of "Shadow Song" (E-F#-A-H-A-C#'-F#-E) and "Maybe I'm A Beggar" (D-F-A-F-G...) are sung in the very same register. "Shadow Song" later ventures in the higher octave, but in the beginning of the verses both songs are in the same octave. While I would have deemed it possible that RPJ sang "Shadow Song" if it had him singing in a higher register than on "Maybe I'm A Beggar", it's hard for me to believe that it's him when it's actually the same register.
(Indeed it's much easier to sing Roger Hodgson's songs than, for instance, Jon Anderson's because Hodgson quite often stays the regular tenor area - it's his prominent overtones which make his voice appear that high.)

Quote Note that Palmer's voice trembles a bit on the word "much" from "I ain't got too much sense". It's the same trembling that happens in "figure" from "figure on a lamplit wall" in Shadow Song.

It's a similar technique, but it's a technique which is easily reproduceable by aspirating a word when singing it. (Rick Davies also uses it in the "we will stay" part in "Downstream", by the way.) It's no integral part of the unique timbre of a voice, so it's no reliable proof, I'm afraid. The only useful points in this debate are timbre and recollections by the participating musicians.

Another thing you'd have to explain is why RPJ (wrongly) attributes the lead vocal to Rick Davies if it's actually RPJ singing. Musicians forget a lot of details about sessions, but they definitely don't forget the moment when they sing their first (and only) true lead vocal on a commercial record. Wink

Quote Hodgson joins in at 1:21 doing the harmony vocal.

Yes. Big smile

Anyway, your comment was totally worth because of that video you shared with us. I was looking madly for that ! Actually, I think the last time I search for it was last month. I saw it about 2 years ago and wasn't able to find again ever since. Thanks !

Nice to hear it had any use. LOL  A fine video indeed - it's amazing how the band keep that crazy rhythm in the very end. RPJ could have carried on as a guitarist as well.

Edited by Einsetumadur - April 06 2014 at 05:05
All in all each man in all men
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 15:48
Quote If it was that definite, I suppose this thread wouldn't exist. Wink I get the point that "Shadow Song" has very unusual vocals - it's not easy to define who sang it.

Hahaha, that's right, but the thing is that the thread started with two possibilities: Rick Davies and Richard Palmer. I just didn't expect someone would suggest Roger Hodgson. I hope no one suggests Robert Millar (the drummer) ! But indeed, Shadow Song might the biggest mystery of Supertramp's career regarding the vocals. They do sound very different from any other.

Quote It's a similar technique, but it's a technique which is easily reproduceable by aspirating a word when singing it. (Rick Davies also uses it in the "we will stay" part in "Downstream", by the way.) It's no integral part of the unique timbre of a voice, so it's no reliable proof, I'm afraid. The only useful points in this debate are timbre and recollections by the participating musicians.

I know that's a technique linked to the singer's style of singing, not the timbre, but it sounds very similar in Maybe I'm a Beggar and Shadow Song. It's not really a proof, but more of a hint. It wasn't a frequently used technique by Hodgson. I don't remember him singing like that with the exception of Hide in Your Shell (nor do I remember Davies singing "we will stay" that way). Anyway, I think it's undeniable the voice timbre in Shadow Song is very unusual, otherwise there would be no debate about that (and so many different opinions about who sang it).

Quote Another thing you'd have to explain is why RPJ (wrongly) attributes the lead vocal to Rick Davies if it's actually RPJ singing. Musicians forget a lot of details about sessions, but they definitely don't forget the moment when they sing their first (and only) true lead vocal on a commercial record. Wink

As I said in the first post of the topic, I truly believe Palmer misremembered this information. He sang little on the album, but that wasn't his only lead there. He is the lead singer on the aforementioned Maybe I'm a Beggar, which has Hodgson was a second lead in the middle parts.

Quote Hodgson joins in at 1:21 doing the harmony vocal.

Yes. Big smile

To me, that's the biggest proof it isn't Roger singing. The album was recorded in a hurry (as every album is) and with low investment (don't forget the band produced the whole album alone). They probably couldn't afford overdubbing sessions. Notice that no song on the record is overdubbed. When there are two lead vocals or harmony vocals, it's another singer doing it (they had 3, so it sure wasn't a problem).

Anyway, it seems both our theories are wrong, since both Richard Palmer AND Roger Hodgson have said in interviews it's Rick singing. Rick himself is the only one who hasn't talked about it (we even have the opinions of a live sound engineer and a crew member). I'm currently waiting for an answer by Sue Davies, Rick's wife. I'm assuming she will ask Rick himself, so, if she says he did sing it, I guess we'll have to accept it...
Symphonic Prog Master
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2014 at 23:10
^ I am sure Davies is divorced and Sue does not manage him anymore. Not certain...
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 02:07
He turns 70 this year in Juli 22
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 02:10
Richard Palmer also sings on Try Again
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 12:01
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

Richard Palmer also sings on Try Again

Yes. Well, kind of. Palmer himself said "TRY AGAIN: Roger (I am whispering in unison on the verses)" in an e-mail I had the opportunity to receive from a Supertramp contact.

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ I am sure Davies is divorced and Sue does not manage him anymore. Not certain...

The same contact mentioned above said he has sent a message to "Sue, Rick's wife", not "ex-wife". I don't know if she is still managing him (I guess not), but I think they are still married. By the way, have you ever heard a hoax about Hodgson's departure from the band that blamed his wife and Rick's ? I've heard that some time ago, but don't think it was actually the reason for that.
Symphonic Prog Master
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 12:27
Interestinf fun fact is that Scott Gorham also wanted to/was asked to become rythem guitarist in Supertramp, the Thin Lizzy came into the picture and tge rest is history

Edited by aginor - April 09 2014 at 12:28
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 15:43

Hahaha, that's right, but the thing is that the thread started with two possibilities: Rick Davies and Richard Palmer.
As I said in the first post of the topic, I truly believe Palmer misremembered this information. He sang little on the album, but that wasn't his only lead there. He is the lead singer on the aforementioned Maybe I'm a Beggar, which has Hodgson was a second lead in the middle parts.

The strange compromise on Wikipedia is (at the moment) "[both] Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson" on lead vocals. No Palmer vocals currently in the Wiki text ... which means, that Hodgson is in the debate as well.

I knew the lead vocal aspect was going to be mentioned. LOL This is why I hastily added "true lead vocal". My point is that "Shadow Song" would be the only song on which Palmer sings the complete lead vocal - while Hodgson sings backing. Since it's an outstanding vocal performance I'd be pretty sure that a musician such as RPJ wouldn't attribute it wrongly if it had been his performance. He didn't do a lot of vocals on records, and I can't imagine
(He would possibly attribute it wrongly if he had only played this balalaika thing on the song.)

To me, that's the biggest proof it isn't Roger singing. The album was recorded in a hurry (as every album is) and with low investment (don't forget the band produced the whole album alone). They probably couldn't afford overdubbing sessions. Notice that no song on the record is overdubbed. When there are two lead vocals or harmony vocals, it's another singer doing it (they had 3, so it sure wasn't a problem).

At 3:33 in "Shadow Song" a second harmony voice enters, making it 3 voices at the same time at this place. The slight flutter in the tape hiss before 3:33 suggests that this vocal part has been overdubbed. And the third voice sounds like one of the two other voices - of course, I don't know which and whose. LOL

Anyway, it seems both our theories are wrong, since both Richard Palmer AND Roger Hodgson have said in interviews it's Rick singing. Rick himself is the only one who hasn't talked about it (we even have the opinions of a live sound engineer and a crew member). I'm currently waiting for an answer by Sue Davies, Rick's wife. I'm assuming she will ask Rick himself, so, if she says he did sing it, I guess we'll have to accept it...

If it's Rick, it would be Rick singing in falsetto range. This could explain the strange timbre because he rarely sang falsetto.
I somehow Remember Rick singing some rare falsetto backings on "Gone Hollywood" or so - it might be interesting to listen to this piece again. (If it ain't Helliwell singing this ... LOL)

Edited by Einsetumadur - April 09 2014 at 15:46
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 20:31
Quote The strange compromise on Wikipedia is (at the moment) "[both] Rick Davies and Roger Hodgson" on lead vocals. No Palmer vocals currently in the Wiki text ... which means, that Hodgson is in the debate as well.

It says so because both sing. Roger starts doing a kind of harmony, but actually sings the whole song from 1:21 on together with the main singer. Richard Palmer himself wrote about the vocals on Shadow Song: "Rick (Roger sings harmonies, and lead in the 'middle 8’)". On 3:33, however, I agree with you that it sounds like there are 3 voices. They either did a short overdub there or the third singer joined in. It sounds to me like there are two Hodgson voices in those last verses, one on the right channel and another (higher-pitched) on the left, together with the lead singer.

Quote If it's Rick, it would be Rick singing in falsetto range. This could explain the strange timbre because he rarely sang falsetto.I somehow Remember Rick singing some rare falsetto backings on "Gone Hollywood" or so - it might be interesting to listen to this piece again. (If it ain't Helliwell singing this ... LOL)

In my original remarks about the singer in Shadow Song, I said that I was convinced that voice was not Davies's because it didn't sound like him neither in the verses, when the voice is full, nor in the middle parts, when the voice is in falsetto. Davies gave us few demonstrations of his falsetto singing, indeed, but we can hear them quite well in Goodbye, Stranger and My Kind of Lady (I'm not even counting the horn impersonation at the intro of Poor Boy, which is hilarious !). I really can't believe the crisp, clear and gentle sounding falsetto singing on the left channel of the middle part is the same as the clumsy and funny ones we hear on the two songs I mentioned (the falsetto on the right is Hodgson -- Palmer himself said neither he nor Rick could reach those high notes, only Roger).
Symphonic Prog Master
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 09:46

Davies gave us few demonstrations of his falsetto singing, indeed, but we can hear them quite well in Goodbye, Stranger and My Kind of Lady (I'm not even counting the horn impersonation at the intro of Poor Boy, which is hilarious !).

Ah, I mixed up "Gone Hollywood" and "Goodbye Stranger". Confused

I think Davies'  's' sound (such as in "feel no sorrow") is a lot more hissier than Hodgson's or Palmer's. His falsetto rather sounds like disco-era Bee Gees than like the voice in "Shadow Song". I don't believe that either.

Unfortunately, Palmer left very few documents of the voice he had when he was young, which makes comparing quite hard. But in the end, I think the most striking argument against Palmer singing is that he would remember what he sang on the best-known album he performed on.

Maybe someone sometime can contact him in his hut in Lower Bavaria and ask him again. Wink
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 18:13
Quote Unfortunately, Palmer left very few documents of the voice he had when he was young, which makes comparing quite hard. 

That's true. We have only another song on the album to compare with.

Quote Maybe someone sometime can contact him in his hut in Lower Bavaria and ask him again. Wink

Does he still live there ? Do you know the address ?? Hahaha, just kiding... Abel Fuentes, one of the two guys responsible for The Logical Web (one of the biggest Supertramp fan sites), has already done it at my request, but via e-mail. Palmer just said the same thing he had said on the original interview from 2011. Not a big surprise...
Symphonic Prog Master
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 01:05
It's PJ on some of the verses of Maybe I'm A Beggar, it's most definitely the 'weaker' voice of the 3 singers.
I wonder if Gabriel was inspired by the front cover of this Supertramp debut ??
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 02:20
He also coined tge band name, ;)
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 12:53
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I wonder if Gabriel was inspired by the front cover of this Supertramp debut ??

Me too. Perhaps he did, who knows ?

Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

He also coined tge band name, ;)

That's true. Undoubtedly, his biggest contribution to the group !
Symphonic Prog Master
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 13:38
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

^ my dear chap, if I relied upon every obscure review on the intertit, especially those with a Russian address, to provide me with such facts, or leads, I would be in a pretty sorry state.
Also, old Phil has never stated in a interview that Gabriel sang For Absent Friends. Quite the oppositeWink
Now then. 41 years ago. 1973. April. The second.
I was living in Harlow, Essex. I was 8 years old (nine in that year). We lived in a place called Red Lion Crescent. My best mate was a lad called Paul Mason. I used to fight a lot with Wayne Bowden.
At this time on that night, I had just finished watching Alias Smith & Jones, one of the finest tv shows ever made. My Mum had just smacked me for telling my annoying little sister to feck off.
How's that, then?Approve

Well laz - I think you're mind is going a bit - the TV show was called "ALAS, Smith & Jones".... (however I cannot verify any of the other facts in the statement - so seeing as I think you're spiffing chap - I will all take as being TRUE!

I told him that, but he said he was referring to the original series, which was actually called ALIAS Smith & Jones, the series on which the pun ALAS Smith & Jones was based. As for the rest, indeed no one can tell if it is true !
Symphonic Prog Master
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 13:54
Aye- I deleted my post once I had realised that he was referring to the western - programme - which I remember vaguely!!! but not quickly enough obviously !!!! HAHAHA
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 13:58
Mind you - I appreciated loads of complete codswallop when I was a kid - I even loved "Dukes of Hazzard" when I was an early teen- I even read some Jilly Cooper in that period as well (Posh girls in riding pinks , getting all spanky with loads of naughty sex bits in) - when I was 13 anything with sex in was a big hit (Early james Herbert....)
claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 14:00
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Aye- I deleted my post once I had realised that he was referring to the western - programme - which I remember vaguely!!! but not quickly enough obviously !!!! HAHAHA

LOL

I can't even say I remember the second show, which was aired almost 10 years before I was born !
Symphonic Prog Master
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>